Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone NEW BRUSHLESS (YES!!!) P-51 Mustang RTF and BNF

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone NEW BRUSHLESS (YES!!!) P-51 Mustang RTF and BNF

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:31 PM
astro1111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone NEW BRUSHLESS (YES!!!) P-51 Mustang RTF and BNF

Really to David Eichstedt, WildBlueWander brings up a good point that I'm sure you can't answer but...

Is Parkzone working on another beauty in time for Christmas?????
Old 08-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Dr_Bojangles

ORIGINAL: WildBlueYawnder
I did add the optional rudder servo but other than that it's stock. I figured since it was a bit nose heavy anyway I'd add the servo rather than just dead weight.
I needed that rudder today. I made a hot landing and didn’t notice one of the aileron servo arms had broken until I launched her again and saw the control rod hanging down. 3-channel recovery!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Dr_Bojangles

ORIGINAL: WildBlueYawnder
Here's a video of my P-51D from today at our club field...
That’s some nice flying there, guy!
And nice video work too. It’s obvious your cameraman is a good flyer too.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:18 PM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: astro1111

Really to David Eichstedt, WildBlueWander brings up a good point that I'm sure you can't answer but...

Yep, and the wait won't be much longer for our announcement.

Just keep your eyes open over the next few weeks.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:58 PM
DenverJayhawk

ORIGINAL: jake48

ORIGINAL: DenverJayhawk

I read somewhere that the BNF version comes with the pushrods already installed for the rudder conversion. Does the RTF version also come with the rudder pushrod already installed? Also, on the RTF version, are the servos and lipo battery compatible with the Airtronics 92824 receiver (2.4 receiver for the RDS8000 TX)?

I only have two nitro models on old 72mh radios and would like to try the Parkzone P51 but haven't made the jump to a 2.4 radio system yet. I know Spectrum/JR has the most versatility for electric models. But I like the idea of a $200 2.4 radio from Airtronics that also comes with two receivers.
Thanks.
Denver - No comparison in my book. Get the BNF for sure. Not only will you get the hardware for the rudder (It 's a real simple mod/install) you get the Spektrum AR500 reciever as well.

Of course you will have to get a 2.4 TX, but you will be sooooo glad you did. Worse case scenario is that if you don't want to spend the extra $$ for a nice 2.4 TX, you can pick up a Spektrum DX5 for no more than $45.00 to fill the time until you get a nicer TX.
Thanks, Jake.

Other than the benefit of full range and no interference, are there other advantages of using a DX5/6i/7 over the standard receiver that comes with the RTF version? The RTF transmitter should be able to handle the model just as well from a flight capability perspective (excluding the ability to add rudder at a later time) as a more sophisticated TX, yes?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:59 PM
astro1111

Your saying you guys will have some new products by Sept???
Great, can wait. Hopefully another Warbird!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 12:40 AM
WildBlueYawnder

Thank you. The video was done by the guy that's the best pilot at our club. It's real nice having him do it because he (being a very good pilot) is able to anticipate what I'm going to do next and the videos come out GREAT!!!!! He hardly ever loses sight of the model and I hardly ever have to do any cutting of the video. His arms got tired today though so about two minutes of the flight is not on the video.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Dr_Bojangles

ORIGINAL: David Eichstedt

Hmm…. I’m at the office and the magazine is home, but I remember seeing a full page ad for Horizon’s line of BNF planes.

All of the current models were there laid out on the grass, but in the bottom right hand corner of the photo is the back half of what looks to be an ME-109.

Is Horizon Hobby trying to give us a hint?

Air Combat with the GunFighter?

Tim

Old 08-03-2009, 10:33 AM
jake48

I read somewhere that the BNF version comes with the pushrods already installed for the rudder conversion. Does the RTF version also come with the rudder pushrod already installed? Also, on the RTF version, are the servos and lipo battery compatible with the Airtronics 92824 receiver (2.4 receiver for the RDS8000 TX)?

I only have two nitro models on old 72mh radios and would like to try the Parkzone P51 but haven't made the jump to a 2.4 radio system yet. I know Spectrum/JR has the most versatility for electric models. But I like the idea of a $200 2.4 radio from Airtronics that also comes with two receivers.
Thanks.
Denver - No comparison in my book. Get the BNF for sure. Not only will you get the hardware for the rudder (It 's a real simple mod/install) you get the Spektrum AR500 reciever as well.

Of course you will have to get a 2.4 TX, but you will be sooooo glad you did. Worse case scenario is that if you don't want to spend the extra $$ for a nice 2.4 TX, you can pick up a Spektrum DX5 for no more than $45.00 to fill the time until you get a nicer TX.
Thanks, Jake.

Other than the benefit of full range and no interference, are there other advantages of using a DX5/6i/7 over the standard receiver that comes with the RTF version? The RTF transmitter should be able to handle the model just as well from a flight capability perspective (excluding the ability to add rudder at a later time) as a more sophisticated TX, yes?

Denver - absolutely!

The greatest advantage over the RTF RX/TX is realy no comparison vs the DX6i/7. The DX 5 is closer in comparison to the RTF TX/RX in that it will fly the plane pretty much the same, but you will be doing it on 2.4. Let me try and list what I felt made the difference for me.

The TX on the 6i or 7 is programable. You may say, "Yeah. but I really don't need a programble TX I really only fly one plane and all that other stuff (Mixing, Expo, Sub trim, flaperons, adustable stick length/tension, 20 model memory etc etc etc) isn't something I need and I really don't want to spend the money."

Take it from someone who just got back into flying RC a few short months ago with absolutely no knowledge of 2.4 Gig stuff - if you can beg, borrow or steal - get a programble 2.4 TX! In just a few short months I went from 1 PZ Corsair to another and then a P-51 and then a Sukhoi... I now have 4 planes programmed and I can't wait for the E-Flite P-40 that is comming out in September -Oh yeah!!!!!!!! And they all are personally programed on one TX. I was going down the path of buying DX5's, but quickly realized how inefficient it was to lug around multiple TX's and if I just would have bought the DX6i in the first place, I could have actually saved some $$ too.

You may not feel like you need all the features and truthfully, if all you are going to do is fly the P-51 BL, you really don't need the extras, but if you go with a DX6i or 7 you will be amazed at how fast you will not only learn how to mix, set up expo etc, you will really see how easy it is to fly a plane and understand each individual plane's characteristics. The knowledge you will create will make flying more enjoyable and an additional bonus to that knowledge will be less flights into the ground At least that is how it worked for me...

To summarize - with 2.4 Gig stuff - custom programability, model memory, smoother more "Solid" feel on all levers switches, longer battery life, easy to read LCD screen, reliable frequency availability, less interference, lighter TX, works with flight simulators. In short, it is just a much easier TX/RX to use than the older techonolgy. Less stress. And that is a good thing.

Lastly, and this is minor, but for me, the P-51 BL RTF TX and RX look and felt 'Cheap." I recently flew my P-51BL into a soccer field flood lamp. It was like flying into a gigantic cheese grader - the plane was pretty much destroyed. Given that there were no BNF P-51's available and the local LHS had several RTF's for sale, I decided to just go ahead and buy the RTF. I opened the box to look at the plane and check everything out. The TX looked and felt like a "Cheap" toy from China. The plane had a hole punched in the fuselage were the radio antenna came out and had another foot or more of antenna wire trailing behind it and off of the top of the rudder. I also took note that there was no hardware for the rudder and the RX looked just as "Cheap" as the TX. Forget it, I would rather wait and get another AR500 with the BNF version.

I can fully understand that if you want to get a P-51BL in the air, the most economical way to do it is the RTF and don't get me wrong, it will be a great plane to fly and I am sure bring hours of pleasure - but...

Seriously consider the BNF and enter the world of 2.4 Gig RX/TX - you will be glad you did!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:24 AM
bigdog5332

ok so what would be a good motor to upgrade to i have a apc 10x7e and the 30 amp esc but at almost 6000ft above sea level i need more power. i was thinking of like a turnigy 35-30 or should i go with like the eflite 480 or 15

thanks
bigdog
Old 08-03-2009, 12:14 PM
WildBlueYawnder

I agree with Jake48. If you can - get a Spektrum transmitter. Carry around only one transmitter (until you get too many models!!). No receiver wire hanging out of your semi-scale models. No interference from other modelers. No frequency worries if you fly in town at parks,etc. Programmable (servo travel, mixing, dual rates, exponential (make the controls softer), works for airplanes and helis (you'll want one someday), etc.). "Model Match" technology so you can't take off using the wrong settings. Long battery life. Fly for hours and hours without recharging the transmitter. The list goes on.

Note: Futaba 2.4 doesn't have "model match" and I saw two crashes yesterday when guys picked the wrong model in the transmitter!!! It's poor procedures on their part not to preflight their model but if the transmitter didn't allow mistakes then they wouldn't have to follow procedures.

I also recently took up RC again after a 25 year absence. The technology changes are amazing. I wouldn't give up my Spektrum electronics now.

The only drawback is that I have the DX7 (20 model memory) and DX6i (10 model memory). The DX7 is FULL and the DX6i will be soon. If you have the space available in the model memory your hanger will grow to fill the space!!!! I know!!
Old 08-03-2009, 02:27 PM
DenverJayhawk

Thanks.

Thanks, Jake.

Denver - absolutely!

The greatest advantage over the RTF RX/TX is realy no comparison vs the DX6i/7. The DX 5 is closer in comparison to the RTF TX/RX in that it will fly the plane pretty much the same, but you will be doing it on 2.4. Let me try and list what I felt made the difference for me.

The TX on the 6i or 7 is programable. You may say, ''Yeah. but I really don't need a programble TX I really only fly one plane and all that other stuff (Mixing, Expo, Sub trim, flaperons, adustable stick length/tension, 20 model memory etc etc etc) isn't something I need and I really don't want to spend the money.''

Take it from someone who just got back into flying RC a few short months ago with absolutely no knowledge of 2.4 Gig stuff - if you can beg, borrow or steal - get a programble 2.4 TX! In just a few short months I went from 1 PZ Corsair to another and then a P-51 and then a Sukhoi... I now have 4 planes programmed and I can't wait for the E-Flite P-40 that is comming out in September -Oh yeah!!!!!!!! And they all are personally programed on one TX. I was going down the path of buying DX5's, but quickly realized how inefficient it was to lug around multiple TX's and if I just would have bought the DX6i in the first place, I could have actually saved some $$ too.

You may not feel like you need all the features and truthfully, if all you are going to do is fly the P-51 BL, you really don't need the extras, but if you go with a DX6i or 7 you will be amazed at how fast you will not only learn how to mix, set up expo etc, you will really see how easy it is to fly a plane and understand each individual plane's characteristics. The knowledge you will create will make flying more enjoyable and an additional bonus to that knowledge will be less flights into the ground At least that is how it worked for me...

To summarize - with 2.4 Gig stuff - custom programability, model memory, smoother more ''Solid'' feel on all levers switches, longer battery life, easy to read LCD screen, reliable frequency availability, less interference, lighter TX, works with flight simulators. In short, it is just a much easier TX/RX to use than the older techonolgy. Less stress. And that is a good thing.

Lastly, and this is minor, but for me, the P-51 BL RTF TX and RX look and felt 'Cheap.'' I recently flew my P-51BL into a soccer field flood lamp. It was like flying into a gigantic cheese grader - the plane was pretty much destroyed. Given that there were no BNF P-51's available and the local LHS had several RTF's for sale, I decided to just go ahead and buy the RTF. I opened the box to look at the plane and check everything out. The TX looked and felt like a ''Cheap'' toy from China. The plane had a hole punched in the fuselage were the radio antenna came out and had another foot or more of antenna wire trailing behind it and off of the top of the rudder. I also took note that there was no hardware for the rudder and the RX looked just as ''Cheap'' as the TX. Forget it, I would rather wait and get another AR500 with the BNF version.

I can fully understand that if you want to get a P-51BL in the air, the most economical way to do it is the RTF and don't get me wrong, it will be a great plane to fly and I am sure bring hours of pleasure - but...

Seriously consider the BNF and enter the world of 2.4 Gig RX/TX - you will be glad you did!
Jake,
Thanks for the great write up. Quick question on the DX6i. If I get it, I'll want to retrofit my two glow models with DSM2 receivers. Is the Dx6i TX capable of mixing flaperons and spoilerons with the AR6200 or AR500 receiver? My current glow model is a Big Stik 60 with a separate servo in each wing for the aileron. I currently have ailerons on a y-harness because my current radio is an old FM 72mhz Hi-Tec. If I get a new computer TX, I'd like to try out this feature (flaperons and spoilerons)

EDIT: i'm assuming spoilers and flaperons won't work with the AR500 receiver since it's a 5 channel and the two aileron ports are really just a fancy "Y harness" on one channel?
Old 08-03-2009, 05:13 PM
jake48

Jake,
Thanks for the great write up. Quick question on the DX6i. If I get it, I'll want to retrofit my two glow models with DSM2 receivers. Is the Dx6i TX capable of mixing flaperons and spoilerons with the AR6200 or AR500 receiver? My current glow model is a Big Stik 60 with a separate servo in each wing for the aileron. I currently have ailerons on a y-harness because my current radio is an old FM 72mhz Hi-Tec. If I get a new computer TX, I'd like to try out this feature (flaperons and spoilerons)

EDIT: i'm assuming spoilers and flaperons won't work with the AR500 receiver since it's a 5 channel and the two aileron ports are really just a fancy ''Y harness'' on one channel?
Denver - Mixing flaperons & ailerons is not something I have tried yet. I've tried the basic mix with aileron & rudder and Aileron & elevator. I am sure there are some here that have that experience and knowledge.

Sorry, can't help on that one...
Old 08-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Viragored

It's probably nothing to rely on, but all the computer radios I've seen around our club use the same basic system for flaperons - plug the right wing into channel 1, the left into channel 6, and then program the radio to work them as flaperons. At that point the detail is different, but channels 1 and 6 seem to be the same on all of them. Works for Futaba, JR and some Spektrum that I've seen. But I'm a bit of a novice here.... I've programmed flaperons in my Futaba 6Ex 2.4gHz set, and it works a treat. Everything is adjustable, including aileron differential (eg more up than down) if you want it. Go for it!
Old 08-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Viragored

Definitely not right!

I had a PZ Corsair wing warp after a repair, very similar to the warp on your P-51 wing. It was amazing how much aileron trim was needed to correct the warp. The plane would only do a nice crisp role one way because of the excessive correction in trim needed for level straight flight. To the other side the roll was never tighter than a giant barrel like cork screw. You will need to either fix the warp or replace the wing for sure.

I was able to straighten the warp by GENTLY and SLOWLY, but using a lot of force, moving the wing in the direction and BEYOND the place I wanted it to go. I then applied weight to the wing to hold it in place for several days, checking it each day until it was straight. It is now perfect and has not warped back.

I would also add - DO NOT USE HEAT!!! I tried to expedite the process with a heat gun and it bubbled the foam like popcorn popping and it will happen a lot faster than you will be able to react to.

If you have the time though, I would first try to return the wing and get a new one.

Good Luck...
Hi Jake - I've had the Mustang on the bench for a couple of days with a bit of warmth from the sun through the window, and some weights and props (just stuff lying around, of course) and now the warp has almost gone - yippee! There's still a bit of a bow in the aileron, but I reckon that should go over the next day or two, with a bit more of the same treatment. The wing is now close enough to straight to fly. Thanks for the advice, and especially the warning to avoid the popcorn foam result

Cheers, Dave
Old 08-03-2009, 08:52 PM
mad web tv scientist

Jake, interesting Spektrum info. My question is, is there a limit to the number of planes that can be bound to a DX5e transmitter? I haven't found a limit yet. My only reason for buying extra DX5e transmitters has been to have back up just in case.

Today, I used my "somewhat crude altimeter" (extended little finger nail) to practice setting a good example of flying at a maximum altitude of 400 feet (angular distance is approximately 2/3rds the distance across my finger nail for the P-51 wing span) from which I started my now standard opening air show maneuver. I was curious about the diving speed. After several trials using the "one thousand one, one thousand two, . . . method" to time the un-powered dives I came up with around 40 mph which provides a 5 - 6 second noise making, polite attention getting dive. The pull out and following victory roll were quit sloppy compliments of my concentration on timing, etc..

My new DX5e performed flawlessly. I experimented with transmitter voltages below 5 volts and finally gave up on trying to get the new transmitter to fail under conditions that were much worse than I ever intend to experience in any real situation.

I am looking forward to binding some new fighters to my DX5es.

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]
[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:30 PM
jake48

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist

Jake, interesting Spektrum info. My question is, is there a limit to the number of planes that can be bound to a DX5e transmitter? I haven't found a limit yet. My only reason for buying extra DX5e transmitters has been to have back up just in case.

Today, I used my ''somewhat crude altimeter'' (extended little finger nail) to practice setting a good example of flying at a maximum altitude of 400 feet (angular distance is approximately 2/3rds the distance across my finger nail for the P-51 wing span) from which I started my now standard opening air show maneuver. I was curious about the diving speed. After several trials using the ''one thousand one, one thousand two, . . . method'' to time the un-powered dives I came up with around 40 mph which provides a 5 - 6 second noise making, polite attention getting dive. The pull out and following victory roll were quit sloppy compliments of my concentration on timing, etc..

My new DX5e performed flawlessly. I experimented with transmitter voltages below 5 volts and finally gave up on trying to get the new transmitter to fail under conditions that were much worse than I ever intend to experience in any real situation.

I am looking forward to binding some new fighters to my DX5es.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Mad - No limit on how many times you can bind a plane to the Dx5e - it's just that you have to re-bind every time you fly a different plane. With the DX6i or DX7 you can store bound planes in memory, thus negating the need to re-bind when switching from plane to plane. The Dx6i will store 10 and the DX7 will store 20. This include all your personal settings/mixes etc. You can even program different mixes and expo's for the same plane if you would like, just store the settings on one of the 10 available memory spots and title it - P-51, P-51 mix #2, #3 etc...

In all actuality, if you consider that you also have individual switches that can be switched from 0 & 1 or on/off if you will, for rudder, ailerons, elevator and mix and that each switch can be manipulated for a pre-determined setting in and of it's self, the custom combination's are pretty extensive - not just one high / low like the DX5e...
Old 08-04-2009, 01:15 AM
mad web tv scientist

[8D] jake, I failed to explain that my DX5es are, in fact, bound to multiple planes. Your statements about limits got me concerned now that my fighter squadron is beginning to grow into an unstoppably huge force.

Before I bought my newest DX5e my now best back up DX5e was bound to seven (7) aircraft. I drew switch positions for each different plane on the front of the transmitter so that I could have the transmitter ready when I was ready to plug a battery in a different plane for flight. At the moment my newest DX5e is bound to three (3) planes and no binding is necessary when I change from one plane to another.

I trim all my planes manually so that the trim adjustments on the common transmitter are all very close to the trim center point. Once the planes are perfectly in trim, no adjustments are necessary when changing from one plane to another. For example, today's flight with the GUNFIGHTER was comfortably accomplished without touching any transmitter trim adjustments.

After changing the switch positions on the transmitter for the F4U, if the trim on the plane is properly adjusted I shouldn't have to do any transmitter trimming with it at all or at least not much more than a couple of "beeps" one way or another shortly after takeoff. No binding is necessary when I prepare to fly the Corsair - only the transmitter switches must be changed.

So, my question still is, is there an upper limit to the number of planes that I can have bound to my DX5es. Could having too many planes bound to my transmitter cause RF problems?

I must find out what the safest practical way to continue growing my fighter air attack force is while there is still a very good chance of participating in winning the war!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 08-04-2009, 06:17 AM
Dr_Bojangles

I use the DX5e and I put one of these in each of my planes. It's not mixing and expo, but it makes getting up and flying a little easier.

Click here

Old 08-04-2009, 08:35 AM
jake48

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist

[8D] jake, I failed to explain that my DX5es are, in fact, bound to multiple planes. Your statements about limits got me concerned now that my fighter squadron is beginning to grow into an unstoppably huge force.

Before I bought my newest DX5e my now best back up DX5e was bound to seven (7) aircraft. I drew switch positions for each different plane on the front of the transmitter so that I could have the transmitter ready when I was ready to plug a battery in a different plane for flight. At the moment my newest DX5e is bound to three (3) planes and no binding is necessary when I change from one plane to another.

I trim all my planes manually so that the trim adjustments on the common transmitter are all very close to the trim center point. Once the planes are perfectly in trim, no adjustments are necessary when changing from one plane to another. For example, today's flight with the GUNFIGHTER was comfortably accomplished without touching any transmitter trim adjustments.

After changing the switch positions on the transmitter for the F4U, if the trim on the plane is properly adjusted I shouldn't have to do any transmitter trimming with it at all or at least not much more than a couple of ''beeps'' one way or another shortly after takeoff. No binding is necessary when I prepare to fly the Corsair - only the transmitter switches must be changed.

So, my question still is, is there an upper limit to the number of planes that I can have bound to my DX5es. Could having too many planes bound to my transmitter cause RF problems?

I must find out what the safest practical way to continue growing my fighter air attack force is while there is still a very good chance of participating in winning the war!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Mad, clever work around, but too much work for me. Now that you mention it though, I think I recall reading a post where someone had bound more than one plane to his DX5e, but that is what gave him his sad, but I have to admit, somewhat funny lesson. It seems that he got in a hurry to fly the second plane that was bound to his reciever after flying his nice shiny new P-51BL. He placed hsi P-51 inside his car and flew his second plane. Upon returning to his car he saw that he had inadvertantly left the power on his P-51 and it had taken flight inside the car while he was going through his pre-flight checks on his second plane! Imagine walking by the car and seeing a P-51 flying around inside the car with the windows rolled up!

If I remember correctly, only minor damage occurred to car and plane.

I guess the lesson to learn is be carefull with the DX5 as it does not visually indicate which plane you are bound to and never have more than one plane that you have bound with the power connected around the TX at a time.

Clearly, in answer to your question of how many planes - I have no clue - sorry!!! I was thinking in terms of specific individual planes programmed with each planes pre-set respective settings.

EDIT: Found the post. It wasn't a DX5e it was a Futaba - basically the same scenario though... [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12542892&postcount=36]OOPS!!![/link]
Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 AM
apaulo

MESSAGE TO DAVID EICHSTADT, PARK ZONE: More Bind N Fly! For what

Reply to David Eichstedt: More BNF's, get it?! What I want and need out of this hobby is to get in the air with a minimum of fuss. BNF's meet my need: I've got 2 Corsairs, the P-51D, the T-28, the Vapor, and the Blade mCX. That's six out of 20 model memory on my DX7, so I'm counting on you to fill in all the blanks. With that said, please don't keep us in suspense; what is the new model you'll be announcing? Don't worry, we'll keep it a secret and we'll tell everybody we tell to keep it a secret.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Dr_Bojangles

ORIGINAL: apaulo

MESSAGE TO DAVID EICHSTADT, PARK ZONE: More Bind N Fly! For what

Reply to David Eichstedt: More BNF's, get it?! What I want and need out of this hobby is to get in the air with a minimum of fuss. BNF's meet my need: I've got 2 Corsairs, the P-51D, the T-28, the Vapor, and the Blade mCX. That's six out of 20 model memory on my DX7, so I'm counting on you to fill in all the blanks. With that said, please don't keep us in suspense; what is the new model you'll be announcing? Don't worry, we'll keep it a secret and we'll tell everybody we tell to keep it a secret.

In a previous message I mentioned seeing a full page ad for Horizon’s line of BNF planes. All of the current models are there. In the bottom right hand corner of the photo is what I thought I had remembered as the back half of a plane.

I checked the magazine again last night and I was wrong, the photo shows the left wing tip of a plane with WWII German markings.

Now I’m even more confident it’s an ME-109.

This attached photo ISNOT from the magazine ad. It is a cut and paste from an ME109 photo. However, if anyone has seen the ad, compare the two.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67423.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1250177  
Old 08-04-2009, 12:54 PM
jake48

ORIGINAL: Dr_Bojangles
In a previous message I mentioned seeing a full page ad for Horizon’s line of BNF planes. All of the current models are there. In the bottom right hand corner of the photo is what I thought I had remembered as the back half of a plane.

I checked the magazine again last night and I was wrong, the photo shows the left wing tip of a plane with WWII German markings.

Now I’m even more confident it’s an ME-109.

This attached photo IS NOT from the magazine ad. It is a cut and paste from an ME109 photo. However, if anyone has seen the ad, compare the two.
It's been done...

Old 08-04-2009, 12:58 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Dr_Bojangles

I use the DX5e and I put one of these in each of my planes. It's not mixing and expo, but it makes getting up and flying a little easier.

Click here
That's a clever way to use one non-computer radio for multiple planes, but it would drive me nuts having to re-trim every time I switched planes, especially with hand-launched models. The best way to trim out hand-launched models is to have a buddy toss the plane so you're always on the controls. Since I'm usually flying by myself at a nearby airfield, I usually just eyeball the neutral trims, maybe give it a couple clicks of up elevator (I rather have it climb a little than dive on launch), and toss it myself. That's worked well for me so far, but I never look forward to that process, and to have to do that each time I switch planes would be a real pain IMO.

Plus, the first time you forget to reverse an elevator or aileron channel, you'll really be wishing you had a computer radio instead.

Anyway, these are all just good excuses to go buy a DX6i or DX7!

I've got both, and I have all my electrics on the DX6i. I run alkaline batteries in it, and I never have to worry about charging it up before I go fly. A set of four AA alkalines costs be about $0.80, and they last me for several months. I just keep a spare 4-pack of AAs in my radio box. If I decide to go fly for an hour or so, I can just throw my planes, LiPo batts, and DX6i in the car and be on the way to the field within 10 mins.

All my nitro planes are on the DX7, and that must be charged up the night before I go fly. That's OK, since the RX packs in the nitro planes need to be charged up the night before as well, so everything goes on the charger the night before. My next upgrade will be a LiPo pack for the DX7 so I don't have to charge it as often!
Old 08-04-2009, 03:02 PM
mad web tv scientist

jake, thanks for the LOL story. Having experienced past preventable catastrophes myself due to stupidly forgetting to check switches in the past I am now somewhat neurotically paranoid about switches. I always check switches carefully now - more than once! Unfortunately, I got a little rattled recently by possible new spectators at a park and although I did nervously check control function before launching the P-51, I forgot to range check the system - something I almost never forget to do.

The plane flew unusually sluggishly on this flight. Fortunately, although I had to show off, of course, the flight ended successfully. The right elevator servo pushrod on my dual redundant safety split elevator system had been accidentally glued to the side of the fuselage! Can you imagine the stress on that poor little 1/4 oz. servo every time I applied full elevator control? Fortunately, that servo is still functioning like a champ in spite of such abuse.

Speaking of servos, my left aileron servo experienced a little spell of "minor buzzing" when the control surface was lightly touched just recently. The phenomena seemed to be a little less after my last flight. Am I in danger of a servo failure? With lots of rudder control that I have dialed in, I should be able to override almost any aileron servo failure, right?

Sorry about all the questions, but I got'sta know!

-pkh- I hear ya, that is why I learned to launch left handed - no problems except that one reported time with landing gear.

Dr., great intelligence work on that secret 109! It must be captured, test flown, and put to good use in clandestine missions that could materially affect the outcome of the war! Keep up the good work. This is one Messerschmitt that must not be allowed to get away!

Okay, I notice that all of the planes bound to a DX5e require different switch settings. In the beginning I tried to fix this "problem" (?) by simply reversing the servo plugs - VERY BAD IDEA! I found myself taking that receiver (for some "unknown reason" it stopped working) back to the hobby shop, like I "had to do" (?) a time or two before because of "bad receivers" (?) that would not bind to my original stock Corsair transmitter that was "obviously good" (?) since, except for some "minor" (?) events reported on earlier, my stock F4U DX5e performed flawlessly.

So, unless instructed otherwise, I will assume that nine (9), three times three switches could provide at least nine different spaces for planes. To be "safe" a new DX5e will probably be bought for every fifth new fighter - a little Ace reward for taking down five planes. It won't hurt to have a few extra back up transmitters. After all, this could turn out to be a really long grueling war!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.