Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Help! Getting back into R/C planes

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Help! Getting back into R/C planes

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 04:16 PM
Davidl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Getting back into R/C planes

I am looking to get back into the Hobby after about 10 years. I used to fly Pattern and enjoyed precision flight and the ability to do touch-and-goes just for fun.

There is not a flying field near my house (1 hour drive) so I am considering a Park Flyer or a Slow Flyer. I have few concerns

1. Flight time --would like to get about 12-15 minutes
2. Nice flying plane -- that I can do touch and goes and Aerobatics if I want too
3. not to squirly-- I have to imagine many of these fly this way.

Also due to lack of space in the house (and kids) I don't have time to build a plane from plans anymore.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a plane that would fly like what I am looking for?

I greatly appriciate any/all input.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Arrow>>-->

Take a look at .Mountain Models

Also take a look at Todds models and take a look at the Tiny X. it is a nice acrobatic little plane. They have some very nice planes that may fit what you are looking for. I have a Dandy and just got the Cessna 180 which is a great looking little plane.

For longer flight times look in to going with Lithiums. You flights can be anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour with the right setup.

If you don't want to go with balsa the mini IFO is supposed to be a pretty fun flying plane.

And lastly if you want to go with Foam take a look at the GWS planes.

Tons of choices out there.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:58 PM
Davidl

Are these type of planes good for take off and landings (provided that the grass is cut) Do any specific planes handle this well. Also what about specific "finished kits" so that there is close to 0 build time.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/threedee.htm

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/dynamic.htm

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/t6texan.htm
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/monsun.htm

Do any of these stand out to be GREAT planes? I am sure that I have missed many! but the kits seem to come mostly built.

Again.. if anyone has other suggestions.. please suggest!

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2003, 06:42 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hobby lobby has nice looking stuff but you will PAY for it,, I'd go with the GWS line from my own experience....grass and parkflyers dont mix for take offs, I fly from a blacktop in a schoolyard and my GWS FD stick will take off in 10 feet,, flight times are usaully in the 7 - 10 minute range, anymore than that you'd need to go li-poly ,,a little high $$ for me ,oh and the stick takes about 3 hours to set up.....I like the look of the mountain models, I just have never had one....Rog
Old 07-16-2003, 06:51 PM
Davidl

what is the URL for the GWS line airplanes?
Old 07-16-2003, 06:54 PM
Arrow>>-->

There ya go.GWS
Old 07-16-2003, 06:55 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont have a link but I got mine at microrcflyer.com I think,, the guy is Richard, got my stuff out fast.....but go to your LHS and see if they can get it first, gotta keep them alive ya know...Rog