Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone NEW Messerschmitt Bf-109G PNP and BNF

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone NEW Messerschmitt Bf-109G PNP and BNF

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 02:50 PM
mad web tv scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone NEW Messerschmitt Bf-109G PNP and BNF

Joe, thanks for the information. You also answered the question about battery size for the big birds - 4 cell. Your comment about the 1800 battery that I thought was your PZ 109 battery had me wondering. By the way, it seems like my E-Flite 25 is more efficient than smaller motors. Is this just my imagination or are the larger motors actually more efficient than our PF motors?

I love my belly landing machines, but there is a price to pay with the stock 109 even over nice grass fields. Fortunately, the cost is minimal. After several "reasonably smooth belly landings" small nicks on the tips of the prop developed. Using a diamond hone for a few minutes on all three prop tips has them looking as good as new.

The wing was a little loose in its saddle. By pressing on the top of the fuselage with one hand and applying sufficient pressure on the handle of a convenient size Phillips screwdriver, only about 3/4 of a turn with the screwdriver was needed to tighten the wing back down comfortably.

The carbon fiber reinforced/hobby shop music wire "fangs" on the front corners of the bottom air scoop have eliminated any belly landing damage to the scoop. Now that this 109 has such a powerful motor the 20 mm wing mounted cannons should probably stay on the wings to help minimize belly landing stress induced damage. Being aerobatics oriented I have a "thing" about extra weight and drag, but with all the extra power available with the big 25 I must now arm up my new killer Messerschmitt.

Due to its structure and size, I suspect that the new Wildcat could end up being the quintessential belly lander. Regardless, my carbon fiber reinforced war weary PZ 51 will continue to fly the most hazardous missions with the F4F flying backup. My pristine condition PZ 51 will only be flown when I get good enough to not break it. As slow a learner as I am that could be a while.

By the way, where is that Wildcat that we are breathlessly anticipating? I can't wait to wring one out!

OFF WE GO INTO THE WILD BLUE YONDER!

madwebtvscientist [sm=cry_smile.gif] [sm=lol.gif] ____________________________________________ Modeling Promoting Bog: http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...g&memid=266748 Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:43 PM
motor12

Can't get enough of the 109. i flew 8 batteries this morning and had a great time, even had a couple of real good landings. I fly off pavement and its hard on the prop and is grinding the foam off my wheels. Loops,rolls and stall turns come easy now, found i had to use high rate for my throws to get the 109 to go where i want it to.The problem with Parkzone airplanes is one is never enough, kind of like tatoos.......
Old 07-19-2010, 02:41 PM
mad web tv scientist

ORIGINAL: motor12

Can't get enough of the 109. i flew 8 batteries this morning and had a great time, even had a couple of real good landings. I fly off pavement and its hard on the prop and is grinding the foam off my wheels. Loops,rolls and stall turns come easy now, found i had to use high rate for my throws to get the 109 to go where i want it to.The problem with Parkzone airplanes is one is never enough, kind of like tatoos.......
ACHTUNG Oberst motor! If an opportunity ever opens up for a "JUST FLY" poster boy candidate I would like to request the honor of getting your permission to submit your name as a sure fire winner for the honor. It's astonishing to see such progress with an airplane like the PZ 109. Thanks for all of your posts!

In the beginning of my Messerschmitt career on asphalt ground looping was a constant problem. The ship never left the ground. Like you my tires were also worn down - they have been replaced. I only fly off grass now with about as much modification of the gear as is practical with stock parts.

Next time I fly in turbulent weather no flaps will be deployed until good landings can be made without them. My extra area/deflection angle flaps are just too effective to be fun in turbulent windy conditions - plane is way too slow under such conditions.

My aileron solution on the flapped/gear ship is to drill another hole in the aileron horn below the bottom hole next to the aileron. Using the outside hole on the servo arm then provides good aileron roll
performance on low rate.

You are right on target about PZ fighters in my case for sure.

madwebtvscientist [sm=cry_smile.gif] [sm=lol.gif] ____________________________________________ Modeling Promoting Bog: http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...g&memid=266748 Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:26 PM
MAX HEADSPEED

Can't get enough of the 109.....The problem with Parkzone airplanes is one is never enough, kind of like tatoos.......
You can say that again...and again.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77692.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1470366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19409.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1470367  
Old 07-19-2010, 06:38 PM
motor12

WOW, MAX.....Thats what i'm talkin about.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:42 PM
mad web tv scientist

Max, nice collection. Just after enjoying your and motor's enthusiasm, you would never guess what happened. Yes, my hobby shop called and, assuming tomorrow's fighter sweep sorties end with mission accomplished, I will be celebrating my very first victories with my very own brand new WILDCAT!!

Rolling in on target, over and out.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:55 PM
MAX HEADSPEED

I lost one of my CAP FLIGHTS this morning. My F4u went in HEAVY due to an in-flight catastrophic structural failure which caused the starboard side wing to collapse inducing an immediate death spiral from 300ft. It happened towards the end of it's 2nd flight of the morning and it's 99th sortie since it's delivery on 13SEP2008.

I'm still waiting for HH to get a motor to me for my 109! Uggggh!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:33 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TAPS....

Old 07-23-2010, 01:27 PM
glazier808

Got in a couple of flights today with "Yellow 3"...thats my wife and baby girl Bella.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96057.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1472304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50524.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1472305  
Old 07-23-2010, 01:46 PM
glazier808

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCzAl1NH5-0

a short video shot by my wife

so many dragonfly's messed with the focus ....sorry
Old 07-23-2010, 01:59 PM
glazier808

and one of my P-51

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itIM5aSxqcQ
Old 07-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Cabbage

Hey all, had my first "wheels" take off and landing today two of them! first was uneventful take off followed by a tail up landing, nice and slow though so no damage done. Second take off almost had the nose plant into the floor but luckily it was going fast enough to not pitch too steeply. Second landing again was a nose to ground affair but no damage done.

Annoyingly I fitted my new rudder servo today (my other one randomnly stopped functioning during first flight) and again I killed the servo in one flight. This one now sits there screaming away, I'm hoping it's just a broken gear set. Is it possible I'm using too much rudder travel? I had it set to 100%?
Old 07-24-2010, 01:25 PM
motor12

I love to see the 109s in flight. Glazier 808 yours looks great. The landing had lots of speed, i thought i saw flaps on your 109 did you have them deployed, just wondering. I have been putting lots of time on my 109 and it looks likeit.This week i was flying off an old road with a curb and just nicked the gear causing a cart wheel on take off and damaged the left wing. No problem just some CA, wait a bit and good to go.I was going to replace damaged parts so it will look new but i kinda like the well used look now.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:37 PM
motor12

Cabbage i run myrudder servo at 80% (high and low settings)and the travel adjust for all servos is 100%have not had any problems. I did check the amount of movement to make sure nothing was rubbing out side the tail and also in side the fuselage. Good luck, lets us know what you find out....
Old 07-24-2010, 02:08 PM
glazier808

I love to see the 109s in flight. Glazier 808 yours looks great. The landing had lots of speed, i thought i saw flaps on your 109 did you have them deployed, just wondering. I have been putting lots of time on my 109 and it looks like it. This week i was flying off an old road with a curb and just nicked the gear causing a cart wheel on take off and damaged the left wing. No problem just some CA, wait a bit and good to go.I was going to replace damaged parts so it will look new but i kinda like the well used look now.

lol ya, I have to say that in my haste , I remembered about 2 min into the flight that the last time I put it up, the wing felt abit loose and could use a good turn to tighten. Second and worse was my decision to take off with a 10-15mph 90 degree cross wind. Then to worsen things abit, as I came around my first time I was trying to tell if the wind was changing???? Yep 90 degrees, now a good 45 degree from the other direction(notice the sharp push durring the takeoff roll to the right)and my landing the opposite way...yes flaps down but I usually dive into it abit and flair out, but that day was not one to be looking pretty in lol. I was happy to have just stuck it on the mains and kept the thing on the ground hehe.

thanks for watching. I've since replaced my lost ordinace and will have bombs for my next sortie!

Casey
Old 07-24-2010, 09:26 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Casey, that takeoff was beutiful and scale. Me109's took off from open fields, the pilots were not concerned with streight rog's, just getting in the air. streight rog was an american paradigm.

Joe
Old 07-28-2010, 01:12 AM
mad web tv scientist

Cabbage, welcome to the Luftwaffe and congratulations on your success. There is a lot of fun stuff going on with Messerschmitts on this thread. It will be interesting to learn what the story is on your servo when you find out. So far, I have never had a PZ servo go bad on me. Early in my fighter plane career I had heard about servos going bad and causing crashes so for a little safety redundancy all of my machines have been completed with two servos each operating its own independent elevator side until I bought my latest fighter. It is being flown in virtually dead stock condition - so far so good. Every time I notice that one lone elevator servo pushrod a little whiff of danger does tend to be experienced.

Casey, nice pictures. Looking forward to being able to see your movies in the not too distant future. I am hoping to purchase a new technology web tv system supposedly available this fall that will play all the neat movies that my current system won't play.

motor, I enjoy reading about your continuing adventures. Can't resist telling new modeling prospects about your unique exploits. My current strategy is to fly the P-51 and the F4F in demo flights with the recommendation that the 109 be a second fighter, something that you continue to prove wouldn't apply at all in your case.

My Messerschmitts are very special and I find myself needing to mostly fly the lighter, smaller machines for practice and modeling promoting purposes.

Joe, please expand on the "American paradigm" vs. the Luftwaffe, thanks.

Is this a great hobby or what!

Old 07-28-2010, 08:59 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mad, we as americans so often loose sight of the fact that planes (real man carrying ones) do not need airports to take off. in WWI they used a big open field and the only control on rotory engines was on/off so the standard takeoff role was curved to the left. in WWII the luftwaffe forward bases were fields (not roads) that would allow pilots to very from streight ROG. there is nothing to prove this left curve ROG, but it is a reasonable assumption given the history and the Me 109 gear setup.

Joe
Old 07-28-2010, 09:08 AM
motor12

I hate being a left winger.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:19 PM
mad web tv scientist

Joe, thanks for the fascinating information. Although I have five (5) landing gear equipped fighters, my belly landers will get most of the action for the foreseeable future. They are sooooo much more practical for use under the conditions and objectives I have with airplanes.

motor, as inspirational as your skills are with airplanes the halo effect alone will inevitably carry you to certain victory!

FLY, FIGHT, AND WIN!

Old 08-01-2010, 02:20 PM
motor12

Well today was the day, my 109 spun in from about 150 feet and was destroyed.All i could do was watch. The right wing had been damaged in an earlier mishap so it was guled back together and flew fine i, had many flights on the repair. Today on my second flight i was turning to base, a nice tight low G turn when the right wing broke 9 inches in from the tip and folded. The 109 went into a spin and lawn darted, foam everywhere, tacoed the battery, destroyed my borrowed motor, broke the prop and got the ESC. I loved this bird, guess i will get another 109, at least i was able to save all servos and the tail was in tact, and i can put the flaps in the new bird.I saved the wing to glue together and hang on the wall, this was my first plane....
Old 08-01-2010, 05:42 PM
MAX HEADSPEED

I feel your pain brother as well as a vast majority of our fellow RC pilots I'm sure. It's tougher when the cause is beyond any possible control except for cutting the throttle and observing for accurate position of impact area to facilitate a swift recovery of anything worth salvaging for future use. It still sux prunes but it's better than going home with nothing but the memories and a transmitter.
Earlier on this page you'll notice my mentioning the lost of my Corsair in a similar situation.
I destroyed my HL Alpha P51D Mustang yesterday while on it's 2nd flight of the morning but that was my fault but still it blows chunks. I'm just glad I had a bag to put it in. It wasn't a very large bag either, but I was able to salvage it's 'goodies' though.
I find comfort by gaining a proper perspective from my memories of the final act in the Monty Python movie 'The Life of Brian' when they sang that little ditty 'Always Look On The Bright Side of Life'.
You can probably find it on You Tube if you're unfamiliar with it. You'll feel much better when you do.
I did have two great flights with my 109 yesterday morning though despite feeling anxiously nervous since I haven't flown it since the end of May because the 2nd stock motor failed. I've only flown it 5 times this season and it only has less than 20 flights on it since last September even with the two flights yesterday. It felt like a maiden flight but worse. I was a guest at a very nice flying club and there were allot of 'eyes' on that HUN BUCKET of mine. Talk about pressure.
Well once I successfully tossed it in the air and it gained altitude I was able to breath normally again. I started to settle down and make a few passes and feeling it out. It looked great! After a couple of low straight and level passes I was smilin' large for sure. Now it's time to bring it in.
As I was coming in for a belly landing then something came off my plane as it passed by me about chest high. The item landed about 20 feet in front of me but I was still busy bringing my bird down. Well it got down. It was a longer landing than I wanted but it was a good one.
Well the spinner and prop nut came off but the prop stayed on the motor. I was freewheeling on the adapter as I carried it back to the pits. The prop would have come of if I had pointed the nose down though. Talk about luck! That's why I ain't too upset about the loss of my Mustang latter on that morning soon after the 2nd, and not eventful, flight of my 109.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:33 AM
mad web tv scientist

BATTLE DAMAGE TODAY

motor and Max, your recent losses were not in vain. Your reporting provides priceless information that can help others avoid similar tragedies as well as inspiration to hold a steady course come what may. It was shocking to learn about both of you suffering catastrophic loss but you did force me to rethink the structure of my E-Flite 25 powered 109, so I ended up making some reassuring carbon fiber reinforced additions to the fuselage near the trailing edge of the wing.

The ship made about four and a half (4.5) landings today. I made multiple launch and landings using three batteries. Yes, a soccer goal got in the way on an otherwise great landing. Since the plane was caught in the net with very little damage I credited it with making half a landing.

The 109 with its new "split ailerons" was tested first using the big 6.6 ounce 2200mAh 30c 3 cell LiPo and then a dandy little 4 ounce 30c 3 cell LiPo, as well as a follow up 1400mAh 28c battery. The day was finished up flying my delightful new little PZ Wildcat.

The 109's new "split aileron" system using 1/16 inch thick balsa sheet on the bottom of each aileron is opened with about a 1/2 inch gap on both ailerons. This provides enough drag to make belly landings noticeably easier. Both the 109 and the P-51 with their new drag systems are at least as easy to land accurately now as the F4F.

FLY, FIGHT, AND WIN!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:47 AM
mad web tv scientist

Flashes from the 109F modified Messerschmitt's gleaming guns on the wings helped make them impressively more visible on its latest sorties in bright sunlight. New pictures on page 8 and 9 of CALL TO GLORY http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...ORY/page8.html show the shinny new aluminum barrels used on my latest 20 mm wing mounted cannons that are actually camouflaged skids that work very well.

The pictures show how the CG is maintained by simply moving the battery and the 40 amp ESC back with no ballast required. The "split ailerons" were inspired by the very nice landing behavior of the new Wildcat compliments of its high drag characteristics. The powerful E-Flite .25 fits nicely on the stock motor mount and sticks out only 1/8 inch more than stock. Simply drilling cowl mount holes 3/32 inch ahead of the stock holes makes it possible to enjoy a virtually dead stock look but with about a 2-1 thrust to weight ratio and no mechanical motor concerns. This beefed up bird is really exciting and flies great.

FLY, FIGHT, AND WIN!

Old 08-06-2010, 09:35 AM
motor12

That looks cool and provides more for the 109 to skid on when belly landing. i also like the split ailerons. I think i may buy the fuselage kit and put some up graded parts, i miss my 109. If i make it a belly lander i am not putting flaps in this timethey seem to get caught in the grass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.