Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Has anyone had a lipo go bad for thier Mini Cub?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Has anyone had a lipo go bad for thier Mini Cub?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:06 PM
JesseJames

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had a lipo go bad for thier Mini Cub?

I was doing preflight check. When I checked to ensure the motor and throttle were working, I got very little prop speed. I then heard a hissing so I removed the battery. It got very hot and ballooned up. It no longer works. I only had about 6 flights on it. My guess is this is not a lipo normal life span. Anyone else had this problem?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:30 PM
cjg

Default RE: Has anyone had a lipo go bad for thier Mini Cub?

With a LIPO that puffing and release of gas can be very dangerous. It is usually caused by overcharging, damage, or a short.

You are lucky you didn't have a major fire.

Contact Horizon about a replacement. Do not attempt to use the battery again.

Check out Youtube for lipo fires and you will see the need to be cautious.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:50 PM
RedGN

Lipo's in general can go bad without warning. There is no definite time or reason. There is no quarantee that a lipo will last for a predetermined period of time.

If it goes bad discharge it and get rid of it. Yes descharge it.... Down to zero or as close as possible.

Just from experience. I had bought over 30 lipo batteries from different manufacturers ( Labels on the battery ) ranging from $10 to $130. So far 3 went bad just sitting there for about a week. One Evo Flight Power battery($120), One Mystery 2400 mah 3s ( $25 ) and one no name ( $20). There were about 3 batteries destroyed from crashes ( one in a lake and shorted battery) and the rest are still good. It's been about two years now with multiple charges on each.

I find these batteries are unpridictable to when they will go bad.

Hope this helps
Old 04-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Mr. Mugen

Same here. I discharge them and then soak them in a salt water solution for 2 weeks then discard in the trash. You did get lucky indeed. I have never had one catch fire personally but have had the swelling happen on about 12 occasions so far. Do not send it back! Call horizon and they will send a replacement.

Kevin
Old 04-28-2009, 08:09 PM
JesseJames

I don't think it was a charging issue. I flew it for several minutes, mostly gliding. Two days later went to fly without recharging, should have had plenty of juice. hissed and balloned up during preflight check.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Tyler P

ORIGINAL: JesseJames

I don't think it was a charging issue. I flew it for several minutes, mostly gliding. Two days later went to fly without recharging, should have had plenty of juice. hissed and balloned up during preflight check.
Did you leave it connected to something by any chance? Over discharging will damage them quite easily.