Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Flight Pack for Slow Stick?

Old 06-09-2003, 06:10 AM
zagijim

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Flight Pack for Slow Stick?

Hi I need to buy a flight pack for my Slow Stick and need some help. I have a Hitec 3 fm radio and will be using two lion batteries. Which servos and receiver should I buy. I have a Wattage IC-50 speed control and a Wattage 380 will either of these work?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 06-12-2003, 10:06 AM
chrisbr
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The best deals I've seen for these are on ebay, just do a search for "gws flight pack". I just bought a slow stick myself and have gotten 2 GWS flight packs recently (one for a friend) and they work great. Average price shipped for me has been about $65. Both sellers tlrascal and uhhobbies have been good to work with. They will come with 2-3 servos, battery and 5 amp speed control, plus servo hardware. I'm not sure about the one you have. These are probably cheaper than buying just the servos and receiver seperately though and you will have an extra battery if you already have one. Make sure you get one that says Futaba/Hitec shift for your radio to work right with the receiver. You will also need a gws micro frequency crystal for the receiver that comes with them ($8-10).
Old 06-14-2003, 02:04 AM
acp63

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Beware of the slow stick

The slow stick is impossable to balance read the posts and I own one. It also will not fly unless there is no wind what so ever!!! The slightest breze will knock it out of the sky like a nat
Old 06-14-2003, 03:51 AM
kevinsreell

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If possible, get a speed control rated for 10 amps. It may save a later upgrade. Also slide your wing to the rear until you get proper balance at 95mm from the leading edge of the wing. This makes the plane much more stable. I also opted for heavier batts to help wind stability.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:52 PM
torquerolln

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the plane can handle in 20 mph winds. It doesnt go into the ground. Are you using the stock setup
Old 06-19-2003, 12:42 AM
acp63

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default yes i am using stock setup

every thing is stock
using pico servos and a 7 cell 400 map battery
Old 06-19-2003, 05:37 AM
tlrascal
My Feedback: (56)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Slow Stik

I have supplied over 200 Slow Stiks to happy customers and fly mine almost every day. The airplane will handle some wind. I would not recommend fying it in a20 mph wind although it might handle it if you ha enough power.
I have well over 1000 flights on mine and it is a bit bedaggled looking but still flies great. Very early in the Slow Stiks life I posted a reply that I have been flying mine on a 2 Amp ESC and was told I was crazy, the motor draws something like 7 Amps. I am still flying on that very first 2 Amp ESC. The ones I ell with a flight pack I sel with a 5 Amp ESC and to date hae had no complaints or problems. I do fly mine with a 600 Mah Nimh 8.4V battery and I mde a little wooden holder that use 1/8 " dowels that fit into the holes in th plastic.
I continue to sell many of these direct and on Ebay and I supply my own assembly instructions. Gws says to bevel the edges of the rudder and elevator. Just use one of the wir pushrods to space these apart and hinge them with tape. I use the scrap material from the boder of the decal sheet. Please feel free to contact me.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:02 AM
sargentw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I remounted my motor so it's down rather than up. I also drilled a small hole and put a screw in the servo bracket to ensure it doesn move. I used a piece of black electricians tape to mark the position of the wing brackets when everything is balanced. If the wing assembly moves the COG will be off. The black tape gives a you a quick visual preflight check and keeps the wing from sliding forward when you're up at a 1000 feet getting blasted with updrafts and wind gusts.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:59 AM
bugleboy
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Slow Stick is an excellent plane for beginners or more experienced pilot looking for something a little more relaxing. It is also a great platform for experimentation (aerial photos, bomb drops, parachute drops, etc.).

Check out My Website for a very few examples.

Hard to fly? Hard to balance? I flew mine stock with GWS micro servos. No problems.

Jason
Old 06-27-2003, 12:50 PM
sargentw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cool Website!!

Yep, I agree Jason. The Stik is easy to Fly, easy to balance, and I believe easy to keep that way. I didn't use a GWS stock flight pack. I used a Hi-tec FM feather receiver with HS-55 servos and a 8.4 1100 mah niMH battery. The plane was tail heavy, but moving the wing back a little and the servos farther forward did the trick.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:46 PM
bugleboy
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the compliment, sargentw.

Jason
Old 04-01-2004, 10:54 PM
espadet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Flight Pack for Slow Stick?

Don't buy to www.4mht.com
ebay seller: tlrascal

plain and simple, DON'T ORDER FROM THESE GUY! BE CAREFUL! This place is obviously run by somebody that doesn't know how to run a business and is trying to make money by cutting corners and being unfair and unreasonable with customers.

Check this web page

http://www.teofilo.addr.com/rascal/rascal00.htm
Old 04-01-2004, 11:06 PM
foreverNight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

wow! you did your homework... This guy is giving you the runaround. You should file a fraud report againts him with ebay. Maybe he should stick to selling racoons!
Old 04-01-2004, 11:52 PM
NeoLogic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

gosh... I dang near bought from this guy... glad I didn't. I decided to support my LHS unstead, despite slightly higher prices! Well worth it!!!
Old 04-02-2004, 08:12 AM
sargentw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am very reluctant to buy on Ebay. I had one bad experience that offsett all the other good deals I made. Unfortunantly, it's been my experience that Ebay just sits on their hands and does nothing when there is a problem with a transaction. On Ebay I limit my purchases to reputable firms like Cambridge Soundworks.

When ordering on the Internet I always pay by credit card and have written terms for money back warranties prior to the purchase, especially for big ticket items. With the right information in hand you will be able to to start a credit card charge back process if a seller rips you off. BTW: Sellers that have too many successful chargebacks against them will be barred form credit card transactions.

Enough of that. More fun stuff. I bought a 7.4v 2100 mah Thunder Power Lipoly for my Unicorn Wing. I looked at my stick and went huuummmm.... I tried it on the stik. Very cool. Under 3oz and the stik flies forever. I will make a foam battery bay adaptor so I can use it in the Unicorn. The stik was easy, couple of small rubber bands and that was it.

Regards,

Tad
Old 04-02-2004, 12:33 PM
FirebatFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just bought from 4mht.com and it was the best service I have ever had. They respond to email almost instantly and they give you a fedex number.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:35 PM
FirebatFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Double post due to internet lag.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Dopesick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Beware of the slow stick

ORIGINAL: acp63

The slow stick is impossable to balance read the posts and I own one. It also will not fly unless there is no wind what so ever!!! The slightest breze will knock it out of the sky like a nat

Dont trust this guys info. The SS is SIMPLE to balance as for EVERYTHING is movable. I have plenty of pics available of mine take a look here..

[link=http://www.********.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=86]Slowstick pictures[/link]

I wouls say anything from mini-std to pico will work. PS a GWS ICS-100 is a better ESC, and if yorr going to be using Li-Po I would suggest a Castle Creations pixie 20P
Old 04-06-2004, 07:03 PM
tlrascal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: migueloc

Don't buy to www.4mht.com
ebay seller: tlrascal

plain and simple, DON'T ORDER FROM THESE GUY! BE CAREFUL! This place is obviously run by somebody that doesn't know how to run a business and is trying to make money by cutting corners and being unfair and unreasonable with customers.

Check this web page

http://www.teofilo.addr.com/rascal/rascal00.htm
It is really unfortunate when I have to take the wrap and be called a thief when the problem is in the mail service. I am going to post the most recent email from this customer. I wish he would do something to withdraw these very false negative comments.
Question from eBay Member: GWS SLOW STICK AND FLIGHT PACK COMBO
Sent to me April 5, 2004
Dear tlrascal,

Hi Rascal, it's Franco from Brazil, I bought one slow stick kit from you in december, arrived last friday, amazing. Everything is all right, I had some fun on saturday, when using the 600Mah battery that came with it, but I would like to ask you something, if you have the ICS100 shutting off after 12 seconds of maximum running throttle... It began when I used a 1350Mah Lithium-Ion battery, was flying for 10 minutes and then the ICS100 cut-off the motor... after that, seems like the ICS100 stayed damaged by my usage of so much amps... have you experienced that? The best thing I need to do is to buy a ICS300e right? Any hint or tip about that I thankyou. Really congrat about the plane, I really liked and is amazing how fun it can be! Best regards, Franco.

