RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   Where do you stand? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/10939146-where-do-you-stand.html)

Nodd 02-01-2012 04:18 PM

Where do you stand?

I've been flying my little Piper Cub at my local ball field & I'm trying to figure out where I should stand when I'm flying. I'd like to keep my plane in front of me & avoid flying over my head or behind me so obvious spot is along the parks edge somewhere. Recently the wind has been coming from the SE. Where on this field would you stand & why? (use grid coordinates)...

http://www.scipie.com/rc/park_grid_owens.jpg

MAX HEADSPEED 02-01-2012 05:30 PM

RE: Where do you stand?

I would fly any of my EP PZ 44" WS warbirds inside the park boundaries in a modified NW-SW pattern from area F-3. I can view all access points to the field. It would also provide quick access to vehicle for power to flight battery charger(s), other equipment/planes, etc.

fishycomics 02-02-2012 04:30 AM

I would stand on D5/C4

I ave all angles covered. I need be enough room to still sweep a turn, and land .

I normally like to be dead center of a field, just in case I feel a change in my flying skills. If wind was changed I mirror image G4

Voodoo101 02-04-2012 09:41 PM

I would stand in either F-3 or G-3 so I could have the sun at my back, as much as possible, and my flight path would be mainly from B-3 to J-8 to keep me over the longest open flight path available. This would also make it easy to land into the wind at a 90* angle to you position on the field.

MAX HEADSPEED 02-05-2012 09:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Voodoo101

I would stand in either F-3 or G-3 so I could have the sun at my back, as much as possible, and my flight path would be mainly from B-3 to J-8 to keep me over the longest open flight path available. This would also make it easy to land into the wind at a 90* angle to you position on the field.

I certainly agree with those advantages that you mentioned as they were factored into my choice as well, but, as always, the PRIME consideration was piloting from this area would appear to be the most prudent as far as safety is concerned.

Nodd 02-12-2012 05:12 PM

Thanks everyone for their input. I've plotted everyone's picks (some from a mirror post on another forum) & in this case the results seem to indicate a preference for the Western side of the field which is somewhat reassuring as that's where I've been standing...

http://www.scipie.com/rc/park_grid_owens_picks001.jpg

The best part was everyone's reasoning for where they'd stand, great stuff. Here's a summery of what I learned...

Stand on the Edge of the Field
It seems most people like to avoid flying over head or behind, preferring to stand on the edge of the field & keep their plane out in-front of them at all times. This makes sense as looking strait up or having to spin around can be disorienting. Also for safety reasons it makes sense to be able to see the entire field at once so you can spot errant herds of nuns wandering into your flying area.

Keep Airplane Up Wind
Those that chose not to stand on the Western side of the park chose a location near the infield which is on the down wind end of the field. With the wind coming from the SE this means the airplane will always be upwind which is important if you're flying a glider or if your motor falls off. Its nice to know you can probably make it back to the field if something goes wrong.

Keep the Sun out of your Eyes
You'd think this would be obvious but I must admit I didn't think about the Sun until someone mentioned it. If you can't see your plane I guessing that'd be a VERY BAD THING. Except during overcast conditions this is probably one of the biggest reasons to stand in a certain location. Time of day dictates this, if possible stand facing West in the morning & East in the evenings.

Access to Parking Area
Fairly low on the list but still a consideration, convenient access to your car & all your gear is nice. At this field the parking area is on the Western side of the field.

Avoid Hazardous Areas
No one mentioned this but I think its a good idea to stay way from the busy road running along the park's NE side. As I tend to takeoff close to where I stand, wouldn't want to get in a situation where my plane enters traffic. Bad for the plane & potentially VERY bad for my checkbook - SWOOP - SCREECH - CRUNCH

Runway Material
The hard packed sandy portions of the ballpark are tempting takeoff & landing sites especially as our local Goose population prefers to poop on the grass, not the sand. As this is the off-season for Baseball the sandy areas haven't been groomed in some time. Consequently they're pop-marked with fairly deep foot-prints & are actually quite harsh on my little Piper Cub's gear. The grass in comparison is relativity smooth but I'd kill for a nice asphalt runway. Because of this I tossed my stock 2" wheels & installed a set of 3" low profile wheels which have made a huge difference.

Anyway thanks everyone for the great advice. Next time I head to a field I'll know where best to stand.