RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   The Badius Owners Club (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/2498521-badius-owners-club.html)

ShellDude 01-04-2005 12:25 AM

RE: The Badius Owners Club

wow... i still can't get over the participation here... its amazing how dedicated everyone is.

link to the AB Parasite booster video
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...tm.htm#2115691

(actually, its a link to a link of a bunch of links)

BTW - great dog in the photo. is it a lab?

Loubud 01-04-2005 12:37 AM

Hi Dan,
I don't think it's bad, I just had a lot of trouble programing it. In some cases you have to turn the tx off, then turn it on while pressing 2 buttons. Pissed me off. I want to just use the curser to move from here to there. You can do that with the Airtronics VG6000. I need to see the Airtronics VD8000 and see how it is programed. If it's as wierd as the Hitec, I'll keep the Hitec. I like the synthesizer idea. Just tune in what channel you want and go. Does Positive and negative shift. I figured that I could go the the LHS and just buy whatever receiver or crystal they had a good price on. No need to worry about whether it would work with mu tx. I'm going to try to get over to the LHS and check out the Airtronics. I'll let you know what I find out.

iflyatcae 01-04-2005 12:41 AM

Shelldude,

shes a Golden Retriever. We were told she was a thorough bread, but she is a lot smaller than our other goldens.

Brent,

Yeah, thats better. but do you think i should exchange the pjs for somethin else since i got it for the cobra? id rather put another cheapo on it if you think that would work. I donno, i just dont wanna waste a good 90 dollar motor. Ah im so confused with what i should do.

thanks,
ryan

AgCat1982 01-04-2005 12:46 AM

Darn, I don't know yet if I made page 1![&:] Here is the video of the GWS PT-17 Stearman with 400F brushless.
As always, you will be taken to a web site with a list of my video's. Just select GWS PT-17 and away you go. I hope.:D

[link=http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/[email protected]/lst?.dir=/click+on+file+to+play&.view=l]PT-17 Video[/link]

If it does not work, please let me know.

Loubud 01-04-2005 12:48 AM

Hi Rog,
You made it to the Club.

AgCat1982 01-04-2005 12:56 AM

What do you know. I did!:D

Hi people, I got started with this group after following the thread for the first half of it and been here since, no matter how hard they tried.:D I have a few home built electric's, AeroBird Challenger, Badius, F-86 Sabre and the latest which is the GWS PT-17 Stearman, of which I just posted the video.

I am a real pilot, close to 2,000 hours flight time in Cessna 150 and 172, Cherokee 180 and Six, Citibria, Aeronica Champ, Agcat 600 and a little time in a couple twins.[8D]:D

I am retired with total disability from the Newport Fire Dept. I just retired my Badius. Needed to move on.:)

Captain, I was about to put one of my brushless motors in the duct when the set screw fell out and is now in a black hole somewhere in time![:@]

ShellDude 01-04-2005 01:04 AM

ORIGINAL: iflyatcae

Shelldude,

shes a Golden Retriever. We were told she was a thorough bread, but she is a lot smaller than our other goldens.

We've been thinking about getting one for the kids... I remember them being great family dogs... /me thinks back to the old lassie episodes and Old' Yeller.... yea I know Lassie wasn't a Lab... but work with me on the whole a saint in the form of a dog myth :)

oh

badius, badius, badius --- see, I didn't forget!

Loubud 01-04-2005 01:07 AM

Hey Shell,
My sister just got a Husky. Cute little guy (at the moment). My wife wants an English Mastiff. Huge dogs. Average over 350 lbs. Best part is they don't like to go for walks. My kinda dog.

AgCat1982 01-04-2005 01:21 AM

Hi Lou, fancy meeting you here:D WOW, page 2 already!

Did you view my video?

Pilot Ray 01-04-2005 02:35 AM

Hi Everyone,
I think more people that fly the Accipiter Badius plane will find us easier now.

Hi iflyatcae,
The stock batteries only give me about 50 nice flights, and then the flight times became progressively shorter for the next 50 flights. You will know when they have reached their end, not only will full power flight be about half of what it use to be, but the plane will not make full power for takeoffs anymore due to usage weakened battery. I get really great and long flights with the 1100mah batteries I bought at batteryspace.com
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=850

Thanks, Pilot Ray

AgCat1982 01-04-2005 03:08 AM

Has anyone seen my video yet? I just want to know if it worked.:D

Does anyone know why some words typed here are underlined with dashes? Just curious.

I have made 14 flights with my Stearman and two dumps! First and last flight. First flight I was all nervous, gave it full throttle and away it went like a rocket! seriously! Shot up at a 60 deg angle and started to bank left, so I applied right aileron and it kept going left no matter what I did! Straight into the ground![X(][:@] Broke both wings into two pieces and I could not figure out what happened. Then I couldn't remember if I had extended the antenna and since I couldn't remember putting it back down I was sure that was it! I got it all back together, no problem and waited for the right time to fly. It was a few days and I was at my son's house when we went flying. He was going to try to fly the Slow Stick. I set the stearman on the ground, held my breath, afraid to try it again, when, while I was running the controls thru their paces, I was struck numb![X(][:@][&:][&o]............The ailerons were backward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:@][:@][:@][:@] I had never checked any aircraft so completely as I had that plane and I missed it!!!!! I couldn't believe it, but, I quickly reversed the servo's and took off. Up and away she went and flew perfectly!!!!
Well, yesterday, on my second flight, I had several of my young nephews' and nieces' watching me fly. The wind was 8+mph, but, I went ahead and brought it down low for them to watch it closely. Everything went great for a while when I let it zip low over my head and didn't turn around quick enough to catch it before it was already headed straight for the ground and all I could do was cut the throttle just as it hit. knocked the wings off again, but, no serious damage. Already set to go again!

Captain, I just order the Watt-Age Decathlon! Not a big plane, 29 inch wing span, 16oz flying weight. It's on sale for $49.00 and I used to fly a Citabria which is very similar. This thing ought to rocket straight up with one of these brushless motors!:D

I have never had more fun than I have been having lately! If only the weather would work with me more.:) I gave my son my 4ch Hitec, Slow Stick, charger and batteries for his birthday, just before Christmas! Now I have fun flying with him! I bought a 5ch Hitec and another Slow Stick and a training cord. Will not need it much. He is taking to this like it was natrual! Just a little help and he will be on his way. Then we can dogfight with the SS's:D

afineman 01-04-2005 08:37 AM

Roger

Great video :D did I see a few panic moves in there??????? Hee Hee Hee

Loubud 01-04-2005 11:29 AM

Hi Roger,
Great video. Rivals Kyle A.S.C. I saw the Stearman at the LHS. Sold out fast. Nice to see one fly. You know, with young kids around, you could have landed at the other end of the farm and they would have fetched it for you. I had a neighbor boy watching me fly one day and I crashed, err, landed a good distance away and that kid just took off to go get it. He thought that it was fun to chase the Badius.
Back to the video. You did some good tricks up there. When the music changed, I thought maybe something ominous was going to happen. LOL.
A final thought. Flying with your brother seems to be one of the best things about these planes. Nothing better. Thanks Brent.

iflyatcae 01-04-2005 11:35 AM

Brent, (I posted this earlier but not sure if u saw)

Yeah, thats better. but do you think i should exchange the pjs for somethin else since i got it for the cobra? id rather put another cheapo on it if you think that would work. I donno, i just dont wanna waste a good 90 dollar motor. Ah im so confused with what i should do.

thanks,
ryan

AgCat1982 01-04-2005 12:08 PM

Panic? Me? Noooooooo!:D I wish! There were two times. One when the wind blew me off the road when I attempted a cross wind landing and the other when I got just a little lower than I wanted in a spin out!:D

Lou, music change? nah, just changed to a different plane. That's all.:D

Thanks guys for the praise!:) I just love flying this thing with the brushless. If you paid attention you could see it climb out at a 60-70 deg angle! A few of the times where it looked as tho it was just setting there pointed away from you, it was V.H. slowly zooming in while I was climbing. It will go forever at a 45deg climb out!:) When I get lower winds I want to work on rolls, more inverted, spins, etc. I had to modify the plane to balance it without adding weight. It comes with two ounces of clay to balance it with the standard motor and my setup was even lighter. I cut out the fuse all the way into the false radial. I glassed the inside of the radial to make it tough enough to protect the battery. Then I made a wood plug the shape of a battery cover to cover the hole and glassed it. I pulled the fiberglass cover off, trimmed it, made a latch mech and that did the balancing! You can see the cover in the photo at the end if the vid.

Loubud 01-04-2005 12:14 PM

Hi Roger,
I noticed the climb rate. Loved it. I do like to see those power motors zipping along. Ole Howard would put the V-12 in it. With that kind of power you probably wouldn't see the plane ever again. Just up and away.
You're going to give Hollywood a run for the money with the aerobatics. I'm still trying to land ok.

afineman 01-04-2005 12:32 PM

iflyatcae

Well !! that is a choice you have to make, BUt I will tell you a Motor Max 400T at rclightflights works well in the AB ( remember some of my original brushless videos) and it costs $50, then if you couple that with the cheap ESC from balsa products $40, you have motor and controller for the cost of just the motor. this setup with a 9X6 folding prop on a 2 cell lipo pull about 14 oz thrust @ 8.9 amps, more than enough to get the AB up there

If you really want to go insane get a HiMax 2025 5300 (80$) with a C/C Phoenix 25 ($75) and a 2.600 2 cell pack with a 14X4 prop this has 52 oz thrust, heck at that power, you don't even need wings:D.

But I would suggest you stick with what you have or go for the 400T (a direct replacement for the current AB motor), and save the crazy stuff for next year.

Hope it helps

iflyatcae 01-04-2005 02:02 PM

Brent,

Do you think the cheapo brushless would hover my cobra (11oz)? And are you sure you typed the himax thing right because I just looked at lightflightrc.com and it says that it is $51. And if it gives the kind of thrust youre talking about for that cheap, i might go down that road. Im real bad with this electrical stuff so could you tell me if the himax would take a 3s lipo? thanks.

ryan

afineman 01-04-2005 02:59 PM

iflyatcae

There are 2 motor on that sight i was talking about, Motor Max 400T that is the one at 49.99.

The other on was if you wanted to go insane.

I don't know your plane (seen video but not in person, nor do I own one), this cheap brush less motor is SSOO new no one really knows what it is and isn't good for yet.

I do believe there is a lower cost alternative for you and the Cobra, but because i have never tested one (Cobra)I can not tell you what would give you the best bang for the buck.

If you don't feel like experimenting and want a plug and play set up, find out what the other guys with that plane are using.

I can say the Motor Max 400 T is a good choice for the AB, but then again SSOO many new motors have come out in the last month or so ( Chinese motors and the HiMax direct drive), there may be a better one.

Sorry, I know this doesn't help

TerryE 01-04-2005 03:18 PM

Roger;

Great video - did I hear an "OH SH^*" when you got so close to the van :D

I like the fades, looks like there were two stearmans flying togetyher there for a second.

Does the P17 have a real airfoil, or just slab wings? It is a nice looking plane, and I have always loved biplanes... may have to get me one :)

Loubud 01-04-2005 03:22 PM

Hey Diggidy Dan,
I just came back from the LHS and exchanged the Hitec Optic 6 + cash for the Airtronics RD8000. Much easier to program. My LHS is Hobby People and they have been great about me buying, echanging parts or just getting info from them. One guy there flies large gliders, another does Helis and so on. A wealth of info. I had read somewhere that if your :HS can stay within 15 or 20% of web bargains that you should stick with the LHS. I would have hated to return the Hitec by mail because I want it now.[>:] The Hobby People guys understood that I just didn't care for the Hitec and there wasn't any arguing or unecessary question. Just a smile. Perfect.
So. Dan, go to your LHS and play with all the TX's they have in stock. Gets the best you can afford that does what you want it to do. Are you going to fly Heli's in the future? If not, a 6 channel will work great without Heli mode. Lots of 6 channels out there that do Heli's too.
Now to read the book.

Loubud 01-04-2005 03:23 PM

HiTerry,
What Heli do you have?

TerryE 01-04-2005 03:32 PM

Lou;

Right now I have 3 helis:
1) An OLD Mantis (.40 size glow power) which is awaiting a drive belt (mine is stretched beyond the adjustment and I can't find a belt that will work. I am trying to rig some sort of belt tensioner for it, but not having too much luck.
2) A Shuttle (.28, glow) that flies very well. This is my 'copter of choice to go "bash" aromd with.
3) Kavan Jet Ranger (all fiberglass, .65 glow power, 8+ lbs) This is my "scale" bird. Very big / heavy and NERVEWRACKING to fly. It was a lot of $$ and I get nervous flying it. It flies well, but I am always glad to get it back on the ground in 1 piece.

I would really like toi get an electric heli, as I could fly it in the back yard. So far they are too much money for me...maybe when I get a job:eek:

There are a number of great training stands on the market. I think whiffle balls mounted on a big "X" and cable tied to the bottom of your heli should be good, for the bigger, heavier helis I prefer the "swivel arm" arrangement. (Kinda looks like the old heli games that you used to find in airports and could "fly" for a quarter). There really cut down on the repair bills until you get the hang of it, but are a bit more restrictive.

Ok, so I got off topic ... who cares !:D

Loubud 01-04-2005 03:56 PM

Hi Terry,
Geez. Quite a hanger full. It seems to me that all Heli's are big bucks but since I have this RC addiction thing I write it off as an uncontrollable sickness. Not a thing I can do about it.;) I just dropped another 2 hunnerd at the LHS and didn't get some stuff I wanted. I talked to wifey after I came back and she wants to know if I drove us into the poor house yet. I lied. It's part of the illness.
The guys at the LHS said the drop in brushless motors and lipo's has barely started. Ole Hollywood is onto something here. I think that those of us that are in the market for motor upgrades shoyuld wait till the last minute to buy this stuff. Align, the maker of my T-Rex Heli, has 35 amp brushless esc's for around fifty bucks. They also have some decent motors for forty bucks. I expect a big drop in esc's too.
Off to read some more. I sure wish I could retain some of this stuff.

J3FAN 01-04-2005 06:40 PM

WHAT DOES ACCIPITER MEAN ?
WHAT DOES BADIUS MEAN?
WHAT DOES ACCIPITERBADIUS MEAN ?
WHAT LANGUAGE IS IT IN?
sounds like LATIN
RCUNIVERSE
DELENDA EST
SALVE

scripsit hoc I / IV / MMIV

ha ha ha