Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Badius Owners Club: A New Hope?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club: A New Hope?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 03:35 PM
ZRAT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club: A New Hope?

If nail polish remover works, acetone is the main ingedient....Zrat
Old 04-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

What if nail polish remover doesn't work? What's the main ingredient then?

Well, I got the wind I ordered but it wasn't enough. It rained last night and this morning. I'm extremely unhappy. What I need now is a beaver [X(] A really really big one......
Old 04-20-2009, 06:08 PM
ktaylor

ORIGINAL: Teenage Pilot 14
What I need now is a beaver [X(] A really really big one......
[X(][X(][X(]
Old 04-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

..........And then the cavalry arrived.
So last night I was sitting at home minding my own business when some more of my family walked in and told me that there were some guys trying to get my plane down for me. I biked over real fast and saw one old guy and two younger kids around my age standing there chucking baseballs up at my plane. One of them wasn't so much 'chucking' as 'trebucheting'. I say this because he had those things going like 80mph 42' up (yes- I measured with a long pole.... Don't ask about that one) and quite a few of them made contact. Still, the plane wouldn't budge.

Apparently they had been watching me for 5 days and decided to help out. The enemy took several hits before it was too dark to continue the barrage and all four soldiers took cover in their homes.

Today: I was at school, no longer especially worried about my baby stuck in the tree bcause it had already been rained on, hit with extreme winds, slingshotted, baseballed, fishing poled, Mr. Long-Armed (several 12' extendable aluminum poles duct taped together), and I even tried The Force, but that didn't work out. I figured it was pretty secure up there considering how tightly it had held for the past week. Also, the people helping me said that if it came down they'd hold it until I could get it. No worries....

Well, I got home from school and since Mr. Ferndale Air Force's shipment of bad weather has arrived (including some hail on the bus ride home) I decided to stay home for awhile before going out to check. About 1.5 hours after I arrived a reliable source told me the plane was no longer present in its lofty hangup. I went to investigate. Sure enough, just as I had been informed, the plane was indeed gone from its perch. I walked up and knocked on the door of the house where I suspected it was being held prisoner (?).

The ring of the doorbell was met by a young boy of no more than 11 who seemed to display a slight one-off characteristic, like he didn't quite process information as quickly as most people. No offense meant, of course. I inquired about the lost machine and he brought me into his dwelling (overreactive people don't like that idea, walking into a total stranger's house.). On the floor lay my airplane, with the tail broken off just behind the wings. He apologized for the damage even after I basically said "**** the airframe!". He explained that it had come down on its own, which, when one takes into consideration the pounding it received over the week, seems perfectly logical. I scooped up my baby and, after profusely thanking, the boy rode home.

THE DAMAGE REPORT

Servos are all ok
ESC is most likely fine
Motor suffered some scuffs
Receiver antenna tugged a bit- nothing terrible
Airframe was totaled, but who the h@ll cares? Not me....
Battery is tricky. The cells seem squishy, but they were a bit like that before the incident. It won't charge at all yeti (as tested outside in a big metal pot) but I'm gonna pop over to the Power Sources forum becasue I recall seeing something similar there. How much current could really get drained over 5 days of inactivity? I had used a little less than half its capacity during flight.... Worse case, I get a new one from Hobby City. What they have can't be any worse than this one, if they're not the exact same thing already[&:]

Also, I discovered what happens to hot glue after 5 days of sun, rain, and heat. It turns a nasty, very familiar yellowish color similar to the product of a certain, necessary bodily function.

Can someone help me find my 1.5mm hex wrench? I seem to have misplaced it.....

Well, the ordeal is over. Everyone can stop holding their breath and relax
Old 04-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

There is no point to this post other than to say it's my 300th (as TP14....). That's what a no-topic thread is all about
Old 04-20-2009, 06:34 PM
ZRAT

i was waiting for that, do you know what a swirly is...[>:]
Old 04-20-2009, 06:43 PM
ZRAT

I just left my 3 cell/1250mAh hooked up the the ESC (Both CommonSenseRC) for a week and it measured .17V on the power leads. The freekin' on/off switch doesn't fully disable the ESC apparently, guess I should have read the directions. 1st indication something was wrong was the bloated foil felt like an inflated balloon. Hooked up to the charger and the charger didn't even detect it, last time I lost one overnight on a heli it just went into charge error. Disected pack, each cell measure .17V, the pyro in me dictated perforating the case to see if Lipo's are pyroforic, no such luck, didn't even get warm. It sat in a metal can overnight last night and still no fire. Will do the baking soda trick before disposal....Zrat
Old 04-20-2009, 06:45 PM
nyflyer56

ORIGINAL: ktaylor

[X(][X(][X(]
I wasn't gonna touch that one Either.....
Old 04-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Loubud

Nice story 14.
ZRAT
That SUX.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:07 PM
ZRAT

Live and learn, never was good at following directions. It was however a good excuse to go buy an EVO 25C pack, the CommonSense wouldn't handle the 250W on my NSSS, running the motor on the ragged edge though, it gets pretty hot w/ a 10x4.7, watt meter is on order. Zrat
Old 04-20-2009, 11:47 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Yay, Tp you got you gear back. I assume you can recreate the awesome flyer that got stuck? Add at leats 50% more control surface, see tree, roll away from tree.

