Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Badius Owners Club: A New Hope?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club: A New Hope?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Loubud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club: A New Hope?

So there ya have it. Gerald, you're a part of this sorry group so go over there and do some votin.
Pick Shane instead of me as I think he can do a better job than I. More practical experience where I'd have to look things up.
Thanks.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:36 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

It's nice to see this thread moving again. For those of you that do not know the Humbokdt county fair took over my flying site 2 weeks ago, I should get it back next week assuming the state firemans muster isn't on the field. And my bug is in a tree, still. Hence, bo flight reports.

Tim
Old 08-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Loubud

Fern,
Heard your message you left.
Good one.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Adam G
My Feedback: (17)

So I went and flew at the club today and a guy this Aeroworks Biplane that was huge. DA 200cc 4 cylinder engine in the thing. He maidened it and I watched. How would you like to be maidening this kind of investment.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32756.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1260761  
Old 08-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Would have been a nice picture without the big finger in the way

I would love to Maiden his plane lol not if it was mine.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:13 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Adam, I would never finish a plane that size. I would be hung up on some dimension or another still. My home madehas at least 6 hrs into it and I was not that fussy.

I have stock and 5x3 props for the SU-26Micro. And am beginning to think about the P-51. If HH keeps this up I might have to look into a dedicated dsm2 radio.

Chores to do

Lou, I thought that might not annoy you overly much.

Tim
Old 08-22-2009, 05:05 PM
patnchris

I had a guy give me a World Models Barbara Jean,, last week. It seems he, somewhat assembled it and was just using it for decoration.

One Aileron was missing so I built a new one, but the thing has some type of weird covering, so I just covered it with some Monocote that was close. After taking it completely apart and reassembling it correctly, it now is ready to fly. I hope to maiden it, tomorrow. The nice thing about it was that I didn't need to buy anything to get it RTF. I reused components from crashed planes of the past. The mfg says itr needs a .50 size glow motor, but it felt really light. After completion, I weighed it and it came out at a whopping 4 lb. 9 oz. The power system will put out 800 watts for 15 seconds and 600 watts, all day long. It appears that it is some type of racer type plane. It just looks fast!!!...And it has very small control surfaces....It's not realy my flying style, but heck, it was a free plane.......We'll see how she flys in the morning....Pat
Old 08-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Loubud

What? Me annoyed?

Hi Gerald

Hi long time no see Pat
Old 08-22-2009, 09:51 PM
ZRAT

That Barbara Jean kind of looks like the Nemesis F1 plane, its a rocket on the SIM, hard to get it slowed down enough not to tear off the LG on touchdown, good luck, can't wait to hear a report.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Adam G

Pat,

Sounds like a fun little project. 800 watts should make it move. What are you using for a battery?

I figured some one would mention the finger. It was my phone I took it on. You guys should have heard that 4 cylinder gasser. The thing weighs 48 pounds. The big one are fun no doubt. My plane of choice these days is this 3D Hobby Shop 57" Suhkoi. It wieghs 5 pounds 9 ounces and I am pulling about 1300 watts wide open with an APC15x7e prop. Got four flights on it today.

Name:	Wu60135.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1261156  
Old 08-22-2009, 11:21 PM
ZRAT

Adam - 4S in the Sukhoi? Bagillion mAh 3S?
Old 08-22-2009, 11:27 PM
ZRAT

Sorry - double post.

Got my first slimer, .46OS FX, gave my buddy $100 bucks for the motor and a sixpack o' brewskis for the Duraplane trainer he never finished. Plan is ro get the motor going in the duraplane then upgrade to something cool (Pulse XT40?) after I figure out this slime thing. Probably start w/ 10% nitro. The OS book says to fire the motor then run the motor rich/lean/rich/lean for a full tank to break it in, I'm a little nervous about sticking my hand in there by the prop. Any advice?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Adam G

Zrat,

It is a 5S 3700mah battery. 76amps WOT propped with a 15x7, 80 with a 15x8. Get about 10 minutes with mixed flying. Rarely need WOT considerind it is 225 watts per pound with the 15x7.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Loubud

Cool planes. I like 4 strokes.

Adam,
Need a better pic of the Pilot.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:10 PM
patnchris

Adam.....Using a 4S 4000ma 20C. I flew it this morning....It flys great. Just a few clicks of down elevator and it was on rails.....It was pretty darned fast. I kept the flights short at 5 minutes or so and some throttle management because I was trying to figure out flight times. Got 3 flights....The good news.....I like this plane.....The bad news is that my RX sux. It was involved in a really bad crash, about a month ago, but it was what I had....As I got more comfortable with the plane I started flying it faster, which took it out further on the circuits. While it worked well when it was close, it started glitching pretty bad at the far ends of the circuits. Since I've decided I like it, I will pull and scrap the bad Futaba RX and take the Berg 7 channel out of my little Edge 540 profile. It can get by with one of my 4 channel single conversion RX's with a Y harness.....
I recharged the packs and only had to put back 1800 - 2200 ma, so I guess I don't need to fly it as conservative as I was. I forgot my temp gun, so I couldn't judge the motor temps, as I'm a little skeptical of this Scorpion motor. It's been replaced a couple of times, as it doesn't live up to the 1200 watts continous it says in it's spec's.....But I figure it should be ok at 600-800.....Pat
Old 08-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Loubud

Nice goin Pat. Pretty cool to find that you didn't use much of the lipo.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

That is a very nice looking bird, Adam.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Loubud

OOPS. Forgot.
Adam SUX.

Rat,
Goin slimey eh?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:53 PM
ZRAT

I won't be giving up electric for slime but being a mechanic these little motors are too cool not to play with
Old 08-24-2009, 01:42 AM
Loubud

We'll see. You might have been talking to Adam too much.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:24 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhhhhhh.....another 3DHS Sukhoi flyer! I picked up a 49" version of the same plane..........different color scheme. The yellow and black one is a Cermark Sukhoi I picked up last spring at a hobby expo. Both are fun flyers but the red 3DHS Sukhoi is a much better built kit. Does yours have the Carbon fiber landing gear too Adam? I have broke mine twice with not so bad landings.

Also got suckered into a TF AT 6 Texan at the LHS, the guy working there had that and a Hanger 9 Corsair that he had no room for. If I would have had the $400 I would have bought both of them.
BTW.....Hi ya guys..been lurking quite a bit but haven't chimed in yet. Er, Well until today that is.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!

Name:	Vt58623.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1262237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47318.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1262238  
Old 08-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Loubud

Hi Arrow,
Looks like the red one flys pretty good indoors.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Adam G

Arrow that is sharp. Lou is right, it flies great. I am surprised you can fly that thing indoors and that close to the ceiling as well. You are gooooood! Very nice looking planes. The 3DHS Suhkoi has really impressed me and I own an Extreme Flight Yak and a two precision Aerobatics bird too so I have flown some good ones. This one really stands out. Of course, you cannot beat the torque 4014t-580kv motor and digital high end servo's either. Very precise feeling machine in the air.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:49 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Hmmm, it seems that between the SU-26Micro and these bigger versions, this might be becoming a common plane for us.

Tim
Old 08-29-2009, 06:13 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

OK, this is a real flight report . I took the Unique and the swift2 off to the field. 4 batteries for the Unique and 1 for the Swift2. The wind was still gusting pretty good but it was no longer steady.

I did the ground checks on the Unique, revved it up and let go. Nise gentle rise following the angle of launch. Hit the timer and started the show with a giant outside loop that I almost chickened out on I had about15'to spare, but that was the first move in almost a month. And at that point the aerobatics were on. Someday, I will learn all the names, but climbing nearly straight up into an aileron rollto stall and then half roll out, I seemed to focus on more vertical stuff with rolls than horizontal into loops today. I flew through 2 batteries, then flew the swift 2 and back to the unique for the other 2 batteries. I think the Unique is the best $50 air frame ever. Ever. Until I find something else that is better

Next up was the Swift2, I went back to the smaller motor and it is happy again. By the time I had the Swift2 up I knew that the folks at the Fireman's Muster could see the planes. I knew this because one of the guys there came putting up on a Honda Trail 70. We discussed the material that the planes are made of, the quote was something along the lines of "Theyr'e Styrofoam?!?" He then mentioned that they were quiet, and I chuckled with him. Then I grabbed the swift2 and he said, "The tanks full right?". Umm, yeah, they are electric. More disbelief, then I did my control check, overhand toss hit the power. That's when I heard and it just flies out of your hand, not true technically with this plane. Anyway he watched the swift2 flight including a rather horrific crash when I got behind on the controls and forgot the rule. Use the force not the sticks. and then I demonstrated the joy of foam, surface check was ok, toss and fly some more

I then went to the elementary school for the micro sukhoi, but the wind was just too much. I should also admit that I had the usual number of kids show up, but I don't think they were locals. The local kids have an idea of who I am and that I will talk to them and let them check out the planes.

Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.