Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone Corsair Signal loss HELP!

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone Corsair Signal loss HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:46 PM
phatbob02
My Feedback: (126)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parkzone Corsair Signal loss HELP!

I've been flying the Corsair for a little over a month with no problems. I'm using a DX7 and this is my 9th plane in it's memory.
The Corsair is all stock using the AR500 receiver.

Yesterday I wasn't up in the air for one minute when I lost the signal and spiraled into the ground. I only broke the prop.
Whan I got home I checked the batteries and they were fine. I tried to repeat the failure in my back yard with range checking and erratic servo movement. I couldn't make it happen.

Today I take it to my local school yard and less than a minute up, signal loss and a broke wing.

I thought I knew what I was doing. The speed controller beeps and tells me it's ready, and the receiver light is on solid.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 03-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone Corsair Signal loss HELP!

Hmmmm, are your tx batteries charged up?
Low voltage there could cause a problem.

Other then that I'd be thinking a voltage drop problem. If memory serves me the systems have to reboot if power is lost or drops below a certain point, those few moments can mean life or more often death to a plane.

It's stock you said, brushed motor? Check the amp draw on the motor, could be it's going south and pulling a lot of amps, causing a low volt reboot.

Weak pack could also be a problem, it could be dropping voltage under load, which could cause a receiver to reboot.

Lastly I'd check for a loose connection or poor solder joint, but something like that is more erratic, not so at least from your post causing the problem to appear at the same time on both flights.

Maybe try an on the ground test. Anchor the plane, and with a Watt or Astro meter hooked up run up the motor and see if you're loosing power to your system. See if it does on the ground what it's doing in the air.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:08 AM
phatbob02

I'm thinking bad speed control but I'll test your suggestions. The Lipo are new and tested good. My transmitter battery is also tops. I haven't had any problems flying my nitros with the DX7 and AR7000's. This is my first AR500.

Thanks a bunch for your input.

Bob
Old 03-31-2009, 01:20 AM
mad web tv scientist

Bob, the problem you have is identical to what many of us have experienced. The solution that seems to cure everything perfectly is to add a "SPEKTRUM SPM Spektrum Voltage Protector" capacitor to your receiver. I got my hobby shop to order some for me and now enjoy total security with five (5) SPEKTRUM systems. They cost $6.00 and weigh less than 1/4 ounce.

Assuming nothing else is causing problems this little addition might be just what you need. Let us know how you come out.

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]
[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:39 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Bob, you said your lipo tested good. How did you test it? A static voltage test may not pick up the problem, you need to load the pack and see what it's doing. With a Watt or Astro meter hooked up in between the pack and plane. Run up the motor,prop attached, wide open, for no more then 30 seconds and watch the meter for a voltage dropping severely.

Voltage should drop slightly and then level off, if it keeps on dropping the pack has a problem.

A lipo will actually increase it's voltage as it "rests" after use, so if you are reading the voltage a while after flying you could be missing a problem.

And as MWS said the capacitor trick will help with a lock out problem if you get a short voltage drop condition. It provides a small back up voltage source for a brief bit of time, but even that won't help if you are getting a longer low volt situation.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:41 PM
phatbob02

Glacier Girl

I'm taking your advice and I ordered a Watts Up meter. I saw a operational video of it on YouTube. I'm also buying a few of the SPEKTRUM SPM that madwebtvscientist recommended. I like that as a fail safe.

I think the Parkzone 3S 11.1 LiPo is kissed after the last crash. I ran it on the Parkzone charger and only have 7.75 volts with a static test.[:-] Looks like new Lipos and a better charger.

Horizon wants a recipt to check the electronics, and I can't find it.[:@]

Maybe I should just stick to nitro!

Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-11-2009, 08:15 PM
phatbob02

I found the problem!![:@][:@]
It was the motor mount screw that everyone knew about except me! [:@] When I saw that on another forum, everything fit into place. I went and checked my plane and there was the screw. I checked the parkzone Lipo that tested at 7.75 volts, and there was a puncture! The battery was shorting out in flight!

Well now that I bought a new wing , lipo, watt meter, voltage protector, and receiver, I can fly again. [>:]

I guess I should be happy.[]

Bob
Old 04-12-2009, 10:12 PM
coyv10

Send it back to horizon they will replace it they did mine through my LHS
Old 04-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Hmmm... AR5000's are notorious for having their crystals fall out in flight. It'll seem like it's perfectly tight but all of a sudden it just pops out. You might check that out as well even though you already found the problem. An ounce of prevention......

Old 04-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Fat Boy

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist

Bob, the problem you have is identical to what many of us have experienced. The solution that seems to cure everything perfectly is to add a "SPEKTRUM SPM Spektrum Voltage Protector" capacitor to your receiver. I got my hobby shop to order some for me and now enjoy total security with five (5) SPEKTRUM systems. They cost $6.00 and weigh less than 1/4 ounce.

Assuming nothing else is causing problems this little addition might be just what you need. Let us know how you come out.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
How 'bout a part number for this voltage protector??

Jeff
Old 04-13-2009, 02:24 PM
phatbob02

Spektrum Voltage Protector
Stock # SPM1600
Old 04-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Fat Boy

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:26 PM
mad web tv scientist

Bob, glad you solved your problem. I can understand your nervousness after such experiences, you are going to be okay [X(]. Also thanks for answering the question that only today I discovered that I failed with.

