Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Park Zone Radio & Battery

Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Stamey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park Zone Radio & Battery

Lately I am working at getting the T-28 from PZ. The airplane looks good and people seem to like the way she handles. Here is my question though. I am currently running and old S400 JR 4CH Radio system. I am thinking of getting the PNP version of the 28, but the RTF comes with what is said to be a good quality 5+ ZX10 Radio System. In the future sometime, I would like to upgrade to a new radio such as a 6CH JR, but I am wondering if maybe I should just go ahead with the radio system for the RTF instead of using mine? What are your guys opinions please? I like the idea of PZ providing a 5+ reusable radio system, but maybe it is not as good quality as a JR? I don't do much broad flying, just fly one or two planes every weekend right now so wouldn't need a major new 2.4Ghz system. Lastly, I am pretty sure but wanted to double check on battery capacity verses time. If I go with a 2250Mah lipo pack, it would give me more flight time and or power than say a 1800Mah pack, correct? Ok, if you guys can just shed some light and knowledge on these things that would be great. Thanks and happy landings
Old 10-28-2008, 10:30 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Park Zone Radio & Battery

I would say save your money until you have enough to get a 2.4GHZ radio, say like a DX6i or DX7, rather than get an RTF radio which you will definitely give up soon.

In terms of battery capacity, the Mah (milliamp-hours) is the capacity of the battery, i.e. the total energy stored in it, so the higher the number, the more energy, and hence flight time, it has. Bear in mind that mah also directly relates to the weight of the battery.

VERY ROUGHLY, in my experience to date (and I am very inexperienced), a small plane of 20 ounces or so flying around on a 3S pack might use 100-120 mah per minute of casual flight, so you might get 12-15 minutes from an 3S 1800mah pack. A larger plane like a trainer or 25e size (Ultra Stick, Diamante), flying on a 4S may use 200-300 mah per minute, depending on power system, and more particularly, how spiritedly you fly. So you might get 10-15 minutes on a 4S 4000mah pack.

But what do I know.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:23 AM
reuben199

Hey Stamey,
I also brought a parkzone plane (aerobird swift) which was also marketed with re-useable radiogear (5-AP), however the parkzone receiver soon started glitching and was unusable. I then brought a spektrum DX6i, which is great! its much more user friendly and I won't be updating it for years, it has so many features that you won't get from cheaper gear (that will cost you more in the long run) and as there are a lot more receivers available for the spektrum gear you are sure to be able to find one that works for any future planes

I can see where your coming from as its basicly what I did, and now I see that I would have been better off saving for a bit longer and purchasing better gear, which would also work for me as I progressed in this hobby. -Reuben
Old 10-29-2008, 12:30 AM
bigwood212

get a dx6i or even a dx5e. I have a dx6i and its great. I could probly get away with a dx5e though since i dont use mixes and stuff. If your flying parkzone stuff dx5e will do everything and more.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:38 AM
reuben199

Hey bigwood,
The DX6i is great, is the DX5 computerized? and DSM2? they were the main things that sold me on the DX6i, it future proofed it for me. -Reuben
Old 10-29-2008, 01:55 AM
Stamey

Hey guys.
Thanks a bunch for your great help and info! I actually just ran across the DX5 and DX6 in my magazines and about dropped over dead at the affordable prices for a 2.4GHz system! Unbelievable! I currently do have an electric (skyartec t-34) that I am putting together so will stay with it for now and I think I am going to use the money to grab me a DX5 or DX6. That way I get the best gear on the market today which will last me for a while and no hassles and worry about getting the t-28 in the spring. Been wanting to upgrade my radio gear anyway I do only run scale and electric planes so maybe the dx5 would be plenty and at such an awesome price too Thanks for your guys help again, it's such a nice community of pilots here. PS, if I am reading correctly, the DX radios do Not need a digital servo correct? Thanks again and happy landings :-)
Old 10-29-2008, 08:50 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Get the DX6i, not the DX6. The DX6i is a full range DSM2 radio, the DX6 is limited to just using the AR6000 park flyer radio (it's not a DSM2 radio).
Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 AM
johnpcunningham

I would go to EBAY and purchase a DX7 without the receiver or servos. Cost will be around $140 to $170 for the radio. The DX7 is a much better radio in terms of channels and a larger screen.
This will allow you to use any of the DSM2 modules. I have not used the DX6i or the DX5 radios, but from what I have seen, the DX7 will serv you better. These are good radios, but the
20 module storage and larger LCD is a worthwhile feature.

Investing in a radio is a tough choice, but we all have found that you should get a radio that you will grow with. At one time we all thought we would only have a plane or two, then you end up
with a lot of planes as time goes on. I started with the DX6 and it was a good radio, but once I started to fly Nitro, I needed the full range modules. I sold my DX6 and went with the DX7 and
never looked back.

JC
Old 10-29-2008, 08:07 PM
lou1947

I agree with the purchase of the spectrun DX7. You dont want to buy a radio that will get you by for the next six to nine months.If you think that you are going to go nitro sometime in the future the dx6i is not going to cut it.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:47 PM
cjg

Don't get the ready to fly.

