Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Parkzone NEW BRUSHLESS (YES!!!) P-51 Mustang RTF and BNF

ORIGINAL: Dr_Bojangles

ORIGINAL: jake48

A few months back I bought one of the first P-51BL's. On one of the first few flights with my new plane went dead stick hitting the ground. For the most part it was destroyed. After my own testing I determined that the likely problem was a faulty AR500 receiver.
    No kidding?Β* That's good to know - I just bought my THIRD Gunfighter.Β* The first TWO went down the same way you described.....

Thanks,
    Tim
    That's 3 Mustang P51D BNF's going dead in the air. Well mine makes number 4 and I know it wasn't the receiver.

I did 2 flights as supplied and then added a rudder servo as advocated in the manual. On my 3rd flight after 2 circuits and a loop the plane just died on me. Fortunately the wings were level, but it came down steeply taken most of the crash under the wing. The ESC had overheated. Failure investigation revealed a small hole had burned through the shrink on the bottom of the ESC and the receiver and servos worked fine on a flight pack. The plane was stock except the recommended added servo. None of the control surfaces were sticking or stiff.

Now we know that the static current draw with the stock prop and motor is 17.4A or so. Even though the prop unloads in the air there does not seem to be enough margin on the rating. (The ESC is only rated at 18A). Now it might be that the higher heat dissipation due to 4 servos on the BEC combined with the lack of adequate margin on the ESC current rating is a fatal combination. I have mentioned this to Hobby Horizon but they say they have conducted extensive testing and its adequately rated.

Has anybody else had the same problem?

Rod

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Heironymous

A few months back I bought one of the first P-51BL's. On one of the first few flights with my new plane went dead stick hitting the ground. For the most part it was destroyed. After my own testing I determined that the likely problem was a faulty AR500 receiver.
    No kidding? That's good to know - I just bought my THIRD Gunfighter. The first TWO went down the same way you described.....

Thanks,
    Tim
    That's 3 Mustang P51D BNF's going dead in the air. Well mine makes number 4 and I know it wasn't the receiver.

I did 2 flights as supplied and then added a rudder servo as advocated in the manual. On my 3rd flight after 2 circuits and a loop the plane just died on me. Fortunately the wings were level, but it came down steeply taken most of the crash under the wing. The ESC had overheated. Failure investigation revealed a small hole had burned through the shrink on the bottom of the ESC and the receiver and servos worked fine on a flight pack. The plane was stock except the recommended added servo. None of the control surfaces were sticking or stiff.

Now we know that the static current draw with the stock prop and motor is 17.4A or so. Even though the prop unloads in the air there does not seem to be enough margin on the rating. (The ESC is only rated at 18A). Now it might be that the higher heat dissipation due to 4 servos on the BEC combined with the lack of adequate margin on the ESC current rating is a fatal combination. I have mentioned this to Hobby Horizon but they say they have conducted extensive testing and its adequately rated.

Rod

I sent three RXs to Horizon – two were from the wrecked Mustangs. The third was from a third Mustang before I even flew it. They tested them and said they were all good, but sent me three brand spanking new radios ‘for my peace of mind.”

I built an EFLite PT-19 ARF and put one of the new radios in it. After about 25-minutes, while on the second battery, she went dead and spun a lot like the two Mustangs. The plane is totaled.

Before I flew the third Mustang, I put in one of the new AR500 radios that Horizon sent me. However, I used a 36-amp Castle Creations Thunderbird ESC. I also outfitted her with a Park-480 motor spinning an APC 11x7e prop. The only problem I’ve had with her is keeping control <grin>. If you’ll not careful, she’ll be in the next zip code before you know it.

Of all the planes I built, I currently have three survivors:
    An Apprentice with and a Power-25 motor and a Castle Creations Phoenix-45 ESC.
    The Mustang with the Park-480 and a 36-amp Castle Creations Thunderbird ESC.
    An EFLite Sea Fury with a Park-450 and an EFLite 30-amp ESC, but with a 10-amp Castle Creations BEC.

All of the electronics from the PT-19 survived except for the rudder servo. Attempting spin recovery had it clocked all the way over upon impact.

I've recently purchased another PT-19 ARF along with a 36-amp Castle Creations Thunderbird ESC to use in her. I haven't had a chance to build her yet.

Draw your own conclusions.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: Dr_Bojangles

ORIGINAL: -pkh-
    Looks sweet. I'll have to get a BNF version when it comes out.
    Ditto... I'm to the point where I have my local hobby store just keep my receipts in a cigar box under the counter. Β*I told 'em, ''If I take them home, there's a good chance you'll never see me again.''

[/quote

Hot Dam! Thasa good idee right there.....lol
    \"I dont have an attitude, rather, you have a perception problem\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello all,

This is my Tuskegee P-51D. I find the Z foam cell will expand like popcorn when placed in the sun so always put the plane in the shade. On the bottom left if you look closely you can see some swollen foam cells on the wing and that picture is taken after 2 hours in the sun. DP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki18694.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	1290257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn40777.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	1290258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fk16501.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	1290259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fy72133.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	1290260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om33630.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	1290261  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dai, Your plane look great, seems your pilot needs some color...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man I love visiting this thread, gotta love a mustang! I don't have one yet due to budget constraints, but still absolutely love keeping up on it! A newly painted pilot for Dai Phan is definately needed, can't have an historically accurate plane without the pilot! Saw a show on the military channel not long ago, and what these pilots did was truly amazing. If your not aware of their accomplishments and what they dealt with, you are missing out on some amazing history of the U.S.A. and WWll. Anyway...any thoughts on what paint to use on the z-foam that won't bubble the cells up?
    MMmm..Piepants..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello all,

I did pulled the canopy out and painted the pilot. However, I could not reglue it back without making some mess so I had to order another hatch and leave it as is. I used Design Master floral paint from Michael's. The silver is Super Silver and out of the can, it gives you a spectacular silver. However, the pigments will get on your hands so a clear coat is needed. But when you clear coat on any kind of silver, it will dull so with this in mind, pick the brightest silver color if you plan to clear coat it. The red and yellow do NOT affect the foam but the silver will if you coat on too heavily so be sure to mist on the layers. I use the Krylon super gloss (acrylic) and if you do it heavily, it will cause the foam to swell. If you want the paint that does not do this even with heavy coating, you should use acrylic paint (100% water based) like Createx Auto Air or Tamya paints. That is what I will do on my P-51B conversion. DP

Name:	Pn36806.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	1290678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge95034.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	1290679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us52774.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	1290680  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's my two:
    1. Heller-Bust flown by Captain Ed Heller of the 486th FS, 352nd FG.

2. The West By Gawd Virginian flown by Lt. Robert "Punchy" Powell of the 328th FS, 352nd FG (and good friend of mine).

The B model is a conversion kit offered by K&A Models.

I've only had one "brown out" and that was with Heller-Bust on it's 39th flight. No damage. I highly recommend rebinding after every 10 flights, just as a safety precaution.

Name:	Om33434.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	1296612   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ok28935.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	1296613  

Dr., I have a correction to make on my post # 162 that might be useful for pilots who are having similar radio trouble. It turns out that I had rejected five (5) AR500 receivers that failed to work with my original stock Corsair transmitter according to the hobby shop person who's memory is evidently better than mine.

The problem was the stock transmitter. My two new transmitters (operational and standby) work perfectly with all of my airplanes.

(quote)
    [I sent three RXs to Horizon – two were from the wrecked Mustangs... The third was from a third Mustang before I even flew it. They tested them and said they were all good, but sent me three brand spanking new radios β€˜for my peace of mind.”]

I believe that PZ is making it big time in business because of their great customer service as well as their super products.

Whiz and Dai Phan, great looking pictures!

Here is neat report on the GUNFIGHTER that I found interesting/useful. I especially like the discussion about the best arm to use for launch. I still can't see the need for full throttle, hard hand launching that is recommended though. ParkZone P-51D PL Mustang
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1141

ORIGINAL: Heironymous

No kidding? That's good to know - I just bought my THIRD Gunfighter. The first TWO went down the same way you described.....

Thanks,
    Tim

I did 2 flights as supplied and then added a rudder servo as advocated in the manual. On my 3rd flight after 2 circuits and a loop the plane just died on me. Fortunately the wings were level, but it came down steeply taken most of the crash under the wing. The ESC had overheated. Failure investigation revealed a small hole had burned through the shrink on the bottom of the ESC and the receiver and servos worked fine on a flight pack. The plane was stock except the recommended added servo. None of the control surfaces were sticking or stiff

Rod
    I sent three RXs to Horizon – two were from the wrecked Mustangs. The third was from a third Mustang before I even flew it. They tested them and said they were all good, but sent me three brand spanking new radios β€˜for my peace of mind.”

I built an EFLite PT-19 ARF and put one of the new radios in it. After about 25-minutes, while on the second battery, she went dead and spun a lot like the two Mustangs. The plane is totaled.

Before I flew the third Mustang, I put in one of the new AR500 radios that Horizon sent me. However, I used a 36-amp Castle Creations Thunderbird ESC. I also outfitted her with a Park-480 motor spinning an APC 11x7e prop. The only problem I’ve had with her is keeping control . If you’ll not careful, she’ll be in the next zip code before you know it.

Of all the planes I built, I currently have three survivors:
    An Apprentice with and a Power-25 motor and a Castle Creations Phoenix-45 ESC.
    The Mustang with the Park-480 and a 36-amp Castle Creations Thunderbird ESC.
    An EFLite Sea Fury with a Park-450 and an EFLite 30-amp ESC, but with a 10-amp Castle Creations BEC.

All of the electronics from the PT-19 survived except for the rudder servo. Attempting spin recovery had it clocked all the way over upon impact.

I've recently purchased another PT-19 ARF along with a 36-amp Castle Creations Thunderbird ESC to use in her. I haven't had a chance to build her yet.

Draw your own conclusions.
    madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]
    [sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is neat report on the GUNFIGHTER that I found interesting/useful. I especially like the discussion about the best arm to use for launch. I still can't see the need for full throttle, hard hand launching that is recommended though. ParkZone P-51D PL Mustang
    Well, here is my little contribution.

I am extremely right handed, which means anything I am going to throw gets launched from my right hand. Left handed throws can go literally anywhere! My wife, however, is able to use her left hand for all sorts of things, including fine work, so individual people differ. Also I fly mode 1 (ailerons and throttle on right stick; elevator and rudder on left stick) so getting the hand back to the transmitter is slightly different compared to mode 2 flyers.

Once I splatted my Mustang on launch, because there wasn't true airspeed over the control surfaces. I threw the model, quite weakly, and although the elevator was under my left thumb it was not operational through lack of air - and the ground arrived before my right hand got onto the ailerons. No damage was done and the model was in the air ten seconds later, courtesy of a short run and hard throw.

And why not use full throttle? I don't think I could measure the extra flight time I would gain from using medium throttle for launch, compared to using full throttle and reducing to medium throttle once stable flight is established. I like that eager tug at my right hand before the plane takes to the air - big grin at the memory of it! [The forecast for tomorrow is good, so I should be out flying the Gunfighter again! Even more big grins!!]

Have fun everyone, no matter how you launch.

Dave
    \"They can all be repaired...\"

G'day Dave,

You are right on target. I remember how confident I felt the first time I launched my Spitfire with a 3 cell LiPo with a hearty hand launch - total confidence. I can't remember why I became so comfortable with my soft toss launch technique. I vaguely remember a terrifying launch that accidentally had the plane in a dangerously high angle of attack immediately after launch. Easily controlled angle of attack at the instant of launch might be my biggest motivator. I tend to get somewhat emotional just before launch and it just seems to minimize the stress to "gracefully" send the ship straight ahead with just enough power and speed to feel nicely under control at the instant of launch.

My early experiences with a small not so predictable motor powered glider was the motivation behind the left hand launching technique. In the beginning it felt uncomfortable to launch left handed, but after some practice I got use to it. Now I can't imagine ever feeling the need to launch right handed for any of my flying needs. The author of the GUNFIGHTER article and I may be the only right handed flyers on the planet that prefer left handed launches - maybe not for long since he seems to have some convincing credibility. It was kind of neat to learn of someone doing what I am doing for the same reasons.

I used to have fun with some of my control-line flying friends about which hand to use for flipping the prop. My argument was that when we were little kids we would "fly" our "model airplanes" with our right hand and reach up with our left hand to spin the prop. Therefore, it is logical to hold our real model airplanes with our right hand and flip the prop with our left hand. I never convinced anyone, but I always enjoyed trying. I have never felt comfortable flipping props with my right hand.

So, the moral of the story is precisely what you concluded in your message!

ENJOY!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Viragored

Well, here is my little contribution.

I am extremely right handed, which means anything I am going to throw gets launched from my right hand. Left handed throws can go literally anywhere! My wife, however, is able to use her left hand for all sorts of things, including fine work, so individual people differ. Also I fly mode 1 (ailerons and throttle on right stick; elevator and rudder on left stick) so getting the hand back to the transmitter is slightly different compared to mode 2 flyers.

Once I splatted my Mustang on launch, because there wasn't true airspeed over the control surfaces. I threw the model, quite weakly, and although the elevator was under my left thumb it was not operational through lack of air - and the ground arrived before my right hand got onto the ailerons. No damage was done and the model was in the air ten seconds later, courtesy of a short run and hard throw.

And why not use full throttle? I don't think I could measure the extra flight time I would gain from using medium throttle for launch, compared to using full throttle and reducing to medium throttle once stable flight is established. I like that eager tug at my right hand before the plane takes to the air - big grin at the memory of it! [The forecast for tomorrow is good, so I should be out flying the Gunfighter again! Even more big grins!!]

Have fun everyone, no matter how you launch.

Dave
    First of all I find it hard to understand why a right handed person would want their throttle/rudder on the right. It doesn't take that much coordination to push a throttle and steer a rudder. But it does take more coordination to run the ailerons and elevator.
    Being right handed I feel perfectly comfortable and natural using my left hand to control the throttle as I throw the plane with my right hand. Upon release of the plane, my right hand immediately comes down to the radio to control the ailerons/elevator.
    As a matter of fact, I need a lot more practice running my rudder with my left hand. At this point I really don't use the rudder much at all since I started flying 4 channel planes.
    In the past, all my RTF models had a push lever for the throttle and the stick which was on the right, controlled the rudder and elevator. So I am used to turning and controlling elevation with my right hand. So when I bought my first real radio (JR Quattro) and I was still flying 3 channel planes, I set up the rudder on the right stick with my elevator. It just felt natural.

If I were left handed, I would want it the other way around.
    If it\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s not broke, fix it until it is

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

First of all I find it hard to understand why a right handed person would want their throttle/rudder on the right. It doesn't take that much coordination to push a throttle and steer a rudder. But it does take more coordination to run the ailerons and elevator.
    Being right handed I feel perfectly comfortable and natural using my left hand to control the throttle as I throw the plane with my right hand. Upon release of the plane, my right hand immediately comes down to the radio to control the ailerons/elevator.
    As a matter of fact, I need a lot more practice running my rudder with my left hand. At this point I really don't use the rudder much at all since I started flying 4 channel planes.
    In the past, all my RTF models had a push lever for the throttle and the stick which was on the right, controlled the rudder and elevator. So I am used to turning and controlling elevation with my right hand. So when I bought my first real radio (JR Quattro) and I was still flying 3 channel planes, I set up the rudder on the right stick with my elevator. It just felt natural.

If I were left handed, I would want it the other way around.
    Hi wheelnut - I went with mode 1 because that's what nearly everyone in NZ uses. When I was first learning and had some tuition from guys in the club, I had to use the same mode as they were using. Apart from the RTF transmitter that came with a Parkzone SuperCub, that's all I've ever used. And the PZ transmitter had direction on the right stick, pitch on the left stick and throttle slider underneath, so it wasn't that far removed from mode 1!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Viragored,
    I figured as much.
    I was just generally saying what would seem to feel more natural according to which hand you use prominently.
    If it\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s not broke, fix it until it is

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yup - or one can go with the flow, as I did. Mixing aileron and elevator for turns is quite easy with two hands ... and I don't think I'd like to try doing it on one hand, now that I've got the hang of doing it.

G'day Dave,

It just dawned on me recently why I am so comfortable with my dainty hand launching technique that I now don't recommend that anyone else use. It turns out that most of my flying is done in nice dense sea level air. At one mile high altitude I would have to toss the ship 20 percent harder than I do now to enjoy the same lift as at sea level. At two mile high density altitude 40 percent harder would be necessary.

So, the moral of the story seems to be to always use more power and launch speed than it might seem would be necessary just to be on the safe side with our killer size PF fighters. Today, with a Front Yard Fighter in a turbulent 10 MPH wind I simply released the plane with the throttle at just over half power with no forward toss at all.
    I enjoyed my very first fighter "helicopter landing" in the windy (for it) conditions.

Keep those SitReps coming.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

G'day Dave, you would have thought that I deliberately set out to prove you right yesterday if you had seen me fly. It had been a while since I had flown the GUNFIGHTER and I did not believe the trim settings that I saw on it as I readied it for flight. So, I foolishly cranked the elevator trim down to suit my notion of what it should be. Bad idea, holding the air scoop like "normal for me," I added more power than usual just in case, and noticed that I had goofed messing with the trim as I immediately had to pull up elevator to save the launch. I landed within a minute, re-trimmed the elevator back up to where I thought it was before I messed with it earlier, forgetting that I had just landed with a heavier battery than usual and that it might have slipped forward on the belly landing.

So guess what our hero pilot did next? You got it, my trusty P-51 bit the dust on take off for the very first time in its history! I noticed that full throttle seems a little uncomfortable using my air scoop holding hand launch technique, but I clearly blew this particular launch given the circumstances and my probably absolutely very final powder puff launch.

Holding the PZ 109 by the nose and launching with reasonable effort is comfortable at any power setting. I have settled on just under full throttle with it. As I mentioned before I don't want to mess up the decal on the P-51's nose so I hold the air scoop, and from now on I intend to set a good example with my launching technique, period!

Model Aviation magazine did an unusual article recently about how to trim for dealing with torque effects. Interestingly, both the GUNFIGHTER and the Messerschmitt actually required a significant amount of weight to be added to the right wing tip just to prevent tip stalling on mild outside maneuvers. With all the thuggish torque available on modern planes it would be a very good idea for every fighter Ace to check lateral CG and be absolutely sure that there is no left weight bias. My first crash with the landing gear/flap equipped 109 was a torque roll to the left on take off. Had I had the CG trim properly adjusted I would have been much happier on that maiden flight day.

Experience is showing that orientation difficulties tend to diminish with time which is very fortunate with me since I now have way to many planes that must be flown at all costs. So, don't be too hard on yourself knowing that all skills needed for RC flying will improve with gentle pressure (most of the time) over time. Rushing things too much can cause emotional frustration that can inhibit future learning, so can trying too hard to do the impossible.

So the moral of the story is to insist on having fun come what may!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys, Been checking out this thread. I have my own electronics ,so am planning on buying the replacement plane. Have searched hi&lo looking for the specs on the servo that PZ uses. specifically the SV80 Short Lead 3-Wire Servo. Does anyone know the torque/speed/weight specs for this servo?
    As I'm using a Hacker A30-28s w/Eflite 40amp esc and Apogee 3 S1P 2480 I think at 260 watts I need strong servos... Also have a Hacker A20-22L w/ Electrifly SS-25amp ESC using TP1320 3 S1P Batteries. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks... MG
    Old Skool Horsepower... If a little bit is good then a whole bunch is better, and to much still ain't enough

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HS-55s should work fine. If you want more power, go with HS-65s or HS-82s.
    Paul - Helis: Two Raptor 50V2s, Venture 30CP, Blade CX2
    Planes: Twist 60, Tribute 36, Two PZ BL P51s, Two F27C Strykers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

-pkh-, Thanx.. I have a bag of HS-55's. Best Regards, MG
    Old Skool Horsepower... If a little bit is good then a whole bunch is better, and to much still ain't enough

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Mad Web etc. - I'm pleased your Gunfighter survived hitting the deck. Mine did too, the time I failed to get it away properly. I was expecting to have to replace the prop, but that is still fine.

As you'll guess from my location, I live at sea level too so thin air is not an issue round these parts. I think I'm going to stick with my now practised launch method - firm grip on the air scoop behind the wing, point up 20 degrees or so, full throttle and positive throw straight into wind. There's often a twitch or two as it settles down, but there's enough thrust for the model to pull away at that angle and be under full control within a couple of seconds. If there is no wind, I usually add a couple of running steps to the launch throw, to make sure there is some air going over the control surfaces.

A friend of mine, with plenty of modelling experience, launched it the other day. He didn't have a really tight grip on the model and when the power came on, the nose swung down towards his arm. It was a scary moment but no harm was done. I think he was expecting less thrust than there is!

Anyway, carry on having fun :-) I'm off to the workshop now to repair my trusty old PZ Super Cub hotrod ... but that's another story.
    Cheers, Dave

G'day Dave,

With five (5) fully peaked out batteries, I brought the GUNFIGHTER along today in case it became expedient to fly at some point during today's primary mission of take off and landing testing with the Bf-109G experimental retractable flaps and specially adjusted landing gear systems. The flying session was an unqualified success and consequently emotionally overwhelming.

