Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

New to Park Flyers… Help

Old 06-02-2003, 01:02 AM
SDR-Hammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New to Park Flyers… Help

Just had a great idea to take an airplane with me on vacation in a few weeks. However I don’t have nearly enough room to take even my smallest glow plane not including fuel, starter etc.

So my brilliant idea is to purchase an ARF park flyer but this is an area I’ve never explored before so I was hoping some folks in this part of RCU could help me choose the right airplane and equipment.

Remember size is a concern as space in my wife’s Jeep Cherokee is limited. I’m not looking for low and slow, would like it to be somewhat aerobatic. Buying a complete micro fight pack just for this plane is fine.

Suggestions?
Old 06-02-2003, 02:52 AM
Mike Taylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How about a compact Flying wing. Ron, over on another BB, has the CLIC (CLose In Combat) wing, 23" WS, fully aerobatic, uses cheap and easy to find parts. The plane takes up very little space, handle impacts well, and is a gas to fly. It handles wind better than most park flier types. I bought two (since I am so strict with my planes and have no depth perception), but I haven't had to break out the second one yet! A short kit (machine hot-wired wing core) is 20-some bucks. Check out the thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=98943

Acer has the Mini Speed Wing for 40-some bucks, and it comes with motor and props. Its about the same size. See the thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=41432
Old 06-02-2003, 09:40 AM
Foaminator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Sdr,

Not sure what skill level you are at, but the GWS Zero is an excellent plane, slow as well as aerobatic. If space is a problem, the wing has one screw that holds it in place.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:43 AM
e-bird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any gws but the gig slow stick is my speed. Especialy when a wing is $14 to replace. CU
Old 06-03-2003, 11:44 AM
SDR-Hammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mike thanks for the suggestion.

I’m Seriously considering the Aces high kit. I would be perfect!!

Since I'm new to electrics just need to figure out the electronics part
Old 06-03-2003, 12:47 PM
Mike Taylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default The electrics part

Aw, yes, the electrics part. Not the easiest thing to figure out.

For the small compact wings, you need small comact gear. The smallest conventional gear may not have the range you need. The GWS tiny receivers (4.6 grams) have limited range and glitch. I like the Cirrrus MRX (6.2 grams)have a much longer range for the extra gram of weight (about $25 with crystal). The hitec H-55 servos are small and light, yet are strong; the gears don't strip as easily as the 6.2 and 5.4 gram servos.

If you go with Mini Speed Wing, you get the motor and prop; all that is left is the ESC and batteries. If you read through the thread on the MSW, there are notes about the ESC (2 to 5 amps - look at the Pixie by Castle Creations) and recommended batteries. I like the LiPoly cells; I was an early adopter of LiPoly technology, and am glad for it... You need a special charger and they take a hour to charge, but they fly forever. They have 9 times the energy density of nicads.

Have fun.

Search this Thread