Jeff, please allow me to make amends [] by providing the urls below that explain everything about the "voltage protector."

Spektrum RC
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM1600

- QuickConnect Voltage Recovery System for DSM2 Air receivers
http://h1071118.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...e=1855-ART.xml

Teenage Pilot, please explain your statement about the crystal and the "Corsair receiver" (?) I thought you were discussing, thanks.

So far with the above information in mind all of my Spektrum equipment sings nicely.

Happy flying!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 05-05-2009, 03:52 PM
wpotter6

I learned about the battery puncture problem after the fact also. When I got my first Corsair I did not properly check the CG, just installed the battery as indicated and on the second flight ended up hitting the nose pretty harda on landing and cracked the platic cowl. Everything was still working OK, so took off for a third flight and the plane started smoking. Lost control, went into some dry brush (I live in Arizona) and the plane was still smoking. I disconnected the battery, and soon after the plane ignited and burend up right there in front of me. Had to kick dirt all ove it to get the fire out. All the electronics and the battery were toast, the motor was still in tact but very charred. Fortunately for me, Horizon Hobby replaced it with a new plane after I sent the remians back. After sending it back, I investigated the issue on the internet and found the service bulletin and also some interesting videos about Lipo batteries igniting. And I also learned that the battery shoudl not be inserted all the way into the nose because it puts th eCG way too far forward. In my new plane I inserted some foam into the battery hole and insert it less than halfway in as compared to the factory setup. This provides the correct CG.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:03 PM
mad web tv scientist

wpotter, welcome to the world of intrepid Corsair warbird pilots! Glad to see that everything worked out so well for you.

My repaired Corsair is ready for action now but after some recent catastrophes I am not real excited about getting back into the air too quickly until my fighter force is brought back up to full strength. Of my six gun fighters three (3) were knocked out of action for a while. I haven't gotten any direct answers to my questions but I think my problem as reported on other threads is similar to yours - bad battery.

The first plane to go down was my dandy little "Red Baron Triplane". Number two using the same battery was my beautiful "Ace of Aces Spad," and shockingly, my dead reliable (?) F4U also bit the dust powered by the very same battery. That particular battery had worked very well in the past when used with a number of other planes.

I've been doing some research on the Triplane and am finding some contradictory information that is definitely not helping my confidence level. The seemingly conflicting data has to do with the angle of attack of the three wings. I don't like what I have been reading at all.
My setup is not in agreement with most of the data.

Since I enjoy (usually) flying the Corsair to unwind after the adrenaline pumping terror of test flying a new WWI flying machine, the dread of what might happen, especially if I make the mistake of trying to fly in too much wind again is so great that I may avoid flying altogether until I finish building my new structurally reinforced Spad that I am picking up from the hobby shop today.

Hope you are enjoying your new Corsair. To quote my very favorite real British Spitfire modeling enthusiast:
"May your lipos never run low."

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist

BRITISH SPITFIRE TREASURE!

ORIGINAL: wingco

Hello fellow Spit fans,
right with you on the emotion that only a spit in flight can instill. I have a fairly heavily modified PZ spit (brushless inrunner and reinforced wings) as well as a Hanger 9 Mk2 (electric also, 5ft 6inch wingspan), the Parkzone still gives me a buzz: coming for a high speed very low low pass, then nudging back the stick and going up into a slow axis roll as it climbs towards the patch of blue between the cumulus, it is a fabulous silhouette. As I was once told by an ex spit pilot, 'its the only plane that looks like its doing 400mph even when its parked'.
The more I read about spits the more I find myself wanting to know, its become quite obsessive and I've acquired a fairly extensive library on the subject.
On a point of interest, an art dealer friend whose also a rc pilot recently gave me a print of a beautiful oil painting of K5054, the prototype spit, taking off at Eastliegh Airport. The interesting thing is that the artist is one JW Mitchell who has signed the print to me. The surname is no coincidence, he is the grandson of RM Mitchell. Heck of a gift.
May your lipos never run low.
Wingco

Wingco, it would be a profound understatement to say that, "your post really made my day!" The values that made Western Civilization possible, personified by Sir Winston Churchill, and symbolized so beautifully by the SPITFIRE are priceless!

The following quotes by Prime Minister Winston Churchill ought to be required "memorization work" for every "free person" on the planet. Think of just how much better this world would be if every living soul were to appreciate the sacrifice and bravery of the British people who responded so courageously to the following words:

You ask, What is our policy? I will say; “It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us: to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy.” You ask, What is our aim? I can answer with one word: Victory—victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.

We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and the oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fall, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science.

Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth lasts for a thousand years, men will still say, “This was their finest hour!”

Like you I have also done everything I can think of to make my Spit stronger and more reliable as explained in previous posts, and I fly it on only very special occasions. Mainly I enjoy looking at it sitting prominently displayed on my entertainment center and like my loaded guns it is ready to be scrambled at a moments notice! Please click on the next url to bring up my pride and joy(s). CALL TO GLORY!
http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...ORY/page4.html

TOO MUCH CANNOT BE SAID ABOUT THE SPITFIRE!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]