Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Freewing F6F Hellcat

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Geaux4it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freewing F6F Hellcat

Just ordered my first electric. It's the Freewing F6F Hellcat. I'm a nitro guy and the electric folks are paranoid when I fly at a local vacant field. So I figured best to get an electric and fly the nitro when the crowd is smaller lol. From what I have read on this forum, this Hellcat is a great plane. Look forward to receiving it and getting it ready for it's first flight.

Attached is a picture I found of someones on the website. What a gorgeous warbird.

Geaux

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88296.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1103538  
Old 01-05-2009, 11:15 AM
jismail

Default RE: Freewing F6F Hellcat

It is a great plane and flies very well. You will have lots of fun with it! The stock motor is a bit weak but still very flyable. Just be sure to verify all the electronics work and that your throws are set reasonable prior to your maiden.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Geaux4it

ORIGINAL: jismail

It is a great plane and flies very well. You will have lots of fun with it! The stock motor is a bit weak but still very flyable. Just be sure to verify all the electronics work and that your throws are set reasonable prior to your maiden.

Good luck!
Thanks
Got the plane yesterday and to say the least, very disappointed. The box came wet with the paper peeling off. Once inside the box I find minor damage to the left wing (guns broken and paint peeling) and the battery is just banging around loose in box. All adhesives that need peeled such as belly hatch cover and Horizontal stabilizer have already been exposed and the receiver had dislodged and was just hanging by its servo wires. Matter of fact, the fuselage adhesive to hold the hor stab in place is completely missing! I will use glue before screwing up into the vertical stab for final installation. Bought the plane from ultimaterchobby.com. I reported it to them (they only take email) and told them the plane was damaged and appeared to be a return. They refused to replace the plane or provide refund as I did not obtain insurance. They did offer to replace defective parts for which I would only have to pay dealer cost. I told them to stick it....

Now on the the build- Has to be the worst set of instructions I have ever seen. Poor parts breakdown and the English interpretation is terrible. You get some sort solution in a tube with nothing but Chinese writing on it that I assume is glue. Manual does not tell you what it is. As I mentioned, the receiver was hanging out the belly but is suppose to be held in place by adhesive backing. Nowhere in the manual does it address its location within the model. I chose to keep it in the center section of the plane until I check C/G. BTW, the manual does not address any CG information whatsoever. As in some of the reviews on this site regarding this RTF, the clevises and it's associated threaded control rods are covered in paint.

To sum it up- Took about 2 hours last night to realize this model is indeed a beauty. However, the instructions and quality are very poor. If you are familiar with kit builds or ARF's, you can figure it all out. However, if you are new to the hobby and bought this plane thinking you would be at the field in 30 minutes as advertised, you would be rudely awakened.

Lastly, stay away form ultimaterchobby. Their customer service stinks and the customer is always wrong. Will post after the maiden which I hope to be Friday morning.

Geaux
Old 01-09-2009, 11:09 AM
jismail

Sorry to hear about your model's shipping condition. I got mine from Phil at PW-RC.com and he was very good. He even sent me a replacement ESC free of charge when the one that shipped seemed to be intermitent. later when I did a nose over, he was able to get me a new cowel and motor mount for his cost. Give him a try next time.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Geaux4it

Thanks jismail- Do you happen to know the CG location of the Freewing F6F? My manual does not even hint at CG. I went with the rule of thumb 1/4-2/3 back from leading edge of the wing. My maiden was not good today. Immediately after it got airborne it went into a left turn right into the ground. Minor damage. Added 7 grams weight into the battery slot and it is about right. Was just a smidge tail heavy prior to that.

BTW, nice looking plane.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Geaux4it

ORIGINAL: Geaux4it

Thanks jismail- Do you happen to know the CG location of the Freewing F6F? My manual does not even hint at CG. I went with the rule of thumb 1/4-2/3 back from leading edge of the wing. My maiden was not good today. Immediately after it got airborne it went into a left turn right into the ground. Minor damage. Added 7 grams weight into the battery slot and it is about right. Was just a smidge tail heavy prior to that.

BTW, nice looking plane.

I meant to say 1/4 -1/3 back.