Tim
Old 04-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Teenage Pilot 14

Regarding the beaver, I was simply indicating a dam animal that builds its dam home in a river, damming the water supply. If you have any dam issues against dam animals, take it up with the damn DNR From now on I'll be carefuller about my plane-retrieval method ideas.....

I think the lipo is really toast. It's got the same ailment that my other good one had recently but all three cells on this one felt all mushy, like they were filled with air. I've harvested the connector; now I just need an airsoft gun [>:]. I'm probably gonna get some new ones, along with a new charger (the batt killed my other one last night-won't charge anything now...), from Hobby City fairly soon. Time isn't much of an issue because of all this awful weather I got courtesy of Tim. [sm=punching.gif] .....

My only issue is my lack of money. I'll sell someone my toasted batt for $349.99+shipping [8D] Anyone?

Tim, I'm not increasing the control surface area at all on this plane (well, maybe a little....). I only crashed because a 3,500lb dam animal distracted me
Old 04-21-2009, 09:28 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Zrat, you will love that EVO battery.

TP, I had that weather last week and I believe in sharing..

Tim
Old 04-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Loubud

TP
Dam beavers. Just wait till you get older.
Hmm. $349.99 for a smelly lipo? OH, plus shipping. That just nixed the deal. Sorry.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:05 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Just for grins, I'm posting my tensor/blooper vid here first. I did something special when I loaded it into the computer that mad it so that I couldn't edit out the first 3 something minutes

http://www.badiusownersclub.com/vide...%20vid%201.wmv

I hope you enjoy the flying part though.

Tim

another vid, Unique this time http://www.badiusownersclub.com/vide...ut%20front.wmv
Old 04-22-2009, 05:58 PM
ktaylor

ORIGINAL: nyflyer56

ORIGINAL: ktaylor

[X(][X(][X(]
I wasn't gonna touch that one Either.....

Well, if you guys look back, you see that my post with the smiley faces was removed by RCU. That was the whole reason why I left. I SEE THINGS HAVE NOT CHANGED.

GOOD BYE
Old 04-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Loubud

Kate,
I can't find the original post.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:08 PM
ktaylor

That's because RCU and thier god-ego-complex mods delted it.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Loubud

Now here's the weird part. I've been in communication with Marc the last few days basically chewing the fat about RCU. I won't divulge most of what was said but I will say this. Marc stated he was trying to keep the Moderators from over-moderating. It looks like one of them didn't get the message or isn't all that bright to begin with.

Well Marc, you just lost one excellent motor guru. This Man Ktaylor can and does figure out motor/prop and lipo size and can hit the magic numbers faster and more accurately than anyone here or RCG. I asked him to give me a motor/3 blade prop/lipo setup for an A-26 Avenger. 92" W/S, about 18 lbs. He figured out what the plane required to fly with authority, have a good flight time along with excellent thrust and speed. The plane is now awaiting good weather for the maiden. He missed the total amp draw .46 amps.
Now if that is down right impressive I don't know what is.

I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to post on RCU again.
Sorry Marc. I'm finished with RCU.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:06 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

OK, I'll ask this in the open. If TP14's post was ok, and NYflierrs post refering to a post that refered to TP14's post was OK, Why was KTaylors post inappropriate?

I spent sometime making amends for RCU, but this smacks of the same username oriented statement suppression. I think now that DJ may have had a point. I thought the crackdown came about because of Hossfly and co. But now I'm left wondering.

Shaking my head,

Tim
Old 04-22-2009, 10:11 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gentleman,

You all know I am involved now and I am going to be moderating the badius threads exclusively. If there are any problems please don't just post and say things are terrible or the same. Give me a chance to keep the ship headed in the proper direction here. A simple PM to me explaining any issues is all that is necessary. I will read every single one and reply. When you have a case I will always intervene as I have done. We will get everything running smoothly I assure you but please recognize you have to be part of solution here and have some patience.

As I said above I'll be moderating these threads myself so from here on the buck will stop with me. If any other moderators step in here or single you out for a post you feel did not warrant moderation in any forum here you PM me asap. I will look at the issue and get back to you as well as provide remedy quickly if applicable.

Thank you

marc
Old 04-22-2009, 10:15 PM
ktaylor

Sorry, but it's just not worth the aggravation.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:27 PM
nyflyer56

Thank you Marc
Old 04-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Well Marc's best intentions, shot down by a mod. [] At least we tried too.

ZRAT, you learned a somewhat expensive lesson, leaving the pack plugged in. Could have been a lot more expensive had the pack decided to let go. [X(]
They are evil that way, they'll wait till you're not paying attention and bite you.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:58 PM
ZRAT

On the dangers of Lipo front, has anyone actually expeienced fire or explosion? I saw one post on a battery thread where a guy blew up a single cell by force charging a completly dead pack with a car battery charger but other than that I have seen little evidence in the RC world. Did see some youtube vids of cellphone batt's letting go while the phone wasin use and charging at the same time. Not that I am blowing off all the warnings.

Thanks
Zrat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.