Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone NEW BRUSHLESS (YES!!!) P-51 Mustang RTF and BNF

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone NEW BRUSHLESS (YES!!!) P-51 Mustang RTF and BNF

Old 05-19-2009, 01:32 AM
htjoel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone NEW BRUSHLESS (YES!!!) P-51 Mustang RTF and BNF

Hey all,

as a big Parkzone fan (PZ original brushed J3 Cub, original brushed Super Decathlon-(rest in pieces)-, Mustang (2), FW-190, Spitfire, T-28 Trojan, and Corsair pilot) I haunt the Parkzone website fairly regularly and saw this today: http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ1800

It's BRUSHLESS!!!!!
It's a Mustang!!!!
It comes either as a BNF (for DSM radios)or RTF!!!
It comes with a Li-Po Battery and charger!!!
You can add an optional Rudder with 1 extra servo!
Looks like another winner from Parkzone!!!

Cheers from the desert,
Joel

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91819.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	1201466  
Old 05-19-2009, 07:25 AM
canadianmaple09

Default RE: Parkzone NEW BRUSHLESS (YES!!!) P-51 Mustang RTF and BNF

It looks great! The aileron servo on my original PZ Mustang just went and so did the battery pack, and I was considering throwing hundreds of dollars into it to make it brushless and lipo. But with this out now it just makes much more sense to go with the BNF! Terrific news, I just wish they had done it earlier, I only bought my Mustang this past fall... would have rather not wasted the $150 that I paid for it!
Old 05-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, wow. One of my favorite Mustangs, Gunfighter. I might have to save my pennies and get one soon.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:15 PM
mad web tv scientist

WAY TO GO PARKZONE!

Important missions must be accomplished first, of course, but the real issue is not if, but when, I and every other bona fide fighter enthusiast must procure at least one GUNFIGHTER!

It will serve in my future armada as the main weapon for use under the worst flying conditions along side the Corsair in demonstration of the power and sophistication of historic fighter planes.

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT DEVELOPMENT!

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]
[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Murray_CYHZ

Just orderedthe BNFfive minutes ago online. My LHS will have them on June 30th here in Atlantic Canada (Dartmouth, Nova Scotia). It will look very nice next to my T-28 and my new Corsair (coming Friday) on the field. For those who are curious, the price for the BNF in CAN dollars is $208.00 before taxes (add 13%) - shipping included. Not bad for such an excellent product!

Murray
Old 05-27-2009, 06:00 AM
tam popo

Guys...one of my fave planes is the 'Stang (in any form!!!). But I'm worried, and I won't buy one of the new ones till I see a review - the reason is.....why did they use the ZX10 TX system? Why didn't they use the DX5 TX etc (a la F4U), and are the servos 5 or 3-wire? What is the rating for the ESC and is it the crap all-in-one Parkzone system? There are no fying clubs I know in the UK that will accept a 27mhx plane at their sites...its got to be 35mhz (peg-board system) or the 2.4 system used by Futaba or Spectrum. Its a pity....a full range 'Stang using DX6i and (maybe) 1800 3S lipo would be brilliant. The isea is great but the execution is Cr........!!!! Sorry to rain on your parade.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:03 AM
tam popo

Just to clarify that last post - DX6i/Futaba gives multiple computerised trim settings at the flick of a button, and when you have a plane like the 'Stang you will want everything it can give - 2.4 should have been the way to go.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:35 PM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: tam popo

Guys...one of my fave planes is the 'Stang (in any form!!!). But I'm worried, and I won't buy one of the new ones till I see a review - the reason is.....why did they use the ZX10 TX system? Why didn't they use the DX5 TX etc (a la F4U), and are the servos 5 or 3-wire? What is the rating for the ESC and is it the crap all-in-one Parkzone system? There are no fying clubs I know in the UK that will accept a 27mhx plane at their sites...its got to be 35mhz (peg-board system) or the 2.4 system used by Futaba or Spectrum. Its a pity....a full range 'Stang using DX6i and (maybe) 1800 3S lipo would be brilliant. The isea is great but the execution is Cr........!!!! Sorry to rain on your parade.
We were focused on getting a good brushless product under $200 in the US, and going with a DX5e would have pushed the price significantly over $200. The servos are 3-wire, and the ESC is a good-quality, 18A, separate component, not an all-in-one.

If you want a Spektrum system, get the BNF version and use it with your existing transmitter, or purchase a DX5e transmitter only (SPMR5500), which in the US is only $59.99.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:26 PM
CBM Racing

I want one too! But glad to see spektrum not included in this one. The dx5e that came with my corsair has been trouble free, the one that came with bro's radian is no good. Random failures, not trustworthy at all, really a poor radio system for any price. Mine is going in the dumpster before flying my corsair again as after seeing with my own eyes, I cannot trust spektrum radio gear. The mustang should really rock though! Must resist for just a bit longer though, but it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine....
Old 05-30-2009, 11:22 AM
tam popo

Guys - justto let everyone know....David (Horizon Hobbies) sent an E-mail to me explaining that the PNP 'Stang will be coming, and yes I want one!!!! I have a feeling that this Bird will be a winner - 3 wire, b/less and lipo....what more do you want. And the best looking plane ever made. Thank Gawd for decent customer service.......
Old 05-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Oregon Craig

FInally admitting that the previous Mustang was either underpowered for it's weight or too heavy for it's power. Abit late but better than never. Yay Horizon.
ORIGINAL: David Eichstedt

ORIGINAL: tam popo

We were focused on getting a good brushless product under $200 in the US, and going with a DX5e would have pushed the price significantly over $200. The servos are 3-wire, and the ESC is a good-quality, 18A, separate component, not an all-in-one.

If you want a Spektrum system, get the BNF version and use it with your existing transmitter, or purchase a DX5e transmitter only (SPMR5500), which in the US is only $59.99.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:57 AM
downunderdog

I wonder why they went with an 18A ESC... is this one lighter/smaller than the Trojan and Corsair?  Those now come with 30A ESCs, I think.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:32 AM
ggunners

ORIGINAL: downunderdog, I wonder why they went with an 18A ESC... is this one lighter/smaller than the Trojan and Corsair? Those now come with 30A ESCs, I think.
Dude, to save money and keep the cost down. The new 'stang is very streamlined i.e. less drag. Others see the potential for much increased speed just by swapping props and dropping in an new ESC. Of course, your amps go up and flight times go down. So, if ParkZone keeps the ESC at 18amps and underprops it a bit,it saves cost on the battery andESC and helpskeep the opening price down.

After you buy it, feel free to hop it up all you want....

BTW, if you want to try flying this new model via RC-SIM, check out this post.

ggunners
Old 06-05-2009, 11:51 AM
-pkh-

Looks sweet. I'll have to get a BNF version when it comes out.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Dr_Bojangles

ORIGINAL: -pkh-
Looks sweet. I'll have to get a BNF version when it comes out.
Ditto... I'm to the point where I have my local hobby store just keep my receipts in a cigar box under the counter. I told 'em, "If I take them home, there's a good chance you'll never see me again."

Old 06-25-2009, 09:33 PM
friedclutch

No landing gear? What a bummer.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Dr_Bojangles

ORIGINAL: friedclutch

No landing gear? What a bummer.
Here's a discussion we're having about retro-fitting the retracts used on the Eflite Sea Fury to the new P-51.

But, we need the gosh-darn plane already!!

[link=http://www.horizonrcflyers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332]Click Here[/link]

Old 06-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Dr_Bojangles

They’re Hereeeeeee….

Old 06-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Murray_CYHZ

I wish I lived in the States... on occasions like this. Mine won't be here for another week or so! Oh well, I'll keep flying the old version for now!
Old 06-27-2009, 12:57 AM
idigrc2

Picked mine up tonight after work, charged the battery, bind it to my dx7 and got one flight before the sun went down. All I can say is freaking sweet man, just wish it came with retracts.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:03 PM
-pkh-

So how does she hand-launch? Any torque roll after launch?
Old 06-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Dr_Bojangles

So how does she hand-launch? Any torque roll after launch?
YES - NO.

I flew four batteries, ran home and managed to recharge two of them then went back to the field. The last flight was cut short when it started to rain hard... or I might still be there

It’s an overused cliché here on the boards, but she flies like she’s on rails.

hand-launching:

Once you go full throttle she just wants to fly. You can’t lift or move the plane after applying full power, so have her up and your arm cocked before you push the go-stick. Then just gently toss her pointing up at about 30-degrees. She'll continue like that until you turn around or you reach the next zip-code (your call).

However, it’s not as fast as I thought (hoped) it would be. Who’s going to be the first to [successfully] drop in a bigger motor? I just ordered two motor mount spacers from eBay that have been used on the T-28 and Corsair. The spacers are made simply enough and the bolt pattern on both the stock motor mounts and the back of the motors should line up.

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140329519466&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%252014032951 9466%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D%2B140 329519466%26_naf%3D1%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1]Motor Mount Spacer[/link]

[link=http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa62/tkrahlin/RC_Plane/P-51/]Under the hood of my P-51[/link]

Old 06-29-2009, 02:47 PM
-pkh-

Bo-Jangles,

Looks like you stuffed a 3S 2100mAh pack in it. How's it fly with the bigger battery? CG still OK? Does it fit w/o any modifications?

I have 8 3S 2100mAh packs for my Strykers, so I'm hoping this Mustang will fly well with them too.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Dr_Bojangles

Bo-Jangles,

Looks like you stuffed a 3S 2100mAh pack in it. How's it fly with the bigger battery? CG still OK? Does it fit w/o any modifications?

I have 8 3S 2100mAh packs for my Strykers, so I'm hoping this Mustang will fly well with them too.

Trim out a little of the ramp aft of the battery compartment so the bigger batteries will sit lower.
[link=http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa62/tkrahlin/RC_Plane/P-51/DSC05233.jpg]Ramp Trimming[/link]

As for weight: Set your CG with the stock battery then, when using the bigger batteries, stuff a small piece of foam rubber in first. That helps to keep the extra weight of the heavier batteries back closer to the CG. Either way, it still flies sweet.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:10 PM
idigrc2

I made a few more flight with mine last night, put a 2200 zippy pack in it and had no trim changes due to the heavier battery. Half way finished with the retract install. Will post pic's later when I have it all done

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.