Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Official HZ Champ!! & Micro Flyers thread

Yes, all my family was healthy and alive and happy
    If it\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s not broke, fix it until it is

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wheelnut,

That's great!!
    If you don\'\'t like it, Don\'\'t Fly It

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Reddog,

I'm sorry you didnt get what you wanted.[]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yippieeeeeeeee!!! Got to fly for a few minutes today!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The weather sucks, I wanna move to a place where theres no rain, wind, or snow. LOL!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have some questions about the Champ which I have not been able to find on this forum. Can anyone help me out?
    Is there any sort of low battery warning for the transmitter?
    What kind of range should I expect?
    Does the HZ Champ use the same battery as the Playmate and Albatross? As far as that goes, the same type of battery as most of the micros?

Thanks
    Ed

Hi everyone, i was thinking about getting the HZ champ and everything i have read about it is good but i noticed that it has a battery charger that runs on batteries. Could i get something to charge the batteries off the wall power? Also whats the worst crash people have had with these? because i want to know how durable they are. Thanks everyone

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is no low battery warning on the Champ tx. The prop stops, the control surfaces still respond, if you bring the throttle all the way down it will then throttle up again but you are past the low voltage cutoff and risk damaging the battery, but you can safely fly it for 30 more seconds to get it back to your backyard.... I have it bound to my DX6i with the timer set for 6 minutes and can ussually get to ten. I stick to 6 though if I am in my backyard and overflying the neighbors and neighborhood. At the park one no wind/light wind day I kept it in the air for 30 minutes on a 150 mAh battery. I think it comes with a 120mAh but the 130/150/160's that come with many other ultra micro's will keep it in the air longer. There are several different ac chargers you can use with it. I snapped a wing in half doing a quick hard loop, and glued it and taped right back on. New wing is on the porch, But repaired wing has held up for 2 weeks since the 24 hour glue repair. They are very durable unless you fly it nose first power on into objects, then you start bending or loosening the prop shaft....
    DX6i/DX8,BlademSR/SR120/mCPx,HZ Champ/Super Cub LP, PZ P-51D/T-28D, Radian,2801Pro/V120D02/4F200/V450,Phoenix 3.0/RF4.5/5.5,F

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rotorbroke,

I do the same thing you do. I use a timer to time my flights on my Champ, Since it doesn't have a low batt warning alert.

Firebird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Had nice little flight with the Champ last week, Pretty neat to see it fly in light wind.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Get the hang of it in mild winds, then keep upping the wind speed you fly it in. I've flown mine in 15-20 mph winds. Upwind it will crawl forward, hover, or fly backwards. Downwind it will take off like a rocket. Like the Little Engine that Could, turn it back into the wind and it will claw it's way back forward. Get brave enough and put her up high, cut the throttle and just soar.
    If the wind starts to carry it away, dive for the ground and then zoom right back up, no throttle.

I flew today till I was tired. One battery, couple of circuits to get it up in the air, then cut the throttle and cruised. Came home tossed the battery on the charger, and it read 3.78 volts.
    And that's on the stock battery. Never even used the spares
    Missing Man Formation, Looking heavenward you can't help but shed a tear, mournful, lonesome, a hole that screams out at you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glacier Girl,

That's cool, Yeah I'm gonna keeping flying in light wind until I feel more comfortable, and then I'm gonna try upping it. Sounds like you had great fun.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey gang, just read all 6 pages. I Just purchased my HZ Champ, wished it said ChampII, lol.

I ordered at HZ with a free battery (150mah). I purchased a spare propeller kit (2), shaft. 2 lipo 150mah, 2 160mah. 132.00 shipped out fast today Free shipping their carrier choice (9.00 my choice).

I am New, not to Rc.

I am trying to be in a relaxe state, and enjoy myself after a hard days work week day, weekend etc. a hour, or two.

I may have some questions to ask while I am waiting for the fun to start.

1 12vdc lipo charger or am I better off not worrying? any links to one keep it reasonable.

2. 150mah gets you shorter fly time, 160 gets you longer fly time. Or it gets you faster fly? The 6 batterries that I have should get me unlimted flytime, correct one hour. or way more.

3. 808 hd keychain a steal of a deal. will be placed onboard, later when I master, I hope, you know it is going on day one. You are saying to keep in body the video or tear apart. I may be placing in otehr places.

4 grass, or land , what would be best with wheels keeping stock, or getting something like the Slow stick wheels, and links or mods for this. I am sure the area i am at is broken pavement black tar, as well grass uncut, and sand. thank god no more snow . in the North east here.

5. would it be advisable to tape the wing if its the front only, or all out. if a wing can be had would a larger or wider wing be better?

I thank you all, and the members who directed me to my Purchase, a 132.00 plus is a fair price. I believe only items I need to purchase are glue, a spare wing kit, and nothing more. I feel that I should be able to fly this with my eyes close . This will be loads of fun, reviewing, watching and reading.

Do your research, homework, and compare, get advice and sleep on it. you'll be extremely happy of your decision. and I am sure I am.

Thanks FISHYCOMICS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FishyComics,

With 6 six batteries, You should get a very long flight time. I fly mine at a school using the track as my runway. Its a little bumpy, but my champ does ok. I only have the stock battery right now, but I get good flight times out of it. I have not taped my champ. It's so light I believe the tape may make it heavy. I could be wrong, i'm not too sure. I have seen videos on Youtube where guys put the 808 Hd keychain cam on the bottom of the Fuselage. They seem to do very well flying with the 808 attached. Overall it's a very relaxing and fun little plane to fly. I really think you are going to enjoy every moment you fly the Champ especially with the 808 keychain cam.

Firebird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Firebird.

My Plane will arrive or have arrived by now if others read later.

Batterries and HZ batt charger, I am sure will be fine. I have a feild, it has a landing pad sand grass, and all the obsticals in the World. GUess we'll see if others jump in, and advise on the tape. 808 filming . it is great to capture that moment. we'll see soon how it goes.

I will beshopping for spare parts, a wing, tail, kit, and fuselage, best to have these spare parts, as well.

I thank you for your response. happy flying. march 13, 2011 not a flying day here lol.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fishycomics

Hey gang, just read all 6 pages. I Just purchased my HZ Champ, wished it said ChampII, lol.

I ordered at HZ with a free battery (150mah). I purchased a spare propeller kit (2), shaft. 2 lipo 150mah, 2 160mah. 132.00 shipped out fast today Free shipping their carrier choice (9.00 my choice).

I am New, not to Rc.

I am trying to be in a relaxe state, and enjoy myself after a hard days work week day, weekend etc. a hour, or two.

I may have some questions to ask while I am waiting for the fun to start.

1 12vdc lipo charger or am I better off not worrying? any links to one keep it reasonable.

2. 150mah gets you shorter fly time, 160 gets you longer fly time. Or it gets you faster fly? The 6 batterries that I have should get me unlimted flytime, correct one hour. or way more.

3. 808 hd keychain a steal of a deal. will be placed onboard, later when I master, I hope, you know it is going on day one. You are saying to keep in body the video or tear apart. I may be placing in otehr places.

4 grass, or land , what would be best with wheels keeping stock, or getting something like the Slow stick wheels, and links or mods for this. I am sure the area i am at is broken pavement black tar, as well grass uncut, and sand. thank god no more snow . in the North east here.

5. would it be advisable to tape the wing if its the front only, or all out. if a wing can be had would a larger or wider wing be better?

I thank you all, and the members who directed me to my Purchase, a 132.00 plus is a fair price. I believe only items I need to purchase are glue, a spare wing kit, and nothing more. I feel that I should be able to fly this with my eyes close . This will be loads of fun, reviewing, watching and reading.

Do your research, homework, and compare, get advice and sleep on it. you'll be extremely happy of your decision. and I am sure I am.

Thanks FISHYCOMICS

Sweet bird, you'll enjoy it.

Hobby King has some nice inexpensive chargers, get a gang block and you can do multiple packs at one time.

Think of your packs as gas tanks. The bigger the capacity the longer you fly, and the longer it will fly at WOT.

Most take the guts out and use them, saves weight. Try and keep it close to the CG point. Aimed away from the prop.

Pavement is about it for the stock wheels. Most switch to 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" versions. You can get some pretty nice light foam/plastic ones from lots of places, including your LHS.
    Then you can fly off of grass a lot easier.

Tape on the LE is nice for boinks. For strength I added a 1/16" CF spar to mine. And the way it is wing wise is fine.

Not to steer you away, but here is the Ultimate Champ mod forum. 158 pages of stuff folks have done. Will keep you entertained for quite a while, and you'll learn a lot about the Champ.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1256836
    Missing Man Formation, Looking heavenward you can't help but shed a tear, mournful, lonesome, a hole that screams out at you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FishyComics,

You are welcome, Its is actually a good flying day here. I just got in from flying. If I didnt have a few things to do I think I'd still be out there with my Champ and my Super Cub. Yeah you'll be just fine. You are gonna have so much fun with the Champ and your Camera.

Glacier Girl,

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna look at that myself also. I was flying the champ in the light wind today it was crazy funny and Fun!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stinking wind caught mine today and trashed it. And I wasn't even flying it.[X(]

Flew two packs through it and switched to my Trojan.

One of those out of nowhere winds. We had nothing but a whisper of wind all day. All of a sudden I spy a little mini tornado skipping across the asphalt. It had picked up enough dust and such it was brown. And yep it skipped right to the Champ.

First it cartwheeled and rolled it end over end. Then decided that was no fun so while the Champ was on it's back the wind slid it across the asphalt for a good 10 feet. And then for good measure it picked it up again and slammed it against a curb. And just like that the twister was gone.

Sawed through the rudder down to the V stab, ripped loose the tail wheel, ground the living daylights out of the wing, and crushed both tips. Pulled the top of the fuse loose, and punched in the nose. Even screwed up something in the gear box.

Only good part if there was one, nothing broke that wasn't reinforced with CF. Not the wing, or H stab or rudder. Beat to all get out, but no breaks.

Whole time this is going on I'm trying to keep track of the Trojan in the air and chasing the Champ down the running track.

Oh well least I didn't crash the Trojan. I guess I'll be headed to the LHS tomorrow now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Guys.

I recieved my G-FLyr champ (2010) from HobbyTron/Hobbzone, its grounded till further notice. Intstructions to be read lol. 0nline Pdf , Duh.

I have taken a close look at the plane its really nice,and I will be purchasing additional parts soon, the wing, tail kit fuselage, and bars.

Is it Wise to get a prop saver, $10.. or so. Yeah my brain may be fast, but my Body may be slow , lol.

I have on the side a Wild hawk, and Yellow Bee, When ready they'll be flown to. WInd is my Enemy, period lol.

1 the 4 port charger great, I think I am not ready yet, but its on my list, battery can be charged better single than Multiple I rather hold off.

2. Propeller saver $10.. plus, is it worth it. not knowing if those little rubber bands can be purchased 6 propellers vs one saver.?

3 Bigger cap longer time , thanks, extended cable wonder if that was a option. vs cutting body. I may look deeper into this.

4. Tape on LE , not sure what LE is lol, but tape is already on the tips of the plane, and would n ot correctly fit on stock wings, so would these aftermarket wings we see be the one's to get.

Thanks again I read through the thread, of a few sights and basically it ran away with floats lol.

As today, I was in a field. wished I had the plane there. I forgot to take the other, and today I think the winds were lesser, tomorrow Rain is again by wedsday, that means tomorrow is not a fly day, winds

GG ( glaciergirl) sorry to hear , I believe either I read elsewhere, or seen a clip sorry again to hear this.

Firebird... thanks time wil ltell .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fishycomics,

Wind is the enemy somedays for me too!! I have not looked into a prop saver, but I dont think it will hurt to have one.

Glacier Girl,
    I hope your Champ is still able to still fly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Guys:

Ordered some more parts. Dubro sports 1.23 wheels 4.50 shipped, vs 10.00 was going to but later a motor and gear mount HZ

I tested out the plane ran it , various throtle and controls I get 6 min plu max. Lipos fully charged 150 or 16, knowing they need to break in both plane and batterry. knowing once VLC cut off is triggered Bring down now. under 3.- vdc

I am deffently interested and read that 500 mah, or the 240 Hyperion's are the one's to get. The charger takes 15 minutes correctly on the partial charge, and under the hour mark understanding not to deplete batts. I had a mini giant, same charger nimh type . last blink takes the longest to know ifits done lol.

If and when I truely get into this, I am sure the spare parts I have will go with me South, and will be my Winter plane in the warm climate? planning ahead.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, It's snowing here at the end of March. I'm not liking this. I want the cold weather to go away.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We hear ya. was not great heer this week either. but this weekend I did get out to Do my maidon flight 30 plus degrees Cold, for Spring

Maidon flight was a blast

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEARjZZoREU[/youtube]
    Enjoyed every second I was Airborn, 10 mph winds. I ran 240 mah Hyperions, had to read up, figure how to install, and go about doing the mod, very simple

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epptMi5CmY0[/youtube]
    Did not like cutting into the new Plane, and breaking New Landing gear, b/c certain info was held back. lession learned.

I am getting unknown fly time, till I get more used to the AIr than the ground LOL.

I Had a 2nd video, but due to camera sound and Cold weather, wind and different field area. I lost a few rubber bands, and then the Wheel and Rudder broke. I headed Home, repaired with Gorella glue 5 hour cure time, waiting Canapy glue next time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eDO7foRFuY[/youtube]
    As All looked great, I added extra s coth tape, headed out to have winds increase to 12mph again got a short flight in

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LgoBFIg4Sk[/youtube]
    And packed up, called it a weekend.

If I did not have a Prop saver I would have broken two propellers, Rudder and landing gear. Very Pleased with my fly time this weekend.

I am so happy I gotten these Hyperion 240 mah. and the run time again is unknown till I get the hang of it. I could not be anymore set with a RTF kit that is so portable, It is not a Humpty Dumpty it is a champ of chapions.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fishycomics,

Great to see you get out and get your Champ flying. You look like you were having alot of fun.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fishycomics,

How has your flying been going? Just came in from flying this morning.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast