Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

I'm going electric!! What should I get?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

I'm going electric!! What should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I'm going electric!! What should I get?

I like going out the back door to fly also, that is why I LOVE my Micro Cessna, Micro Citabria, Ember, Sukhoi, Vapor and Micro P-51, I can fly all of them in my back yard. I will definitely not drive any more that 3 to 5 miles to fly. Fortunately, I have one huge field less than a mile from my house and two more less than 5 miles.
I had the DX5e and enjoyed it very much until my hangar started getting bigger and I needed a radio that I could program settings for more than one plane on. It sucks having to trim every time you switch planes. So I sold the 5e and got the 6i. I am currently a little upset with my self for not getting the DX7. It is a thinner nicer radio.
However, I am going to join the AMA. It would be nice to have if some accident was to happen.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:20 AM
DenverJayhawk

Wheelnut,

I'm looking into a DX6i or DX7. I'll probably not get more than 3-4 models flying at a time. Should I spring for a DX7 over a DX6i? I currently have two glow models (Stik and Nexstar).
Old 11-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

The DX6i is a great radio and will hold 10 model memory. I will say that the DX7 provides one more channel if you really need it. Other than that, it is preferable to those who would rather have a sleeker radio with more crazy trim functions or definitely if you fly a heli. The DX7 is thinner and fits in the hands better.
I will stick with my 6i and be happy with it.

The most important thing about having a radio that has model memory is so you don't have to worry about trimming every time you fly a different plane. That can lead to mistakes and crashes. Like if you forget to reverse a servo. I would think this would be especially important with glow planes. Maybe I'm wrong on that one, I'm not a glow plane pilot
Old 11-30-2009, 03:54 PM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bute 56 - Having recently started in electrics after 25+ years of Nitro this is what I did to get started:

H9 Mini Ultra Stik $129 new ( i got mine in a trade)

HeadsUpRC.com PowerUp 450 (less than $19.95)
HeadsUpRC.com 32A ESC (less than $21.95)
HeadsupRC.com Corona Recv (sorry its on 72) $15.25 (but Corona does make a 2.4 recv) Crystal was $2.95
HeadsUpRC.Com 9G Servos (4) each at $5.95
All shipped for $2.00

HobbyPartz.com 3S 20C 2200 mAh battery $16 plus the shipping costs ($6 if I remember right)

basically all that new for less than $250. I know that you are looking at a budget of $400, but you might be able to find the radio cheap.

The Mini Ultra Stik is a ball to fly even in strong winds and is my favorite knock around plane. A lot a people are going for the 480 on the Stik, but the PowerUp 450 reallys hauls the load, especially in the vertical. Plus, it all ships in fast from FL and CA
Old 11-30-2009, 05:00 PM
lbarnes

Sounds like you did what I did and went cheap. I also had a Mini ultra stick. Just loved to fly it on a $9.00 CD ROM motor. Could do 3D and every stunt in the book.

Hated to loose it to a power line that clipped the wing in half. After picking the tooth picks up on the field (now I know why it was so light) the only think I could salvage was the tail feathers.

I then found the thread for foam plans and ended up building the look alike below out of 3/16 foam board and Elmers glue...

Dosent fly as well as the Mini U stick, it came in weighing about 2 oz heaver then the Mini U stick.

I should have left the covering off, that's were the extra ounces cam in...

Larry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64479.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1323742  
Old 12-01-2009, 11:16 AM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Yeah, I went cheap (been in this hobby too long), but the equipment is just as good if not better. Sometimes your paying more for the name than quality. Nothing against the major name brands, but when I can get 3 motors (with better performance)for the price of one, I'll do it. If I destroy it, I've not lost as much and will have its replacement in the shop!