Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Is 8 cell NimH pack safe for GWS A-10??

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Is 8 cell NimH pack safe for GWS A-10??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 07:14 PM
smartman300
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 8 cell NimH pack safe for GWS A-10??

I have this pack and I was wondering if it was safe for the A-10. I heard the voltages on NiMh are lower than on NiCds, so stepping up one cell is okay. What do you think? Can't I just NOT run it at full throttle and be okay?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:19 PM
HitecRedneck

I saw an A 10 fly last weekend and the guy was using 8 cell nimh which worked well. As for flying slower I'm not to sure any slower is what you would be looking for in this jet model.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:34 AM
smartman300
My Feedback: (4)

I actually had a brilliant idea: If you run the power to the motors in parallel, you give them the full 8 cells power, 9.6v. Why not wire the ducted fans in series, then they only get 4.8 volts? Would this be okay for this model.

Once again referring to my original point, I am still wondering if running the 8 cell NiMh pack in parallel to the motors is okay.

Thanks once again for any help.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:42 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

I have the A-10 and I know from others that it will fly very well on 8 nimh - but you will severly shorten the life of the motors. (5-10) flights if your lucky. You have to keep the voltage under 8.4 volts I run a 7 cell nicad and a 7 cell nimh and they work well. The nicad works better as it has more poop at the beginning. Plane weighs 17 oz with the nicad and 15.5 with nimh. make sure you build it light and ditch the gear. Try doing a search over at E-Zone - thats where us electric guys hang out and there is a LOT of info from lots of knowledgable guys. Good luck! Oh yea - if you try to fly it with the motors in series you will not go anywhere! remember, voltage equals rpm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	84769_9838.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	49634  
Old 06-08-2003, 05:43 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

At E-zone there are guys that are using the higher voltage motors so they run lipolys without burning up the motors
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	84770_9838.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	49635