Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

need imput on megatech freedom flyer

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

need imput on megatech freedom flyer

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 02:43 PM
mikec123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need imput on megatech freedom flyer

ok my daughter bought me this plane.. she knows nothing of rc and did not bother to ask me first.
After doing alot of research on this plane on the net {very little info and videos on it} from what i gather megatech is one of the worst companies out there. everyone seems to agree........ has anyone flown this plane? do you think i can trade it in at my lhs? shoould i keep it for the servos and build another plane? maybe im stuck with it.... any help and imput is met with a thank u...... Mike
Old 01-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Default RE: need imput on megatech freedom flyer

Have you ever flown a hobby grade RC plane before? If the answer is no, then I think you should keep it and use it as a trainer. As a high wing plane, it can't fly that bad.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:19 PM
mikec123

what does hobby grade mean?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Wheelnut

It means the model will have standard sevos, and not servos attached to the main board. They are sometimes called an all in one.
It will have a seperate recever and esc. This is not necessarily true with tne new Micro PZ planes.
By saying hobby grade, I also meant any plane other than something you would buy at a place like walmart.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:35 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a one piece electronic board if I recall correctly, my dad bought me one, it took off and flew ok, but a couple minutes into the flight I heard a crack/pop and the wing caved and it went in hard,never did find it...Rog
Old 01-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one Megatech airplane.
I can fly it.
I have 55 years of r/c airplane experience, and this thing, the "Cosmic Flier" is a throwback past that era.
It is quite challenging to fly, with a super-silly control system. The motor has two speeds. Off and On. It must be held on to keep it running.
The rudder control system has three positions; neutral, full right or full left. Nothing in between.
With a few misadventures, I have managed to get consistent flights from it, but.... it is universally condemned by other experts with lots of flight time, as a piece of junk. But fun to watch them finger out how to make it fly.
I concur with this.
Another Megatech offering showed up at the field as a Christmas present from a grandfather to his grandson.
I disremember the name, but the thing is flashy and exotic, and totally unflyable! Looks like a three-hulled catamaran with rudimentary wings and tail surfaces.
We tried for almost an hour to get it into the air.The control system is even wierder than the Cosmic Flier, requiring three hands!
The motor has 3 speeds, the rudder has to be held to right or left, and the "elevator" is a push-button switch for up, from neutral, and must be held on to work.
I put the kid on a buddy box with one of my Easy Stars, and got him to doing takeoffs on the third flight.
The piece of junk he brought is that red-black-thing in the background.
Megatech should be banned from exporting that crap from China.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22868.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1361174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74348.jpg
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	1361175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46957.jpg
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1361176  
Old 01-22-2010, 01:03 PM
mikec123

i quess not alot of people have had the pleasure or displeasure of owning a freedom flyer... ok heres what i think i might do... stevens areomodel
has some awsome looking planes the videos are great.. ill fly this megatech till i destroy it and use the guts in a stevens design plane check out his site....pictures and vids on this thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1108224

also i started a thread here that has alot of pictures

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9435402/tm.htm
Old 02-02-2010, 07:36 PM
mikec123

ok tried this plane and have burned lke 5 batts through it and i like ths plane flys well
Old 02-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Wheelnut

Great Mike,
Keep flying and enjoying the plane