Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

What's used to hold things in ParkZone planes?

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

What's used to hold things in ParkZone planes?

Old 01-22-2010, 02:25 PM
tness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's used to hold things in ParkZone planes?

I broke the prop. shaft on my PZ Cessna 210 Centurian Minnium. I bought two new motors and and mounts with shafts. I took it apart and cut the old one out. I also cut the orig. motor out of the mount because it was just the shaft that was broken(has a reduction gearbox on it) and put a new gearbox with prop shaft in. Does anyone know what PZ used originally to fasten things in their planes? It looks for all the world like bath and tub caulk. It's not hard like epoxy. On my SuperCub, I needed to replace the fuse, so I cut all the components out and epoxied everything back into the new fuse with 6 min. epoxy, but it's a lot harder than the original "stuff" that PZ used to fasten components. I'd like to use the stuff that they used, as it was easy to cut with a hobby knife, and didn't require tearing out a lot of foam. It does look to me for all the world like they used silicon caulk.

Any ideas?

As always, thanks much...again!!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Default RE: What's used to hold things in ParkZone planes?

Elmers Gel works great.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Oregon Craig

It is a siliconE glue, yes. I just put my elevator servo back in my 109 using a Gorilla Glue precision glue pen. One dab on each side. It feels very secure, and Gorilla is foam safe. It expands though, so use sparingly if you do.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:52 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Yes - Gorilla does a great job. I broke my PZ Typhoon in half and glued the fuse back together with Gorilla, taped it up tight, and the next day (after some time spent cutting/grinding off excess expanded Gorilla glue) it was flying as well as before. The color is ugly, so if Elmers works, it might be a more palatable solution.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:51 AM
tness

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

Elmers Gel works great.
Elmers Gel...didn't know they made such a thing. I've used Gorilla glue on some of my wood working projects, but never on my airplanes because it expands. I'll have to head to my local Ace Hardware store today and see what kind different kind of glues they have and look specifically for Elmers Gel and a silicone based adhesive.

Thanks guys, as usual, a lot of really good advice!
Old 01-23-2010, 07:55 AM
tness

ORIGINAL: lejongleur

Yes - Gorilla does a great job. I broke my PZ Typhoon in half and glued the fuse back together with Gorilla, taped it up tight, and the next day (after some time spent cutting/grinding off excess expanded Gorilla glue) it was flying as well as before. The color is ugly, so if Elmers works, it might be a more palatable solution.
I found clear Gorilla Glue at my local Ace Hardware store...I needed to glue the hinge screws to a kitchen cabinet door into the wood because they stripped out and I didn't want to fill them with plastic wood and re-tap them. I was glad because the color is kind of aweful. Enough people must have said that they wanted clear instead of ugly brown. It also came in the precision bottle. Worked the same without the brown color.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Wheelnut

I like the Elmer's Gel because it is easier to get out when the motor dies and you need to replace it.
I tried hot glue on one of my old Micro Cessna's, and I don't recommend it. I let the glue gun get too hot and the glue melted the foam in the plane. It took some work to repair it.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Oregon Craig

On my Gorilla precision stick, it says it dries "White". Not sure, since I wiped off all the excess squeezage as it dried. I can't see it.

That servo sure is in there good and solid now, after sitting overnight.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:25 PM
tness

I bought GE silicone II household glue. It's silicone based and says it won't shrink and remains flexible. We'll see. I couldn't find Elmer's Gel, but I'll keep looking and get some of that to try it also. Hopefully, I'll find something decent to work. I know I don't like to use foam safe CA...I'll save the CA for my balsa nitro planes when I get back in the air after the winter!
Old 01-23-2010, 04:06 PM
johnpcunningham

I extensively use hot glue for just about everything. If you use the larger ones (~30W to 40W) it can melt the foam, but the msller ones (~10W to 20W). When I build up a PZ plane from scratch, I use a 15W glue gun to mount the servos in the fuse and the wings. On larger repairs, I've even glued an enitre wing and an eniter fuse back together after some mid-air combat.
Anyway, that is my spin on it.

JC
Old 01-23-2010, 05:44 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Best thing I've found for the Parkzone planes is UHU Creativ film & foil. It's also called UHU PoR overseas, but also sold by some hobbyshops here in the U.S. in the PoR package. It dries clear, but stays flexible. Dries a little stiffer than the oem parkzone glue, but softer than CA or Gorilla glue and cuts well with a hobby knife if you have to remove it.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Wheelnut

N70R, I just hope you can get it out later when it dies.

Hugger, I don't like UHU too much. Maybe I got a bad tube. Mine always seems sticky for weeks. Even when cured in a dry non humid warm place and that is also after letting it get tacky before sticking the pieces together.

John, I do use the small glue sticks and small gun. I have noticed, the longer I let the gun sit there the hotter the glue gets. When I stay with it and start using it right when the glue starts metling, then it's fine.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:36 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

You may have got a tube of the multi-purpose UHU. I accidently ordered some by mistake and still trying to use it up where I can. It does stay sticky for a while and not even flyable for a day or two. I've had good results with the PoR and the Creative Film & Foil. It is usually flyable within a couple hours, fully cured overnight.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:11 PM
wpotter6

Canopy glue works well and it remain soft, unlike epoxy.