Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Looking for not so slow Park Flyer

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Looking for not so slow Park Flyer

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 10:31 PM
Rookie Rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for not so slow Park Flyer

I am a total rookie. I have read the excellent advise posted here and see that the Slow Stick is the overwhelming recommendation. That said, I live in So Cal about 3 miles from the coast, where there is almost always a light wind. This seems to be a challenge for the Slow Stick.
I have read a little about the GWS Beaver and it sounds like it has a little more performance (loops from level flight, a little faster speed, ect) and is better in slight wind.
Now, I understand I am a rookie and dont need to be flying a tricked out, fast, acrobatic machine. But I would like a plane that will not only fly stable at slow speeds but one that will have some power when I am ready for it. Any thing out sound like the machine I am looking for?
Old 06-24-2003, 11:02 PM
mpj220

No longer support RCU
Old 06-25-2003, 04:09 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Tiny X?
Old 06-25-2003, 12:29 PM
stuk_at_work
My Feedback: (111)

Great Planes Escapade. But build it with the (optional) wing braces!

I've also heard good things about the Hitec/Funtec "Sky Scooter", but have not personally flown it. It looks like it should do better in a breeze than the Escapade.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:15 PM
Mr Dipthong

Rob, I also live near the beach (Huntington Beach) and I fly the SS. I found that any plane with a light wing loading, and thats what allows a beginner to fly it, will have trouble with much wind. However, I fly my SS with standard radio gear and a 7cell 900mah which brings flying weight to about 20oz. This provides a very steady flyer in winds to about 8 to 10mph. It flys great and I get 10 to 12min. flights. The SS is still your best bet if you are teaching yourself to fly. Best idea is to fly early mornings and late afternoons. At 7 or 8 a.m. the wind is almost non existant. Trust me, you don't want any wind when you are learning no matter what plane you get.

Good luck.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:16 PM
cwat212

The slow Stick handles light wind just fine. 5-10 mph.

Also, it will loop, fly inverted, take off from grass, etc. It is also fast enough to get away from a beginner.

It is only around $35 so you can learn with it and move up later. Learn with this plane and move up to a plane with ailerons later.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:46 PM
sierra gold

And when you've mastered the SS and it seems a little slow... for $20 you can get a GWS EPS 400 motor/GB and add 2 cells to your 8 cell battery pack(10) and fly a little faster.

Of course brushless is faster, but more $$$.

If you have a serious encounter with Mother Earth along the way... a whole box of spare parts is $35(kit).

I always keep a Slow Stick in my hanger. It's a fun, relaxing plane.

Sierra Gold
Old 06-25-2003, 04:09 PM
Rookie Rob

Thanks all! I really like the idea of being able to improve the performance of the SS with the 400 motor. I will take all the good advise and go with it. Sounds like the 7cell 900mah with standard radio gear is the ticket.
Any suggestions as to which set of servos to use?
Old 06-25-2003, 04:32 PM
sierra gold

With all electrics "weight is the enemy." However, the SS will take some extra weight more gracefully then many planes.

Use whatever servos you have available from micro to standard. If purchasing new servos, smaller will be more useable in future electric projects than standard size.

If you need to purchase an ESC, buy more amp capacity than you currently need. It will be useable in upgraded motors/planes and the cost difference to get higher capacity isn't that great.

Sierra Gold
Old 06-25-2003, 11:07 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lets recoup here,, by SS do you mean slow stick or sky scooter,, I would go with the sky scooter,, I have had 2 stick (fd not slow) and it will hover in 5 mph winds and thats about all it will do, it will NOT fly inverted and you have to dive to get a loop on a fresh battery pak,, the last one snapped a wing at 200 feet (10 mph wind) and ended up a pile of foam,, it was fun while it lasted and I am into glow planes now so I dont have a park flyer at the moment but if I get another one its going to be the sky scooter...the crazy max is NOT a park flyer and the mini max isnt put together as well as the GWS line,, the Beaver or E starter would probably be good planes too......just my .02..Rog
Old 06-25-2003, 11:52 PM
sierra gold

By SS I was referring to the GWS Slow Stick (the stick FD is small compared to the Slow Stick - wing span 46")

The key to success with the Slow Stick is increasing the wing loading a bit with useful components such as the battery pack.

If one follows the hints on beefing up the SS in numerous threads, it will safely loop with most park flyers.

Sierra Gold
Old 06-26-2003, 01:27 PM
cwat212

The GWS Slow Stick WILL loop and WILL fly inverted.

It is a fine plane and very suitable for beginners.

This plane assembles very easily and quickly. It is easy to repair and best of all it is inexpensive. All things that are a plus for a beginner.