Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone NEW Messerschmitt Bf-109G PNP and BNF

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone NEW Messerschmitt Bf-109G PNP and BNF

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 01:39 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Parkzone NEW Messerschmitt Bf-109G PNP and BNF

ORIGINAL: Doug47

getting the Replacement Airframe.
Though I'm not really a fan usually of stock motors ,electronics and radios, looking at all you get for the money, especially so when it comes with absolutely everything that isn't electronic makes me very much so a fan of the value these PZ/E-Flite, etc. models give us.
Heck, the Mustang gives you the whole thing for 79 bucks !
Sure, they arent beautifully built and finished ''GOLD EDITION'' warbirds, but they are a blast to fly, rugged as heck, convenient, look pretty decent on the ground and awesome in the air....I like the direction the hobbies going.
Sure, it's very rewarding to put together a complex kit or even a scratch-built aircraft, and those butterflies getting ready to fly a model for the first time you have hundreds of hours in is indescribable, as is the reward when it all works out great.
As is the smothering desponency when it doesn't.[&o] Doug

I would have to agree with you! I have two small kids. My daughter is 2 and my son is just 4 months, so I'm very limited as to the time I can spend doing anything, and as much as I like building. I love flying more! So I picked up the PZ 109, and the 51 and I'm having a blast flying!

Casey
Old 11-28-2009, 01:42 AM
mad web tv scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone think the motor from the Apprentice would work in the ME109?
The manual makes some kind of direct reference to it, and here's where I run out of electric knowledge.[]
They mention it will drop right in, but it has higher kv (? don't really get that yet )and likes higher rpm , so the three bladed prop may not work too well ,the stock one working fine with it of course having lower kv. One of you electric guys can spell this out for us maybe ?
The Apprentice motor is stronger though, and they do offer (I bought one) a two bladed spinner for the 109. Doug

Doug, when I get ready to experiment with props other than the stock prop the first thing I will do is check the current draw of the stock prop to be used as a reference for maximum allowable current for any possible different prop. For example if I decide to try one of my 12" inch props with a two bladed spinner I will observe the current draw as the throttle is advanced. So long as the maximum current draw is the same or less than the stock prop I know it will not cause any problems.

The final test of an otherwise "safe prop" will be to see if the thrust to weight ratio is noticeably better than 1-1. A larger diameter, lower pitch prop should be capable of generating significantly greater thrust than the stock prop if more vertical performance is desirable. At the moment I am not sure that I will ever need anything different from the stock prop for sea level operations.

Always check with manufactures recommendations for correct prop size and get at least one to use as your test prop by which every other possibly desirable prop can be compared. No matter what motor you use these concepts should serve you well.

There are some really neat meters discussed on the Corsair thread but because of my circumstances I ended up simply buying a simple auto Ammeter at a parts store, added deans plugs to it and enjoy very adequate service with it by simply putting it in series with the airplane battery and the plane plug. kv indicates rpm per volt. As you have indicated higher kv means you must use a lower load or higher rpm prop - less pitch, less diameter for example.

Hope this helps. Please keep questioning if it doesn't.

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif]
[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:29 AM
Doug47
My Feedback: (24)

Outstanding, thats exactly the way to present it to me for it to register ! Doug
Old 11-28-2009, 05:50 AM
Doug47

We
David :
"We"
I thought I'd take the oppurtunity to let you know that I think what your organization (we) has done for the hobby is wonderful.
You folks have set the standard as far as I'm concerned.
Your obvious efforts at performance,innovation,quality, and the critical availabilty of product support and spare parts is very impressive.
Not to mention any names but okay, Hobby Lobby for example. 3 different warbirds, 3 major hassles with spare parts on current models, phone calls and e-mails ignored and returned only after weeks of waiting, pretty pathetic really.
My favorite is they always end with, drone like as if they'd just finished a seminar requiring lobotomization "Can I do anything else for you today?" while I think "yes, how about doing something"[:@]
Your company though ? Always a pleasant, helpful and knowledgeable voice on the other end, no canned catch phrases, cliches or other BS.
Way to go. You've been getting a lot o fmy money lately and I don't see that changing.
And get us an updated Spitfire that looksand performs like one ! Doug
Old 11-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Dr_Bojangles

What I did was buy what they have listed as "replacement airframe"...
I have a couple of questions about the ME109 Replacement Airframe:

I’ve never had an RTF or BNF to go by, so I'm just trying to get an idea what else I may need to order ( besides the Swastika decals! ).

