Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official Parkzone Extra 300 thread

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official Parkzone Extra 300 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:35 AM
phillipmorris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Parkzone Extra 300 thread

I continue to enjoy mine, its simply a much faster ship than my others, and understand the concern on these inverted wings, but flying it with this error its still off the charts for me, and I deadstick this puppie in just need some space for the landings, in my case the nose actually wants to rise well before touchdown. Its been amazing...my procedure is to drop it down tree high as I cut throttle on the turn around, drop the nose as needed and it easily scoots in with plenty of airspeed for the zero throttle landing. It really moves out even just over 1/2 throttle. Can only imagine the improved performance on corrections. Mine is battery lodged inplace, no CG adjusting right out of the box . I like it !

Hint on landing deadstick and it indeed does, just keep things flying, touch more airspeed coming in and do the flares at the very last, is a slightly faster approach than my high wings of course, but very predictable. And I'm weak on landings, great practice for me !
Old 08-12-2010, 04:52 PM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Practicing landings on a model that has a reverse Airfoil pattern is not what I consider a "normal" call of events in a typical park flying session and there is no dispute that this model is a terrific Sport RC Model in the air but, to say that someone needs to practice landings when we all know what happens when someone throttle's down it typically slams down hard unless of course you come with speed. Speed.....now you have a chance to rip off the main landing gear assembly.

It would be nice to see HH just bite the bullet and provide new Wing Assemblies with the correct Airfoil, period.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:20 PM
phillipmorris

No, its not coming in that fast at all, simply keep things flying, certainly its not slamming in. I'm not gifted on deadstick landings tho I enjoy this method. Some have trouble landing a trainer deadstick. Then don't attempt it with a low wing. My only caution is give it some extra room, did land it once on a small infield, but it needs more room, for me likely even with the corrected wings. With the reverse airfoil it does a stunning inverted. I'm simply attempting to let those know how it handles with these issues. Certainly things are not correct. Hope they do come out with a fair conclusion on all this. But, gads this puppie flys !
Old 08-12-2010, 05:32 PM
guapoman2000

Not talking about your DEAD STICK or not Landings, just in general of other people who have the reverse Airfoil and for those Videos (several) that I have recorded, they do not dare come in Dead Stick.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:52 PM
phillipmorris

Still concerned wrong impressions going on, are horrible landings with the famed Super Cub, me included. It really does land deadstick if your accustom to this type of landings. Not that this is correct, as I do alot of deadsticks on all my flyers, hence little issue flying this one even with the wing issue. But I'm still getting use to the relative speed this one has at barely over half throttle. Not earthshattering but does cruise territory faster than my other flyers. I'm defintely having fun with this one. Its a nifty flyer for me. Take Care, and I enjoy the responses.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:57 PM
guapoman2000

Super Cub? I thought this thread was about the PZ Extra 300????
Old 08-12-2010, 10:02 PM
phillipmorris

No, its about issues landing the 300 deadstick, and it indeed does. I'm flying this one, not coming to conclusions on just videos. This one takes off straight right off the pavement even tho a tail dragger, impressive, and it flys like its on rails, impressive again, inverted is super, and it lands solid. As any model check its behavior at altitude and your in for a fun ride. It flys fine, and likely better with corrected airfoil. Either way its a treat.

Note the airfoil is an error, not trying to avoid any of this, but check out some early posts before it was recognized, got thumbs up responses, its that good even with this issue going on, this amuses me.

Another note, many are giving it negatives and yet to even fly it. Pay attention to those that are flying this one. Some give it a strong difference with correction on the airfoil, other post saying not that big of difference. Many are rightly upset on all this and is what your hearing. Fly it and give your report.

Mine flys fantastic, its a fun flyer.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:36 AM
guapoman2000

Again not trying to discuss any DEAD STICK landings here with anyone...

Glad the Reverse Airfoil "on-going" issue amuses you.....but, many who purchased the first batch of these EXTRA 300 came back to the Local hobby stores here in Central Florida complaining that the model slams down hard on landing, notwithstanding the advertised Center-Of-Gravity post up in Horizon Hobby web Site.

I am just very happy that you are happy with your model as many here are but, the landing should be just like all the rest of the "Park Flyers" that are out in the market and not come in with so much speed just because a distributor decided to not provide a FIX to the reverse Airfoil.

Oh, don't worry yourself as I myself have flown both......the stock with reverse Airfoil and with the flipped wing setups.[:@]

Happy landings!
Old 08-13-2010, 03:17 PM
phillipmorris

Really I'm enjoying your accurate postings, well said. The amusement on the airfoil was until it was noticed it was receiving good reviews. Then suddenly it was a poor flyer. No question its faulty. Sorry to hear some have issues of it slamming in. On any model I pay attention to it behavior in the air for a clue of what to expect on the landings. The reversed airfoil takes a touch over half throttle to behave, mine does approach with some speed even deadstick, the nose then wants to lift, keeping it level mine does glide right in. Keeping things flying till the last it slows to a very decent touchdown.

Some input I did fly it today in some light gusty winds, required some down elevator trim into the winds, on this landing, sorry I keep repeating deadstick but thats the way it came in, the angle of the wind changed to 45 degrees, it crabbed turning into the wind but held position with the runway for a smooth landing. Its a fun flyer.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:25 PM
guapoman2000

I don't recall where anyone said it was a poor flyer? Where?

The characteristics of it's obvious handling issues are as you say when landing. The Airfoil was discovered by an employee at one of my Local Hobby Shops in Central Florida and I reported it to share with the rest.

I can not help it if people over react.

I am the one who has posted several Videos before the discovery of the Airfoil and when the Airfoil was discovered many placed all the pieces in place to explain why their models came in hard for landing should you allow the model to slow too much.

Again, I am so happy that you are finding it amusing and glad you are enjoying yourself
Old 08-14-2010, 09:38 PM
samolot
My Feedback: (14)

Mine should be getting here on monday... I also took the dive and ordered the new 45C 11.1V 2200mAh thunder power lipo for it so I can fly ever so frequently....
Old 08-14-2010, 09:51 PM
99GrandTouring

well guys I have about 50 hard flights on mine and its showing some signs of fatigue...

When I say hard I mean hard... Full speed snaps at full deflections I mean things that when you see you wonder how it doesn't fly apart.

I am trying to eliminate it from rolling / snapping to the right when you give it hard elevator input, now I know some is normal but it seems excessive on mine, so I was looking into reinforcing the horizontal stabilizer with carbon rod and I noticed theres already a slot in the bottom of it,,, BUT NO ROD?? is this normal or did they forget to put it in mine?
I even got a flashlight and shined through the foam and there is nothing in there,, its just a slot.. They have a couple drops of glue placed about an inch apart like to keep the gap closed but nothing else...

it was then I noticed my vertical stabilizer was almost cracked through..
The crack runs from the rear most screw hole for the horiz stab reinforcement forward to the where the bottom of vertical stab meets the fuse. This is on the right side of the plane..
its not all the way through but it does look like a stress / flex crack and is about 1/2 way through the thickness of the vert stab.
I opened it up enough to put some slow cure in it and have it drying / tapped in place, might put a small strip of fiberglass over it but advise you all to keep an eye on it if you do alot of stick banging...
Old 08-14-2010, 10:21 PM
franke21m
My Feedback: (31)

I purchased this plane today and I think its alright. I was landing it on a 80X80 ft pad and it took a couple tries but if you start low it will land in a slow harrier with power on in about 30 ft. The owner of the local hobby shop told me to chech horrizon hobbies updated cg. He said the manual is incorrect after testing some more. I can not find it, but if anyone knows what it is please post it. supposed to be a better cg setting for slow and low flying.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:11 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: guapoman2000

Samolot,

If you are planning to fly this model like a Sport plane then, I do not see any reason why you will not be satisfied.

I do not know about ''upgrades'' however, there are a couple of Product Alert Bulletins up in Horizon Hobby web site that you might want to take a look at first:
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Bul...ProdID=PKZ5175

and lets not forget the wheel pant addendum:
http://www.parkzone.com/ProdInfo/Fil...t_Addendum.pdf

I would personally look at these first before I go looking for upgrades, IMHO.

Carlos

Did someone ask?
Old 08-15-2010, 12:41 AM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: franke21m

I purchased this plane today and I think its alright. I was landing it on a 80X80 ft pad and it took a couple tries but if you start low it will land in a slow harrier with power on in about 30 ft. The owner of the local hobby shop told me to chech horrizon hobbies updated cg. He said the manual is incorrect after testing some more. I can not find it, but if anyone knows what it is please post it. supposed to be a better cg setting for slow and low flying.
Congrats on your new purchase!

As noted in my previous post, it contains the information you are asking for.....Horizon Hobby Product Alerts and other items....

However, if you like to go deep into the Airfoil stuff in case you do not like the manner in it's flying characteristics and like to read up on the issue with more detail....then, go to:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=157

There is discussion on this Airfoil issue over in the FACEBOOK area:
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...934#post104145
Old 08-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Billydelrio

Hi all, this is my first post at RC Universe.
I picked up the Extra 300 yesterday and then found this thread today. Good infromation. I looked at the wing tips and sure enough the top flattens out. My landing skills are not good at all, so I doubt Iwould have ever noticed the airfoil issue.
I will reverse the wings and follow the modifications on the HH site.
Thanks.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:09 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to try it without reversing the wings. I have been flying mine since it came out with no problem. I land with the motor off and flare at the end. I do not move the battery all the way up as they are saying now. When I tried with the battery pushed forward, all it wanted to do was dive and landing was very difficult.

bob
Old 08-16-2010, 09:13 AM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: BelAirBob

You may want to try it without reversing the wings. I have been flying mine since it came out with no problem. I land with the motor off and flare at the end. I do not move the battery all the way up as they are saying now. When I tried with the battery pushed forward, all it wanted to do was dive and landing was very difficult.

bob

Bob,

Thanks for that post as this makes total sense. If you change the Airfoil of an Airplane then, the characteristics of it's flight changes and there is perhaps no need to move the battery pack forward as the intended design of the model is maintained.

I would dare to say that the pushing the battery pack fully Forward (per HH recommendations) was to keep the model with ample "Airspeed" (assuming with the reverse Airfoil condition) so, it does not slam down hard on landing but, I bet it sure makes the landing even that harder with normal Elevator travel.

Carlos
Old 08-17-2010, 12:15 AM
BjornBaal
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: 99GrandTouring
I am trying to eliminate it from rolling / snapping to the right when you give it hard elevator input, now I know some is normal but it seems excessive on mine, so I was looking into reinforcing the horizontal stabilizer with carbon rod and I noticed theres already a slot in the bottom of it,,, BUT NO ROD?? is this normal or did they forget to put it in mine?
I even got a flashlight and shined through the foam and there is nothing in there,, its just a slot.. They have a couple drops of glue placed about an inch apart like to keep the gap closed but nothing else...
What size carbon rod did you put in there? I'm looking at doing this to mine as well since I"m dealing with the snap problem as well.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:41 PM
boogerhead

Just got mine, flys great! Airfoil is not an issue; shape makes little difference for a plane this small.

The snaping out of loops is caused by too much backpressure on the stick; reinforcing the elevator won't help. Just adjust your technique.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:06 PM
phillipmorris

I agree, it flys terrific... love mine ... Mine is set for a touch of down elevator else all normal. Take off is smooth on landing rises just at the end of a deadstick before touch down, easy to land.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:38 PM
t57f100

just adding my own 2 cents here but i tried to switch the wings like stated here but maybe i missed something my wings droop when reveresed does anybody see this .the only thing i did noticed on landing that is was more stable.if you were to take the wings out of the holders that they sit in at the root where it meets the fuse and switched the roots of the wwings then installed them again with the correct dehidral you would have a good shot at it.but atlast i nned a new fuse for me.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:20 AM
mazjag

anybody have an idea of some good settings for low rate on a DX6I...I had the elevator and aileron set at 80% and no expo on my first flight...It still is too touchy compared to my T28..pushrods are in the stock holes.. How low can I go?? Planes like this are so much more sensitive to elevator input than what I`m used to flying. any help would be great...thx..Jason
Old 09-18-2010, 06:33 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I set low rates to 50% and 50% expo. If you start here, the plane should fly fine. I say don;t waste your time trying to reverse the wings. It seems like a big mess and I think it flies fine the way it is. The battery location is sort of critical. I do not agree with the new guideline from HH. If you have too far forward, it will want to nose down all the time. If the velcro band covers the back of the battery, you are pretty close to a good CG. Hope this helps

I just got back from flying mine. I flipped it on landing and broke the vertical fin, but some Gorilla glue will fix it right up. I am a glutton for punishment and still have the wheel pants on in grass.

Bel Air Bob
Old 09-20-2010, 01:44 PM
guapoman2000

ORIGINAL: boogerhead

Just got mine, flys great! Airfoil is not an issue; shape makes little difference for a plane this small.

The snaping out of loops is caused by too much backpressure on the stick; reinforcing the elevator won't help. Just adjust your technique.

Yes, some are worse than others and given the following example, Dave the owner of this particular PZ Extra 300 has had no need to flip the wing assemblies upside down.

Here are a couple of pictures:

Proud Owner Dave!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.