Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Spektrum Dx6i + Super Cub

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 03:03 PM
tomdiebomb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum Dx6i + Super Cub

HI,

I am thinking of upgrading to 4-channel flight already, after a week of constant flying on my cub. I have spent a great deal of time landing, and feel very confident flying it. I even took her up for three flights today with heavy winds. That was an adventure, but I didn't crash once, and sometimes had to fight for control of the plane, but landed her every time successfully. Flying in the wind is fun!

Anway, I am going to purchase the Spektrum DX6i tomorrow and in a couple weeks, the Trojan T-28D (woot!)

The question is, in order to get used to where the throttle is (I am going mode 2) can I use this controller with my current Super Cub if I pop a receiver in it? It would seem to ease the transition if I could get used to the gas/rudder on the left stick, and the elevator on the right stick, and then just get used to ailerons later?

Thanks in advance for info!
Tom
Old 07-06-2009, 07:17 PM
cjg

Default RE: Spektrum Dx6i + Super Cub

You would need a receiver, new servos (not standard), and I believe perhaps an ESC to switch to the DX6i.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:18 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah, the Super Cub has proprietary 27MHz electronics. It's got an all in one ESC & Receiver, with the servo electronics on-board as well. The servos used with it are four wire servos which aren't standard (they just have the motor and position potentiometer inside, no electronics).

I would not recommend putting the rudder of a 3 channel plane on the left stick. You always want your primary turning control on the right stick with the elevator. You will use the rudder on a four channel plane quite differently than you will on a three channel plane. In fact, you can fly a four channel plane quite will without even touching the rudder on the left stick. When you get more experience, you will learn to use the rudder on a four channel plane for coordinated turns, knife edges, snap-rolls, cross wind landings, etc.

When you first start with a four channel plane, concentrate on flying it with ailerons and elevator first. After you get comfortable with that, then try to add in some rudder to your turns, try some knife edges, etc.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:23 PM
tomdiebomb

Thanks for the information fellas! The cub is not worth upgrading for me at the moment, when I add new servos, I may as well go full brushless and add ailerons too hehe. And nice tip about turning with the ailerons at first!