Anyone have any photos with the cowl off? Is this bird gear driven? If so, is the gear set included in the replacement airframe?

I’ll be using a BL15 from an Apprentice, so I’ll need to stick with a 2-blade prop. Which prop and spinner is included with the Replacement Airframe?

I’ve downloaded the manual and I’ve seen a video inside the fuselage and it doesn’t look a lot different than the Gunfighter.

I have the motor, 30-amp E-Flite ESC, AR500 RX, 4-servos and cables (no flaps just yet).

I have a wattmeter and some 11 and 12-inch 2-blade props ‘in stock’, so I can work my way up to the amperage limit of the motor and ESC.

Thanks!
Tim
Old 11-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Doug47

Major Decals has Swasticas , the ones they have for 1/12 scale are about right for the little rudder the 109 has, they come in a set with a couple general markings and 4 (not 6 , and really not the correct ones for the top of the wings in any variant the Luftwaffe used) Iron Crosses.The Swasticas though look right.
Which prop and spinner is included with the Replacement Airframe?
Like I said,if current doesn't run through it Tim it's in the box.It's the stock 3 blade and it's spinnner...and current doesn't run through those two It even has the flap pushrods and control horns, already even with nice z-bends.
The plastic frewall has extensions at the rear of the bolt hole openings for more "bite". That plastic is tough, and I wound up using 2-56 allen head bolts to self thread the holes.
You'll be all smiles for a hundred bucks.
There is no gear drive, you have I think about all you need. Doug
Old 11-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Oregon Craig

Thanks David. I have been dealing with a "D. Allen" via email. Finally on Friday evening I think she finally explained it (too late) so I could actually understand it. See, at the end of October, my promo code expired so I emailed to ask what I should do since these were on backorder. She said to call and place a backorder anytime 8 AM-7 PM M-F and give them my promo code. Well, the website said these were due in early December so I thought I would order it yesterday which should have been in plenty of time, cuz they aren't even in stock yet, right? No. Now she tells me that she only meant I could call that day only and now the December shipment is already all gone so that's why it now says January. So I gave up and tried to backorder one for January, which is obviously after Christmas. Now she will not honor the promo code or answer my question which is will I get one in January if I backorder it now or are those all gone already as well? Thanks for explaining it clearly but also too late. I appreciate that. I won't be ordering anything now but at least you clearly explained your IT deficiencies, which if she would have been able to do on November 1, I'd have one now here wrapped for Christmas. Sounds like you need to call a meeting with those CS people and explain how the system works. I sure didn't know, but I don't work there so...

Have a great rest of the holiday weekend!

ORIGINAL: David Eichstedt

ORIGINAL: N7OR

The Horizon website has listed the PNP version as out of stock from the very beginning. Every month, they just move the date out one more month. Now that December is arriving, of course now they claim they will arrive in January. January is after Christmas, and it will just change to February anyway. Not the BNF, the PNP version. Wife was going to make it my Christmas gift, and I had a coupon for Horizon that expired while they kept moving the date out further and further. I would have loved to have one. [&o][&o]
You need to jump in line and put one on backorder. We shipped quite a few in September, then quite a few more in October, but we've been out all this month. I honestly don't know when we're going to get our next shipment in, but at the current ordering pace, we might have all of the next ones sold before they arrive. That's likely the issue. Our IT system isn't smart enough to total up backorders and compare that number against the next incoming order or two so it can give you a good ''open stock'' date. All it does is post a date based upon when the next shipment should arrive. If that shipment is all spoken for, they'll come in one day and out the next, and the availability date on the web will simply jump from the previous arrival date to the anticipated arrival date of the next shipment.

Your best bet is to get one on backorder either directly with Horizon or through a hobby shop or other dealer.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:46 AM
mad web tv scientist

]

Outstanding, that's exactly the way to present it to me for it to register ! Doug
zzz
[ Thanks Doug, you more than make up for a less than kind remark about my information made by a much less charitable toy airplane enthusiast than yourself. Fortunately, for modeling and the betterment of mankind there are more of you than there is of him. Hopefully, he will eventually become more charitable and happy. History is on the side of those who are moving above and beyond any individual or even any group of individuals. There is room for everybody with positive attitudes. Progress is unstoppable!