Glad the GUNFIGHTER was available to help settle my nerves down. Using one of my dandy 20c 1250mAh 3 cell batteries I whimped out on the hand launch. I wanted to demonstrate a virtual vertical launch but decided at the last minute to let the plane fly out 25 yards or so before slamming in full throttle and pointing the nose straight up. With its greater than 1 to 1 thrust to weight ratio this P-51 has no power problem at all climbing almost straight up to altitude. It requires control input all the way up though because it tends to wonder off so easily.

I noticed again today that there is still a tendency to roll out of outside loops and I can't quite figure out why. I have been experimenting with various amounts of wing tip weight but I still seem to have the problem. It needs to be flown and experimented with a lot more.

Yes, it is a tough little plane. I didn't really think much about it at the time, but it is a wonder we didn't at least break our props on our failed power on launches. I will save taking steps during launches for thinner air circumstances. In the meantime I must work on my show off near vertical launches.

I always prefer to gradually advance the throttle to prevent what happened to your friend. Glad everything worked out well with him.

Keep on having fun!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi again - I'm using Hyperion 25C 1600 mah batteries most of the time, and find they scarcely get warm (unless I decide to visit cloudbase too often!). You may recall my Gunfighter arrived with a badly warped wing. Although less warped than it was, it is still not straight - resting in a hot car seems to encourage the warp to return - and I fly it with quite a lot of aileron trim to keep it level. I have a lot of trouble keeping the model vertical, my current objective being smooth stall turns, and find it often will roll to one side or the other when climbing. As the turn can be to either side, I suspect it's a combination of wind gusts and pilot inputs (probably the other way round!) that determine which way it will turn. The same goes for loops, too - I find it hard to keep the model carving a true path in the sky ... but I'm working on that too :-)

I was out today (which is tomorrow for you!) in quite a strong and gusty breeze, which really made me focus on making the model go where I wanted it to, and not letting it fly me. A real challenge for me, but worth it I think.

When launching, I took note of my hand position - I am using my extended little finger (is that a pinkie?) to stop the front tipping down, while holding the air scoop behind the wing. If someone is around with a camera one day, maybe I should get them to take a photo, which will be easier to understand than loads of words.

Flaps is something I haven't tried on the Mustang. I've connected the aileron servos to two radio channels, so could program them in if I wanted to. Have you tried flaps on the Gunfighter?

Cheers, Dave

Thanks for all those ideas. I may have an unnoticed warp myself - need to do some more checking and testing instead of simply blaming all of my bad flying on myself.

The other day when I flew my "garage combat patrol 109" (no landing gear or flaps - four (4) ounces lighter than the flapped/landing gear 109) I was made to feel so confident that I flew two consecutive horizontal figure eights for the very first time. The outside loop seemed so inspiringly flawless and If I had not gotten so excited I could have kept right on flying the maneuver again and again.

Because I love the greater than 1 to 1 thrust to weight ratio of the GUNFIGHTER and the stock prop with its great diving sound capability, I won't be weighing it down with the ponderous weight of a flap system, sorry. Though my 109s look almost identical (they do provide perfect back up equipment for each other) they are different airplanes. After I am comfortable with take off and landing procedures with the heavier 109 I may be forced to use a higher thrust two bladed prop on it to enjoy the same fabulous performance possible with the lighter machine.

At the moment, I think it might be possible to simply dive the heavy Messerschmitt for the extra energy needed to perform virtually any maneuver I might ever need to fly.

FLASH! I just discovered a vitally useful tip
    for fliers of multiple planes with significantly different landing sink rates.

To acurately set down close enough to actually easily control a wide variety of flying machines with different sink rates, it really helps to circle down wind and gradually spiral down in anticipation of landing into the wind close to yourself. The flight time in the spiral path helps provide valuable instant reflex training control responses that makes great landings consistently possible - no more trying to control a landing 100 yards away because of poor landing speed judgment. It's hard to land a plane well if you can barely see it.

The above procedure is generally not needed, for me at least, if I fly only one plane a lot. That almost never happens with me anymore. I wonder if anyone else has ever come up with this potentially terrifically effective landing procedure.

Over and out.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ah - I see, you've gone for separate flaps... I was thinking of 'flaperons', using the programmable radio to flick both ailerons down a bit to give the effect of flaps, while still providing some directional control. No extra weight, but a somewhat different effect to separate flaps. I'll perhaps play with the radio one day and try it - when I'm feeling super-confident.

Cheers, Dave

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast