Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Parkzone NEW Messerschmitt Bf-109G PNP and BNF

I have 12 flights on mine now all off the LG. maiden was in 20+mph and it flew fine! I’ve noticed a new battery flys it very nicely but as the flights start to add up on the battery it looses that hot top end. I had to replace the bat after flight 11.

Any one do the underhanded launch yet?

Does flying w/o the LG make it any faster? Does landing w/o LG cause any problems with the three bladed prop.? Anyone tried a 4s0p yet?

Joe
    If it doesn't fly it wount cetch my eye.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: zzz12

Can you help my Messerschmitt bf-1o9g will not loop keeps rolling out at the top of the loop to the right. wing looks ok [&o]
    Check your elevator, one side may be a smidge off.

Also, thanks to glazier808 and mad web tv scientist for the suggestions about balancing the prop.

I stopped by one of my LHS today to pick up a new weighted nut and more props and happened to have my 109 in the car. I brought it in, fired it up, and right off the bat the clerk told me it was my battery. I said "Okay, but all of my batteries?".

He asked me when I bought them, and I told him about a year ago, about the same time frame for all 6 of my LiPo's.

He hooked up one of his new ones and the plane performed flawlessly! Just for giggles he hooked up his Wattmeter and showed me that my LiPo's were pulling only 9.6 volts after a full charge!

I bought a new Hyperion 3 cell 11.1volt 22mah 35c and the 109 SCREAMED!

So, it all boiled down to my LiPo's finally biting the dust after a year plus of use. Still gonna use them in my Cub till the last!

Thanks all!
    Will D. 11H/11B CSC Scania, Iraq 2005-2007
    www.youtube.com/wandcduncan
    www.williamduncan.weebly.com
    HZSCx2,T-28,FW190,BF109

zzz, I just finished double checking the elevator deflection angles on both a landing gear/flap equipped 109 and a significantly lighter 109 set up without gear or flaps. Both use plus/minus 12 degrees deflection angles and provide great looping capability. Please check your deflection angles. Be sure your CG is not too far forward.

Sounds like you might have a heavier right wing. Please check your lateral CG by balancing with two fingers on the fore and aft center line of the plane and add enough weight to the light wing tip for only a very slightly greater weight on the right wing panel.

The real problem might be a weak battery.

ORIGINAL: paladin

I have 12 flights on mine now all off the LG. maiden was in 20+mph and it flew fine! I’ve noticed a new battery flies it very nicely but as the flights start to add up on the battery it looses that hot top end. I had to replace the bat after flight 11.

Any one do the underhanded launch yet?

Does flying w/o the LG make it any faster? Does landing w/o LG cause any problems with the three bladed prop.? Anyone tried a 4s0p yet?

Joe
    Joe, you have a great flying airplane there. 20 MPH wind, you are either very brave, very talented, very lucky, or all three! Since you didn't crash like some of the rest of us not so bright pilots have done under similar circumstances, the other not so flattering possibiity will not be mentioned.

The most up to date care and feeding of LiPos tells us to not run them clear down on every flight in order to prolong LiPo life. Also keep them "storage charged" at between 40 - 70 percent when not in use.
    My carefully treated LiPos seem to be holding up very well and some of them are over a year old.

I'm sure landing gear keeps the top speed down having flown both ways. but I haven't noticed much difference since my objectives have been maneuvering as well as take off and landings.

I had a little concern in the beginning about the three bladed prop and belly landings myself - no problems!

There is a report about underhanded
    launching on the Spitfire tread several months ago, if memory serves me correctly. Check out taran's posts. Might have been on the Corsair thread. I would be afraid to try it.

4s yipes! Some fool :<) will surely try them. I love the stock power to weight ratio for my purposes. I plan to keep a two blade prop system handy just in case my heavier gear/flap ship needs a little help to perform as well as the stock no gear plane.

Please send me some of your prettier weather!

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]
    [sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How does this compare to the new PZ P51 and the PZ Corsair? Which would you say is more enjoyable to fly with less hassle? I'm about ready to go to DSM2 transmitter and pick up one of these models.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have flown mine almost everyday for a week.

The machine is very easy to fly and ground handling on a short grass field is excellent.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

mad, i flew 1/12 combat for years. it taught me how to handle wind and how to fly a fighters and mine will not do a MPN (Max. Performance Turn, Break) without slowing enough to force a bailout right after 90 degrees. Loops look more like Cub loops (cursive e), less i dive into it. the me109 was noted for its excess of energy, a common maneuver being MPT watching the offensive attacker in a mirror (seeing him in the mirror was more important than out turning the opponent). as soon as the attacker exposed his belly push the stick away as hard as you can. when the attacker exposes his belly he is pulling lead to make his shot and his target is hidden by the nose. the me109 then used its fuel injection to bunt out from under the nose of the attacker.

to recreate this maneuver the model should over rotate 120 degrees or so then start a MPT. at some point push the E to start the bunt, if you don't have enough energy the plain will snap out or drop the nose while inverted.

another maneuver is the out of plane barrel role, this me109 is just short of the power to do these correctly/safely.

Again having done 1/12 combat I’ve done the underhanded launch my concern is landing it at full tilt, will the prop survive? I don't think this will survive the catapult. so i think i may be the first to try a 4s0p pack.

Joe

Denver, I would recommend the P-51 first and then go for either the F4U or the Bf-109. You must eventually own all three! They are all fabulous planes. I can not imagine life without them in my air force. The 109 seems to be the smoothest one of the three to fly once it is trimmed up nicely. I especially enjoy the lighter flapless/landing gearless version.

I have added almost 70 percent more flap area to the flapped/landing gear equipped Messerschmitt by simply installing balsa flaps to the bottom of the wing "radiators" with simple 1/2" wide packing tape and painting them gray. Because of the hinging situation I used a slot on the new balsa flaps and wires projecting from the stock flaps to activate the "radiator" mounted flaps.

More after I find out if they work. I hope the slower speed will make landings easier.
    The suspense of the unknown is exciting to contemplate. I will eventually master landing a Messerschmitt or else!

Joe, very impressive, no wonder you were able maiden in 20 MPH winds! You have brought up some interesting phenomena about model vs. full scale that seems to fit well with Wingco's souped up work with Spitfires as reported on the big Spitfire thread. It's gong to take time to compose some coherent thoughts about this and possible other related stuff, so I will get back to you later on it.

Belly landing at full tilt? Reminds me of my P-51 landing just recently on a plowed field. As the ship was coming in faster than I realized, I flared at about half a foot off the ground and was tickled at how it kept on flying at that altitude for several feet while hitting the higher shoots of grass with its wind milling prop. I don't recommend landing at full tilt, especially if you use those killer 4s and probably higher weight. You could and probably will prove me wrong since I do tend to be a bit overly cautious. I'm actually only a pretend fighter pilot.

Hotel, I invented a slick way to balance the prop nut. Grease is used to protect the small bolts threads from significant damage while drilling a necessary hole through the nut. I found that by using a little super lube grease on a 3/32" bit on the area that contacts the top threads of the nut for the small bolt that holds the front of the spinner on and keeping the point of the drill bit dry that it is very practical to drill through the small space between the two different threaded areas. Cut a 3/32" rod and taper both ends to a fairly small rounded point, cut a small piece of tubing material like the ones that are used on the clevises found on our fighter plane control surfaces to serve as a space filler to keep the 3/32" rod centered in the large threaded portion of the nut. My Messerschmitts now enjoy perfectly balanced prop systems.

By grinding almost a quarter of an ounce off the prop nut for my light fake retracted tail wheel equipped 109 the CG is now almost identical to the stock version equipped fighter with a real tail wheel. The "retracted gear" non flapped 109 is a full quarter of a pound lighter than the "full house" version. I plan to always own at least one flying model of each version. It's like owning two different planes with perfect back up equipment for each version.

BEWARE OF BECOMING ADDICTED TO THE HUN IN THE SUN!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hahaha,

mad web tv scientist, thats how I came in last with my p-51 lol. Dove in over some trees and carried way to much energy into the dive, flared out hard and clipped a groove though the grass for a good 30 to 40 yards with the prop lol. Had to fly it into the grass, to stop in that !! lol....always fun! I'm right there with ya about these PZ warbirds. Great plane for your money. One that you have to fly to believe....

I'll try to get my paintjob finished up this weekend and post the finished new look!

Good flying all!

Casey
    Fliteskin, Sierra, Nelson Hobby, MICKO aircraft, Getstencils, Holman Plans, VicRC, Castle Creations, Addicted to Luft, BestPilots.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

oh yeah mad, hows's about some shots of the retract 109 you've got going! I've been considering this myself and would love to see your approach to the gear.

Casey
    Fliteskin, Sierra, Nelson Hobby, MICKO aircraft, Getstencils, Holman Plans, VicRC, Castle Creations, Addicted to Luft, BestPilots.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mad, heres a pic of one of my combat planes on the catapult. it is now electric, and its sister ship is powered by a os max .26 fs.

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mj24295.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	1309775  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got alittle more done.

Made the squadron and rank ensignia's on the computer again...same thing, scaled up, used packing tape, cut and glued. Also put on the upper wing crosses. Used PZ's for these. Just need to finish the chin now.

BTW paladin, what kit is that FW? nice!

Casey

Name:	Rp44430.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	1311084   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg17390.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	1311085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uk77463.jpg 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	1311086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ag37977.jpg 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	1311087  

Casey and Joe, thank you for your posts! I am looking forward to seeing more neat pictures and learning about more about your adventures. The weather has me socked in now but every now and then I should be able to slip in a little flying here and there.

I will try to get some testing done and if it is successful I will post pictures and text on the last page of my "CALL TO GLORY" web site. I haven't yet figured out how to put pictures from my web tv systems on RCU. Besides, this way I can streathfully expose my militant agenda against the forces of evil and hasten the victory over tyranny!

". . . GIVE 'EM THE GUN!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

THEY WORK PERFECTLY! The pictures we discussed are now on the web with a little extra detail that I found useful. I'll try to get some text up next week.

That's 19 gage soft steel wire used for the flap hardware. The flap system is really simple and effective. The landings were really neat with that full flaps head on view as she slowly and predictably settled in at low throttle making one of the best landings ever. The wet grass required chopping the throttle and applying full up elevator at the instant of touch down for that last memorable landing.

The Messerschmitts are perfect for this critical point in history to provoke thought and help develop an accurate view of history among the masses that could and I believe ultimately will help bring about positive cultural progress.

Enjoy.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well on Wednesday the model nosed in hard on a landing, the runway is heaving abit so one has to land in the center and I landed to close to me. After the nose in the motor made a clicking noise, it still put out good power but clicked. I tore it down and nothing was broken but with the spinner, back plate, prop and hub off the motor still made the clicking noise. I grabbed the can, while still in the plane and tried to move it and it seamed to go away. I figured I had picked up some dirt and I knocked it out.

Friday it started fine and 7 minutes into the flight the motor stopped. After landing it smelled like burnt electronics and the prop was locked up. When the engine was removed I realized that the plastic part of the can, the top (plastic), was solid but the bottom (aluminum), was moving just by hand. not much but enough to make it turn real hard.

I’ve replaced it with a tower pro 2915-5T I had on the shelf and will give it a try tomorrow.

I had a few flights on the new battery before the motor burned up and the power was much better than with the original battery, moot point now.

Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That FW D-9 of Joes looks like an Alfa Models to me, just a guess.
    They are the most beautifully finished little warbirds I've ever seen, and those I've had flew super.
    Sadly, spare parts for them is a charlie foxtrot beyond belief.
    Joe, that 109 is just done beautifully.
    My 109 is a real missle with that Turnigy set-up Karl sells on E-Bay.The only hassle I've had with it is while flying it made a 'pop" and quit. What happened is the little circlip that holds the motor together disappeared (!), which should be fun to try and find a replacement for.
    The CG wound up being best for me at 2" from the LE at the fuse/wing joint as suggested by a really helpful guy here on the site .Doug

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Doug, the D-9 is a RS Combat (made in the chek republic) for a while they were imported by Waverly models. It was a great kit, fiberglass fuse sheeted foam wings. Mine is covered with silk span and dope. With a slightly modified 25 it would do 134mph with a 36in ws, brings new meaning to the words buz bomb. The one I converted to electric flyies at about the same speed as the me 109

Fomies don’t do well on the catapult!

I flew my tower pro 2915-5T, 36amp speed control and 3s0p battery me 109 today with some of the other guys that have me109’s and for the first time in 18 flights I was able to perform = to theirs.

Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The LVC will pulsate the motor and make it sound quite bad, mine did this at first. My lipo's were not getting a full enough charge, I use Thunderpower 2250 mah 25 C Extreme packs and they need to be 12.40 - 12.47 off the charge to work correctly with this esc. I was first putting them in at around 12.25 volts and that LVC would kick in and pulsate the motor. Do a slow charge on your batts around .7 amps for a couple hrs, or try a new pack, that 15 size outrunner motor needs a high discharge rate pack to make adequate power. You should be getting around 260-275 amps out of the motor when running correctly at full throttle. Also you may have a bad motor, that's what I thought at first then I checked the batts. This plane will not fly on marginal batteries. Hape that helped

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fomies don’t do well on the catapult!
    Bet they don't
    That D-9 is sure *****in'. There's so much cool stuff we never see !
    I like lots of power too. There's always the throttle, but I want to be able to do giant loops and ultra fast low-level fly-bys.
    "Scale like" is SO often used to describe SLOW. In motorcycles it's often described as "torquey".
    "Scale like" in warbirds is fast as heck, a full sized one at 150 feet and 400MPH isn't slow.
    For a visual of "scale like", look at this and turn the speakers up . Way up. Don't mind the hair standing up on the back of your neck :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9mEv5Ve54
    Doug

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The streamer was only able to withstand 80mph. Any faster and it would remove its self so the throttle stick would only get the plane to 80 then I would have to hit a wired in spring loaded switch when I had some one behind me and the D-9 would walk away. Just like GM1 boost!

The video I’ve viewed many times for the building of my CMP Me 109, specifically the placement of the spoiler on landing. I love the slip (me 109 patented end of turn tail loop) on landing and all the bouncing.

Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought the Turnigy 3536-1100 from E-Bay that comes with a nice mount that drops right in, a 40amp ESC and was initially very impressed. Everything fit, I got it really fast(though the speed control did arrive with the Deans female end connector installed...imagine the carnage with a bunch of Lipos with male ends laying about .
    Well, after maybe an hour the thing goes "POP" while flying about 2/3rds throttle , the prop started jerking about so I put it at idle and dead sticked. (I thought the gliding was excellent).
    It turns out the circlip on the back of the motor had come off (I couldn't find it). I don't know if it came off due to some catastrophe in the engine causing it or what.
    As nice as the seller was I can't imagine being blown off through 2 each texts, voice mails and e-mails, only because he was so great to deal with, I hope he's okay.
    I'll post the results. Doug
    Update : After 6 days and 6 messages...no response. Bummer.

FREEBIRD, I wonder how big an ESC would have to be to handle 260-275 amps? Just kidding, we know you really meant watts (I hope) :>).

Casey, in case the next url does not work to bring up the below "cut and pasted" 109 and a little P-51 text as sometimes happens with certain web sites, it is produced here. Please don't hesitate to ask if there are any questions.

(Page 7 of web site text - bottom of Page 6 features 109 retracted and extended full flap pictures.)
    Since these particular radiator flaps are made of soft 1/16 inch thick balsa, carbon fiber "tow" material is used on the under side for reinforcement. The hinges are simple 1/2 inch wide clear packing tape and soft "hardware store" 19 gage wire is used for the "slot" flap control connections with bend adjustable lengths of wire operating the "radiator flaps" such that when retracted the flaps rest comfortably on the radiators without either being too tight or with excessive slop. I really hate what control flutter can do to an otherwise great flying plane. The flaps and hinges are then given some gray paint so they look like they belong on the plane.

To be as safe as possible I flew up to a safe altitude, slowed to just above stall speed and then flipped the flap switch. If there had been a problem the plane was high enough so that I should have been able to recover. Fortunately, only a noticeable shudder and a little more sensitivity to roll control is all I could detect - in addition to a whole lot of excess adrenalin!
    By first spiraling down gradually down wind and then setting up for landings, it seems very easy to touch down very close for very controllable and neat to watch landings with all that flap area hanging down. Just to test the system I also performed a "full flap" take off that worked perfectly. Normally, I will use this flap system only for landings.

Also included here but not very clearly is the magnetic balancer systems that makes it possible to make the prop, spinner, and even the prop nut virtually perfectly balanced. It is very practical to remove material from the heavy areas of the items being balanced without touching anything outside of the spinner area. Both the stock P-51 prop and the stock 109 prop leaning against the balancer were balanced this way.

I had to drill through the prop nut with a 3/32 inch drill and make a 3/32 inch rod from music wire in order to balance the prop nut. Very slippery high film strength grease was applied to the drill bit on the area contacting the small threaded part of the nut which worked very well to protect the threads during the drilling process. The large threaded end of the nut uses silicone tubing like what we use on our control clevises to help keep the rod centered in the nut during the balancing process.

The light P-51 spinner doesn't seem to need to be balanced. The spinner from an earlier PZ P-51 will work with the GUNFIGHTER. I found it useful to glue a washer directly over the smaller hole and simply use a sharp little blade to cut out the extra spinner material for a perfect fit on the larger shaft of the new ship. I also found it useful to "tack glue" the front spinner cap using a little CA glue. I really hate it when that cap flies off during flight.

22 gauge wire is used to keep the wheel covers straight. The clear tape is used to help keep the covers on in the event of "rough" treatment. I am still experimenting with precise wheel locations for optimum landing performance.
    CALL TO GLORY!
    http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...ORY/page7.html

Enjoy.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

quick post of my finished project...not too bad.

more later...gotta fly.

Casey

Name:	Zx70342.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	1317103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy78535.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	1317104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec89341.jpg 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	1317105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg17383.jpg 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	1317106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf10159.jpg 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	1317107  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj27952.jpg 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	1317108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75400.jpg 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	1317109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cx74521.jpg 
ID:	1317110  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

quick post of my finished project...not too bad
    Ha ! Yours and jismails desert scheme 109 are both just beautiful, you guys are very humble because those are both masterpieces.
    I'd love to know what kind of paint you guys used, and in particular where'd that "duck egg" blue or whatever it's called come from ?
    Super jobs. Doug

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Doug47

quick post of my finished project...not too bad
    Ha ! Yours and jismails desert scheme 109 are both just beautiful, you guys are very humble because those are both masterpieces.
    I'd love to know what kind of paint you guys used, and in particular where'd that ''duck egg'' blue or whatever it's called come from ?
    Super jobs. Doug
    Doug,

thanks for your kind words. I used Design Masters paint from local craft store. I think its meant for flowers, but worked great, and they have a good selection at any large craft store. The yellow was Tamiya. Both would have covered better on a bare frame, but worked well. They seem to have given my plane a nice tough outer skin, so we'll see how it holds up.

I put on the last of the decals I made, and blackened the cannon in the spinner with a marker. The guys at the field sure liked it, and it flew well with no change in characteristics due to the added weight of the paint. In my haste to run off to the field, I failed to grab my camera, so sorry no flight pics for now.

some more info on the plane and pilot of this plane found here.

http://www.jg54greenhearts.com/Schillin.htm

Casey

Name:	Hf98954.jpg 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	1317405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq51768.jpg 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	1317406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge96088.jpg 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	1317407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bx74044.jpg 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	1317408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay74088.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	1317409  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs57071.jpg 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	1317410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qv54752.jpg 
ID:	1317411  

Casey, dittos on what Doug said! I not only blackened the 30mm cannon barrels on my gaggle of 109s but I also created lethal looking bore holes in the 13mm machine guns as well, compliments of the inspiration of your work this morning. Please keep it up, even if not much is said, all of these pictures are priceless and can be enjoyed over and over again like any good art gallery/museum.

Doug, my web tv won't do youtube. Please tell me what I missed, thanks.

How did you measure the speed of that 134 MPH plane? I guesstimate that 25-40 MPH is what my machines are doing. Even then they can get away from me if I am not careful. I'll bet you have really good eyes, right?

KEEP ON HAVING FUN AT ALL COSTS!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast