Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone NEW BRUSHLESS (YES!!!) P-51 Mustang RTF and BNF

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone NEW BRUSHLESS (YES!!!) P-51 Mustang RTF and BNF

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 10:33 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone NEW BRUSHLESS (YES!!!) P-51 Mustang RTF and BNF

You can trim that out with aileron trim, but it would be best to try to straighten it out.

Update on the MAS 10x6 e-prop:

I flew my Gunfighter #2 twice yesterday, and it flew well with the MAS 10x6 e-prop, but it does have much more drag than the APC 10x7e, and not nearly the speed. The MAS 10x6e seems to give you noticeable "braking" when you let off the throttle, compared the APC.

I put my Wattmeter on it again at the field, and I measured only 17.4A max with the stock 3S 1300mAh battery pack.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:51 PM
jake48

ORIGINAL: Viragored

ORIGINAL: David Eichstedt

Bojangles:

An overworked ESC is no doubt the cause, and that 10x7e prop is the culprit. The stock prop is only a 9x6, and you've gone up a step in both diameter and pitch. You were likely pulling 21-22 amps, and the stock ESC is only rated to 18. The ESC hit thermal cutoff before it would fry itself, which shut down the receiver. Since it took you 45 min to get to the airplane, the whole system had cooled down by then so it probably worked just fine (minus the wings, of course).

If you don't have a wattmeter, maybe now might be a good time to consider getting one?

Sorry for the loss. I'll bet the power increase with that prop was noticeable!

David
Hi - I hope it's OK for me to jump in with what is not strictly a reply to your post, but my question might just be right up your street.

My Mustang arrived today - yippee! - and I've done all the assembly, taking note of the hints and tips from others about taping the rudder joint, and so on.

So here's the question: should both wings be symmetrical? The starboard wing is straight - ie when I sight along the trailing edge, and 'read' the wing from behind, everything is straight. There is washout at the tip, but the trailing edge is straight. The port wing is not straight, though. There's a droop evident at about the mid-point of the aileron, with a curve down that has the effect of increasing the washout on that wing. The port wing is about 3/16 of an inch off straight. With a bit of luck, the photo will make clear what I am trying to describe.

I haven't flown the model yet, but I guess it's going to want to roll or turn to the left all the time.

Any wisdom, anyone?

Definitely not right!

I had a PZ Corsair wing warp after a repair, very similar to the warp on your P-51 wing. It was amazing how much aileron trim was needed to correct the warp. The plane would only do a nice crisp role one way because of the excessive correction in trim needed for level straight flight. To the other side the roll was never tighter than a giant barrel like cork screw. You will need to either fix the warp or replace the wing for sure.

I was able to straighten the warp by GENTLY and SLOWLY, but using a lot of force, moving the wing in the direction and BEYOND the place I wanted it to go. I then applied weight to the wing to hold it in place for several days, checking it each day until it was straight. It is now perfect and has not warped back.

I would also add - DO NOT USE HEAT!!! I tried to expedite the process with a heat gun and it bubbled the foam like popcorn popping and it will happen a lot faster than you will be able to react to.

If you have the time though, I would first try to return the wing and get a new one.

Good Luck...
Old 07-31-2009, 08:37 PM
apaulo

Re: the warped wing, it could have happened if your model was left in a hot car or direct sun or it was subjected to heat during shipping. My Corsair got a warp but it was my fault for leaving it in the hot car all day at work. For me it doesn't affect the flying characteristics, but you can tell it's warped and it looks a little goofy.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:09 PM
astro1111

Have you flown your new P-51 with the 30 Amp ESC and with the new prop?? I better that will give you plenty of overhead. I believe in at least 20-25% bigger ESC rating for the minimal cost.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Dr_Bojangles

ORIGINAL: astro1111
Have you flown your new P-51 with the 30 Amp ESC and with the new prop?? I better that will give you plenty of overhead. I believe in at least 20-25% bigger ESC rating for the minimal cost.
Yepper!

30-amp Eflite ESC, 11x8e prop with a Thunder Power 2250mAh x 30c.

And yeah, it’s all that and a bag of chips!

\ but it sure empties that battery pretty quick

Old 08-01-2009, 10:39 AM
-pkh-

So how many amps are you pulling with the APC 11x8e prop? 25A or so? She must really haul out.