I agree completely with Casey. I believe PZ has the perfect balance for success. In my case especially, the people in modeling are far more important than any combustible, perishing physical stuff. For example, I hated the time I had to take away from interaction with aviation fans while building ARF planes that take me as much as a week or more to complete in order to meet my requirements. I had to have those planes in order to do justice to my particular aviation presentation purposes. The break from writing actually may have been wholesomely refreshing not only for me but also for others who could use some R&R from the continual warfare.

I believe modeling is on the right side of history and that modelers are in a position to make positive differences in the world. I am especially encouraged when I see enthusiasm such as yours and would do anything I could to keep it going and even helping it to infect others effectively.

Why should modeling pleasures be only for a few?

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:28 AM
Doug47

I would love to keep the stock 3 bladed prop, but, now I know this sounds like madness, I'm going to install my Hacker B40 12S with gearbox in the 109. Don't try to stop me or I'll jump !
I'm still waiting on my Watt meter from HK, plus have much to learn about what I'm looking at anyway.
Okay, electric wizards : Here's the specs on the motor-

B40 12S w/4.4:1 gearbox
Kv (rpm/V) 3550
Max Power (W) 550W
Max Amp (15sec) 40A
Max Efficiency 87%
Io (No load A) 1.47A
Rm (Resistance)0.213Ohm
Shaft Diameter 4mm
Gearbox 4.4:1
I'm going to use 3s 3000 mah ThunderPower V2 batteries.
Where would you guys start, prop wise ? Would this be way too much motor for the stock 3 blade ?
I'll post a report...or a post mortem on the flight test.
My buddy and I always have flown way overpowered 40-60 sized glow powered warbirds, its what we like, so we're familiar with what parts to re-inforce, etc.
Low level wide open high speed passes are a favorite, so are loops so big that at the apogee you can barely see the plane.
All that aside the whole flight involves plenty of low-mid speed flying too, I just love the speed though and this little motor is a jewel that needs a home.
Thank you, Doug
p.s. I KNOW it's nuts !!!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:37 PM
mad web tv scientist

Tim, just made some measurements and found that there is actually more room in the servo area of the GUNFIGHTER than in the 109 because the receiver is located further back in the 109. It forced me to locate my two "safety redundant elevator servos" side by side and use shorter arms on them than is the case in the GUNFIGHTER.

Joe & Doug, besides being exciting for daring flyers, I assume it is also true that way overpowered high speed planes also are easier to control in vertical maneuvers? Next time out I am going to try to begin a large loop from shortly after full throttle hand launches with both the stock GUNFIGHTER and Messerschmitt (no landing gear) and see if it is practical to fly impressively around to directly overhead.

I have already given up on flying straight up from shortly after launch with these machines. Please correct me if I am wrong, but my theory is that changing airspeed and/air currents with my less powerful fighters is interacting with my nervous emotional reactions resulting in poor piloting skills, right?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

By the way, you are not crazy, you are just facing challenges and having fun! Just don't stop sharing your experiences and your ideas, there are some really heavy things going down in this world today, and don't think you are not being noticed!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 11-30-2009, 05:29 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mad, I would not try it from a hand launch, even with a tuff flight preditor (which i know can do it right from the hand launch). having experienced it by accident there is little room for error, and easy to loose orientation.

my me109 fell victom to moving can syndrome. i can now fly with the other me109s at the field. so i guess the motor or bat. were weak. my new bat has 21 flights on it now, thanks for the tips.

the ground here is pretty heaved so i will have to remove the wheels soon.

Joe
Old 11-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Hey guys, I haven't time to read the thread, Could you just tell me your impressions of this plane? Is it powerful enough right out of the box? And by powerful enough, I mean is it a little over powered like most of us like? or is it just powered enough?
Old 12-01-2009, 04:02 PM
mad web tv scientist

[8D] Wheel, Yes! Even with the extra weight and drag of landing gear along with "full house flaps," this baby (see 109 picture on bottom of page
http://community-2.webtv.net/RICHARD...ORY/page6.html )really has it! I plan to go out today and and try the maneuver I did a poor job of describing above with the non-gear version of the Messerschmitt and the GUNFIGHTER.

The maneuver can best be described as an elongated "C." When/if the ships reach the top after a full throttle hand launch, the 109 will perform a simple roll to compete an Immelmann turn, but the great sounding dead stick diving P-51 will be pointed straight down to announce its presence to any hapless bystanders that something worth watching is happening in their very presence. Now you can see why I always like to fly the Mustang first.

You are about to have some real fun. GO FOR IT!

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 12-02-2009, 07:38 PM
mad web tv scientist

pal, thanks for your concern about my attempt to develop a maximum performance climb demonstration maneuver. The 109 almost did it yesterday after a poor showing with the P-51. The trick is to "simply" keep the wings level, use the rudder to maintain a straight track (this is where I keep losing it, I think), and keep feeding in enough up elevator to bring the ship up to altitude, at which time level out inverted, finishing the maneuver once the ship is over head.

Next time out after my first attempt, the planned practice session will be to fly over low and slow to simulate hand launch conditions, throttle up and try again to perform a reasonably controlled maximum performance climb. This will practiced until I can get it right. It really shouldn't be that difficult to get it right.

Glad to be of service about your batteries. I was very fortunate to learn about LiPos before destroying any 3 cell batteries. I had run a number of them down. It turns out that you can get away with running them way down every now and then evidently without much problem. After one long flight that has been timed it seems safe to shoot for a 40-70% discharge most of the time. This is also a good storage charge that promotes long life.

By the way, could you provide a little more information about your "moving can syndrome?"

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 12-02-2009, 11:42 PM
paladin

moving can syndrome
As the ground heaved I picked a tick, like something was caught in the motor when it nosed in on a landing. I field striped it and ran the motor striped (no prop. Or hub or spinner) while holding it in my hand. It had a vibration with the tick. I put it back together and flew it, still ticking and vibrating, it seamed to have no power loss.

Brought it home striped it down, searched the internet. No cracks in the top of the can and while checking I noticed the bottom of the can would move. So of coarse I found a spot that when I ran it in my hand produced the least vibration and reinstalled. Next time out mid flight it started ticking, I finished the flight then reset the can by removing the prop hub and moving the can with a screw driver. The next time out it seized up about three minutes in. I replaced it with a 500w motor and was finally able to keep up with the other Me109’s

I’ve been debating sending the motor back, the other Me109 flyers say I should because I was never able to keep up with them till I replaced the motor.

Joe
Old 12-04-2009, 05:56 PM
cool pool

Hi Guys, I need a little help with the type of transmitter to use with the BNF. I have a Spektrum DX6 park flyer, can it be used with this aircraft ?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:04 PM
glazier808

ORIGINAL: cool pool

Hi Guys, I need a little help with the type of transmitter to use with the BNF. I have a Spektrum DX6 park flyer, can it be used with this aircraft ?
roger that, just bind and fly

Casey
Old 12-04-2009, 07:00 PM
glazier808

I am thinking of changing over to Futaba, as I have an extra 7 channel rx for my 2.4 system. I'm alot better with the programming on the Futaba, and I've never had "linking" issues. Also this would allow me to put the flaps on the roller dial or 3 way swtch, instead of full on, or off as it is with my DX6.

Casey
Old 12-05-2009, 06:26 PM
mad web tv scientist

Joe, before yesterday's six (6) flights with the "full house" 109, I again very carefully examined the ship's motor - no cracks or looseness at all. The carefully added approximately 1/64 inch of end play should eliminate/minimize heat expansion can damage, that along with super lube on the bearings and perfectly balanced prop, spinner, and even the spinner nut - what could possibly go wrong?

There is one barely audible click when I spin the prop and watch that "enemy confusing" white spiral on the spinner. The "click" isn't getting worse so maybe
I'm okay - famous last words?

The sun happened to be in the down wind quadrant close to where I wanted to circle around before committing to a landing approach on my first flight. At the last instant I foolishly tried to change direction without carefully remembering which direction the plane was turning. Bad disorientation set in. Fortunately, there was enough altitude, the plane was slow enough due to the stock and added flap area that the plane was saved; but my nerves were shot and try as I may, stress rather than pleasure ruled the entire rest of the flying session.

Temperature was in the low forties here in the almost sea level density air which probably accounted for the ability of the 109 to perform my favorite square loop with victory rolls on the flat sides after a dive to build up some extra speed before entering the maneuver. After the weather warmed up and the air density got a little thinner, the ship tended to stall out on the first top corner later in the day, no more "fancy" square loops that day.

Four point rolls were done without "top rudder" by simply pulling the nose up just before starting the maneuver and once again when the ship is inverted. By flying it fairly fast and high only a pro would know I left out rudder control.

Knife edge flight wasn't that good, but I need more flights to know the 109s real limitations. I kept applying rudder in the wrong direction too often.

Actually sort'a got a "maximum performance climb maneuver," but I wimped out as the plane began to slow down at a high flight angle straight away so looped over to inverted flight and rolled out. I need a lot of practice as well as emotion control.

Looking forward to being a confident warbird aerobatics performer, someday.

[sm=cry_smile.gif]

Old 12-06-2009, 08:19 AM
flhtc3

Is it possible that the "click" you're hearing is from the spinner backplate touching the cowl? I nosed mine into the ground and had to dremel (with a sanding drum) the backplate to remove melted plastic. The backplate is somewhat warped resulting in a "minor" clicking sound as I spin the prop on the bench. I'm not concerned about it at this point because when she's powered up the prop pulls the backplate forward enough from the cowl to eliminate the click. I think I'll order a new spinner/backplate in the near future. I really like this plane but orientation issues and visibility (tree line in the background) can play havoc with the heartbeat.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:57 AM
johnpcunningham

cool pool, If you are running the older Spektrum DX6, i do not beleive it will bind with the stock AR500 - you need a DSM2 radio.

An update for everyone, at hobbyzone.com, they are selling a PZ 2 blade spinner for the ME-109 that looks the same as the 3-blade one - with the exception of 2 slots of course. I put in an Airscrew 11x7 and it performs very well. Give it a try if you want to break away from the 3 bladed prop.

JC
Old 12-07-2009, 08:13 AM
geekmedic

NO!

The DX6 is DSM1, not compatible with DSM2. [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMR5500]DX5e[/link], [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMR6600]DX6i[/link], [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMR7700]DX7[/link], [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM2731]DX7 SE[/link] are all [link=http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Technology/DSM2.aspx]DSM2[/link] and will bind with a BNF aircraft.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:32 AM
paladin

Mad, if it clicks all the time and you can remove the spinner, prop., and prop. Hub then it still clicks if you give it some throttle you got what I have. Remove the engine then watch the gap between the can and the base where they almost touch. You will see that the can is asque. You will also notice that with hand strength you can move it back into position. The motor can be held in hand (no prop, spinner, or prop hub) and throttled up and when you have it right the clicking will stop.

The problem is that at some point (mine was the next flight) the extra current to overcome the added drag overheated the speed control and I had a shout down. While still at the field the motor would not function. The next day everything worked again.

A scale maneuver for a Me109, and the one that made it dominant over spit 1 and hurri 1’s was the bunt. From level flight with a hurrispit on your tail push the stick away performing a ¼ outside loop. You are now free of the hurrispit because if he followed you he’s dead stick, if he rolled to avoid the negative G problem he’s still rolling. You want to see which way hes rolling and put your self in a position that requires a aileron reversal, hurrispit aileron response is slow, and bug out.
Got to go
Joe
Old 12-07-2009, 10:17 AM
glazier808

good stuff! I bet the pilots of the spits and hurri's just hated seeing a 109 go nose down...they had to think quick!

Casey
Old 12-07-2009, 10:21 AM
glazier808

ORIGINAL: geekmedic

NO!

The DX6 is DSM1, not compatible with DSM2. [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMR5500]DX5e[/link], [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMR6600]DX6i[/link], [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMR7700]DX7[/link], [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM2731]DX7 SE[/link] are all [link=http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Technology/DSM2.aspx]DSM2[/link] and will bind with a BNF aircraft.
you are correct, I overlooked that it was the DX6...hey I'm a Futaba guy...sorry lol.

Casey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.