Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

backyard slow flyer

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:29 AM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backyard slow flyer

What would you guys recommend as a electric back yard flyer (area is about 150 yds long x 50yds wide)? I would want a 3 channel minimum, or 4 channel would be ok as well, must have good slow flight characteristics , I plan on letting my nieces and nephews buddy box on it to give them a taste of RC flying.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Sir Raleigh

Default RE: backyard slow flyer

That's a pretty small area and 150 yds long x 50 yds wide equates to 450 ft x 150 ft where the recommended area is 200 yds sq (600 ft x 600 ft).

You also didn't say what borders the area, woods, fields, etc.

However, 2 planes come to mind right off: Super Cub & Slow Stick, but I'm sure there are others.

There are also some smaller planes such as the Mini Super Cub or some others with 12" to 15" wing span that are RTF. These are usually considered as being in the "indoor" category, but if flown outside require zero wind conditions.

Bill
Old 07-13-2009, 03:25 PM
canadianmaple09

I agree with Sir Raleigh, that size of flying field is really no good. In order to take-off (or hand launch) and land you will need a space much larger than that for most planes. If you can find somewhere to fly that is double that size it will really open up your options a lot more for what you can fly. Also, not many planes in the smaller categories are 4 channels, so finding a bigger area would be better for that as well.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

I disagree,
I have an Exceed Piper Cub plane and it flies in a field as small as a baseball diamond as well as using some of the outfield. No problems. Here is me flying it in a small baseball diamond at a local elementary school.
http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Exceed-Piper-Cub-2-wmv

PS it is a very cheap plane
Old 07-13-2009, 03:57 PM
tness

I, too, fly my HobbyZone SuperCub on a baseball field with no problems, hand launch only. There are a few caveats though: 1. calm day, no wind 2. no one else around to cause harm to, 3. I have not soloed on my nitro planes, but I do have about 3 years of flying on RealFlight flight simulator and can handle the cub fairly well. If you're an experienced pilot, not a problem, but letting an inexperienced pilot fly at area that small.....I would say iffy at best. Depends also on the fly-over area. If no trees or other obstructions, might work, but letting inexperienced pilots fly in that small of an area, I'd err on the side of caution. I do fly my ParkZone Cessna 210 Centurion in my back yard, probably that small, but the wind must absolutely be 0 to fly that, and that hardly ever happens.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Wheelnut

You are right about experience.
I fly my Cessna 210 in the court yard in front of our town home in up to 3 mph winds with no problem.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something like a GWS Estarter would fly well in that space.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:47 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Flying in a small area requires that you are not only able to fly the plane smoothly, but to confine the erratic nature of the learner's flying to a small area without losing control. 150x450 is really small for a first time pilot, and you will hardly be able to orient them before one dimension of the area will be covered - at even 10 mph it would only take 20 seconds to cover 300 feet at which point a 180 degree turn is needed as your other dimension is 150 feet. A hard way to learn, but easy once you can throw the plane around at will.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Wheelnut

Cool, I'm starting to feel like a pretty good pilot
Old 07-13-2009, 07:29 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

lejongleur, and I are in agreement on learning. The 210 would be fine as would an Ember2 or a vapor.

Stikman, my landing area is smaleer than that but I have open skies and no houses for over 1/4 mile east and continuing pretty much for 180* to end up west of my flight area. Several of these fellows know what I am goint to suggest, try out a Lightflite Bug. You will need to go to go to a large field to figure it out, but once you do it will dawdle along at indoor speeds, or get up and go quite effectively. I have mine a touch over powered and can go straight up, but I can still float along slowly.

Learn at the large field, then bring it home.

Tim
Old 07-13-2009, 09:53 PM
F4U Corsair

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I do have experience flying glow airplanes at our club field. I've flow a PZ T28 at my house in that area, it's not easy but I've done it. That aircraft is quite a bit faster than what I'm looking for with my young family members. I do have the ability to take the airplane up higher above the barn and trees which will expand the flying area to double the size. I will definately need to be the one to take off and land it as it will take some precision and skill unless it flys very stable and slow. I'm thinking the Vapors and such will never work outside as we hardly ever have a no wind day. How is the Slow Stick, will it really fly slow and still be stable? Will it require a change in motor to a BL outrunner & ESC or does the stock setup work well?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:08 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

StikDude, at least look at a Bug. It will fly under most issues and will do stunts as well
Old 07-14-2009, 06:33 AM
F4U Corsair

I've never heard of this model, I will check out the "bug" Thanks DG
Old 07-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Wheelnut

The BUG is a great idea. Here is another one. How about the PZ Mini Cub? Flies great in small areas, and is slow and docile for a first timer, like the young ones in your family. And has only 3 channels to think about.
http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc-planes-h...er-cub-rtf.htm
Old 07-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: StikDude

How is the Slow Stick, will it really fly slow and still be stable? Will it require a change in motor to a BL outrunner & ESC or does the stock setup work well?
It's what I learned on and didn't crash it until I learned how to fly.

It's a great trainer as long as there is no wind. Flies fine stock. The lighter it is, the slower you can fly it.

If you nose it in, you may bend a shaft or break a prop unless you use a prop saver.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

Tim, as soon as I saw this thread's title I knew you'd suggest the Bug

And I'd have to agree. I regularly fly my Pizza Box flyer in a 60'x60' intersection with little difficulty. It's a great slow flyer and very similar to the Bug. It'll literally fly itself for a full pack if I trim it to go in a gentle circle about 100' in diameter. I have indeed tried it. Also, I can launch it off an upturned 5-gallon pail from a standing start, so that's not much of an issue. It can be built for less than $15, too, and it's a very simple design.

A Slow or Pico Stick might work as well, although those don't have the PBF's (or maybe the Bug's) ability to pull straight up out of trouble no matter where it's pointed.

A third option is to just design and build your own flat foamie. They're shockingly easy to build and they mostly meet your requirements if done right.

Just look for light wing loading, durability, and a prop saver...... Good luck.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Swoose
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: StikDude

What would you guys recommend as a electric back yard flyer (area is about 150 yds long x 50yds wide)? I would want a 3 channel minimum, or 4 channel would be ok as well, must have good slow flight characteristics , I plan on letting my nieces and nephews buddy box on it to give them a taste of RC flying.

Either one of these two planes can fly in the size of area you have to fly in.

The first is the Capricorn: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898958

The second is the Snowball: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=930241

Check out the videos in those threads of both of those planes. Both can be scratch built from blue foam or you can also get a kit from Lee (the guy that started both threads). The EPP foam Kits of both planes are great fliers and as you can see from the videos they can fly in an area the size of a baseball diamond comfortably, they can be flown indoors, you can add lights to them and fly them at night. They are a really versatile, yet still very acrobatic and can be set up for any flying skills.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Wheelnut

I like the snow ball much better.
The Capricorn looks like a spaceship out of a horrible 60s space movie.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:22 PM
calvino

Never forget the Nutball http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=nutball I have made a HEAVY one, were talking about the 1 lb range easy ([X(]) and i could fly it in our BACKYARD (usable area was about 30x40' ) without issues. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm6yysSZK4g I show just how well it can fly in a tight area. It is like a pizza box flier in the sense that it is pretty capable of pulling out from a few different positions. If i was going to run into something, feed in up elevator, correct rudder and step on the gas to pull that puppy around fast . Good times indeed. plus it doesn't require any fancy mixing that higher up radio's have. Beaver is right on the PBF/Bug, those can be flown indoors if your good enough, if your new, just turn down the throws and get used to how it handles > turn up the throws and let loose [8D]