I've got an APC 9x9 and haven't tried it yet to see the amp draw. I think I read in another forum that it was over 20A, though. I'll have to pull my ESCs out and see if I've got the 18A or 30A versions.

My Gunfighter #1 has a twitchy right aileron servo now. It still works OK, except for some wiggling when it re-centers. I'll probably pull both aileron servos out and replace them with HS-55s. I'll chuck the twitchy PZ servo and save the good one for a spare.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Dr_Bojangles

ORIGINAL: -pkh-
So how many amps are you pulling with the APC 11x8e prop? 25A or so? She must really haul out.
Yep, right there. Nice vertical – nearly straight up, but she wants to loop over and/or wander around unless you seriously work the elevator and rudder. I found she's easier to keep her straight in a 1 or 2 o’clock climb rate.

I've got an APC 9x9 and haven't tried it yet to see the amp draw. I think I read in another forum that it was over 20A, though. I'll have to pull my ESCs out and see if I've got the 18A or 30A versions.
Go with the 30!

My Gunfighter #1 has a twitchy right aileron servo now. It still works OK, except for some wiggling when it re-centers. I'll probably pull both aileron servos out and replace them with HS-55s. I'll chuck the twitchy PZ servo and save the good one for a spare.
good insurance…

Old 08-01-2009, 12:17 PM
DenverJayhawk

I read somewhere that the BNF version comes with the pushrods already installed for the rudder conversion. Does the RTF version also come with the rudder pushrod already installed? Also, on the RTF version, are the servos and lipo battery compatible with the Airtronics 92824 receiver (2.4 receiver for the RDS8000 TX)?

I only have two nitro models on old 72mh radios and would like to try the Parkzone P51 but haven't made the jump to a 2.4 radio system yet. I know Spectrum/JR has the most versatility for electric models. But I like the idea of a $200 2.4 radio from Airtronics that also comes with two receivers.
Thanks.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:17 PM
jake48

ORIGINAL: DenverJayhawk

I read somewhere that the BNF version comes with the pushrods already installed for the rudder conversion. Does the RTF version also come with the rudder pushrod already installed? Also, on the RTF version, are the servos and lipo battery compatible with the Airtronics 92824 receiver (2.4 receiver for the RDS8000 TX)?

I only have two nitro models on old 72mh radios and would like to try the Parkzone P51 but haven't made the jump to a 2.4 radio system yet. I know Spectrum/JR has the most versatility for electric models. But I like the idea of a $200 2.4 radio from Airtronics that also comes with two receivers.
Thanks.
Denver - No comparison in my book. Get the BNF for sure. Not only will you get the hardware for the rudder (It 's a real simple mod/install) you get the Spektrum AR500 reciever as well.

Of course you will have to get a 2.4 TX, but you will be sooooo glad you did. Worse case scenario is that if you don't want to spend the extra $$ for a nice 2.4 TX, you can pick up a Spektrum DX5 for no more than $45.00 to fill the time until you get a nicer TX.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:20 PM
-pkh-

The BNF comes with a rudder pushrod in a plastic bag. You need to buy & install a rudder servo, and follow the directions for cutting the rudder free, reinforcing it with hinge tape, and installing the pushrod.

I believe The RTF servos are 3-wire servos, compatible with a standard RC receiver. The problem is, the RTF comes with a 27MHz RX/ESC unit. So if you pull the RX/ESC unit to add a standard RC receiver, you also have to buy an ESC!

Your probably better off buying the BNF and just selling the AR500 RX on eBay or here on RCU. The BNF comes with the Spektrum AR500 RX and a separate 18A ESC.

EDIT: BTW, looking at the RTF manual, it makes no mention of adding the optional rudder servo, so I'd bet it does not come with the extra pushrod.

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/PKZ1800-Manual.pdf]PZ BL P51D RTF Manual[/link]
Old 08-01-2009, 11:22 PM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

The BNF comes with a rudder pushrod in a plastic bag. You need to buy & install a rudder servo, and follow the directions for cutting the rudder free, reinforcing it with hinge tape, and installing the pushrod.

I believe The RTF servos are 3-wire servos, compatible with a standard RC receiver. The problem is, the RTF comes with a 27MHz RX/ESC unit. So if you pull the RX/ESC unit to add a standard RC receiver, you also have to buy an ESC!

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/PKZ1800-Manual.pdf]PZ BL P51D RTF Manual[/link]
Not the case. The RTF comes with the same separate 18A ESC as the BNF. We don't include the rudder pushrod & control horn in the RTF because it ships with a 3-channel transmitter.

DenverJayhawk, you might want to take a look at bindnfly.com before making your 2.4 decision.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:31 AM
Viragored

ORIGINAL: apaulo

Re: the warped wing, it could have happened if your model was left in a hot car or direct sun or it was subjected to heat during shipping. My Corsair got a warp but it was my fault for leaving it in the hot car all day at work. For me it doesn't affect the flying characteristics, but you can tell it's warped and it looks a little goofy.
Hi - the model came right out of the box and on to the work bench, and the box came straight into the house from the courier's van! As it's mid-winter here, the sun isn't very hot yet, but as Bojangles said earlier, the box's long trip to get to NZ could have taken it through some hot places. Anyway, the wing had the warp in it when I took it out of the box.

I think it's back to the shop for this model, and hope they've got another one in stock ... that has a straight wing.

For anyone who's interested, I've installed a Futaba 2.4 gHz FASST receiver, and everything dropped in nicely. Fitting the rudder servo and making the cuts on the rudder were easy too - the rudder rod and its tube slide freely through the fuse. Even the two aileron servo wires reach the receiver comfortably so I don't need extensions on them. I've programmed into the Tx all the various settings that I think will be useful - dual rates to match the throws stated in the handbook; exponential (50% to start) on ailerons and rudder to help with my first flight fright; and I've set up flaps with 70% drop.

I raided my wife's art stocks to find paints to touch in the cut foam on the rudder - two acrylic paints from the Atelier range were pretty good, at a glance you really can't see that the cuts have been painted. The colours were olive green and cadmium yellow, a fairly close match for colour but a perfectionist would grumble that the brushed paint is somewhat glossy, and the spray painted model is all matt.

Oh well, now it's be patient till I can get to the LHS at the end of this week. Wish me luck [>:]
Dave
Old 08-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Viragored

Has anyone tried flaps on their Gunfighter?
Old 08-02-2009, 01:36 AM
mad web tv scientist

G'day Dave,

Glad to hear you got your P-51. You are definitely on a roll! Sorry about the wing. It's great that Jake has the answer though.

Thought I ought to mention that I also used my favorite ultimate quality super lube on GUNFIGHTER'S motor in addition to carefully balancing and rounding the leading edges of the stock prop. Sorry I forgot to mention that earlier. I don't know how much/if it is making that much difference. I do know that this plane in almost stock form is perfect for my purposes. I just hope I can continue saying that after I begin flying with the new DX5e that I am picking up tomorrow.

Has anyone else tried diving straight down dead stick from 500-600 feet with the stock prop and experienced the whistling and buzzing sound that I have found to be quite neat and useful to politely attract attention from potential new modeling prospects? Immediately after launch at around 2/3 - 3/4 power after climbing to altitude the excitement starts and ends with a realistic pull out and a climbing victory roll after throttling back up to 2/3 power.

Having flown fighters for a little over a year I am finally only now able to actually relax and thoroughly enjoy flying them. Until very recently stress and terror in various amounts were enemies that had to be defeated. The last few weeks found me flying only for short periods and/or only one flight and going home. I mention this to encourage new flyers to not rush their training, or get discouraged. Training can take more time than you think. It is also very useful to share experiences as some of our fun loving fellow fighter pilots are doing. You know who you are! Keep it up! We love it!

This is truly a great time to be an airplane enjoying modeler!

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]
[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:51 AM
Viragored

Yup - Jake's solution should work. Actually at the moment I prefer returning the model to the shop and getting a wing that is straight to start with ... as long as they have one in stock. They're great guys at the shop and I hope we will have a mutually acceptable outcome soon.

And thanks for the encouragement, do keep it up!
Dave
Old 08-02-2009, 03:59 AM
twiztidbowler
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

Here is my Parkzone P-51 Painted in a captured P-51 in German markings
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77367.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1248343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89264.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1248344  
Old 08-02-2009, 08:19 AM
-pkh-

Not the case. The RTF comes with the same separate 18A ESC as the BNF...
Sorry, parts listing for the RTF listed the 27 MHz ESC/RX unit. Now I see you also list the 18A ESC in the listing as well.

So why is the 18A ESC more expensive than your 30A ESC??
Old 08-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Dr_Bojangles

ORIGINAL: twiztidbowler

That’s bordering on sacrilege!

Tim

Old 08-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Dr_Bojangles

All kidding aside, that’s very nice work.

Did you airbrush that? What prep and paint did you use?

I see a different prop and spinner- any other mods?

Tim

Old 08-02-2009, 10:33 AM
DenverJayhawk

Not the case. The RTF comes with the same separate 18A ESC as the BNF. We don't include the rudder pushrod & control horn in the RTF because it ships with a 3-channel transmitter.

DenverJayhawk, you might want to take a look at bindnfly.com before making your 2.4 decision.
Thanks, David. With this being the case, I should be able to buy the RTF and retro fit it at a later time with another 2.4 receiver, such as the Airtronics 2.4 rx for the RDS8000? To confirm, all the servos, ESC and LIPO battery should be compatible with any other standard 2.4 rx and it doesn't have to be a Spectrum/JR DSM2 technology rx for these components (esc, servos, lipo battery) to work?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:53 AM
twiztidbowler
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

I did this with all spray cans except for the gun spray Yes I used primer and painted the whole airplane and got the markings from the internet printed them out on decal paper on my printer and the the prop is a APC 9x7.5E and the spinner is from Great Planes. Its alittle bit faster and has more vertical then stock, But in the future it will get a more powerful motor
Old 08-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Dr_Bojangles

I did this with all spray cans except for the gun spray Yes I used primer and painted the whole airplane and got the markings from the internet printed them out on decal paper on my printer and the the prop is a APC 9x7.5E and the spinner is from Great Planes. Its alittle bit faster and has more vertical then stock, But in the future it will get a more powerful motor
I bought one of these – it’s a perfect fit. I haven’t flown it with the Park-480 yet. I want to wring it out with the stock motor with prop and ESC mods first.

Motor Mount

Old 08-02-2009, 01:07 PM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: DenverJayhawk

Thanks, David. With this being the case, I should be able to buy the RTF and retro fit it at a later time with another 2.4 receiver, such as the Airtronics 2.4 rx for the RDS8000? To confirm, all the servos, ESC and LIPO battery should be compatible with any other standard 2.4 rx and it doesn't have to be a Spectrum/JR DSM2 technology rx for these components (esc, servos, lipo battery) to work?
I have to plead ignorance here as I haven't kept up on Airtronics lately, but yes you should be able to install the reciever of your choice in the RTF version. About 10 years ago Airtronics switched from a unique pinout configuration for their servos to one that matches JR & Futaba. I can only assume at this point that they've remained with that standard.

I don't want to sound like a salesman here, but the reason I referred you to bindnfly.com is that we have an increasing number of products offered in Bind-N-Fly completion. Looking to the future it might be more economical in the long run to go with a Spektrum or JR system, if you find airplanes like the P-51 attractive. Plus all our ultra-micros are on DSM2 which will require a radio with that protocol.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Dr_Bojangles

My first plane was a RTF Apprentice then I bought a few 'lots of parts' from Hobb-e-Mart on eBay. Lots of parts also mean extra electronics so I’ve taken to shopping for planes that are compatible with what I have. I’m new to the hobby and this allows to me to enjoy and have my pick of many different planes without a major investment each time.

I look at it as economy of scale - I shop for products that can use the RXs, TXs and batteries I already have. I’m sure Horizon Hobby had this in mine when they launched their BNF line of products.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:11 PM
WildBlueYawnder

Here's a video of my P-51D from today at our club field. I also have the T-28 Trojan and Corsair and this one is the best of the three (the other two are pretty darn good though). It's amazing how this one cuts through a head wind. And it looks so good in the air. But you guys already know that!

I did add the optional rudder servo but other than that it's stock. I figured since it was a bit nose heavy anyway I'd add the servo rather than just dead weight.

I wonder whats coming next from Parkzone ??????

Must increase hanger size....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv84E_pEqYI[/youtube]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.