RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   First Airplane... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/11394666-first-airplane.html)

Summit is Beast!!! 02-02-2013 05:47 PM

First Airplane...

I've got into the RC hobby last December. I got a traxxas summit for my first RC and then a losi micro crawler. Now I want a airplane! Can a few people post up some good starter planes or just some good name brands bc I have no idea about planes. I want to spend around $150-$200. Thanks a lot. Can't wait to figure out what I'm getting!

hugger-4641 02-02-2013 08:59 PM

RE: First Airplane...

48" Hobbyzone Supercub.

secure.hobbyzone.com/rcplanes/rcair_hobbyzone/HBZ7400.html

downunderdog 02-04-2013 03:52 AM

I second the Hobbyzone Supercub DSM. Get the DSM model because it comes with a DX4E transmitter and the RX has aileron output so you can add ailerons without buying all new electronics. (If you get the stock "non-DSM" supercub, the electronics are non-standard 5 wire servos and the TX and RX are only 3 channel, so if you want to add a fourth channel for ailerons you have to replace all of the electronics except for the motor, and you'll probably want to replace that as well unless you can find an ESC for the brushed motor... so the upgrade path for the stock supercub is tougher than the DSM one).

I also think the DSM comes standard with LiPo batteries instead of NiMh ones, so it has pretty good power and can even use the (optional) floats without having to upgrade the battery or motor. If the LiPo's are an optional extra, I'd recommend you do it right away to save going through the NiMh's first.

siberianhusky 02-04-2013 04:48 AM

If you like building things look for plans for the Blu-Baby, can be built in a couple hours out of dollar store foam board, it's tough as anything and really easy to fly. I learned to fly on one, very first flight was a success without an instructor, would have been easier to learn if one was available though.
All you need to build it is an x-acto knife and a yardstick to cut straight lines.
A radio, couple servos, motor,esc and a couple 900 mah 2s packs shouldn't cost more than about 70$
Mine uses a 10$ motor, 10$ esc a pair of 5$ servos and 7$ batteries, already had a Spektrum radio for heli's. The 6 channel HK radio has a pile of people who swear by them, a few of my buddies use the pistol radios for boats. Think the radio is 30-35 bucks.
Plans include a 2nd wing so when your're ready all you have to do is build the flat wing and get an aileron servo. Ready to go 4 channel flying.
Kind of an ugly plane but for the most part if you get into trouble just take your thumbs off the sticks and the thing will usually pull itself out of whatever you've gotten into better than you can if you have enough altitude, which is always your best friend!
If you crash it really badly you can build a new one in a couple hours for the cost of a couple sheets of foam board and be flying a new plane the next day!
It's light enough that major crash damage is rare unless you auger it straight in at full throttle!

Chucksolo69 02-04-2013 12:01 PM

Hobbyzone just came out with a NEW 4 channel trainer designed to be a newbies first airplane. It is the Hobbyzone Glasair Sportsman. It is $250.00 RTF and includes the new AS3X stabilization system as well as Horizon Hobby's  Virtual Instructor feature. It has a massive 54" wingspan and is said to be a great flier. Also suggested would be:

Hobbyzone Champ
Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos
Ares Gamma 370 or Gamma 370 Pro purchased with the standard 3 channel Gamma 370 wing.

Summit is Beast!!! 02-04-2013 12:07 PM

Ok so I've pretty much made up my mind on the super cub. I was looking to find the dimensions of the stock battery so I can order 1 or 2 more. Anybody know a good lipo or at least the dimension of the battery tray so I can find some?

hugger-4641 02-04-2013 01:59 PM

These are what I'm using, but they are slightly larger than the stock 1300mah and I did have to cut a little piece out of the back of the battery box to get the leads stuffed into the cabin. These also have the XT60 connectors, so you would need to either change the connectors on your battery and esc, make an adapter, or put the Hobbzyone EC3 connectors on the new batteries. I elected to just change everthing to Xt60 since they are a heavier connector and easier to solder anyway.

www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7451__Rhino_1550mAh_3S1P_25C_Lipoly_Pack.html

Summit is Beast!!! 02-13-2013 07:13 PM

Just ordered the Super Cub DSM!!!! Cant wait to get it!!! Thanks for the help.