Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Badius Owners Club: A New Hope?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Badius Owners Club: A New Hope?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Loubud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Badius Owners Club: A New Hope?

Had an audience for the crash? The Fireguy must have been at least a little impressed.
Was his Honda one of the old 70's model?
Old 08-30-2009, 11:27 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Lou, he was impressed and stunned. The bike looked like what I rode as a kid. He must have been impressed, he had to ride nearly 1/2 mile to get to where I was.

Tim
Old 08-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Loubud

Too Cool.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:23 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

What a day. So the hs kids are playing football and that kills my field. And I had 6 birds in the truck I went to change the laundry and ran into my buddy. I mentioned that the kids would be on the feild until 4:30 and that the wind would be really bad by then.

He tells me that I should fly in the big field nearby. I reply that while I am certain that the owner wouldn't mind I would need to clear it with him first. Well they are both Captains in the VFD, so out comes the phone and off is sent the text. The response Yes, have fun .

So I loaded up the Unique and the Swift2 and hit the road. By this time the wind was blowing quite hard. I get to the new field and look around a bit. It is an order of magnitude better than the track infield, is bigger than the plot that the track is on and the base housing is all empty so the only neighbors are on the north side and on gilligan's island.

The pic will show the flags on the bleachers at the track, so I grounded the Swift2, But I had to christen the new field, so with a bunch of trepidation out came the Unique. This was an underhand launch with the wind, so it got exciting at first, then I got some altitude and a bit of airspeed and had an awesome flight. I was willing to get a lot more sqirrelly knowing that I had so much room to recover. It just felt better no anything for I think 1/3 of a mile. Go straight up into a stall and let the wind blow me away until I regain some speed. High and low flight, no tree monsters. Second flight was just as much fun, but the launch was much sketchier. so I packed it in.

An the Vapor this evening.

Tim

OK, I checked the dims with google earth. 370yd deep x 208yd wide with an overfly zone of empty house an additional 150 yds. Tim
Old 09-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

SWEEET! nothing like finding a new spot to fly.
A guy I just met here on RCU (Pat) showed me a new place to fly as well.
Back when I ran RC Boats, I used keep my eye on my GPS wherever I went, looking for water
Now I can use Google earth to look for fields, but sometimes the larger green areas are all trees.[]
Old 09-12-2009, 09:09 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I think that it is time to admit that the BOC membership, as a whole, no longer wishes to post on RCU. Individual members will still hang around. I would like to say thank you to Marc and most of his motley crew of overworked Mods. That the acts of of one person undid this, is nut's, but the traffic has been down since.

Tim, pres. BOC
Old 12-05-2009, 04:13 PM
OkadaKeisuke
My Feedback: (1)

Hello,

Just had my maiden with my AB!!

What a nice little plane. I found that the location of it's CG was 2 3/8" from it's Leading edge.

She launched nice and level with a slight dip down, but then began to veer ever so slowly to the left. So I adjusted the trim and it helped a bit, but not enough. It went into a small maple sapling on the edge of the field. The rudder was a little "sluggish" and had a very slow response. So I increased the rudder throw to max. After that she really flew quite nicely! I did about 20 circuits before the engine cut, then she just glided right in and landed beautifully!

I charged the battery and went out again 3 hours later. This time the wind picked up from the north a bit (6-8mph). She handled real well, I climbed slowly with WOT into the wind, and then did a left hand turn, cut the throttle to 1/3 and let the wind carry me. She was cruising!! And the end of thedown wind leg I turned left yet again and glided her in for a landing against the wind. I got near the ground and the sail plane flaired a bit (ground turbulance?) before it gently settled down. I picked her up and launced her again, did several circuits and then ended the flight when the battery ran out again.

I was surprised at how well I performed more than anything. I own a Sig Kadet Senior, and only flew it once with a fellow from the local club. I was unable to fly it again because of poor timing and work. So now that I have more time, I decided to get a cheap decent plane to learn on in the meantime. The Kadet will fly again, once I am able to arrange time with the fellow at the club. Until then I will become accustomed to the Badius and learn a few basics about RC flight.
I did order a few extra batteries, I don't mind the stock ones, and If I had a few more I could fly that much longer. I ordered these [link=http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1009]AAA 700mAh 8.4v batteries[/link] I hope they will work. I guess I should have asked you guys first. They weigh a bit more, something like 8 grams more.

Any way, I can't wait to fly the AB again!! Too much fun!!
Old 12-05-2009, 04:53 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Good deal Okada. Have fun with your plane.

Fern
Old 12-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Wheelnut

What's an AB?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:49 PM
OkadaKeisuke

AB = Accipiter Badius...
Old 12-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Wheelnut

Oh, now I get it. Thanks.
Which one do you have? I think there are several revisions of this plane isn't there?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:57 PM
OkadaKeisuke

I have the yellow straight wing slope diver. And there are many mods people have preformed, successful and un-successful. It's a fun little plane.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:30 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Man, even though the BOC has mostly moved away from RCU it's hard to come here and not drop a post in my old home.

So yeah, just checking things out around here. I was just passing through and thought I should see how the latest, weakest iteration of the BOC on RCU was doing. Not too well, I'm afraid []

Ahh, well, it was great here while it lasted. Who knows, maybe it'll come back....
Old 12-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Oh TP, forget about it. We have a pair of homes elsewhere now.

We'll continue our ways of "paying it forward" just we'll now do it elsewhere. [&:]

Hopefully those in need can still find us there.

Tim, why don't you lock or shut down this thread, just leave anyone searching for us a note on the last post of where they can find us now.