RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   OV-10 Bronco ARF Build no manual (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/10725160-ov-10-bronco-arf-build-no-manual.html)

Wilson4824 09-19-2011 08:01 PM

OV-10 Bronco ARF Build no manual

1 Attachment(s)
So I got this OV-10 Bronco ARF in a Trade.. It does not have any hardware other than the Landing gear. I think that it is an Nitroplanes kit, although it does not have the same nose.

The wingspan is 42 inches. It is an all wood Kit with fiberglass cowls.
I thought it would be fun to post my progress on building this ARF without a manual to follow.

So the first thing I did was to pick out a better color scheme. The bronco right now is done in white, red and some black.
I plan to paint over the monkote and I going to use Krylon Camo paint to do the plane in Green and white (Vietnam era) or Two tone sand (Gulf War)

The next thing I did was go to the Park Flyers plastic and order the plastic parts for their scratch build kit.
FYI If you want some great ABS parts for your parkzone or their parkflyer.. Check out Kevin Sparks website. you cant go wrong. Good Shipping good prices.

So to start I have posted pictures of all that parts.. So now I have to get started.
Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Wilson4824 09-20-2011 10:52 AM

RE: OV-10 Bronco ARF Build no manual

I made a mistake. it Keith Sparks.. at Parkflyers Plastics .com..
Great people to work with.

Glacier Girl 09-22-2011 11:12 AM

NICE! and hey if it came from NP or similar not having a manual is like getting one of their manuals:D.

Wilson4824 12-10-2011 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well it has been a while since i started this thread .. I guess life has happened since that time. So Im going to be adding more infroamtion, how that Im back working on the plane.

I have recieved my decals form GET STENCILS.COM .. IT was really great to work Vicki there she worked extra hard on getting the size and style I wanted.

Thanks.. Please check them out.,.. GET STENCILS. COM .. is a small company but did great work!!!!!

So with that thought in mine lets talk about my choice of color sceme. I have looked at a ton of internet pic and have with a Desert Stom Colors for the 1990's
The main reason was I can use Krylon paint in spray cans to match the colors.

Wilson4824 12-10-2011 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is pic of the decals I got from GET STENCILS.COM

They are made up Dry Transfer and vinyl.. They look super Good!!

Wilson4824 12-12-2011 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So when I started this project.. I thought I would just add a few details, some paint and bam! Im done.
So what happend to that Idea.. well when I got the cowling from Parkflyers. com .. I though I must use these!!!!

When I went to put the new ABS cowls on the booms... there was a problems the new cowls are to small... With bondo in hand and my zona saw i went to work.

the first was to cut the old cowls down.... using my zona saw i cut about 3 inches off the front.. then epoxied the new cowls onto the old.
Then bondo was used to filled in shaped

I also had to change the nose.. the orignal nose come to sharpe of a point. So i removed the monokote and cut the front off... whlie cuting the nose broke free of the body.. so i used my new ABS nose part .. slide inside the old one.. so it come out the whole i cut.. used epoxy and fiber glass tape to glue the parts together..
Then reglued the parts to the body.. and used bondo to blend the nose to shape.

The next step will be to build the stub wings that are mounted to the body to that carry the rockets and fuel tanks, along with the 4 machine guns

The last thing...... I found a swap meet was missiles and fuels tanks that fit on the elite force plastic display models. I plan to use them to hind the wind servos...

jconmagh 02-20-2012 10:02 AM

Hey there!Great posts by the way! Your links to your suppliers have been a great help. Ijust got a bronco from a swap meet and she flys great but needs some TLC on the cosmetics. The guy that sold it to me said it was a nitro planes as well but the NP wingspan is 48" and mine is closer to ~43". Iordered a cockpit from park flyers thinking it would match pretty close but the cockpit was bigger than the original. I trimmed it down and it looks OK. Besides the cowls, Iwas wondering how the other plastics fit for you.

Did you end up painting over the monokote?how did you do it and how is it holding up??

Iappriciate your build log!!where are you know with the bronco?

Wilson4824 02-20-2012 03:17 PM

Thanks for looking at my post.. The plane is coming along slowly.. have had some family matters to deal with but Im back on it.
I had been working on the wing pods. The come out looking like crap!!!! So I plan to rework them. When I ordered the parts from parkflyers, I got the compelte plastic parts. All the rockets bombs and The extra long belly tank and the cockpit and canopy I have the tanks and bombs in finished and in the prime. The rockets I have not done becuse I think they will be to long. The cord of my wing is only about 6-8 inches.
So I think the rockets would be out of scale. That is why I plan on using the plastic part I got from a swap. They are rockets that go on a one of those BBI display models.
FYI: ABS sands to easy there couple of places on my cowls and nose I sanded wholes into.. Thank god for bondo!
I had the same trouble you did with the cockpit parts from parkflyers. So I have trim them down and lowerd the floor as well. I cant use the canpoy its to big for my fuse.. But man would I love to it is right on scale. So if you need any bombs or rockets let me know. I be glad to let you have them .. u cover the cost of shipping.
As for paint. I have been doing some test colors. and found I dont like the some the camo type paints so has of now Im still working on that.

Also the electric motors I had planned to use are to small. What are you useing? how much does the plane way?

Wilson4824 03-07-2012 05:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So update on the Bronco... She is ready for paint. ... I still need to disassmebly her into compents and then light sand the monokote to help with the primer to stick. I should have all that done in couple of days.

I orderd a 5s 5200mah 30c lipo from leaderhobby .. they had a great price.. something like 36.00 and 8.00 to ship..
Check out their website at WWW.leadershobby.com. Look for the LA or Miami Weahouse link on the right side.

As seen in the pic i have attached new wing pods. they are 1/4 foam sheets with 3/32 balsa and leading edge triangle stock.

Wilson4824 03-12-2013 07:09 PM

So for about year  the bronco has been sitting on the shelf.. I had trouble with the paint sticking... So I ordered the Flat color MonoKote. in the brown and cream.  and the dove gray for the under side.
So this is what I got!!

Wilson4824 03-12-2013 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics of the new colors.

WEBESNAG 01-13-2015 07:53 AM

Hi, I got the same plane from Hobbytron. No manual, of course. My questions are: did you get a manual? and can you upload it? and what size servo's did you end up using? Also, did you add flaps?
Ok, Thanks
Steve.

WEBESNAG 01-13-2015 09:29 AM

Hi, I got the same plane from Hobbytron. No manual, of course. My questions are: did you get a manual? and can you upload it? and what size servo's did you end up using? Also, did you add flaps?
Ok, Thanks
Steve.

Wilson4824 01-13-2015 10:25 AM

I didn't every get a manual. As for servos I used all Hitec I used a mini on the elevator. the rudders and ailerons I used HS 81
No flaps and the 5s battery is to big... As for the plane I sold it before I got to fly it.
Never heard what happed to it.. I sad about now. That's one I wish I had back.. Let me know how it goes.

Scott

WEBESNAG 01-13-2015 11:39 AM

Thanks Scott,
I'm pretty slow at getting things built, to many honeydo's on weekends. but i'll save this and let you know.