Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Do you ever attract a large crowd when flying at the park?!

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Do you ever attract a large crowd when flying at the park?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 06:41 PM
bass305central

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you ever attract a large crowd when flying at the park?!

Every single time i go to the park a crowd will gather. Sometimes they are just standing in the middle of my runway!

They always ask where I got it, how much, and can I try???

Can't you see I'm trying to fly here!!!
Old 10-23-2009, 07:55 PM
cjg

Default RE: Do you ever attract a large crowd when flying at the park?!

Not large crowds, but when I fly at the High School (as opposed to out of town) I often get one or two people stop and ask questions.

I was flying my one and only 27mz plane (a SuperCub) a the high school when a neighborhood kid brought out his walmart r/c car to run next to me. I brought mine down in a real hurry....before his tx shot it down.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:53 PM
CBM Racing

Yeah, always have to be extra cautious around kids. They just don't get it that your "toy" can make mince meat out of little fingers, or worse. They mean well, and just can't help but be excited enough to do really dumb things. Was flying once at my usual park, and some little kids 4-7yrs old started to chase and try to catch my laser 3d while I brought it in for landing. After repeatedly asking them to stay back for just a second, asking their parents to keep them back for 1 minute, I had to ditch it in tall weeds 100yards away! I was so angry at the time, but now my kid is 4, so I understand much better that they just can't be controlled or trusted to risk flying near them without the "airmarshall" (wife) to run interference, heh heh. Adults are fine, asking questions, some get genuinely interested, most think it's just cool to watch. As long as it's safe, then it's fun!
Old 10-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Teenage Pilot 14

I almost always have an audience and mostly I don't mind it. Gives me a chance to show off People inevitably ask the same questions (How much? How high? How fast? Where can I get one? How much are those at Walmart? Can I try? Please?) but I've learned to fly the planes FIRST, listen to the people SECOND, if there's enough brain on hand. They understand if I sound tense/preoccupied. When I'm out testing out a new setup on a fast, unstable plane I sometimes just sy "I need to concentrate on the plane right now. I'll answer questions after I land." They usually listen.

Of course, when I've got the Slow Stick out just cruisin' I can mess with people and 'fly for the crowd'. Kids like to chase it and I just keep it above/ahead of them enough to make sure it can't be touched. It'll go that slow, too, but if I need to I can always pull away FAST and land (350W on a cut-down Stick will do that..). It makes me nervous when some kid starts dancing around my legs begging to give it a go, though.... I have absolute confindence in my Slow Stick's construction and I know what not to do 5 feet over people's heads (just don't fly there at all and I'm fine...).

One hard thing I run into is explaining thngs to adults who don't know anything about flight or electronics (So the speed control flys the plane and you just tell it where to go?). I often get the how-old-did-you-say-you-were look... (I just turned 15 today).

Old 10-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

ORIGINAL: CBM Racing

Yeah, always have to be extra cautious around kids. They just don't get it that your ''toy'' can make mince meat out of little fingers, or worse. They mean well, and just can't help but be excited enough to do really dumb things. Was flying once at my usual park, and some little kids 4-7yrs old started to chase and try to catch my laser 3d while I brought it in for landing. After repeatedly asking them to stay back for just a second, asking their parents to keep them back for 1 minute, I had to ditch it in tall weeds 100yards away! I was so angry at the time, but now my kid is 4, so I understand much better that they just can't be controlled or trusted to risk flying near them without the ''airmarshall'' (wife) to run interference, heh heh. Adults are fine, asking questions, some get genuinely interested, most think it's just cool to watch. As long as it's safe, then it's fun!
I beg to differ, I have never had a problem controlling my child. He is now 10 and I am still his hero and hope to always be.
Children can be controlled, but it's up to the parent to be a PARENT. Not a by stander and say something stupid like, he's just a child.
It's funny how some parents like to pick and choose when to be a parent. They will act accordingly when their child is about to get hurt, but don't seem to care when the child is about to tear up something expensive that belongs to someone else.
Tip to parents. The world does not revolve around your child. We can't turn the world into a big rubberized room. If you are too lazy to keep up with them, then get a leash.
Now that I said my peace, I feel better
I will add, that I love children, just not the ones that aren't brought up right.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Shortbuss

I usually get 5 people or so. I keep my Super Cub high above them and try to land at my feet so I can pick the plane up quick. Some kid 5 or so was peaved at me for not letting him fly it! I fly on the lake by my house last year and that attracted large crowds. Especially with the skis on it. I am always happy to show them and answer questions. To date I am the ONLY one to fly my cub!
Old 10-24-2009, 03:08 AM
Bowerz

I fly in my own field, at the headland away from the side of the field with a public footpath. That way no-one can distract me as im still kind of learning. I can't take it to any local parks near me because of what us english call "chavs". I might take it to a large place near me called the new forest (It isn't actually a forset, nor new. Its just A LOT of counrtyside with wild horses). It's very open and a lot of possible landing sights. Chavs don't inhibit this area so it would be just people who where truely interested, not just ones who want to see you crash. I think i would enjoy a crowd as i could to some stunts etc and just generally show off .
Old 10-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Dangaras

I can say from a serious crash and burn event, that this topic makes me cringe.. Itend to fly now only when there are less than 3 people in my flying field... Since I know where I am at all times, the other 2 people are easy to keep one or other of my eyes on.

I have been in my field with a half dozen people wandering around, then all of a sudden 20 spectators appear from nowhere and they stand on my runway to watch, usualy when my HK battery alarm is already emitting the first stage warning forcing me to make alternative landing arrangements. So far I have always been able to find a clear strip. Iam lucky that I have many different landing options, some better than others.

Ihave taken to flying late in the evening, early in the morning or when folks tend to have lunch or dinner to avoid the spectators.

Nailing some poor person who does not understand the potential hazards is never a good thing for me or for the future of flying in my field, as such Itry to be mindful of the other users. I have also restricted my flying to smaller models, that in essence would do less damage.

Remeber, if those folks decide to make your life hell, there are far many moe of them than you. Taking the time to educate them and suck them in also makes a huge difference, they help you keep the uninitiated ones out of your way sometimes....

Old 10-26-2009, 04:15 PM
cjg

Agreed that I don't like crowds when flying my T-28 or SC. I think anyone that would fly anything heavier than the T-28 around anyone is crazy. Even the T-28 is iffy, and I usually only fly it out of town.

It is one thing when parents come over with their kids, stand at the edge of the field to watch, and politely approach me after landing. When I was first learning on my SC at the high school, the old timers sat out in front of their houses across the street and cheered when I had a good touch and go, or loop. I admit that is kind of fun.

But alway, always, keep it clear of people. The worst is when you are bringing down, on final approach, and some little kids run out toward it on the landing spot. If they don't get hit on landing, they will trample it when they approach.

Argh. I wait until it is safe to get it down and pack up for the day when unattended kids are near. If parents are nearby I politely warn them to keep their children back for safety.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:54 PM
CBM Racing

Yep, it's hard to actually fly when you have little kids on the field to worry about, and they always show up at the worst possible time! Regardless of what wheelnut says about parenting and trusting kids, are YOU gonna entrust your home and livelyhood and every cent you ever make over the idea that "I am a good parent, so my kid is not insane like every other kid under 17?" This is what we guard ourselves against everyday, lawsuits from folks that say it's your fault for cutting my kid up with a toy! It doesn't matter that you asked them to stay back, it doesn't matter that you asked their parents to keep them back, it matters that it's a public area and as a direct result of flying your "toy" some kid got a scar on his finger and guess who is the responsible adult in this situation? Yup, so be extremely carefull around kids, (your's or others) because regardless of your parenting skills, if you hit a child and chop him up, no matter how mildly the cut, or if the kid was dumb as a post with parents watching as you yell at them to get back, it IS YOUR ASS for exposing them to "danger" in the first place. Remember, just because your 10 yr old might have some sense and training, it's no excuse for hitting the neighbors 3yr old that is running loose in an open park field! Watch your own actions, so the cops and elected officials don't have to[].
Old 10-26-2009, 09:49 PM
hamburgrd
My Feedback: (1)

I have had good and bad expirences with onlookers. The worst was when my good friend thought it would be funny to send his kid out into my flying field to race my G&C mini F-16. I was flying full throttle at about 5 ft off the deck when I herd him tell his kid to race the plane. The boy didn't hesitate and jumped out in front of a 100 mph 1lb 2oz projectile.[:'(] I was able to avoid the boy with a giant loop to landing then gave my buddy an appropriate reaming.[:@]

On the good side. I have an Aero Bird 3 that I take to the local park with a drop module and some parachutes. I think I have impressed more kids and parents with that little orange plane than I have with all my EDFs combined.

Eric
Old 10-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Wheelnut

This is interesting reading all the different experiences rc guys have with on lookers.

CBM Racing, I do watch what I am doing and I make a point of not flying near people. I was merely pointing out the fact that alot of people shouldn't be parents and have no business raising kids because they don't know how. These types of people make things hard for the rest of us.

I will share a recent experience with you. I won't get into much detail, but recently I had to correct one of my son's friends for doing something wrong. His father approached me and said that he didn't want anyone else correcting his son. He seemed very put off by the fact that someone had the nerve to correct his son. From my side of the story, it is very normal for a NEIGHBOR with a son that is your son's best friend to be corrected by the other parent. When I was growing up, it was a community effort to raise the children right.
Being caught off guard, I simply told him that if he couldn't raise his children right, then someone else will do it for him. Before he said another word, I told him I had an idea. I told him to keep his child away from mine and I would do the same. I don't put up with kids that are not taught how to act, nor their parents that don't know how to teach them. That is what's wrong with the world today.
The real problem is the fact that the line between right and wrong has become blurred by ignorant people. One good example is college student philosopher want a be's. Liberals will be the end of us all.

Now that I got that off my chest I feel better.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:44 PM
CBM Racing

Nice! Heh he heh! Yep, the community raises the child where I'm at as well. But dont forget that as rc pilots, we are very rare and most folks, espescially at parks, don't realize that our electric toys can and do inflict serious injury. If Billy jo Bob has never seen an rc plane only 40 inches across at the wings, with "only electric power", then he will most likely say to his kids, "Yeah, go try and ketch it, I got's the video a'rollin!" Well, in court guess who just got it in the kiester? Heh heh, yup, not Billy jo Bob. Polotics aside, we are all responsible for what happens with our hobby. Choose and decide what you think is best, maybe a new flying site? Maybe. Maybe just using common sense will avoid problems like this to begin with and we can all enjoy our hobby more safely because of it!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:07 AM
CBM Racing

Good thing I got a manual with my kid saying whats right and whats wrong. Those lousy guys that dare say it might be your right to breed and have offspring! Sputter gasp wha!!! Don't people realize that a liscence to breed is mandatory!? How dare you you disagree with my ultimate pure view is whats right when it comes to your kids!!! WOW! I just PM'D a guy saying I would apologize on here if I offended him for insulting him or his children or his parenting skills. I publicly take that private message back with no missgivings or misunderstandings aside. Wheelnut, you have the insulted the Canadian and American dream that all are entitled to our Human rights by saying that some people don't know how to raise kids and by making it "hard on us" their rights should account for less than ours. ***!!! Good thing we dont live in the same "neighborhood" I guess[ WOW! Glad my kid came with a document saying it his "right" to decide how other children should/will be raised, regardless of his endangering the general and more numbered populace than his mere 3% rc flier stewardship of the general public. Good thing folks can't decide without our "direction" weather or not to procreate. Glad we can decide who has kids and who's we "delete" because, God knows what would happen if people were allowed to decide if they were smart enough to have kids or not! Without our explicit consent no less!!! How dare humans deny our right to decide their fate, haow dare they!!![:@][>:][:'(]
Old 10-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Wheelnut

I must say that if anyones judgment is clouded enough to not know right from wrong, then I feel sorry for them and their children. Sure there are some gray areas, but for the most part, right from wrong is very clear, unless you were raised by someone who thinks that if their children gets hurt by a stick, then it is the trees fault and we should cut them all down. Just like the people that think it is McDonald's fault that they are fat, or it is the tobacco companies fault that they have lung cancer.
What a stupid world we live in.

Let me ask some questions to help this make sense to some of you.
Did your parents need a manual to teach you not to stick your hand in a fire?? I dont' think so.
Did they need a manual to teach you not to steal? Nope
Do you think that if a child sticks their hand in a fire, that it is the fault of the person that made the fire? No again.
If your child is too young to know that sticking their hand in a propeller will hurt them, then they need to be protected until they do. DUH!

But on the other hand, if you are flying in a public park and you fly your plane into a child, then it IS YOUR fault.
If the parent sees you flying, then they should have enough sense not to let their child run out in front of the plane. Is it that hard to pick up the child until the CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER is gone??

Is the line between right and wrong becoming more clear to you???
Old 10-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Sinai

...dare i say, nobody cares? I dare not. This is frickin' awesome reading! Nice volley, gents. nice volley

I attracted a crowd of kids under my aeroace jet and watched them chase it like a pied piper (about 14 of them) until i realized i was a goner if i landed . As soon as i did, the kids raced toward it, and the 1st one to get to it, proved they were 1st by stepping on it. But i coaxed them into it by flying low over their heads to be chased for fun.

The drop module always gets a small crowd and is very fun too.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Wheelnut

Sinai, sorry to hear about your loss, lol.

It is a shame that we don't have fields that are designated for rc flying. It would be very nice. (Pipe dream)
Old 11-06-2009, 08:46 PM
AndyW

ORIGINAL: Sinai

...dare i say, nobody cares? I dare not. This is frickin' awesome reading! Nice volley, gents. nice volley

I attracted a crowd of kids under my aeroace jet and watched them chase it like a pied piper (about 14 of them) until i realized i was a goner if i landed . As soon as i did, the kids raced toward it, and the 1st one to get to it, proved they were 1st by stepping on it. But i coaxed them into it by flying low over their heads to be chased for fun.

The drop module always gets a small crowd and is very fun too.
You flew low over their heads ??? You sound like the kid in Wheelnut's story. Where were YOU'RE parents ?
Old 11-06-2009, 08:48 PM
AndyW

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

It is a shame that we don't have fields that are designated for rc flying. It would be very nice. (Pipe dream)

We DO, they're called model aircraft club fields. Check out http://www.modelaircraft.org/ and join a club. Sheesh.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:51 PM
AndyW

Where I live the spectators show up BEHIND me and wait till I land before speaking. Never had a problem with kids. Somehow, it just works that way here.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: AndyW

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

We DO, they're called model aircraft club fields. Check out http://www.modelaircraft.org/ and join a club. Sheesh.
Sorry, I was talking about PUBLIC fields payed for by TAX dollars. Sorry, I guessed you could have figured out what I was talking about. everyone knows about CLUB fields where you pay a member ship. The other problem is they are way too far away and way to inconvenient. Sheesh
Old 11-07-2009, 03:15 PM
cjg

I was flying today in a field near the edge of town. I use a little used road as the runway. Standing no the curb and flying, I could hear a car pull up about 1/2 block away and stop. He was polite enough to wait until I landed before he drove over to get a closer look. We discussed where I got it, the features, etc. He commented on how well I was controlling the T-28 through some aileron rolls, immelmans, half eights, etc.

That is the kind of polite spectator that makes all this fun.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:07 PM
lbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW,

Ever have to deal with a socker mom???[]

I try to fly when no one is around, but I usually get cops to show up and tell me not to fly here.....

Joined a club, joined the AMA now no problems....

Larry
Old 11-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Sinai

ORIGINAL: AndyW
ORIGINAL: Sinai
You flew low over their heads ??? You sound like the kid in Wheelnut's story. Where were YOU'RE parents ?
lol yep, the ol' aero ace is a crowd pleaser. It's a low flyer (12 -15 feet ) anyway. But after the crowd gathered underneath, the aeroace was doomed by the pack of hunters below. It's mighty, but it's 5" long and never stood a chance under their feet.
alas nobody cares. Not even my parents. Where are your parents?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27087.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1311193  
Old 11-09-2009, 11:02 PM
lbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crushing that pretty little thing.....

Socker moms should be ashame of themselves.....

Hey, got a idea.... during the next game go flatten on of there socker balls.....

I bet you will be skinned, hog tied, arrested and burned at the cross[]

before the ref can blow his whistle.....

No respect.....

Larry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.