Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

prop spins backwards upon startup...

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

prop spins backwards upon startup...

Old 11-09-2008, 10:28 PM
flipteg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop spins backwards upon startup...

i just installed an E-Flite Power 10 with an E-Flite 40amp ESC V2... sometimes when i'm applying the throttle very very slowly to try to get the minimum RPM of the motor, the propeller will try to spin backwards before spinning the correct way... i'm wondering if some setting that i have missed is not set correctly and will this hurt the motor or ESC...?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Woodsy

Default RE: prop spins backwards upon startup...

Try changing the timeing
Old 11-10-2008, 01:35 AM
flipteg

hi, i don't quite understand what you mean...
Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Sir Raleigh

ORIGINAL: Woodsy

Try changing the timeing
It seems that particular ESC sets the timing automatically, so no help there. If it is a timing problem, he'll need to use an ESC with adjustable timing.

BTW, to the OP... Timing is similar to the timing on your car. It sends the pulses to the motor at different times.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:25 PM
flipteg

i just noticed something about the new ESC i bought... it says the BEC is rated up to 4 sub micro servos with 3S li-po but it says for economy sub micros, it is better to reduce that number by one because it says they tend to have higher current draw...

i don't know if the servos that came with the Corsair are sub micro but i'm wondering if i bought the right ESC...? the chart on the manual says, at 3S li-po, it supports 2 high torque or 3 standard, or 4 sub micro...

is this a cause for concern or would it be fine...?
Old 11-10-2008, 03:40 PM
flipteg

i'm kinda scared to fly the plane with the new BEC since i'm not sure if i'm over driving it with the Corsair's stock servos... i'm thinking of just using my 1/8 buggy's ni-mh battery pack to power the servos and receiver separately although it would add around 130grams which is about 10% the flying weight of the airplane... i'm wondering if it will be worth it...

also in terms of reliability, how would you rate a high end ESC with built in switching BEC, a seperate BEC unit, and a separate battery pack for the receiver...?

if i were to buy a separate BEC, what does everyone think of the Castle Creation 10amp BEC...?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
downunderdog

Personally, I wounldn't worry about it too much. The BEC of a 40 amp E-flite ESC should be able to handle 4 servos without a problem, so unless you see it doing something funny (like excessive unexplained servo twitching or are getting RX brown outs). I was asking around on the Aussie BBQ forum about a 10 Amp ESC with 2 amp BEC vs. a 6 Amp ESC with .8 amp BEC, and was pointed in the direction of the 10/2 unit because a .8 amp BEC would be suspect... but a 40 amp ESC (especially one with "improved BEC capability" as claimed by the E-flite V2 one that you mention) shouldn't have a problem driving 4 servos - my guess is that it's capable of 3 amps. If you're really worried about it, you could get a separate BEC and power it off of the same battery as your existing ESC (connect the new dedicated BEC in parallel in the circuit between your ESC and the battery plug). Or you could get a datalogger and measure your servo current draw to be sure.

But I think it's a bit of overkill, unless you're having issues that make you suspect that the BEC in the ESC is not sufficient.

Edit to add:

With respect to running a separate battery pack for the RX/servos instead of a BEC, my guess is that this would probably give you more "clean" power to the RX and would probably be more reliable than a BEC, but it also opens you up to the possibility of failure due ot the battery going dead... one more thing that you have to worry about (or forget to worry about) before each flight - is my RX battery fresh enough?

Second edit to add:

There's a discussion of this BEC at RCgroups:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600743

One guys says he's running 5 HS55 Servos off of it... My guess is that if you have sufficient airflow the 4 servos in the Corsair should be OK, but your mileage may vary!
Old 11-10-2008, 07:18 PM
bgfireman
My Feedback: (13)

flipteg
I ran a 40 amp Eflite Esc in my mini ultra stick with 4 servos and had no problems with it cutting out. Just dumb thumbs.
Alan
Old 11-10-2008, 08:20 PM
flipteg

hi, thanks for the advice... i think i'll just stick with the built in BEC... you saved me another $25 and hassle... i just got a bit paranoid but now that i think about it, anything more might be overkill...