Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Looking for a good park flyer

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 03:04 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking for a good park flyer

I'm looking for a good flying, well powered park flyer with a reasonable run time. By reasonable, I mean 10 mins at full power.

I'm not worried about price, more about performance. I fly a lot of ½A glow, but I want something slower for the ball field down the street.

I've flown a GWS stick and a GWS Tiger Moth. Neither are what I am looking for. I tried a Tiny with a brushless which flew well. The best I tried was a Jr. Falcon converted to electric brushless with NiMh batteries.

Some of the Hobby Lobby stuff looks good.

What is there on the higher end of the performance scale for park flyers?
Old 06-10-2003, 03:24 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bipe,

I hate to say it, but check out the e-zone boards. I think you'll be surprised at what some guys are putting together. A few general points: Li-poly batteries are getting better by the minute as a power option with impressive run times at reasonable cost ( I won't try to say more, as I haven't tried them yet), brushless motor prices are coming down, allowing even higher performance (although if you do your homework, there's no reason you can't get good aerobatic performance on a cheap brushed motor). I know you're already well aware of the weight issues from working with 1/2a stuff (light makes flight). I think it may behoove you to check out www.mountainmodels.com . The miniflash, switchback, and dandy sport all look like they may fit the bill for you. If you prefer foam, there are many options as well. Many are reporting good performance from the GWS warbirds, esp. with upgraded powertrains. I'll get out of babbling mode and let you take a look for yourself now......I hope at least some of the above info was helpful to you. Good luck in your quest.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:56 PM
ElectriFan-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to say it, but check out the e-zone boards. I think you'll be surprised at what some guys are putting together.
I agree wholeheartedly, the Electric section there is just so busy with tons of info.

www.mountainmodels.com . The miniflash, switchback, and dandy sport all look like they may fit the bill for you.
Agree 200% again, sounds like the SB 3D, Miniflash or the new Tantrum is the ticket here with a good brushless and the Etech LiPoly's.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:39 PM
Dzlstunter

I'll second the Mountain Models suggestion. Doug (the owner) is a real class act. His kits are laser cut, and it's almost add glue and shake! It takes more time to cover than to build them. The Switchback Sport flies like a SIG 4* and the Switchback 3D should be about like a Fazer. He is also now kitting a true 3D park flier. Good luck, Dzl
Old 06-11-2003, 07:47 PM
tallyho88
My Feedback: (2)

My choice would be the ASCENT electric sailplane from E-flite. Sells for $70.00 with folding prop & 400 size can motor. I use 1000Mah NiMh 2 thirds A size from HECELL. Acheap 3 channel radio from Hitec with small (HS 55 or 81 servos)..cheap ESC & U R ready to get some spectacular flight.
Dr. Gravity.
PS...Its an ARF...beautifully made.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:21 AM
Wright Flyer

Aother vote for one of the Mountain Model planes. If you're competent enough to fly the likes of the brushless Tiny then one of Doug's planes (as listed above) with a decent brushless and some LiPo cells should deliver what you're looking for.

Cliff
Old 06-13-2003, 02:05 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default New too.

I've also have been in the market for a high-performance backyard flyer since I'm short on funds, time and access to continue flying giant scale. Quite the opposite ends of the spectrum. I too, after much research, have ended up with the opinion that Mountain Models is one of the best options out there. Personally, I had decided the new Tantrum was a great option(but it wasn't available...and now is out of stock), providing performance with a brushed motor that will allow 3D, if that's what you want, and on a brushless, truely spectacular performance.....

With that said, I ended up buying an T3D (http://www.edogfight.com/) foam "ARF", 3D plane that I'm building now. I think the Mountain Models are better planes, but this was a cheap entry to try out the experience and see if I like it. This little plane is supposed to be able to do 3D on the stock motor that comes with it, but after reading some threads, I upgraded to a geared M100(also brushed - $8 motor, $10 gearbox) that was suggested by many to give true 3D power(7 grams heavier). This plane only weighs 5oz complete(li-pos of course - a bit over 5 oz with the M100). Truely amazing....but it is very simple and plain. I'm very curious to see how it flies. BTW, the Sukhoi that these people sell also looks like a great 3D plane, but it is much more expensive requiring a Hacker brushless(or other brushless) to get its very impressive performance.

If you're looking for some really nice aerobatic planes, that are more scale looking and performing, take a look at www.stevensaero.com . I've been very tempted to get one of these with a brushless setup.....and if you're into bipes, they're coming out with an 1/8 Ultimate for a speed 300.

Also, just because I mention 3D, doesn't mean you have to fly 3D with them, but it does give you a great indicator of their performance if it is capable of 3D. Any of these "3D" planes would be great for "standard" aerobatics and slow flying, with their low wing loadings, and the extra power is always welcome.

BTW, I almost forgot to mention, the T3D is supposed to fly in the 20 minute range with the li-poly batteries.

Bill
Old 06-13-2003, 04:28 PM
Bipe Flyer

Thanks a lot guys. I'll probably go with a Razor brushless and lithium batteries. Since I can't just buy it all done off the shelf I think I'll just design my own plane around that power plant. Probably a biplane.

Thanks again, you've been very helpful.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:31 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What ever you build, I hope you enjoy it. However realize that the faster the plane, the more room you need for it. If you want a slower plane for small areas, why are planning so much speed and power into what you plan to build.

You want a quick build ARF that can do some aerobatics, but is sorta medium speed, get a Hitec Funtec Sky Scooter Pro. Won't give you 10 minutes of full power with stock battery, but if you get bigger cells, say 1100 mAh nimh cells you will probably get 10 min plus at 3/4 power. Just right for a smaller area.

Three channel elevator, aileron, throttle.

Just a thought.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:13 PM
Bipe Flyer

I don' t need speed, just enough power to do some real flying. Something more than the GWS stuff.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:23 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You want a Tiny X with the astro 010 geared setup on a Lipoly Etech 3 cell! Flies for over one half hour and has unlimited vertical!

Love mine!!