Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

i want a remote control airplane

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

i want a remote control airplane

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:23 PM
ChuckTheMachine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i want a remote control airplane

so i was walking in target yesterday and i saw a airplane on the shelf. I wanted to Buy it but it looked like it was real small and maybe wouldnt fly good. So i went home and googled remote contrl airplane and i found this site. i signed up just now and i looked around on here for a little bit and it looks LIke there are like different kinds of airplanes that do difrint stuff. i want the best one there is like the fastest and the most tricks and coolest looking. how much does it cost and ware do i get it? Thnx Charlie
Old 01-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Default RE: i want a remote control airplane

Alright, well, lets start at the beginning. You obviously have no flight experience, you saw a plane, and you liked it. You live in MN, like me, so you know now's probably not the best time to start flying, right?

As for the type of plane you want, such things exist but I'd never, ever, ever reccommend any of them to a beginner like yourself. If you really want to start flying, go back to Target and pick up a plane called an Aero Ace and practice a little. It's not even close to what you *think* you want but trust me, it'll help down the road. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

As an afterthought, hop over to the Micro/Indoor area. Those people are unrivalled in micro plane knowledge.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:07 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Chuck TM:

Been around the hobby for a lot of years, since the late 60's, one of two instructors in our local RC club. Still enjoy pylon racing and getting 3D flying down well. Just trying to let you know I have been there and done that, still fly big gassers, glow and electrics.

Best advice I can give you is to talk to a local hobby shop and find out who and where to contact for a good local RC Club. There is always someone in the club that enjoys helping a novice into the hobby as painless as possible. Think I crashed around 5 airplanes before I could take off and land, no buddy boxes or simulators in those days. Was a private pilot at the time with around 800 hours, so experienced to start with, I thought. Whole different world, trust me.

Have had several students in the past few years that came out and soloed their first day. They had spent reasonable time on the computer simulator so no supprises. A decent simulator is the best way to start out on your own. Spend some time around the local club field so you can start in the direction you want to ultimately go. Flying aerobatic aircraft that are "fast" depends on what you call fast. Some of the older pattern birds with good engines were and still are good for 100 to 130 mph. Going to have to go the speciality aircraft (racing) for the 150 to 200, and jetts for 250-300mph. You can buy a RTF electric including transmitter, charger, battery, everything for around $200.00 up. If you decide to stay in the hobby, you will want a good JR or Fatuba flight system, much better quality from 150.00. to $800.00 for great used equipment on E-Bay and $300.00 to $2400.00 bottom to top of the line new stuff. Whats a good jett cost? Used but good $3500 and up, new $8,000 to 12,000. Sort of the wealthy boys play pen. Right now, the hobby is going through a new radio design in a frequency called 2.4 that is claimed to be much better than the current FM systems, and no frequency problems. Frankly I will stay with my JR 10X until I wear it out, $1200.00 new. Actually I expect it to outlive me. Top of the line systems are available at e-bay and other similar sites for very reasonable bucks. Bottom line, you still need guidance with respects to what is what, and their worth. It becomes a Ford-Chevy thing. You are welcome to PM or e-mail me anytime for a little helping along. ENJOY
Old 01-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Wow, I've gotta get off my style of thinking. Yeah, get a good, strong support group, like someone who's been in the hobby for a long time. If you really want to pursue the hobby, you'll want good equipment like Rmenke said. And if, perchance, you happen to be a full-size pilot, don't expect RC to be even remotely similar. I also fly helis, and 2 years ago for Christmas my grandparents gave me a certificate for a full-size heli training session. I got to fly the full-size heli (with an instructor) and it was WAY different.

Stay away from jets for now. It's not even an option for you right now. I got a real nice JR 4ch radio on eBay for $75 shipped. I built a plane for ~$10, but it's not a beginner plane and the building is a whole new section of RC altogether. You want to fly, no? Get a Slow Stick and search eBay for that radio I got (it was from an eBay store that had like 800 in stock), and go ask around for different beginner setups. Try the Slow Stick forum for starters, and DO NOT use the setup I've got posted there It's too much for a stock Stick. Also, don't get impatient. Right now, we're looking at several months of winter here in good ole' MN, and the cold makes flying hard and instructors impossible to find

Like Rmenke said, you can PM or E-mail me for help, as can any beginner looking for a little help. Don't get scared off by my age, either- As I'm pretty sure any of the people here will tell you, I know my stuff...
Old 01-19-2009, 06:41 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

i agree with the both of you about not getting into jets. im not even ready to go into that level of flying. one thing about the bigger and faster jets to keep in mind as in the unlikely event that you lose control of it, the speeds they can reach could very easily do serious injury or even death to yourself and/or others. some people go out and find clubs, and some(like myself) just start flying. i started flying on air hogs planes, as of now ive flown them all. there simple 2 channel planes, that quickly charge right from the controller. there not expensive either when you consider the cost of some of the bigger models. and there alot of fun to fly. the kind of plane you take to the park and fly for 10 minutes, charge using your controller, and fly again. i keep a air hogs aero ace biplane in the trunk of my car for those spur of the moment urges to fly. and once you get the feel for these you coud move up to a larger 2 chaneel hobby grade plane. my next step up from the air hogs planes was the hobbyzone firebird xl. its basically a single wing version of the aero ace bipe i fly so much. after that i moved to a 3 channel parkzone slo-v, then a year later a 4 channel parkzone trojan. its ahobby that takes time and paitents, but pays off incredibly with the fun factor. and asking questions here will get you a long way. i wouldnt be flying now as good as i do without the isight of the guys and gals here. chris
Old 01-19-2009, 01:46 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Chuck TM:

Its really about you finding what interests you most and the highest fun factor under controlled circumstances that does not drive you away because of cost or lack of interest or other things driving failure.

Today you can buy "Plug and Play" totally finished birds at a somewhat reasonable cost. The quality experinced guys want is generally not there, but you can get up rather quickly. You can also do things on a small budget. Most clubs will provide trainer gear for little or nothing to help you along. There is always used and new gear available from someone in the club selling to fund another project. Some junk, some very good quality. You need a experienced mentor to keep you away from the junk.

If at some point you do not learn to stick build from balsa kits, you will miss out on learning to build yourself. With that comes the knowledge and ability to design your own stuff, or modify it to suit what you want. Seems like its a little harder to compete with the big guys and their engineering staff these days, but note there is always a self taught guy out there building some of the best, or the best flyers around. Being a engineer does not guarantee a sucessful design. Developing a "eye" for aero design does not come to everyone but for thoes it does, its great. Bill Lear (Lear Jett) not engineer, Bert Ruttan, yes, exceptional engineer, built his own rocket into space and a host of very good full scale kit aircraft. For now it about you learning to fly and enjoying whats available. If you enjoy competition, there is pleanty of that in flying "Pattern", "Pylon"
speed, 3D and other related stuff. If you can afford to $150.00 right now, get a flight simulator and get started in learning the most the fastest and cost effective way currently available. ENJOY