Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

My new tiger moth

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 04:53 AM
johnathan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new tiger moth

Well after reading several reviwes and all of the praise here on the board I did it. I went to the LHS and bought a GWS Tiger Moth.
When building I noticed that the tail group looked lighter in color than the rest of the plane. So I bought some testors model paint and now I have a moth in Cub yellow. I like it. Hope to test fly it in the Hanger at work during lunch.
They do make a good-looking model. John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7498_2489.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	5297  
Old 04-03-2002, 04:56 AM
johnathan

Default another view

Here is another shot. This is my first parkflyer and my first electric. I got the flight pack with the 270MA battery .

Name:	7499_2489.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	5298  
Old 04-03-2002, 02:20 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looks Good

She be good looking plane. Let us know what the flight report is. Good Luck Dave
Old 04-04-2002, 12:38 AM
johnathan

Default Thanks for the reply

Hello Dave
The plane flies just like stated in all of the reviwes. Just like a slow old timmer. Its very relaxing and fun. Afriend has one at work and we flew today at lunch.
This is a very gentle flyer with good controll authority at all speeds. John

P.S. Look in the cockpit I told you I was going flying today.

Name:	7536_2489.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	5299  
Old 04-04-2002, 10:40 AM
HitecRedneck

Johnathan, when you get a chance change your batteries to 6 720 nimhs and increase your flight time to around 30 minutes. I alternate flying planes and this allows me to fly the Moth all afternoon without charging.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:03 PM
johnathan

Default Thanks for the reply

I ordered some of the LiOn packs .Some people have reported 35 to 50 min. flight time. They require a little work removal from the cell phone pack and shrink rap. But I will let you know how it works out. John
Old 04-05-2002, 07:44 AM
hobbyplace
My Feedback: (1)

Default JOHNATHAN

HEY NICE PIC OF YOU FLYING THE MOTH COME PICK ME UP I WANNA GO FOR A FLIGHT LOL
Old 04-05-2002, 07:48 AM
hobbyplace
My Feedback: (1)

Default BATTERYS

HEY CHECK ON EBAY THE ARE SELLING LITHIUM ION BATTERYS I BOUGHT A FEW OF THEM AND I GET FLIGHTS OUT OF THE MOTH 35 TO 45 MINUTES ON O PACK THEY ARE CELL PHONE BATTEREYS THEY WORK AWSOME AND A TAD LITER THAN THE BATTERY PACKS U USE THEY SELL 4 WITH A CHARGER FOR 60 CAD CHECK IT OUT
Old 04-05-2002, 02:02 PM
MUISER
My Feedback: (3)

I purchased a 1350 mah 2 pack of Lithium batteries with charger for short money from ebay and I can get 50 minutes, at full throttle, out of a charge. Ron
Old 04-06-2002, 05:19 AM
johnathan

Default 830 LiOn

Hobbyplace
The way the moth just eases around the ride would be relaxing ha ha.
Muiser
By dividing 50min by 1350 You come up with .0370 per min.
Now that I have ordered some 830 Ma cells I should get 30 min at full throttle.
I dont keep the moth peged all of the time I pull back to 1/2 for slow fly bys. So with throttle managment maybe 40 min.
Sounds great to me. John
Old 04-12-2002, 06:55 AM
johnathan

Default LiOn update

Ok now for the rest of the story.
I recived my LiOn Qualcom packs from hakectt electric the other day. Very fast service by the way.
I cut open the packs and followed the website and retrofitted the charger and the cells. I have 9 packs I was up late and ruined one of them by cutting it open with a dremel whoops.

I was getting around 25 min at first and found that the engine was heating up and loosing power. I bought a heat sink and opened up the intake and added a couple of more outlets slots in the cowl for exhaust.
Wow I flew for 38 min tonight and had to land I still had some battery left. Trust me duration is work and not all fun ha ha. But I wanted to see how it would do. The packs are all everyone says they are !!! John
Here are the links http://pease1.sr.unh.edu/aew/rc/HowTo/Qualcomm/
and another by zagizagi whom answers mail and seems very nice. http://home.attbi.com/~zagizagi/lithium/
Old 04-16-2002, 11:58 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tiger Moth

I flew mine for the first time Sunday. What areal surprise! It flew very well and no trimming needed. I use a couple 350 Mah packs and one 150. The batts were a little on the low side , as I have yet had the chance to fly again, this time with the batts fully charged. Lokks like two more TM pilots joined the squadron!
Cheerio! Jollyroger
Old 04-17-2002, 02:29 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks great! how slow is it? think you can fly it inside a large shop? hehe
Old 04-17-2002, 06:29 AM
johnathan

Default Welcome to the squadron

Pip Pip Jolly Roger
They are making millions on these . They are a very fun poke around little plane.
JohnVH
I don't think I would fly in anything samller than a small Gym.

But hey if you have at least 100 feet by 75 you could do it. My guess is that the stall is around 3 to 5 mph. But with the stock engine and the stock prop you need around 20 feet or more to ROG. I have a stick and it only needs 6 feet to ROG .

They have the same motor but a differant gear ratio. They TM has alot more drag than a stick. The stick with pollyhederal turns in around 6 feet or so . You be the judge try them youll like them.

Flying in a hanger @ work during lunch can spoil you real quick. Let me warn you that if you like these little planes they are very habit formining. All of them seem too good of a price to pass up ha ha. John
Old 04-17-2002, 11:55 AM
JohnVH

OK, I like the looks of that plane, I am looking for something to fly in a shop 120'x50', I am kinda looking for an aerobat type too, will this one do anything?
Old 04-17-2002, 07:43 PM
johnathan

Default Not built stock

JohnVH

These planes fly slow and true. They will do stall turns and with enough altitude and a steep dive they will loop. But not indoors. I wouldn't try this without first installing flying wires.

I have seen video of a guy in Austrialla doing loops but he has a 280 motor on his. The ones that are selling the in states come with the little geared IPS motor and are a very low power sloflyer motor. Add to that the fact that this is a high drag biplane it dosen't add up to aerobat. But I don't think the fullscale plane was either.

Their are a lot of other choices for aerobatics this is not one of them. This little plane looks great in the air and in the distance you can almost here the machine gun fire . It is a stand off scale looking floater !

With a phrase like Got Turbine I don't think this fits your type of flying. Just guessing John
Old 04-17-2002, 08:32 PM
JohnVH

I hear you, BUT, just because I like am into very fast turbine aircraft, doesnt mean a little indoor flyer isnt beyond me, I fly heli's also, and prop planes, even had an electric piccolo heli I flew in my house!!

Just thinking of trying something new here with small indoor/outdoor electric flight!
Thanks
Old 04-17-2002, 11:33 PM
Cadet

Hey john try a micro-IFO. I saw a guy with one that was 17" wing span that he flew in his living room. Pretty cool.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:31 AM
JohnVH

that would be cool!!
Old 04-22-2002, 03:28 AM
JohnVH

I saw two of them flying at the field yesterday, really looked like fun! I think I need one, saw one fold the wings at about 50' though both were flying in slight wind and had little problems, I was liking it.