Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone P-51D vs BF-109G

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:37 PM
satl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone P-51D vs BF-109G

What are the differences? I can't decide which one to get.

Which one will fly better in wind? The only plane I have is a Sukhoi Su-26m, which can't fly in wind. The rest of my toys have been helis. I'm having so much fun with my Sukhoi, that I want a bigger one to take out now, where I don't have to be so concerned if it's windy or not.

I see the 109G has a 4" larger wingspan, and they both have brushless motors.

I don't have a runway, so I'll be hand launching.

Do they both do rolls and loops the same as well?

Should I wait for the Extra 300 to come out for any reason?

Thanks,
Shane
Old 06-05-2010, 01:37 PM
satl

Default RE: Parkzone P-51D vs BF-109G

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I just realized the BF-109G comes stock with a rudder servo installed, and the P-51D does not.

That would settle it for me right there. I want the rudder servo.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:40 PM
fmw

The P51 has no rudder at all. No knife edge flying for that bird. Yes, youcan modify the plane to cut the tail to create a rudder but there are jillions of P51 models on the market. Iwould just choose anotherone. In your case, I would go with the Messerschmitt or the Trojan. I have both. Excellent flyers.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:30 PM
satl

ORIGINAL: fmw

The P51 has no rudder at all. No knife edge flying for that bird. Yes, you can modify the plane to cut the tail to create a rudder but there are jillions of P51 models on the market. I would just choose another one. In your case, I would go with the Messerschmitt or the Trojan. I have both. Excellent flyers.
Does the Trojan T-28 come with a rudder servo installed?

How do the two fly compared to each other?

Decisions, decisions. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-06-2010, 10:48 AM
mad web tv scientist

satl, hope I'm not too late to the party. I own two (2) 109s and two (2) 51s and can't imagine life without them, they are both super airplanes. That said, I highly recommend the 51 over the 109 in your case because of the smaller, lighter, and more damage resistant qualities of the 51. I would also recommend the T-28 over the 109. Please check the big 51 and 109 threads for more information.

Hope this helps.

madwebtvscientist [sm=cry_smile.gif] [sm=lol.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:18 AM
BEAR-AvHistory

The T-28 has a rudder & is the easiest to fly of the three, the 109 the hardest. They are all foamies & still quite light but a good pilot can do well in the wind with a T-28 & a new pilot will have more trouble. I still stay under 8 or so mph.

There are probably 20 or 30 T-28's at our club & have seen them fly when they needed to keep the props under power so as not to be blown backwards down the runway.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:25 PM
fmw

ORIGINAL: satl

ORIGINAL: fmw

The P51 has no rudder at all. No knife edge flying for that bird. Yes, youcan modify the plane to cut the tail to create a rudder but there are jillions of P51 models on the market. Iwould just choose anotherone. In your case, I would go with the Messerschmitt or the Trojan. I have both. Excellent flyers.
Does the Trojan T-28 come with a rudder servo installed?

How do the two fly compared to each other?

Decisions, decisions. Thanks for the help!
Yes, the T-28 is a full 4 channel model. It is a pretty good aerobat. It's major problem is an inability to roll on axis so it takes some skill to make smooth rolls. It will do all thestandard maneuvers prettywell. It is very responsive and fun to fly. The Messerschmitt is a better aerobat with less coupling than the T-28. It has less of the self leveling characteristics of the T-28 so one would consider it a slightly more difficult plane to fly. The landing gear is inadequate for a bumpy grass field like the one I fly on. However it is easy to hand launch and belly land if you want to fly it without landing gear.

Personally, I think the ParkzoneT-28 is a magical design. It does more things right than most models. It is an easy one to recommend to anyone. I would probably recommend it above the other PZ warbirds for most rc flyers. Gotta have an image. Here's my T-28

Old 06-08-2010, 10:21 AM
DenverJayhawk

If you plan to handlaunch, you may want to consider the P51 since it was designed without landing gear and intended to belly land. The P51 also comes with the pushrod hardware for the rudder. All you do is simply cut the foam around the rudder, screw on the control horn, and add the servo. The total time it takes to add rudder is about 5 minutes.

I haven't flown the 109 or T28, but I can't imagine any of them perform knife edge flight very well. The Mustang has quite a bit of roll coupling when applying opposite rudder and I would guess the T28 and 109 do as well. I can tell you that there's a ton of T28s at our club field as well as a few 109s and my bone stock P51 is easily the quickest in level flight.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:02 PM
mad web tv scientist

[8D] Denver, I had the same idea about the knife edge ability of the 109 as you but I just had to test it out in a knife edge dual between the GUNFIGHTER and my lightest stock Bf 109G Messerschmitt. I did remove the unnecessary weight and drag of the tail wheel and replaced it with a fake "retracted tail wheel" for a "Bf 109F look."

Evidently the light weight and good power to weight to weight ratio of the 109 makes knife edge flight very practical. My ME can do it at less than full throttle. In today's hot weather it will be interesting to see how well it can do. I'm a little surprised someone else hasn't reported this information.

As already mentioned I recommend the P-51 be bought first by new fighter pilot enthusiasts.

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:07 AM
mad web tv scientist

KNIFE EDGE MESSERSCHMITT

First attempt in the 80 degree sea level air running a heavy 2200 mAh 3 cell LiPo failed to produce recognizable knife edge flight. This was the first flight of this 109 using my new DX7 that needed a lot of adjustments. However I was shaken by the poor knife edge performance.

Dialed in plus/minus 16 degrees of rudder defection on Low Rate with 20% Expo and used a stock 1800 mAh battery and was able to enjoy obvious adequate knife edge flight for several yards at a time. I still haven't developed much rudder skill yet. My four point rolls consist of pitching the nose up with elevator before starting, holding knife edge only briefly before going inverted, pitching the nose up while inverted, rolling to knife edge briefly and finishing with the last rolling segment to level flight. Spectators can't tell that I don't use top rudder partly because I fly so high for safety.

Both my rudder equipped PZ Spitfire and the GUNFIGHTER definitely fly knife edge more convincingly than the 109. Just like the Mustang I found that the elevator deflection angles had to be increased to 15 degrees in the warmer air.

The excitement of fight makes concentration on refining flying skills difficult. The important thing is the fun we can have with our machines as we are challenged to push the envelop, ours and the planes.