RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   The Badius Owners Club (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/2498521-badius-owners-club.html)

Freakazoid 01-11-2005 01:57 PM

RE: The Badius Owners Club

Im sorry, plenty of passenger liners and cargo planes, just not the fokker F-27.

AgCat1982 01-11-2005 02:33 PM

Today: Windy. A few showers from time to time. Warm. High 72F. Winds SSW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Tonight: Cloudy. Low 59F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph.

Tomorrow: Cloudy and windy with a thunderstorm or two possible in the afternoon. A few storms may be severe. High around 65F. Winds S at 25 to 35 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Captain, that is the actual forecast for my area! No chance for a while to test fly![:@]

I did a small mod to the Sabre to make the nose cone stronger. I filled the gap between the nose and the cone with a bead of weather stripping spray foam and let it expand and fill the space. Then I trimmed it with a razor knife, sanded smooth and covered it with metal tape to provide a slick surface for the air to enter. The nose is now solid foam. This tape sticks great, presses down smooth and stays where you put it. I used it over the cheater hole where I trimmed it down.

CaptainRandy 01-11-2005 04:05 PM

Roger,

Too bad about the weather, come on down to sunny warm Florida and fly with me[8D]

I like the idea of the foam in the nose, I made a cardboard tube out of cardstock to smooth the transition area. Your idea is a good one. Also, I thought of the metal tape where we chambered out the foam for the cheater hole. I was going to paint the area flat black and also inside the exhaust to look like it was from exhaust. I assume that's what it might look like.

Can't wait to hear a flight story from you or me. I am going to work on her tonight after dinner. The plane that is.:D

Hey Lou, Sold a lot of my home made prints over the weekend, so I should get another plane, right;) Wife may not think I get another plane evertime I sell some prints. All my hard work, letting the HP Print away.

The Omei is on the dinning room table also.

AgCat1982 01-11-2005 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are more photos of the mod's on the Sabre. Hope you can see where I tied the two elevators together. My connector was not larger enough to put both wires into. I used the provided music wire with the threaded ends so as to be able to adjust the trim individually on the elevators. I used clear copper wire wrapped around the two music wires tight and then soldered to keep them from slipping. I was not able to solder the music wire it self.

afineman 01-11-2005 04:11 PM

RB211

There is also another called RC-Sim V1.0 ( I think), this is not free BUT it is good and in demo mode it lets you fly for 5 min everytime you start the program.

This was what I learned on, try it you may like it better.

Wife and I will be hitting LHS tonight so I can point out my birthday gifts;)

Later all

AgCat1982 01-11-2005 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We have a lot of pets here in our house. Cats, two dogs, tropical fish and two birds. A Cockatoo and an African Gray.

Any of you who have used brushless motors, at least the ones I have, have heard the high pitched whistle it makes when you shut it down. It's at the very end and goes from high to low. Well, PJ, the African Gray, now shuts down my brushless motor all day long![&:] She is a hoot!:D

CaptainRandy 01-11-2005 04:18 PM

Looking Good Rog,

I brought the Sabre to the club meeting last night and I had 30 guys giving opinions on the elevon subject. I am going with a separate servo on the top with a split control wire arrangement. I think I will put the servos in the bottom of the wings as my servo will fit no problem. I'll post pics when done. Hope it flys with that brick of a battery that I used in the Hawk. The Hawk was a lighter plane and flew plenty fast. I hope the Sabre at least fly fast enough to be realistic and controlable. I have the lipos if they will fit in the compartment somehow. Were you using Lipos in the Sabre? I know you said you put in a brushless.

Freakazoid 01-11-2005 04:19 PM

LOL, thank god youre not doing IC engines tomuch, or shed be doing 16% nitro. :D

CaptainRandy 01-11-2005 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Beautiful birds Rog,

My cali Cat says LUNCH TIME:D

AgCat1982 01-11-2005 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Freakazoid

LOL, thank god youre not doing IC engines tomuch, or shed be doing 16% nitro. :D
Say what?:)

iflyatcae 01-11-2005 04:26 PM

dang, erbody is on right now! 8 of us. that a record?

Freakazoid 01-11-2005 04:31 PM

Hey, what about a little chatroom? :D Everyone is on pertymuch all day. :P

Loubud 01-11-2005 04:50 PM

Geez, this is a large groupd of guys. Does no one work anymore? How the heck does everyone buy their toys? I had to put wifey to work.

Freakazoid 01-11-2005 04:55 PM

Rich parents and smart web sales here. :) I also have a job.. 2 hours a day in my dads trophy shop. :D

Loubud 01-11-2005 05:01 PM

Hey Freakdude. A great deal for you. I like the part time stuff but I have all these planes to buy. Then theres parts and upgrades and things. A guy at the LHS flies giant scale planes and he said they were converting a bunch of then to electric. This can only be good for the brushless motor industry. More biz, more competition means better prices for us. This summer will be great.

Freakazoid 01-11-2005 05:06 PM

Ah yes, brushless has been making nosedives on the market. Perty soon you can go buy brushless for the price of 2 brushed equivalents.

I cant wait for those superlong flighttimes and verticals. :)

RayRay 01-11-2005 06:20 PM

Happy Birthday Hollywood !!!!!!!

Loubud 01-11-2005 06:44 PM

Hey Fineguy. Happy Birthday fom me too.

RayRay, The mounting screws for the Permax are wider tho I don't know the size. And I don't know any details for compairison between the other motor you mentioned. I just like the Permax because it withstood the choo choo tracks.
Very windy today. Maybe tomorrow will be flying weather.

AgCat1982 01-11-2005 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Freakazoid

Hey Freakazoid, say what?

AgCat1982 01-11-2005 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Captain, here is one of our cats. Snowy. I found him on the interstate in Texas early one morning. Spotted his white fur. I pulled over and called to him and he ran to me. There were no houses around and he was just hours from death. No more than 6 wks old, nothing but skin and an injured hip. He would not have lasted the day. I got him food and milk and he road on into Texas and back to Arkansas. My wife is the cat person and I knew she would not have forgiven me if I had not taken him. I had no idea he was going to be a pure breed and so beautiful!

You can see most of our other pets in my gallery.

CaptainRandy 01-11-2005 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Rog,

I was just working on the Sabre a bit, got the aileron servos mounted in the wings as in the instructions, but the darn servo leads are a bit too short. I will have to get some 6" ext.

I also epoxied the fiberglass things to the underside of the wings. I guess they add some strength and also alow for mounting of the skid plates.

Did you put these on yours?

I may add some softer wire skids to protect the servos on landing. The ones supplied seem awlful heavy don't they?

Servos where you mounted them are safe.

The Kokam 3S 1500's fit in the battery space perfect, but I don't know if they will balance yet.
I will most likley use the ones from the Hawk that were made for the Sabre as I am using my new Lipo friendly ESC in the Omei and I don't feel like buying another just yet.

Your kitty looks similar to my BIG Crystal. We got her from the shelter like all our others.

AgCat1982 01-11-2005 09:47 PM

Captain, he is a flame tipped Himalayn. Doogie, in my gallery, is a ragdoll Himalayn. We bought him when my sons cat was killed one night by a neighbors dog and we could not find a cat anywhere. My son was 6 at the time. All the other cats, we have more, are rescued cats. They seem to find us.:)

Yeah, I put the fiberglass supports on. I know they are to strengthen the wings. They are an after thought by the company since they are not in the instruction book. I am going to leave the skids off for the weight reason since I don't need them to protect the servos. I, also, did not need the extensions by putting them where I did.:) I could spend a lot of time, like some of the other guys did, and make it look better, but, I just want it to fly, for the moment. If I like it a lot, then I may change some things later. I really think it is going to be fun if I actually get to fly without exploding, like Freakaziod is always afraid of, but, I think my main specialty will still be slower flying models, like the Cub, Citabria, Steerman, TigerMoth, etc. I have a lot of fun just slowly flying around in park size areas.:)

You didn't comment on the Decathlon. It is only 28in wing span, 16oz fly wt (if I don't use Li-Po and brushless). It is nicely put together and will be interesting to see if it will fly.:D

I am using the same batteries as you. My flying weight will be 15oz so I think the thrust will be more than enough. I have not tried to balance it yet.

I am still at a loss about the controls. Somewhere I read PhillyBaby talking about having to use aileron to rudder mixing because of the four channel feather receiver he was using. He uses separate aileron and elevator servos. I don't know what he was talking about now. I swapped receivers, having what he was talking about in mind, and now I don't know why. Four channels will work fine with just aileron and elevator servos. Do you know what I am talking about? On his web site I can't load the second page of his Sabre section and that may have been where it was. Please help me save my mind![:@] I think I am loosing it!:D

AgCat1982 01-11-2005 10:14 PM

Whoops, make that 16.3 oz. Must have been some heavy decals and glue!:D Still lighter than stock.:)

AgCat1982 01-11-2005 10:22 PM

Hey Brent, have you got that bi-wing into the 3D mode yet? I was just ribbing you about it earlier.:) Haven't heard anything about it lately.

Lou, is the glider on the way? Unless something complete unavoidable stops me, I will build it for you. Looking forward to it. You should not have to send the trans later for me to test it. If it works with mine then it should work with yours. Did the kit come with its covering?

afineman 01-11-2005 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok Ok Ok

Where this is a No Topic thread I guess I will not feel guilty for doing this

Where we are all posting Pets, this is Joe ( came named from the pound), he lived to 18.5 years old, that was THE saddest day fo my life when I had to have him put down.

I've had 3 wives and ONLY 1 dog, now you know why I was SSOO sad Hee Hee Hee.

Now I have new (relatively) wife and dog, I've starting to grow fond of them both Hee Hee Hee.

The dog is a female (saved her from going TO the pound), new dog and new wife are getting along well, HECK they are even in cycle together. The two of them humping my leg is quite the sight to see Hee Hee Hee.
Later All:D

AG, I am at the stage where I can just about hover the Ulitimate, I need a 3 cell lipo (on the list), you didn't answer the question, would you like me to repost one or both Corsair videos