Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

whats good for electric beginer?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

whats good for electric beginer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 01:58 AM
300lakota
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats good for electric beginer?

whats good for electric beginer? i have flown glow planes sport and scale but never an electric park flyer. i am limited to my not so big yard now. preferably the cheaper the better. rtf is a plus as well. any suggestions would be welcome. thanks.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:30 AM
midnitedew

Default Re: whats good for electric beginer?

Originally posted by 300lakota
whats good for electric beginer? i have flown glow planes sport and scale but never an electric park flyer. i am limited to my not so big yard now. preferably the cheaper the better. rtf is a plus as well. any suggestions would be welcome. thanks.
if size is of concern i would suggest the slow stick... its about $35
and flight pack is about $80 or so... if you have a radio you could use it on this just get a crystal... this plane will loop and fly slow doesnt realyl roll... if you want ailerons people have suggested the GWS E-Starter, if you just want 3 channels either get the GWS Slow Stick, or get the Beaver
check ebay and look at the seller tlrascal he usually has great prices...
Old 06-27-2003, 02:21 AM
300lakota
Banned

the slow stick sound like what im after. i will check out that user. thanks for the input.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:44 AM
Mike Taylor
My Feedback: (1)

If you are already a flier, you will get bored with the SS pretty quick. Check out the Tiny-X from Todd's Models (http://www.toddsmodels.com/). It is a balsa kit, but it is SO fast and easy to build that Todd should sell it as an ARF. AUW is around 5 or 6 ounces. At this weight, it is really quite durable - I would have to fly it into a tree to break it...

I fly one with the equivilent motor/prop from a LiteStick (The Watage model the SS was copied from). I fly mine with two 1020 mah LiPolys, and it will almost hover. If I cut back the run time and used a 2 x 560 LiPoly pack, it probably would hover. There are lots of threads on this model in the forums at rcgroups.com

BTW, this one DOES roll...
Old 06-27-2003, 12:59 PM
sierra gold

To avoid confusion here... The GWS Slow Stick has the aluminum fuse and the 46" wing with the 12" chord. In the US it comes with an EPS 300 motor.

Not to be confused with the various "stick" planes of smaller size and EPS 100 motors.

Maybe it's just me that is confused.

Sierra Gold
Old 06-27-2003, 01:42 PM
Mike Taylor

Sierra,

You're correct; mine has the IPS type drive. I don't have any GWS planes, and have never seen one up close. My bad... But it still flies like a dream.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:47 PM
sierra gold

I have read nothing but good things about Todd's Tiny X.

Sierra Gold
Old 06-27-2003, 02:06 PM
Mike Taylor

The only bad thing about it is that the hawk-like planform really upsets the quail and doves, and really upsets the nesting mocking birds. The mocking birds want to challenge it for rights to the local airspace, and they REALLY don't like the fact that it can turn on a dime and challenge them right back!

I'm thinking of pulling the h-55s out and replacing them with 5 or 6 gram servos and adding rudder to it... Others have upped the ante by adding an AF 010. I may go that route as well as soon as I built a CF adapter to mount the motor, but it flies so nice as it sits that it is not a high priority.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:36 PM
sierra gold

Default Tiny X

Mike -

My RC background was all RES glider in the late 70s and the 80s. I didn't fly for about 12 years... used to fly with TOSS in Thousand Oaks. Just after the first of the year I bought a Pico Stick and then a Slow Stick. Beginning to get the thumbs back as well as can be expected for age 60.

What's your thoughts on a Tiny X for someone with my experience... no aileron experience?

Thanks
Old 06-27-2003, 03:26 PM
Mike Taylor

Sierra,

I'm just over the hill from TOSS. Small world, eh?

I think you would do OK with the Tiny. I had not flown R/C for twice as long as you were gone from it (most of my R/C flying was on a Kraft KP-2B), and the Tiny finally got my thumbs into ailerons. This is the first aileron plane that I have managed to keep out of the trees here at the ranch. I have been struggling with ailerons on the RFFS micros I like so much, but the Tiny finally got me up to speed.

Its a great building and flying kit. Someone described the building as 'Drip some CA into the box, and shake it out ready to cover'. It IS almost that easy! I built mine in three sittings, and covered it in a couple of hours. Covering it took almost as long as all the rest of the build.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:49 PM
sierra gold

Default Additional thread drift

I think I'll add the Tiny X to my "planes to do list" and try to get in some aileron training. I have an AF 010 with GWS GB in my Slow Stick as of just a couple of days ago.

I lived in Moorpark until 1992 and then moved up here to near Auburn. Closest glider club was in Davis and that's over an hours drive from here, so I just dropped out of RC for 12 years.

I used to have a friend that flew with the Condors in your area. He went to slimers when he left gliders.

Nice chatting with you.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:24 PM
Mike Taylor

Sierra,

We have some friends in Auburn. I'll pack a glider and a few other machine in the car next time we head up that way. Maybe we can hook up...

Mike
Old 06-27-2003, 07:04 PM
300lakota
Banned

a lot of good info here. i think i will go with the gws slow stick as it suites my needs perfectly. from what i have read it is s good performer. thanks guys.