To view the item, go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll...tem=3185177281

Thank you,
franco-br
Never respond to an unsolicited email that includes incentives to buy or sell an item off the eBay Marketplace. If you get such an email, please report it to eBay.

Never pay for your eBay item through instant cash transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram -- such services offer Internet shoppers no protection against fraud.

For more safe trading tips, please visit the eBay Security Center.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:47 PM
sargentw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

tlrascal,

What exactly are you selling these guys? Lets start with the battery packs... specs please. If you are not selling people a flight pack equivalent to the GWS one for the Slow stik you aren't doing people right. A 2 amp esc, that's bolagna!. I have the GWS IC-15 on mine with the 300 motor which I've upgraded to a 350. An IPS-100 flight pack for a slow stik?

Bought the kit from you in December and he gets it now.... There is absolutley no excuse. Give the man his money back and stay out of international orders for a starter.

franco-br, Dude...... check with the forums first for what to order then order from reputable firms that can deliver on the international scene. As a test order something from Aircraft-world and see how long it takes them to get it to you.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:04 PM
tlrascal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am selling them a flight pack that has two servos, a 5 Amp ESC , a receiver, a 7.2V 600mah battery pack for $58. That is Exactly what GWS reccommends. I have been flying my Slow Stick for over two years with an ICS50 ESC. I don't know how you could have a problem with that. I have sold 1000;s of them.

Now as to International shipping. I sent the day after payment was received which was in December. I send each International buyer a letter beforehand that explains my experience with International shipping and exactly what they are going to run into. I tell them to expect long delays. They must agree to these terms before I accept their order. Then what happens.

1. It takes longer than they want---not longer than I tell them it will tke and they get anxious.
2. It gets held up in customs.

These are items I warn them about beforehand and when it happens I get accused of ripping them off. One foreign buyer cancelled his credit card payment. He had paid on Dec. 12 aand I shipped on Dec. 13th. His cancellation cost me $25 processing fee and I bounced three checks and got dinged 3 $29.00 overdraft charges. You think he reimbursed me for that when he got his engine three days later. Not a chance and he says I should be glad he is so honest and tells me when he got the engine. I am the most honest seller you will ever run across and I am tired of these disparagements from people who don't know the facts.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Dopesick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You sell what you sell, as long as it's detailed in the auction, your not responcible for their litteracy. If they buy it, not recieving what was promised that is different. THAT is why ebay has feedback. Knock it off, no one here wants to see this in this forum.

I'm not even a mod here, and I'm asking you 2, cut the crap and do this in a PM.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:23 AM
csisfun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hahahaha.

Ain't crap. Go on!
Old 04-07-2004, 07:38 AM
sargentw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They came to the right place to learn more about flight packs for the Slow Stik.

Here is the GWS website with their equipment listed for the GWS Slow Stik series. The ISC 50 & 100 esc's are listed on the site but not specifically the Stik. BTW: I use the tiny ICS 50 esc and GWS micro servos on my GWS Tiger Moth to control it's tiny motor. http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...ow%20stick.htm

Another great GWS ordering site is WWW.Balsapr.com. I upgraded my Slow Stik stock motor/gearbox to a 350C-C. Need to go brushless, but those options went in other planes. Unfortunantly, they are closed today.

Servo City has flight packs. Here is a hitec one like mine that I used on my slow stik. The single conversion FM feather rec is OK, but it chatters around other fliers. I now use dual conversion, i.e. hitec 555's in my other planes. You would also have to get an esc with this flight pack.

http://www.servocity.com/html/hitec_...ght_packs.html

For the ESC I'd go with the Electrifly C-10 (nice) I have used c-20 and c-30 on other planes and have had no problems. I think it also has a prop brake whis is important when soaring and landing.
http://www.servocity.com/html/speed_controls.html

Edogfight has GWS flight packs, but I think these are too light for an outdoor Slow stik where you have bigger motors and hotter batteries. http://www.edogflight.com click on flight packs.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:56 AM
csisfun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sargent why did you go for a C gearing instead of a D?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy