RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   PNP Bind n fly RTF questions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/10776766-pnp-bind-n-fly-rtf-questions.html)

jay s 10-21-2011 05:24 PM

PNP Bind n fly RTF questions

What type of receiver is suitable for bind n fly planes that still can do the bigger balsa models? Like I have a 72 mhz futaba that I used to fly with a few years ago but it wont bind-n-fly? Is it a spectrum that I want? Or what?

Thanks
Jay

downunderdog 10-22-2011 06:57 AM

RE: PNP Bind n fly RTF questions

The way your question is worded (what type of receiver is suited for bind n fly planes?) doesn't make sense, as bind n fly means they come with receivers. I suspect you're asking what kind of transmitter you need for them... Most of the Bind and Fly planes are set up with Spektrum receivers, as far as I know, so if you're looking to get a BnF plane with one of those you should get a DX6i or DX7 (or DX8).

If you have a 72 mhz transmitter that you'd like to use with a plane, what you should do is get a plug 'n' play instead of a bind n fly plane. Those are a complete airplane minus the receiver, so you can get the PnP airplane plus a receiver that works with the transmitter that you have and install it and go fly.

jay s 10-22-2011 07:50 AM

Oh yes yes yes. Thanks for helping me. I do have my old futaba 72mhz system but will retire it for the spectrum.

I found some other pages that explain what DSM meens and explains what transmiters work with the park fliers and here is the links to the info....this way if someone else happens along to my thread they can find these links to help them.

Thanks Downunderdog.

I am ordering the F4F Wildcat parkzone and the spectrum transmiter today... :D comming soon to a schoolyard or park near you!!!

Jay

johnpcunningham 11-26-2011 09:34 AM

The difference between BNF and PNP is simple. If you purchase a Parkzone plane that is BNF, it comes with the transmitter and receiver and is essentially ready to fly right out of the box. Perfect for the first timer who has no radio.

if you purchase a PNP Parkzone plane, it is the same plane as the BNF but it does not come with a radio or receiver. You drop in your own receiver and radio.

The Parkzone planes and many from the Horizon Hobby family use the Spektrum/JR radios witch are DSM2/DSMx operating at 2.4 Ghz band. Radios from JR and Spektrum like the DX7 and DX6i work on these.

DSM - older radios use this DX6 and AR6000 receiver. can't operate DSM2
DSM2 - Transmitters can operate both DSM2 and DSM receiver modules
DSMx- update of DSM2 that updates faster (1.024ms versus 2.048ms). not that critical for parkflyers. I believe the DSM2 TX radios will work with theses modules, but you don't get the faster update features

JC

downunderdog 12-02-2011 02:27 AM

No, you're talking about the difference between RTF (ready to fly, which generally comes with everything including a receiver AND a transmitter) and PNP (plug and play, which comes with neither a receiver nor a transmitter, but just requires you to "plug" in a receiver for the plane to be ready to go). BNF (bind and fly, which comes with a receiver but NOT a transmitter) is between RTF and PNP.

For the first timer who has no radio, RTF may be the best way to go, but the purchaser has to think about which transmitter it comes with. Some of the RTF planes come with DSM2 transmitters, which are a good option because then the next airplane purchase can be a BNF and the one transmitter can be used for both planes. The RTF planes that come with cheap FM transmitters are that great of an idea, IMO, because people generally will want to upgrade the radio with their next plane and end up having multiple transmitters. The benefit of a cheap radio, though, is that it's cheap and it makes it easy/cheaper for the first timer to get their feet wet and see if they are going to get into the hobby further. If I were getting my first plane right now... I'd get a RTF that comes with a decent radion (maybe a DX5 or DX6i). I think that the hobbyzone supercub DSM is a pretty good setup that now comes with a DX4 (?) transmitter and the option to install ailerons on the existing receiver if the person wants to upgrade it.

ORIGINAL: johnpcunningham

The difference between BNF and PNP is simple. If you purchase a Parkzone plane that is BNF, it comes with the transmitter and receiver and is essentially ready to fly right out of the box. Perfect for the first timer who has no radio.

if you purchase a PNP Parkzone plane, it is the same plane as the BNF but it does not come with a radio or receiver. You drop in your own receiver and radio.

The Parkzone planes and many from the Horizon Hobby family use the Spektrum/JR radios witch are DSM2/DSMx operating at 2.4 Ghz band. Radios from JR and Spektrum like the DX7 and DX6i work on these.

DSM - older radios use this DX6 and AR6000 receiver. can't operate DSM2
DSM2 - Transmitters can operate both DSM2 and DSM receiver modules
DSMx- update of DSM2 that updates faster (1.024ms versus 2.048ms). not that critical for parkflyers. I believe the DSM2 TX radios will work with theses modules, but you don't get the faster update features

JC