Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 32 of 79 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Chippedprop, what video camera was used for your video? It looks like it holds focus REALLY well, which I've noticed is a problem with ones I've used.

To everyone else, what's the best Spektrum Rx for the Stryker? I was gonna put an AR6100e in it that I have, before I realized its not full-range.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hornetnz

what's the best Spektrum Rx for the Stryker?
    AR7000
    Fly fast, get it home safe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Granted, but what about the 5000 that doesnt require the satellite Rx? Just wondering about space.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use the 500 with the long wire, but I'm not trying to go crazy with my bird either, mostly stock with only a bit stronger of an ESC.

If you are glassing at all or trying to massive speed, be safe and use the 7000.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guy, I have a question.

I want to double check something regarding DX6i. It will take a minute of your time.

If you fly with Spektrum DX6i in a Stryker please send me a PM (private message).

I need to ask the same question from 5 of you to set my mind at ease regarding the setup with DX6i. I want to go over this separately without a post on here.

So please send me a PM if you fly with DX6i transmitter in a Stryker.

The more PMs the better.....5 people or more would be best.

p.s. if you know the screen names of people who run DX6i in a Stryker send me their names and I will contact them for that quick 1 minute question.

Thank you all in advance,

Gryphon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maidened my new build today. 36 mm 1450 kv outrunner with 6S 40S 1850 mAh packs. APC 7x5 prop, drawing about 90 amps at 20 volts = 1800 Watts [X(]
    All up weight was 950 grams. I used 325 mm carbon fiber heli blades for elevons. Vertical fins were balsa. 16 g Hextroniks mg servos.

Spektrum AR6100 RX, which I think is sufficient for a small plane like the Stryker, you will loose sight of it long before it gets out of range.

I gave it a firm throw at half throttle and it took off perfectly without any adverse roll. It flew like on rails, my best flying Stryker ever. I flew several rounds at low to medium speeds and it handled really well with no tendency to roll to one side.

Then I opened up the throttle and it went ballistic, I saw the vertical fins bending in towards the propeller and should probably have taken that as hint to slow down. But it flew so straight and fast and I wanted to see how it performed. Then pointed it straight up at full throttle, it accelerated like crazy straight up and then it kind of exploded [:@]

Parts were falling to the ground at various speeds and the plane was completely uncontrollable. Plane nosed in in soft grass avoiding some large trees, and I found it fairly quick.

Turned out that both elevons had been ripped off, on one side a huge chunk of the wing broke off too. Also one of the vertical fins was lost, and the other one was badly hurt by the propeller. Elevons were taped with fibreglass tape which did not hold up at this speed. Rest of the plane was fairly unhurt, and chunk of foam from wing was found and retrieved from a tall tree. My modified stick mount held up well, and survived the crash with a 180 gram outrunner, not bad

I guess I underestimated the forces that this kind of power asserts on the wings and elevons. I should not have pulled up so abruptly and I should have slowed down when fins started bending.

Anyways, I still think the setup was a success and will definitely repair the plane. Will fiberglass my next fins, and reinforce the entire wings with tape or glass.

Before and after pictures below. I did not take the time to make two new fins, therefore one red and one black
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv65199.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	1310113   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj27768.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	1310114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kp34556.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	1310115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mf96324.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	1310116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pb35341.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	1310117  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hagar69

Maidened my new build today. 36 mm 1450 kv outrunner with 6S 40S 1850 mAh packs. APC 7x5 prop, drawing about 90 amps at 20 volts = 1800 Watts [X(]
    All up weight was 950 grams. I used 325 mm carbon fiber heli blades for elevons.
    CONGRADULATIONS on the Maiden !!!!!!!

Seriousely................you sure about the 90 amps through a 74 amp battery ?????

OK, so was the reading static or from in the air ??????

Pictures look awsome, never seen a clean rip off like that yet !!!!

Gotta use "3M Mailing and Storage" tape for the hinges !!!! (Home depot sells them in a 3 pack for like $8). On the other wing, it looks like you just ripped off the foam at the edge of the tape ?????

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Could sure use some help with my Stryker C. Cracked my stock motor mount. The holes on the replacement motor mount that take the 4 brass colored screws dont all line up with the threaded screw holes on the motor case itself, only 2 line up? Do I need to dremel out the 2 holes on the plastic mount that dont line up?

thanks,
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ended up just elongating the 2 holes a tad with a small file to accomodate the screws.

Thanks,
    Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: moparmyway

ORIGINAL: Hagar69

All up weight was 950 grams. I used 325 mm carbon fiber heli blades for elevons.
    CONGRADULATIONS on the Maiden !!!!!!!

Seriousely................you sure about the 90 amps through a 74 amp battery ?????

OK, so was the reading static or from in the air ??????

Pictures look awsome, never seen a clean rip off like that yet !!!!

Gotta use ''3M Mailing and Storage'' tape for the hinges !!!! (Home depot sells them in a 3 pack for like $8). On the other wing, it looks like you just ripped off the foam at the edge of the tape ?????
    90 amps was static readings using my Eagle Tree, the battery can take 50C for about 15 seconds. Anyways I would never fly it at full throttle for that long.
    Will fly it with Eagle Tree logger later and post data. Might also prop it down to 7x4.

The rip off was very clean, just one big piece came off. It broke along the carbon reinforcement at the bottom of the wing. The other side just pulled the tape off, so the foam is unhurt.

Will get the 3M tape, going to the US in a couple of days so should be able to stock up on some quality gear

Hagar

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kens999

I ended up just elongating the 2 holes a tad with a small file to accomodate the screws.

Thanks,
    Ken
    It could be that the two pairs of holes on the stock motor has different spacing and that rotating the motor a 1/4 turn would have made holes line up. But your solution is fine too

Hagar

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hagar69,

When the plane gets ready and in-shape for very high speed flight, you would want to look at 6.5" diameter props.

For Example:
    APC Pylon 6.5" diameter {pitch from 2.9" , 3.7" , 5.0" , 5.5" , 6.0" , 6.5"}
    6.5X6.5 and 6.5X6.0 will draw a good deal less than APC E 7X5 and should increase your level flight speed at some cost to your climbing (which you can afford).
    APC Pylon props are heavy duty and draw a little less AMPs than electric props.

APC E 7X5 draws a little bit more than APC Sport 7X7 while on ground.

Don't trust the battery manufacturer's burst ratings....you'll be sorry one day.
    Also in the cold weather, you'll probably get a cutoff immediately after launch.
    There are reasons why we run heavier battery packs….we know what the burst ratings mean….but also know enough to not trust them. There is also battery longevity and flight duration.
    Cross your fingers (and hope) that the 6.5" diameter props would be enough AMP drop as compared to your last prop.

Good luck buddy, we wish you our very best.

Gryphon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gryphon,
    Thanks for your advice, will definitely try smaller props. I want to get the Amp draw down to around 60 - 70 as my ESC is only 60A. I know I should have a higher rated ESC, but I like living on the edge

You are right about that I can afford to loose some climbing, the thing accelerated just as well going straight up as in level flight.

Heavier packs will last longer, but flying at these speeds is so thrilling that a couple of minutes is enough. Also the fairly low AUW of 950 grams made the plane float really well, I think it will be very easy to land - if I ever get to try that

Now I'll be out travelling for 3 weeks, so I will be quiet on the forum until beginning of December. But I will get back with Eagle Tree data and hopefully a video with sound for doppler calculations. Going to the US, so I can order some APC props for pickup there, where is the best online source?

Edit: Have now ordered a few 6.5" APC pylon props with pitch 5.0, 6.0 and 6.5 from Tower Hobbies.

Hagar

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hornetnz

Chippedprop, what video camera was used for your video? It looks like it holds focus REALLY well, which I've noticed is a problem with ones I've used.

The camera I use is CANNON GL2 ....but the camera quality does not matter. You need to have a camera with manual focus. I focus on and object about 100-150 yds. out using the auto focus then switch to manual...and not changing the focus ( I know my eye site is bad..so I let the camera do it for me.)

You can now follow and focus pretty close with out losing focus. I did make a mistake on the last video and shot it at a to high of frame rate...standard is 60 frames per sec. I shot it at 150 which caues it to look jumpy...lesson learned.

You can use the zoom to keep the plane in frame. If you can get one with image stabling, it will make you look even better. The camera I use has it but it does not have much range especially when zoomed way out.
    This ends camera lesson 101 for today
    Cp
    PERFORMANCE IS EVERYTHING !!!
    Everyone Can Do Something To Make A Difference !!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stubby Stryker and I went to the club field on Sunday. I clocked 18 minutes flight time with a 2200 3 cell battery. I was using a Master Airscrew 8x6...which draws 10 amps in the ground. 90 % of the flight was WOT. Did, loops..rolls..climbs to 400 feet plus. Everyday flying.
    This is great. I can't wait for summer and take this to the beach..may have to do lounge chair flying.
    Cp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so I hope I do it right. I was hoping for some help.

Could someone please let me know what is the best prop to use with the mega 16/15/3 with 4 cell 20c 2350ma and with a 3 cell 25c 2500ma 3. I have tried 6x4 and 5.5x4.5.The strykers in the videos look alot faster than mine.

I also have a500df (2650kv) motor. any help on prop selection with the same batteries would be greatly appreciated.
    If it helps I have a 80amp speed control with the mega and 50amp with the 500df.

If you need more info to help me, please let me know.
    Thanks again!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you have a link for the 500DF (2650) motor ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got the 500DF awhile back and I'm not sure from which company, but here is a website that has it:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/500-2650kv...r-x-mount.html

Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: reno21

Β*The strykers in the videos look alot faster than mine.Β*
    Β*

If you need more info to help me, please let me know.
    Thanks again!
    OK, sorry, but lets get something straight here.............OK ?
    The fast Strykers you are seeing are VERY long can 155grams and heavier running VERY large batteries on some INSANE power systems. There is NO WAY your 400 MEGA would ever be able to do what you have been seeing.

The 2650 kv df motor is a quality $30 motor. Use it well, but I am sorry to say that I dont keep track of those motors. They perform very badly and are very unreliable for repetetive uses, or getting thrown around on power levels exceeding 5 HORSE POWER !!!!

Keep the MEGA on your Stryker and hopefully you could PM me some prop test data results on your 76 gram, 2800kv MEGA. That would be the way to go in your case. That little motor has some VERY heavy brothers and sisters that live and fly around here, so she is in welcome territory flying around these here parts. ONLY QUESTION NOW IS .............Do you have a watt meter and tachometer ? (I HOPE SO)

Please PM or respond here...............your call Dude !!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

gryphon i used to have a dx6i that i flew my stryker with, now with a dx7.  But i wrote down all my settings, send me a pm and maybe i can help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Twister773,

I too have a DX7.

I had a question for guys who used DX6i in a Stryker and I asked for Private messages on that, not a post.

Please leave that subject off of this thread till I get to the bottom of what I am looking for.

Thanks for your reply, but I would have MUCH preferred discussing that in a PM as I asked.

***Post above ( #777 ) referred to PM (4) times and also (1) time it said no post.

Sorry, I had my reasons.

Gryphon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Reno21, with what you have, try whittling down to a 4.5 x5 prop, with the 4s pack. Won't get a long flight but will give you some decent speed. WARNING, it will be pushing your pack pretty hard nearly at 20C. I don't normally recommend running past 80% of the pack's capability, but for a quick burst of speed it should work. Be forewarned if you keep the hammer down, you more then likely will hurt the pack. The props you were trying were more then likely pulling more then your pack's capabilities. Even with a high speed set up, if the pack can't handle the load, your bird won't perform as intended, and you could very easily damage the pack.

Hagar, if you can't find the 3M tape, you can try this trick. Spray the area the hinge tape is going to cover with 3M's 777 contact cement. Let it tack up and lay the tape to it. It's nearly imposible to pull it back off then and should hold up a little better for ya.
    Missing Man Formation, Looking heavenward you can't help but shed a tear, mournful, lonesome, a hole that screams out at you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was just playing around, and look what the video camera picked up.

The pass at 1:40 is knifedge !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhN7OhjMag0

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Greetings,

Just pack these frames with as much stuff as you can fit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Buggygovroom

Greetings,

Just pack these frames with as much stuff as you can fit.
    Hey stranger
    Chippedprop

Page 32 of 79 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast