RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   First Plane-Ailerons or not? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/17440-first-plane-ailerons-not.html)

crash whiplash 05-18-2003 12:23 PM

First Plane-Ailerons or not?

I want to buy a nice slow park flyer to help teach me how to fly, then eventually move into a .40 ARF trainer. I am thinking that I should get a park flyer that has Aileron, Rudder and Elevator control rather then just elevator and rudder so as to get the hang of what the .40 ARF trainer will be. Do you agree and what is a good park flyer that incorporates all three controls?
Thanking you inadvance for your input.

Whiplash then Crash

ballgunner 05-18-2003 12:41 PM

It is usually a good idea to look ahead. In your case you are doing the right thing. Most park flyers are actually three control, rudder, elevator + throttle by ESC. The idea that you can fly these aircraft almost anywhere is basically an idea to get you used to seeing your airplane in the air. They fly well as equipped however there are plenty of electrics with ailerons. Go to www.hobby-lobby.com for their internet catalog. The have the widest selection electrics and park flyers in the hobby. You should have an instructor by all means. Flying with a full house setup will teach you to coordinate rudder and ailerons especially if it is a small airplane.
P.S. Don't forget to put the - between hobby-lobby or you will get another site that has nothing to do with RC.

FHHuber 05-18-2003 06:26 PM

You can do just fine with the rudder, elevator, throttle and then moving up to the 4 channel plane. When flying the 3 channel plane, the rudder goes on the right stick (where the ailerons will be when you fly 4 channel.)

The transition is fairly easy. You'll need to do some taxi training to get used to ground handling with the left stick.

Knowing you'll be going to 4+ channels later... buy a radio that can handle it. (rather than one of the 3 channel systems made just for Park Flyers...)

crash whiplash 05-18-2003 07:07 PM

F.H.
Thanks for the advice about getting a 4 channel radio instead of a 3. I do own a 4 already (Futaba) and am really leaning towards a full package park flyer!

Later Dude

Crash then Whiplash

btibbetts 05-18-2003 08:52 PM

I started with a .40 trainer with ailerons and had alot of difficulty with over controlling the plane. A friend built me a Balsa USA Stick 40 Trainer that had no ailerons and was easy to fly. It was a great plane to learn on. Also it is very easy to build and to repair after that first crash. If you're going to fly off of grass when you progress to your .40 trainer you will want to use a .46 engine. With the Balsa USA Stick Trainer you could use a .46 engine and save yourself some bucks. Check it out on www.balsausa.com. Good luck!