Use your old radio system until you can buy a DX6i or DX7. Your old system is probably as good or better than the zx10 (although I had no problems with it)

Buy something beside parkzone batts. Zippy or ABF batts are cheap 3s 2200mah's from HobbyCity. (you will need to get an adaptor or replace the stock PZ esc connection with a dean's plug)

Get a decent lipo charger. The one that comes RTF isn't very good.

I bought an RTF, and had success, but at some point you will want to replace the charger and radio system.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Stamey

Thanks for the heads up on the DX radios I know a 6CH radio would serve me just fine and would do far better than the ZX 10 would. I think I will stick to my plan of purchasing the T-28 in the spring with the PNP version. Now is the time to get a radio system that will last. I had already planned on getting my own battery for the T-28 as it was a no brainer (i agree the PZ bats and chargers are low qual). I also do have a Triton charger with the Equinox balancer so no problem there with charging. And as far as Nitro goes, I am already there. Been flying combat planes and also have the Hangar 9 P-51 so will be glad to program them into a comp radio instead of my old analog F400 from JR. I think I will definately be sticking with JR though. I love the look and quality and simplicity of the 2.4Ghz, but pricing is a little high with the DX6 or 7 and I am a simple flyer and will be going with the 6CH JR Sport 72Mhz. This way I don't have to buy all new recievers for the 2.4Ghz radio. Also, the 72Mhz is perfect for where our field is (middle of no where), and if everyone changes to 2.4Ghz it leaves all the 72Mhz band for me! lol. Thanks again for your help and much info! You guys are great, keep em in the air
Old 10-30-2008, 09:14 AM
jerseyflyer

great thread... very informative... i've been looking at getting a new radio system since the stock receiver on my t28 quit on me... i didn't know what the difference between the dx6 and the dx6i was but now i have somewhat of an idea... i plan on getting the eflite hawker sea fury by spring and i want to make sure i get the right system by then... i don't know how soon or if i'll ever go nitro but if i get the dx7 i know that i'll be prepared... for now i keep switching the dx5e system that came with my corsair over when i want to fly the t28 like i plan to today...

thanks for all the info!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:09 AM
johnpcunningham

The DX 5, 6, 6i, and 7 will all serve your purpose and will all do a good job. But, as you fly and your buddies fly with you, you will get more planes and the non-DX7s are limited to a 10 channel memory. Geese, I remember when I thought " no way, 10 planes, me, are you kidding. Nitro - never - too much trouble and all that crap you have to buy. So I went with the DX6 which can only use the AR6000. Good radio, but I could not grow with it. I sold it off, got the DX7 radio off of EBAY for $160 and have been ever so happy.

Everyone needs to stay within their budget, but don't be penny-wise and dollar short. If you buy the DX6 or DX6i and then later on need more channels or more model storage, you will get the DX7. Then, you now have purchased two radios when you could have gotten just one.
If you know for sure you will never have more than a few planes, then get any of the above listed radios that run DSM2 - DX5, DX6i, or DX7. I think the DX6 will be end-of-life soon as it can only use the AR6000. The other radios can use the AR6000, as well as the other receivers.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:33 PM
cjg

ORIGINAL: johnpcunningham

The DX 5, 6, 6i, and 7 will all serve your purpose and will all do a good job. But, as you fly and your buddies fly with you, you will get more planes and the non-DX7s are limited to a 10 channel memory. Geese, I remember when I thought " no way, 10 planes, me, are you kidding. Nitro - never - too much trouble and all that crap you have to buy. So I went with the DX6 which can only use the AR6000. Good radio, but I could not grow with it. I sold it off, got the DX7 radio off of EBAY for $160 and have been ever so happy.

Everyone needs to stay within their budget, but don't be penny-wise and dollar short. If you buy the DX6 or DX6i and then later on need more channels or more model storage, you will get the DX7. Then, you now have purchased two radios when you could have gotten just one.
If you know for sure you will never have more than a few planes, then get any of the above listed radios that run DSM2 - DX5, DX6i, or DX7. I think the DX6 will be end-of-life soon as it can only use the AR6000. The other radios can use the AR6000, as well as the other receivers.
Very good advice. I debated DX6i or DX7 for the reasons you cite. Finally decided on the DX6i as I don't have a lot of room and money to buy more than 10 planes. For the difference in price between the two I can buy my third electric kit plane.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:24 AM
jerseyflyer

why would you say the dx6i is not good for nitro?
Old 10-31-2008, 10:08 AM
-pkh-

The DX6i if fine for nitro, it's the DX6 that is for park flyers only. The DX6i is a great computer radio and should serve you well if you're on a budget. I've had a DX7 for awhile now, I've got several flights on it and I'm very pleased with it. I just recently got a DX6i, and have only flown a couple flights with it, but I'm pleased with it so far. It's easy to program, has a built in flight timer, and I can feed it four AA alkalines (instead of rechargeables) if I don't want to worry about keeping it charged up.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:28 AM
johnpcunningham

ORIGINAL: jerseyflyer

why would you say the dx6i is not good for nitro?
If you look back at my text, I never said the DX6i was not good for Nitro. I think you may have inferred that. DX6i is fine for nitro and parfkflyers, just limited to 10 channel memory.
It is the DX6 that is for parkflyers only. No worries.

JC
Old 10-31-2008, 01:46 PM
jerseyflyer

i looked back after i wrote it... i was reading and talking at the same time... sorry... thanks for the info though... much appreciated...