Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Fight Master Foamy Flying Wing

Old 06-11-2003, 02:05 AM
John Boren

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Fight Master Foamy Flying Wing

I just wanted to show everyone my latest Park Flyer foam creation., Fight Master Foamy Electric or FMFE. It is based on my Fight Master series of RC Combat Designs that I have been flying for many years. This one is or course built out of foam and power by a GWS gear Drive system.

Here are the specs:

Wing Span 39.75"
Ave Cord 10"
Wing Area app. 390 Sq"
Length 14"
Weight RTF 10.5 ounces
Motor System QWS EPS-300C-B EP-1080 prop

You can download a one minute movie of it flying at the following site. The file is 2.2 meg in size.

John Boren

www.modelbridges.com\FM\FM.zip

Flight Report After Photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85509_38046.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	50098  
Old 06-11-2003, 02:08 AM
John Boren

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Radio View

Here's the radio. The entire wing is hollow with a 1/16" balsa full depth spar that is glued into a small channel cut into the EPS foam. There is also a 1/32" piece of balsa along the trailing edge between the top and bottom of the foam. The fins are currently 1/16" with the elevons being 3/32" balsa.

John Boren
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	85513_38046.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	50099  
Old 06-11-2003, 02:15 AM
John Boren

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Flight Report

So how does it fly you ask. The first flight was in dead calm air. I launched the plane by holding onto the motor with my Index and Thumb. I simple under hand type toss get's her into the air with no problem. She pulls right out of your hand and starts climbing. Full rate elevator throw was to much so I clicked on the duel rates. Inside and outside loops were no more then 8 foot in diameter. Rolls were, lets say not that great. More barrel then axial. Turns are fantastic even though the rolls aren't. I may switch the elevons to ones that have their wider section out by the tips. It's third flight was in 15mph winds. It flew just fine in the wind but when I chopped the power around five feet up for my landing, it was blown back like a leaf to the ground. During the flights I never had it much further then about a hundred feet away. Just yanked and banked it all over the sky. It's no speed demon with the current set up but it sure is fun to fly. I have since flown it in 20 mph winds and well it's still in one piece. I think the rill rate would improve with greater air speed.

Let me know what you think, I am currently tooling up to produce it as a kit.

John Boren
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	85517_38046.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	50100  

Search this Thread