Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Vegatron75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Yeah I ran into the z bend problem w/ the stock servo arm hole sizes. Plus I don't have the z bend pliers, after assembling w/ the z bend I remembered I saw some solder on clevises. I think that would be the way to go. SOlder on one end and thread on the other. Although I still had to open up the control horn hole just a little to use the dubro clevis. Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:00 PM
moparmyway

HOLY ACCELERATION !!!!!!!!!!

I have been looking for the most awsome combination for lightweight and unlimited vertical.

Zero CF, NO wood, small tape job and ultra light, so lets see how we can make this thing glide, accelerate, and go vertical to be insane without the max speed.

Lets keep the speed down, so the fuse and elevons will not fatigue, or distort, say under 105-110.............95-100 would be perfect !!!

OK, so I have found it !!!

MEGA 16/25/2
3s5000 (30/60)
125 amp ESC
APC 8x4 E prop
(airframe is exact as described and pictured in post #690 above)

YOU GOTTA TRY IT !!!!!!!!!

I threw it at full throttle and the plane left my hand before I let it go !!!

Instantly, she was at about 100 mph....................seriousely, less than 2 fast blinks of my eye and she was outta there.........vertically !!!!!!!!!!!

After I got done laughing, I put my tongue back in my open mouth, and just had fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would someone with this motor (MEGA 16/25/2), go try this prop...............please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

114 amps at launch
81 amps on a straight run against the wind (20-25mph winds)
70 amps on a straight run with the wind (20-25mph winds)
59 amps in a diving (pretty steep) run................had to give ALOT of stick to keep her straight on this one !!

I think this is THE perfect setup for all out vertical, can pretty much hover untill you need a rudder, then nail it and she goes wherever she is pointed, FAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!

__________________________________________________ _______________

Gryphon,
How do you think the 16/35/1.5 would do on 3s5000 battery with APC 8x4 E prop ????????
Old 10-18-2009, 02:42 AM
Gryphon

moparmyway,

You said:
"Gryphon, How do you think the 16/35/1.5 would do on 3s5000 battery with APC 8x4 E prop ???????? "

LOL...I have no doubt that you already know the answer to that even though you have not done that exact run yet.

Well, let’s see:
Bigger motor (2 steps longer size)
Little higher KV
Little Lower resistance

results should be:....................Scary, ……….the motor mount should fly past the nose of the Stryker real quick....Your battery and ESC are up to the task...and that extra 1.5-1.6 o.z. of motor weight will be MORE THAN MADE UP FOR BY THE ADDITIONAL THRUST. [X(]

Was your initial 114A for a full battery pack?
If so, it would have also been good to have the usual static figure at 10% empty battery....but I know you were up in the air....That would have been a more reasonable (and less scary) figure.
Might consider doing a quick landing after a minute or so and then re-launching for any/all future setups/tests.

__________________________________________________ _________

Mopar, your testing of various setups has been very useful to everyone.
I can only test so much, but your help has lifted so much of the testing off of my shoulders.
You've done all of my requested tests and/or verifications and have added a bunch more of your own.
I waited 4 years to find someone like you.....hopefully you/we don't have to wait as long to find another with same desires for accurate testing on a multitude of interesting subjects.....Simple Eagle tree 150A data logger with brushless RPM sensor can go most of the way.

***Lately we have had several new/good friends with the same loggers....now let’s see if any of them show and demonstrate what we like to see.....I have high hopes for most of them.
We can help bring anyone up to speed on the little things that they need to know to be on the same page with us.
No expectations here....just happy DREAMS. [sm=tongue_smile.gif] [sm=thumbup.gif]

As an example...our combined list of props in order of increasing load (and their exceptions due to varying the power level) has been coming in very handy. It has allowed us to think outside of the box for special circumstances and to hit the nail on the head every time or be damn close so we can home in much earlier and at less cost and effort.

Thanks again for everything buddy,

(my mood: Happy)
Gryphon
Old 10-18-2009, 04:24 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

moparmyway,
#1 Thanks again for everything buddy

#2. Was your initial 114A for a full battery pack?
If so, it would have also been good to have the usual static figure at 10% empty battery....but I know you were up in the air....

#3 You said:
''Gryphon, How do you think the 16/35/1.5 would do on 3s5000 battery with APC 8x4 E prop ???????? ''

LOL...I have no doubt that you already know the answer to that even though you have not done that exact run yet.
results should be:....................Scary

#4 As an example...our combined list of props in order of increasing load (and their exceptions due to varying the power level) has been coming in very handy. It has allowed us to think outside of the box for special circumstances and to hit the nail on the head every time or be damn close so we can home in much earlier and at less cost and effort.

Mopar, your (SHOULD READ OUR) testing of various setups has been very useful to everyone.
.....hopefully you/we don't have to wait as long to find another with same desires for accurate testing on a multitude of interesting subjects.....

(my mood: Happy)
Gryphon
#1...........YER WELCOME DUDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2...........YES, that was spankin fresh charged at launch. I stalled after a quick pass, and guess what ???? Eagletree said 693mAH..............amps were 98, but they drop super fast because the plane gets to full speed in just about 1 second, so Eagletree shows the huge unloading..........I would guess 105-109 static.

#3...........Yes, I do know, but I am also sure that it would be way too fast for this purpose. As it is, I feel that the 8x4e on MEGA 16/25/2 is slightly too fast for a regular Stryker, but I suppose that I really need to fly without any winds to be sure. If there was an 8x3e, I believe that might be the tickett !! Aside from that, there is NO DOUBT that anyone who has a Phoenix 80 amp ESC with a MEGA 16/25/2 and a 3s5000 battery will have their minds blown away by the sheer power and insane acceleration this combination delivers. By the way, when I say acceleration, it is NOT in the horizontal plane, but the vertical one !!!![X(]

#4...........That prop list has done wonders for us, and has allowed us to help in a bunch of other applications !!! I say we expand it. I am stocking up on 8 inch props, and the Q40's need to be gotten. I have some debts to take care of first, then all props will be in inventory and tested.

#5...........I know I just said it my last post, but since you have given me the opportunity (once again) to be at the top of the page...........................

SOMEONE PLEASE GO FLY A MEGA 16/25/2 on an APC 8x4e prop with an ESC of at least 80 (if CC Phoenix) or better on a 3s-5000 ..................WOW
Old 10-18-2009, 05:04 AM
Gryphon

moparmyway,

Try sending Adisn a PM. His screen name is: XxOoCoBrAoOxX

His most recent Dark side post was in part 7: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_74...tm.htm#8356349

He has the same MEGA 16/25/2 2650KV motor with some C.F. stock elevons, and TP 3S-4500 25C V2 , CC80A ESC, ...even Castle link for custom settings.
His battery should be fine due to the unloading of the prop.

Good pilot, and a nice guy/good friend.

Tell him hi for me.....and that he is in the dog house for not posting on your part 8 yet....LOL

Gryphon
Old 10-18-2009, 08:14 AM
murdnunoc

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

As an example...our combined list of props in order of increasing load (and their exceptions due to varying the power level) has been coming in very handy. It has allowed us to think outside of the box for special circumstances and to hit the nail on the head every time or be damn close so we can home in much earlier and at less cost and effort.

Gryphon
Hey, Gryphon or Mopar,

Do you have a finalized list that you'd be williing to post? All I've seen was the quiz version that you posted earlier, and Idon't think the "answer key" made it up...

Like you mentioned, the exceptions at different power levels will bring some variation intothe list, but it would be extremely helpful as reference for all who are looking at a medley of props laying on their bench, wondering where the one they're thinking about will fall in the range.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:37 AM
moparmyway

That list should be kept as prized data. Gryphon is correct, we need more Dudes who are willing to test and see whats really going on.

In flight and ground test show some very interesting differences and similarities, others will have to step up to the plate here and test with a data recorder
Old 10-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Gryphon

The list is a good deal longer than that...I have tested a bunch more props and also 8" sport and E props.

You will be amazed at how some of the Sport 8" props with less pitch will draw less than 7" sport props.

And also a different brand 7X8 will draw same as Q40 series( 7.4" diameter C.F. props)!!!!!

You guys are lucky that Mopar posted that partial list.....there are times that I will not share my most prized data with just anyone....I really do want to see some others be contributing members with the testing.

Hope everyone has had a great weekend.

Gryphon
Old 10-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Twister773

Once i get mine built i will definitely contribute to testing,  Ill have the eagle tree 150a logger, etc etc and get a bunch of different props.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:06 PM
XxOoCoBrAoOxX

YO YO YO!!! GRYPHON!! What is going on!! I believe I have come out the dog house and feel like im ready to get back in it because of the cold weather lol. I think I will get a run to the lhs to get me that apc 8x4 prop to do some lethal sky high take offs.

THANKS!!

GRYPHON IS A GREAT GUY/FRIEND EVERYONE!! lol
Old 10-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Gryphon

XxOoCoBrAoOxX,

I know your local hobby store is not that close to you, so call them first to make sure that they have the props in stock. Get them to order it if needed...no rush.

I suggest that you buy both APC Sport 8X4 and APC E 8X4. Cold winter weather ahead.

There has been a bunch of new motors coming out from MEGA since we used to talk...I'll tell you all about them next time we talk.
Take a look at this thread's first page...post #21...look at that big daddy MEGA.

Have fun buddy,

Gryphon
Old 10-19-2009, 12:35 PM
chippedprop

Testing a new motor
Here's what I have so far......

Upgraded to a new mount for the flat deck as you can see in the pics. screws/bolts on. Alum. material. Will accept inrunner 28 mm and outrunner.
Flew the plane on 4 cells. Turning APC CF prop 4.74x4.50. ESC E-Flite 60 amp .....72 mhz FM rx.

Speed is well over 115 mph easy.
I do not have amp readings ...but I do have a meter on the way...Gryphon is most likely passed out on the floor.....I have NEVER owned a amp/watt meter.
I did get temp reading on landing.
Air temp Sunday 52 degs
Motor temp 70
Battery temp 118.....Zippy 30-40 c rated 2650ma 4 cell

Performance
1-Screaming loud...which I like...sounds like mopars in the videos...3200kv Outrunner
2-Climb rate is unlimited
3-Ran the whole flight WOT
4-Current plane design performed GREAT....I did a slow roll coming out of a dive 30ft over the runway...in control no flutter...rock solid
5-Loops as big as you can make them....still WOT
6-Motor shaft stock is 4mm
7-Total weight 32 ozs ready the throw
I'm very impressed with this set up. I have never flown my Stryker with this much power and speed

Remember this is a 40 dollar motor. The quality is unreal. I had microDAN look at it and he was impressed.
Conclusion
I think I may have another motor for "THE LIST"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69877.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1298074   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43928.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1298075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35472.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1298076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56134.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1298077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs95842.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1298078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja41693.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	1298079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi85770.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1298080  
Old 10-19-2009, 03:08 PM
XxOoCoBrAoOxX

Thanks Gryphon! I will make sure to call up the LHS this week and get that part in.

I am still debating weather or not I should sell my whole plane and just build the new big daddy off the wall plane! lol I also want to put my money towards a b-52...

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2009, 06:23 PM
ShoGinn

Wow so i went through tons of threads and im sure this has been posted before I just can't find the exact info im looking for.

I am at 6000ft above sea level and just got my stryker today and it flys great, im pullin just over 25 amps on stock setup on a 3s (2100 hyperion)

I am not looking to have this thing break any records, I enjoy it just like it is and just want to optimize it with the correct prop.

This stock motor I could not find any specs on "safe operating amps"

Should I just get an APC 6x4E prop and call it good? or change it up to a different size.

Thanks guys in advance!

Here is a somewhat long video and im sure you've seen plenty of stock ones

I almost lost it on the launch still perfecting it

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk5Gfecr-xg[/youtube]
Old 10-19-2009, 06:58 PM
arcticflyer

YEEEEHAAAAA....maiden flight tonight for the second in the Dragon series. HAIRYYYYYYYY first 3 minutes till I got it trimmed out...I hate maiden flights[:@]
I will never fly another heavy without balsa elevons.... WOW what a difference they made.[8D] I had to land and detune with lots of expo and moved the control rod out some. The balsa elevons responsiveness was outstanding and the turns at speed (once it was trimmed) were rock solid with no nose dropping. I wish I had done that mod on my first heavy.

Tomorrow I will make some flights with two batteries instead of one and begin pushing the envelope with my new stock of props.....tons of pylon props and combat in the 6.5 range and 7x4 through 7x7 in the APC sport range. I also have a speed measuring device now so I will be able to get some speeds as soon as I mount the tubes in the new nose.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:30 PM
moparmyway

ShoGinn,
Try this for the limits for your stock F27c motor.
Motor is actually a 2200kv with 0.065 ohms across 2 poles
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880705

__________________________________________________ ___________

Arctic,
NICE news !!!!
I love to wrestle with a hairy Stryker on my maidens, it sharpens the skills and lets you know how much carp yer pants can hold !!!!
Congrats Dude !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now, lets get that Stryker running faster !!!!!!!!!!!!

__________________________________________________ _______________

Chipped,
Dont ya love the screams of a high kv on 4s ????
That build looks fast just sitting there !!!!
Can you video it so we can all hear, and I will doppler it for ya [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 10-19-2009, 08:49 PM
ShoGinn

Sounds like I can max it out and put it at 30amp and i should be safe.

i'll try the 6x4e and whatever else has a little more pitch.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:03 PM
moparmyway

An APC E 6x5.5 has been run pretty well on 3s. You will make that motor happy if you can get a heatsink on that little guy
Old 10-20-2009, 04:24 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

hi,

I would like to know what's the prefered Spektrum Rx?

I'm getting the Stryker C version with the servos but without the radio. Will be using the Dx6i

I don't want to cut into the wing for the AR6000's satellite so that would leave the AR5000... anyone using those with success?
Any other good alternatives?

thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 09:59 AM
ShoGinn

Im just using an AR6110, I have been running them for quite a while with no problems on alot of planes. the AR500 would be a great option though.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Gryphon

vasek,

No need to cut into the wing for satellite receivers.

See my pics in part 6 thread, post # 205 (use link below)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60..._9/key_/tm.htm

You can see that I installed my satellite receiver into the side wall of my battery bay, and put a piece of packing tape over it for added insurance. Tape was used over its 6" cable as well.

Have fun,

Gryphon
Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 AM
ProVluvR

Ok guys I know this isn't a Stryker, but I've been keeping up with your builds over here for a month or so now. One of the flyers at our Unclub brought out an EPP wing he's been flying for a couple years now Saturday. It was fast enough that I had one of the other guys shot a pass with his IPhone posted the video on youtube, and loaded the link into the 100+ thread on wattflyer. Here are the results. 133.62 mph I believe.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...=26852&page=47
Check Larry3215 post #1157 for screenshot of waveOSscope output. I thought it wasn't to bad for a 48" wing with 7.5 oz.s of lead in the nose and 2 3s packs. I'll get some more specs from Scott when I can.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:25 PM
moparmyway

ProVluvR,
No need for more specs.............this is a Stryker thread.
We have Strykers going MUCH faster than that, and our Strykers look AND fly better, thanks though !!!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 PM
arcticflyer

Mopar- Three more good solid flights tonight as the trims are perfect now....decided to still fly relatively light and only used one 2250 40C-50C battery for each run (only made four or five passes then put it down) anyway was making about 8 second WOT runs with an APC 7X5 sport. I noticed that each time I put the hammer down from about 2/3 throttle the plane would pitch down. I flew through it each time but it is a little unnnnnnerving....[X(] What needs to be changed to make that go away....nose position or motor thrust line? I'll get some video of the next flights for Doppler.

AHHHHH... the sweet sound of thousands of RPMs.......[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] Ain't nothin like it!!!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:16 PM
moparmyway

Front of the motor needs to come down, just tighten the FRONT 4 screws, but especially the front 2 closest to the motor. I do NOT use the stock screws, they do NOT hold enough pressure on the mount for "extreme speeds". I have gravitated to #6 Stainless sheet metal screws, not self threading, but the ones with a point and phillips round head for the tops. These screws will allow you to absolutely crush all foam (if necessary) to really dial in your thrust line to your liking.

Nose position is just for when you are building, I couldnt adjust mine even if I wanted to unless I cut the whole thing off and trim then re-glue

Again, I wouldn't try raising the rear, that foam is already crushed, just crush some foam under the FRONT 4 screws !!

Good Luck !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.