Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Power problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 02:49 PM
nitromandh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power problems

Hey. I have the Flyzone Cessna 182 skylane. It's the smaller, red one. Right now it has a 380 electric brushed motor with a Electrifly 7-cell 8.4V 1100mAh battery pack. It doesn't have enough power for my liking. Does anyone know a cheap, but powerful set up? I only want to replace either the battery or the speed control, but if I have to I can replace to whatever you suggest to me.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 AM
johnpcunningham

Default RE: Power problems

There are three possible solutions:

1) LIPO battery 7.4V
The lipo battery is capable of more current and lighter weight. You may need to add some lead weight to balance your plane. Although the battery is lower voltage (7.4v vs 8.6v), the lipo has lower internal resistance and is capable of more current. You will need a LIPO charger if you dont have one. check out www.unitedhobbies.com for some cheap batteries and Turnigy chargers.

2) Brushless motor
If you wish to keep you same electronics, something like the EZ-ESC with a brushless motor would give you the most performance gain. You would be adding a brushless ESC, a brushless motor, and the EZ-ESC. The cost is higher but the performance would be very high.

3) Larger brushed motor
A motor like a 480 size motor will add some performance, but not as much as you would think. Back in the day of flying the Aerobird challenger, changing from the 370 size motor to the 480 size motor did help - I would say about a 20% improvement in power. This in combination with the LIPO battery would help.

JC

Old 06-01-2010, 09:07 PM
nitromandh

Sorry I have written back so late, but I've been away for a little while. When I was away, I was searching online, and I don't know what kind of brushless motor I would want in the airplane. I know with a brushed to brushless conversion you need a new esc. Does anyone know I good setup?
Old 06-05-2010, 08:02 AM
nitromandh

Does anyone know a set up?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:15 PM
nitromandh

Fine, Does anyone know a set up to replace a 380 brushed motor?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:14 AM
mikekosatka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Hobbyking.com and look at their complete sets (esc+ brushless). As long as you are ot in a big hurry, they have GREAT selection and cheap prices. They have complete specs. for everything they sell, plus buyer reviews and comments.
Now all you have to do is a little research!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:18 AM
mikekosatka

ORIGINAL: johnpcunningham

There are three possible solutions:

Actually there IS a simple solution, just not necessarily the best. Go to a 8 cell pack. More volts= more power. Just don't overdo it and check your CoG with the new pack.
Brussless and LiPos are the best solution...just more money.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:35 AM
mikekosatka

I just popped onto Hobbyking.com and a good combo for you would be the Towerpro BM2408-21t/18a bec/ 1047 prop combo...for $14.49 plus shipping. You would also need a 3s Lipo. If you get the specs ( or simply weigh your 380, esc, and battery, that will tell you how much a replacement system should weigh to not have to worry about CoG. Subtract the weight from the specs of the new brushless and esc from the weight of the old motor, esc and battery, and that will give you the weight for the new LiPo. Then just look for a 3s LiPo that weighs close to what you need. Hobbyking carrys those also, very cheaply. Hope this helps
Old 06-17-2010, 10:29 PM
shaggy48

I have to agree with the suggested 8-cell battery approach because I have been down this road myself. The solution of changing to brushless is overrated. Not only do you have to change the motor and esc. You may have to modify the mount and buy at least two lipo batteries and a lipo charger. The performance you will get from all this will not be worth the cost and effort.

Shaggy