Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Where to Fly in Broward County?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Where to Fly in Broward County?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:29 PM
hodgejr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to Fly in Broward County?

Hello this is my 1st post here. (x-post from supercubclub).

I'm looking for tips as to parks or open fields in Broward County where I can launch my plane (this will be my first time at it)

I'm from Fort Lauderdale, FL, more specifically, Oakland Park near the intersection of Commercial and I-95.

I'm planning on purchasing a Super Cub LP next weekend. Problem is, I'm not exactly sure where to launch it. Most of the parks here have trees (good thing I guess, considering how dang hot it is now). I have yet to see any real open spaces around here where I can launch without concern of the cub flying into a tree or structure.

I know there's a professional R/C strip way out west but as a newby I don't want to mix it up with the pros out there, besides, it's a hassle to drive all the way out there.

Any south floridians here that can share a nice open spot? Ultimately, I really want to get the floats kit as there's several nice lakes to fly from, but I want to get practice on land first.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Lnewqban

Default RE: Where to Fly in Broward County?

Welcome to the RCU forums, hodgejr!!

Since they fly electric models and sailplanes only, I believe this club will suit your interest better:

http://www.vistaviewflyers.org/

This other club, not too far North, is for slope soaring, and some memebers fly electric park fliers:

http://65.6.189.224/PHFlyers/

There are two more clubs West of the county, but they also fly combustion engine models:

http://www.bcrca.org/

http://www.palmbeachrc.com/

You will find a lot of help in your first steps at any of these clubs.

Never fly too close to any local airport.

For insurance purposes, check this option offered by AMA:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/parkflyer.aspx

Regards!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:24 PM
hodgejr

Thanks much for the welcome.

I do have knowledge of those clubs, but I would rather fly by myself, uninstructed and without relying on groups or associations to exercise this activity (I understand the consequences of doing this uninstructed). I've seen so much on youtube of indendent flyers taking off from open fields, parks, even parking lots. The problem is, if you see the link below, open fields are far and between, since we're located on a narrow strip between the sea and the Everglades and urban sprawl has eaten up every last parcel of open spaces. There are lot of lakes but I don't want to start out on floats, no way.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...33309&t=h&z=14

Old 06-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Lnewqban

I know your situation, I work in that area frequently.
I started flying little free flight models at local parks with my son, when he was little, ............and I had to climb more than one tree.

The model you plan to buy is small enough to fly well in any baseball or soccer field.
Those are the only options in your area, other than the mentioned clubs.

I know a RC pilot who lives in your area.
Although he is very busy, he has extensive experience in electric models, and he will help you if he has a chance.
He flies at Pompano Hill.
I will ask him to contact you via PM or E-mail.

If you allow me, I would like to insist on the convenience of having a first hand help during the first flights.
Those clubs are associations of some really amazing people (not everyone, of course), who are more than eager to help any beginner, even if he is a non-member.
Just by watching others fly and asking questions, I have learned much more that what I knew when I started.

Best luck!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:29 AM
hodgejr

That is really nice of you. I guess I've been a little gung-ho about this, seeing so much writup on the Cub and how easy it is to fly, but I also recognize how easy it is to get discouraged if you keep crashing the thing over and over! I don't live that from the Hill, perhaps I could swing by there some weekend and talk to the flyers there (although sailplanes are not really what I'm looking for). Though it would be nice to touch base with someone before I head out there.

By the way, close to the Hill is Quiet Waters park and it seems like there's some nice open space there, at least for launching. Do you know if anyone's flown out of there?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...10611&t=h&z=17
Old 06-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Lnewqban

I have e-mailed my friend about your needs.

You don't need to crash, all you need is to leave the model alone, and it will almost fly by itself.
Overcontrolling is a beginner's problem.

Before that, either you or somebody with experience needs to balance and trim the model properly.

http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=8&ID=141

The functioning of the whole radio system is to be checked at least before the first flight of each flying day.

Call before heading for the Hill, because I believe they have a locked entrance.
Most of the guys there fly electric park fliers as well as sailplanes.

I have never been at the Quiet Waters park, but it seems to be suitable for your cub.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:25 PM
hodgejr

ORIGINAL: LNEWQBAN

You don't need to crash...
Now that's funny right there...

I didn't mention it but I'm actually a private pilot, albeit out of currency for a few years. I've read on other forums that my flying experience would actually weigh against me and it's better to start from zero than have piloting knowledge, don't know how true that is. I wanted to take up this hobby as a way to pursue flying on much cheaper level, since I had to clip my wings (can't afford $100/hr any longer).

I called Warrick's in Plantation and flat out asked them about park flying locations but the rep was very surly about it and gave me no other choice but Markham Park. Sounds like an agenda of some sort.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:41 AM
Flyboy ED

Hi HODGEJR, I feel that I am in the same boat like you. Would like to find a site that is not exactly an RC Club. Have you had any luck in finding a site, say near Broward since your last post?
Would appreciate it, Flyboy ED
Old 04-28-2019, 01:16 PM
WildcatF4F

Default Re Where to fly in Browsed County

Check out Markum Park. Maybe it's Markem. It's in Broward County, near Alligator Alley. I haven't been down there in about three years, but I believe they still fly R/C down there. It took me about 20 minutes to get there from Sunrise by car.

Last edited by WildcatF4F; 04-28-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:41 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WildcatF4F
Check out Markum Park. Maybe it's Markem. It's in Broward County, near Alligator Alley. I haven't been down there in about three years, but I believe they still fly R/C down there. It took me about 20 minutes to get there from Sunrise by car.
Okay, even though I live in East Orlando, Florida, I do frequent this RC Club at SUNRISE, FLORIDA. Been a member for a little over 2 years now and go as much as my schedule permits and while I visit family down South Florida.

Here's the Official Web Site:
Home

http://www.mppapilots.com/about-us.html
Old 09-28-2019, 03:56 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgejr
Thanks much for the welcome.

I do have knowledge of those clubs, but I would rather fly by myself, uninstructed and without relying on groups or associations to exercise this activity (I understand the consequences of doing this uninstructed). I've seen so much on youtube of indendent flyers taking off from open fields, parks, even parking lots. The problem is, if you see the link below, open fields are far and between, since we're located on a narrow strip between the sea and the Everglades and urban sprawl has eaten up every last parcel of open spaces. There are lot of lakes but I don't want to start out on floats, no way.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...33309&t=h&z=14
D.A.!!
Old 09-28-2019, 04:37 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by WildcatF4F
Markham Park