Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Parkzones New Warbird F4F Wildcat

Well look like it is out on the other side of the world.

http://www.modelflight.com.au/produc...NF-6214-6.html

Let the threads start definitely rarely modeled and it looks nice

Pricing will be $159.99 PNP, $189.99 BNF.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bz77140.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	1457618  

RE: Parkzones New Warbird F4F Wildcat

Assuming the global economy as we "know it today" (?) is still at least somewhat intact by the time the Wildcat becomes "available" (?) it will be my very next fighter procurement. After posting this I am directing my FHS (Favorite Hobby Shop) to keep a sharp look out for any Wildcats that might appear on the Horizon!

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find a much vaunted Zero not very far behind. Yes, I will capture one of those too!

CHECK SIX!

madwebtvscientist [sm=cry_smile.gif] [sm=lol.gif]

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like it!
    first to own the Mini Slash!
    Amsoil Dealer.. 6XL Revo, Baja 5B, Losi8T, PS295, UL-1, AQ MC, OM29, DF33

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wildcats are already on the water, should be available mid-June.

David
    Horizon Hobby
    David Eichstedt, Horizon Hobby
    Product Development - Hangar 9, E-flite, Blade, ParkZone, HobbyZone, Evolution, ZP, etc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

July maybe??

I hope so.

srt10, hey there brother Amsoil Dealer, ATF works great for motor bearings and other places where lube is useful. Have you tried it?

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist

I hope so.

srt10, hey there brother Amsoil Dealer, ATF works great for motor bearings and other places where lube is useful. Have you tried it?

Yes, ATF works great! I use it on my Brushless Revo all the time

[8D] Amsoil, thought you might find the next link interesting and possibly useful. I ran into a servo problem in addition to creating an unfortunate structural problem that I have not yet corrected. I really hate adding weight, especially when it is my fault that I have to do so. I also clarified my current direction in modeling as a result of all the excitement with the FRONT YARD FIGHTER.

FABULOUS FRONT YARD FIGHTER FLYING FUN REPORT
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_91...tm.htm#9282912

Although I have no doubt that WD 40 would solve my servo problem as indicated on the thread, I plan to pick up a couple of cans of MP next time I make a trip to the warehouse. The super slippery dry lubricant and non staining carrier shouldn't make it necessary to remove the servos to clean them up.

My major problem at the moment is the urgency forced upon us by the culture war. Heroic killer fighter plane action must take precedence at all costs in an all out fight to the finish. Winston Churchill's famous "victory quote" would seem to be appropriate here - please check the big Spitfire thread for the most "Churchill quotes." You will also find a very entertaining and knowledgeable Brit there that I hope to meet in person when I invade the British Empire.

Yes, we have ourselves a "splendid little war" to fight here.

THE WILDCATS HAVE LANDED!

They're here! My favorite hobby shop called a little while ago and I told the man to be sure to put my name on one and I would be by to pick it up tomorrow. Found out that battery supplies are out in three (3) of my most visited area hobby shops. I hope that situation clears up reasonably soon. Fortunately, I have a large enough battery stockpile to keep me in the fight for as long as will be needed for my missions.

SCRAMBLE!

madwebtvscientist [sm=cry_smile.gif] [sm=lol.gif] ____________________________________________ Modeling Promoting Bog: http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...g&memid=266748 Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sweet!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Personally, I won't be getting one. I think it's too much money for what you get.
    I can buy a PNP plane from HC like this for much less money and have just as much fun. And don't give me that "you get what you pay for crap, because that's the biggest line of BS that the retailers want you to believe. Just like AOL is training wheels for the internet, these planes are the same.
    But don't get me wrong. I love the PZ micro planes, they are the only thing they have priced right.

Here are some examples.
    I have this one and it is an AWESOME plane and very solid!!
    http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...otor/Servo/ESC

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s.../_4_Servos_EPO

For guys like me that like to stretch their hobby dollar as much as possible, but still get a great plane, these are great examples

If it\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s not broke, fix it until it is

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

Personally, I won't be getting one. I think it's too much money for what you get.
    I can buy a PNP plane from HC like this for much less money and have just as much fun. And don't give me that ''you get what you pay for crap, because that's the biggest line of BS that the retailers want you to believe. Just like AOL is training wheels for the internet, these planes are the same.
    But don't get me wrong. I love the PZ micro planes, they are the only thing they have priced right.

Here are some examples.
    I have this one and it is an AWESOME plane and very solid!!

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s.../_4_Servos_EPO

For guys like me that like to stretch their hobby dollar as much as possible, but still get a great plane, these are great examples

I'll take the parkzone, I like that bird better

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To each his own. Your pocket must be deeper than mine.
    But then again, I'm into all aspects of this hobby and I'm supporting my son in this hobby also.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now if they made the F4F, then I would consider

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not that picky, if I wanted the F4F, one of these would do well enough for me.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...EPO_Plug-n-Fly

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...EPO_Plug-n-Fly

well I'm a big fan of the P40s but this one is on the small side and only a 2s setup
    the P47 is a little bigger but yet smaller than the parkzone and has only one Aileron servo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The single aileron servo is a super simple fix
    But can't do anything about the size

How about this one.

http://www.bananahobby.com/1943.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The single aileron servo is a super simple fix
    But can't do anything about the size

How about this one.

http://www.bananahobby.com/1943.html
    that one looks like the HK version but with a brushed motor
    good finds

WILD ABOUT THE WILDCAT

Flew all of my favorite maneuvers on the very first powered flight of the F4F today. It will definitely accompany the war weary P-51 or a 109 on my modeling promoting demo missions. It is a very beautiful little machine even my wife finds it to be very attractive.

It was slightly tail heavy after assembling it in the car while using the car battery to charge the stock Wildcat battery. To get some quick flying time I could have added weight to the nose but taking weight out aft of the CG was more fun. I used sharpened aluminum tubing and a couple of different knife blades to eliminate the "dead wood." When the plane balanced in the middle of the recommended CG range she was determined fit for flight.

First flights were hand launch gliding without the prop. This provided confidence in good dead stick/slow cruising speed elevator adjustments. It also provided confidence that there were no unnoticed warps or lateral CG issues. Gripping the main wheels provides great hand launch confidence. Like the Mustang about 2/3s power works very well and power to weight performance is similar to the P-51. Control ability seems better than the 51 but I need more back to back tests to be sure.

So far it is my quietest WWII fighter which means it will have to fly after my more attention getting machines fly first.

She is a very fun and unique looking plane in the air, I'm looking forward to enjoying a lot of flying with it.

madwebtvscientist [sm=cry_smile.gif] [sm=lol.gif] ____________________________________________ Modeling Promoting Bog: http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...g&memid=266748 Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

Oh what fun it is to demonstrate the F4F's capabilities to new modeling prospects! I am now thoroughly addicted to aerobatics capable fighters. It has taken over two years of stomach churning terror and determination, but it has finally become obvious that when it comes to flying I simply must now have a fighter fix.

My now standard recommendation for new prospects is to suggest the use of flight Sims as the possible fastest most cost effective way to learn to fly fighters. It is also educationally useful to have a computer handy for the inspiration provided by the scientific and historical information so readily available on the web.

The proven worst way to try to learn to fly is to try to fly a marginal flying airplane in too small of a space. I blame much of my demonstrable slow learning capability to the stubborn, ill advised neurotic inducing effects produced by all of the unnecessary disasters that could have been avoided had I used a more reasonable flight training system.

Oh yes, the Wildcat - it's purely subjective, of course, but at the moment there is something very special about flying that F4F. Balanced slightly ahead of the mid point of the recommended CG range using the stock battery makes it practical to use anything from little 800mAh 3 cell 25c LiPo batteries to a gargantuan 2200 mAh 3 cell Lipo battery. It is a very stable flying airplane. It's mid-wing plan form makes victory rolls very easy to perform without much elevator input to keep the flight path more or less straight. It's also easy to land without a wing tip snagging the ground, and with a proper flair it skids along very nicely on the fuselage.

Okay, now the down side that I discovered on my last of the six batteries flown yesterday while concentrating more on showing off than on proper piloting technique - the cowling cracked on the bottom on landing as a result of the lack of a proper flair - the only negative thing to happen all day, and in the presence of possible new modeling enthusiasts - not good.

I highly recommend that the cowl be reinforced. The bare minimum ought to consist of packing tape installed all the way around on the inside of the cowl. After cleaning the inside surface and roughing it up with sandpaper I used carbon fiber tow in addition to the fiberglass packing tape reinforcement. Now any landing I can walk away from should be a good landing.

One other tip that has been profoundly useful - glue a small diameter (I used 24 LB test FUSION SPIDERWIRE) to the bottom side of the battery hatch just ahead of the magnet. Make the line long enough so that a significant number of knots can be tied in the end of the line at a convenient point above the fuselage so that pulling up with finger pressure can force those gorilla magnets to let go. The Wildcat is designed to keep the battery cover on the plane come what may! My line looks like a realistic antenna with a little "ball" on the top.

One other little victory - power dives from high enough in 70 degree plus air can provide some sounds after all in spite of the F4F's draggy airframe.

FLY, FIGHT, AND WIN!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mad - is the 'Cat faster or slower than the Gunfighter?

Denver, the GUNFIGHTER is faster than the Wildcat. That might be why I find it so pleasurable to fly. The higher drag of the F4F is really noticeable in dive bombing attacks. In order to get a reasonably audible sound out of the Cat it is necessary to dive at full throttle straight down from high altitude. Whereas, the Mustang diving dead stick can easily sound off nicely from almost the very start of a dive.

The Wildcat handles turbulent winds up to 20 MPH well for me. I really don't like to fly anything in wind conditions any worse than that. Today, we (Lieutenant Commander Edward "Butch" O'Hare and I) sustained battle damage with me at the controls. Butch just went along for the ride. Today's fighter sweeps started with the use of maximum power and a hefty hand launch at about 20 degrees up angle into the turbulent winds. After returning to home base it was discovered that the day's action resulted in the loss of the mass balance on the left elevator, possibly hit during a low strafing pass (actually, it was probably caught in the high grass on the field). The ship is repaired now and ready to scramble into action at a moments notice.

Final control deflection angles on low rate under sea level conditions are: plus/minus 12 degrees for both ailerons and elevator, and plus/minus 15 degrees for the rudder.

The Wildcat has been fighting every day now since the shipment arrived here in the war zone and not a day too soon either. On the very day the F4F flew it's very first sortie the subject about the hero of the Battle of Britain, Winston Churchill, and his statue that was kicked out of the White House was seriously discussed in the media. The Spitfire thread deals with the original outrage against the regime when that dastardly act was originally perpetrated against America and Western Civilization. It has been great to be able to enjoy the additional quality weaponry and firepower that the Wildcat has been able to bring to the battle.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE! FLY, FIGHT, AND WIN!

Yesterday's missions proved the superior landing speed capabilities of the Wildcat when flying over a small space in winds up to 17 MPH. The noticeably higher drag of the F4F helps control the air speed so well that the chances of aborted landings due to overshooting desired touch down spots is greatly reduced when compared to the 51, the "109F," or the Spit with their more streamlined shapes. If the cowling were stronger the Cat would be my recommendation as a "first fighter." For anyone who wouldn't mind reinforcing the cowl it is my hands down choice for new fighter pilots. It really is a fabulous flying machine!

The Wildcat Instructions Manuel has some great advise about LiPos. Do not peak charge LiPos if the voltage is above 12.2 volts.

I glued small round "Velcro hub caps" on the center of my front wheels that now permits a very secure grip for maximum thrust hand launches which are very useful and confidence building in turbulent windy weather. I won't have to be repainting anything like I have to do with other fighters.

FLY, FIGHT, AND WIN!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've over shot the runway with the Gunfighter several times, especially since going to the heavier 2200 batts. I know exactly what you mean.

[8D] Denver, great to see you continuing to hang in there. It's possible I may have unintentionally overstated the case with the Wildcat vs. the GUNFIGHTER. Part of the difficulty here is the subjectivity and unnoticed intuitive improvement of flying skills. There is no doubt that the principles are true. The F4F seems a lot like my motor powered gliders with its extra drag working to slow the plane down for easier landings and I am sure that in mild conditions that this extra drag characteristic of the Wildcat is useful for us "newer" pilots when trying to land in small areas.

Saturday, I actually enjoyed flying in the 96 degree F, turbulent 20 MPH wind conditions in a demonstration for some close friend modeling prospects. The only potentially dangerous situation was the heat of the batteries after around 4.5 minutes of fighter maneuvering at high throttle settings. The 51 demonstrated it's toughness when I foolishly attempted a low power hand launch during what I thought was a lull in the wind speed - never again will I ever intentionally try such a dumb stunt! Fortunately the torque roll and resulting cartwheel maneuver on the ground damaged nothing - that I could see. The ship flew beautifully after its next hand launch.

The really fun interesting phenomena was the landing approaches with the two planes. As they are throttled back during their down wind path on the way to land the ground speed is 20 MPH faster than the true air speed. As they started into the turn for an upwind approach I instinctively throttled up a little to deal with the turbulence. At this point my spectators seeing about a 40 MPH reduction in ground speed with the planes seemingly barely hanging in the air got really excited about the possibility of an impending crash. No problem, by adjusting the throttle while keeping the nose pointed slightly down, landings close by were a cinch every time. I was unable to tell the difference between the two planes landing performance in back to back landings under the prevailing conditions.

Keep 'em flying.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast