RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   The Badius Owners Club (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/2498521-badius-owners-club.html)

ktaylor 06-25-2006 08:21 PM

RE: The Badius Owners Club

Bryan, looking at the pic you posted of where you fly, you should be able to find some good thermals there once you get better at flying. If you got to 300 feet on your first try, it seems like you only have to work on your landings & that you might have caught some thermals already. On days where it's warm, ( shouldn't be a problem in Scottsdale) if there's wind, find a hill where the wind is blowing into the hill. The warm air will be rising really well from that hill, or is there's places where the ground is darker than the areas around it ( parking lots are good for this) the air gets heated from the hot parking lot & rises. So, waht you can do is get the Badius up & moving, say 40 - 50 feet up & get into that rising air, cut the motor, use the trim controls on the radio to get it to keep flying level, then just keep gliding around in the area where you think the air seems to be rising. It should gain altitiude if the air is rising faster than the plane is coming down. I'll go through my spare parts & get you a care package put together to mail to you. Here's a good source for the badius props cheaper than you can get them from raidentech, although raiden tech will be faster. http://www.bidproduct.com/part/Produ...OPELLER_5.html

Shikrabeast 06-25-2006 09:02 PM

Ken, thanks again!:D
I think you're right about those thermals, because it went up pretty fast. It was very easy to control once it was up there, and I had a blast, just didn't end the way I had hoped. It's kind of funny, because when I left the house today I made sure to take before pictures, because I new it wasn't coming pack in one piece. I was surprized that it was even flying, and even more so when it was flying so well. Still amazed the wings made it!! What usually makes the plane go into a dive like that, and is there any way to pull out of it? As soon as it started to go down I pulled back on the stick..nothing but dirt. It all happened so fast I didn't think to cut the motor. I probably should have cut it while it was still way up there and just let it glide down. Hopefully next time will be a bit smoother.

Also, the area in the picture I posted was an area called Fountain Hills. Lot's of large hills(small mountains), probably some great thermals. The only problem is there are a lot of big bushes and cacti. I might have a great flight there, but landing is not going to be easy.(unless I land on that golf course!)

Stingray69 06-25-2006 10:20 PM

If the servos got soaked then gears are good and can be used to help others that have stripped SD servos!
Yes, if any one wants them, now or in the future, they're up for grabs. I think one may actually be good, but doubt I'd be re-using them.

Sray

ktaylor 06-25-2006 10:29 PM

Bryan,
I'm trying to remember how big the greenbelts are that run through scottsdale. My grandmother used to live there, my aunt still does. When your flying skills are better you could try flying at the greenbelts, but I wouldn't until you are sure that you're not gonna plow it into someone's house. Well, if it went into a dive & you couldn't pull out of it, & you hadn't cut the throttle on the motor,, The Badius isn't the most nimble of planes, in stock setup it's pretty slow to react to inputs, So if you had the throttle going even half way & it was in a dive It coulda just kept goin faster before it could acutally respond to the control inputs. OK, question for you. On the control horn on the elevator, what hole is the rod through? And on the servo, what hole on the servo arm? It could be that it doesn't have much throw (movement) & it's creating as much downforce for it to come out of a high speed dive.
The motor that I'm sending you is a speed 400. THe one that comes with the badius is a 380. Physically the same size, i think a slightly higher rpm on the 400. Don't know for sure. The motor shaft on the 380 has splines cut into it to hold the propellor on. The 400 has a smooth shaft. What I did was get the motor hooked up (oh, pay attention to how the little capacitors are on the 380 motor, you'll want to transfer them to the 400 motor) then once the motor was hooked up, & spinning in the right direction, then use a pair of wire cutters & gently grip the shaft. Not enough to stop the motor, but enough that it starts cutting grooves into the shaft. Then you can run a screw into the hole that's in the prop hub to hold it onot the shaft. If you want to tell which direction the motor is running, do this. Tie a string to a cat's tail & the other end to the motor shaft, when it wraps around & grabs the cat's tail, you'll be able to tell which way the motor was spinning, you want counter clockwise looking at the motor shaft end. The cat may not like it, but it works. :D If the motor is spinning in the wrong direction, just switch the wires around, it will reverse the polarity. Also, your motor could be ok, check to make sure that the rudder & elevator are working. If they aren't working then you might have buggered the recever. No problem there, I have a spare one of those I'm sending you as well. We'll get you flying again. DId you do any of the modifications to your wing that was in the other thread?

ktaylor 06-25-2006 10:50 PM

Five string,
I just ordered 4 of the 2 cell packs and 2 of the $3 servo's just to see what the servo are like. The 2 cell packs, ( I have NEVER seen 1350 mah 2 cell packs for $10 each) I'm planning on making wiring harnesses to use them in series for 4 cell packs. Granted, they'll only do 16 amps, but at 14 volts that's still almost 225 watts alvailable. For the smaller planes that is alot of power. I'm pretty sure that the BP-21 that I rewound with a 12 turn "y" winding will rock on 4 cell. I'm really hoping that these packs will be here in time for when Brent, Lou, & Mac show up. I'm going to start rebuilding my old Stryker for Lou to fly while he's here. Gonna hook him up on the 4 cell packs with that motor. Once I fugure this thing out with the UBEC, Brad, can you help me out here, how to set that up?) I might try 6 cell. I've got two ESC's that are rated for that voltage. Let's see, 16 amps, 22 volts, 350 watts!!!!!!! ooh, I like that, and all at under 20 amps.

Airbourne in Japan 06-26-2006 12:13 AM

hey SRay, not feeling sorry for you, i don't know why i bought this esskey and after the c47 fiasco i know i'm not going to use it. going to the PO this afternoon.

ultralight news. well it's 30 degrees C here and this morning was interesting flying, plenty of sink on base (the leg before finals) as there are a couple of hills we pass over at 250'. i'm not using enough rudder into turns and a couple of times on turning finals the wind lifted up the upper wing making it suddenly a steep turn. not nice at 200' over trees. anyway, Itoh-san (the instructor) decided that at last he'd demonstrate the use of ailerons without rudder, to show me the yaw, and we went up to 1000'. then he said let's fly to the nearby ski-slope, about 10 mins away by air, so we climbed up to 2000' and cruised on over. i really enjoyed my first cross country, but there's nowhere to land if the engine quites, it's all hills covered with trees. oh yeah, found out the mystery of the grass cutting letter, it was cutting the weeds yesterday at the ultralight club. my wife got it wrong. fantastic hahaha

Glacier Girl 06-26-2006 06:03 AM

Sray,
Nice to see the Cub made it back. Shouldn't take much to get her back up.

Weather here sucked all weekend, rain, rain, rain.

Although I did manage to transplant the new nose gear in the P38 and have Ray's Hawk about 90% finished.
AJ, I powered it with one of the 032 motors from aarchobby. I'm impressed, spinning a 5x3 prop getting 273 watts of power. That works out to way over 150 watts per pound.
Should be a screamer. And wait till you see the pilot I rigged up for it.

Brent, I too taxed my extreamly limited skills on covering the Hawk, No where near perfect, but at speed no one should notice.LOL
I'l be joining you shortly on the big warbirds front, according to snail mail site, the 90" P38 is to hit tomorrow. Bad news is wifey will be home to recieve it. Already getting the "How many more planes are you going to build?"

And somebody explain this. 12 pound built weight bird, PO estimates at 30 pounds shipping weight. Either a lot of shipping material, or the good old PO is hosing the shipper.

ktaylor 06-26-2006 06:12 AM

Brad, you mentioned disabling the BEC circuit on the ESC & using a UBEC so you can go to a higher voltage. Can you explain that to me? I'm thinking about trying a 6 cell set-up. I think I understand the idea behind it, but don't know how to do it. I'd have to get a UBEC, but I've seen those around & they aren't very expensive. The 032 motor that you're using in the Hawk. Is that one of the blue ones from Tony? I'm really impressed with that motor. I've put a lot of abuse into mine & it still runs really well.

Brewerpaul 06-26-2006 06:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Shikrabeast

Oh yeah, Sorry about the name change! I'll get that plate fixed, but I just tried the motor, and it's not running now. It hit the ground pretty hard! In cases like this, should I try and take the motor out and check it? I'm not to comfortable with that, but I guess it's gotta happen sooner or later. I need to learn these things anyway, especially if I plan to upgrade in the future.
Take it from me-- taking the motor out is not really hard. Once you remove the screws, you may have to push down on the plastic battery holder, then tip the tail end of the motor up.
My original Badius motor got a bent shaft in a crash. Brent sent me some spares and I easily put one in. Next bad crash pushed the back plate of that motor clear out and bent the brushes. After my last devastating crash, that one still seems to run, and I still have one spare which I'm sure I'll need before long...

Hey, speaking of altitude... how do all of you estimate that? I don't really have a clue!

AJ1202 06-26-2006 06:59 AM

SRay, glad to here the cub made it home, doesn't look too bad, so was there a story as to where it was found

Looks like the rain is moving out so I might maiden the Cub later today, also want to try the formosa again since I got the CG set better. I hated having to add weight to both the Cub and Formosa but I'd hate crashing them because of CG being off worse :)

I started repaing the JES 39 yesterday, I have rebuilt the front section that got mushroomed and now it's back in shape, I made some changes that might help me get it to fly or will make it impossible to fly, I enlarged the canards and made the LE stabs instead of movable, I hope this will make it take less speed to get it to fly so the canards will work better. I just really like the looks of this plane

stokeflyer 06-26-2006 07:24 AM

Hi all,
Going back a while there was lots of talk about cvs cams, I ordered one (I was told it was v3.4), got it today after 5 weeks!!! It reads v33.19 Model 220 arghhhhh
Does anyone know if this can be hacked or am I on a no starter.
Any help would be appreciated
thanks
Rich

Glacier Girl 06-26-2006 07:25 AM

Ken,
The built in bec can only handle so much, power wise, after that the magic smoke appears.
Layman's terms, isn't built to handle the amps/volts you want to pound into it with out overheating badly. All the Ubec is, is a heavier duty bec. Just disconnet the red wire from the plug on the esc that goes into the rx. The Ubec wires into the battery along with the esc and plugs into an open spot on the rx or can be Y connected to any of the servo plugs.

Stingray69 06-26-2006 07:35 AM

Stoke,

I'm out the door so I'll add my 2 cents later about the cvs, news isn't so good, but hope for the future.

Sray

gunfighterII 06-26-2006 07:40 AM

Hi All,
If anyone is interested in some good covering techniques, go here, I have not watched these but I hear MinnFlyer is awful good.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43...tm.htm#4385133

stokeflyer 06-26-2006 07:44 AM

sray,
Thanks for the quick reply,
I've since read a few forums and found a hack that involves using a card reader and probably a masters degree in electronics...lol,
so its not looking good, but I look forward to hearing your input later.
Rich

TerryE 06-26-2006 07:58 AM

500 pages - wow.

Well, I go away for my Anniversary and miss 7 pages of posts!

I am back to work today, so time to catch up. Will post more as I wade through all that I missed!

Just had to get in on page 500...

TE

TerryE 06-26-2006 08:05 AM

I am still catching up, but will post as I do...

Brent: Check these out for servos. I have some and I LOVE them. They are pretty near indestructable.

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...MS660mg&cat=39

TE

ORIGINAL: gunfighterII

Brent,
I would put full size servos on the plane, even though the area is the same your trying to affect 3 times the weight, you can probably put mini's on the rudder, but don't skimp on the others, the plane is only as good as the worst servo. 50oz-in minimum on the others would be my preference. The bigger the plane the more chance of flutter.

Phil,
What would your input be?

gunfighterII 06-26-2006 09:41 AM

Terry,
That's quite a servo. What are you using these in? Any problems?

nyflyer56 06-26-2006 10:34 AM

Terry,
Great servo's but Brent wanted to save weight by using smaller ones. The ones you linked to weigh a bit more than standard servos, but WOW! that's some power!

Page 5001 Wooo Hoooo, We are a chatty bunch aren't we?

SRay,
great news about the Cub. Is the Lipo trashed? Servos may be ok when dry. Happens to float flyers all the time. They sell something called 'STUPH" (I think that's the name that can make them work even underwater. I saw a demo at the WRAMS show. Interesting.

Well less than a week until flying with Brent & Lou. I need to make some quality hobby time this week.
Phil

TerryE 06-26-2006 10:51 AM

GF2;

I guess it is time for me to ‘fess up and take my beating like a man…[:@]

Ok, here goes…

As far as the servos go, I am using one of them for canard control in a all-balsa (built from RCM magazine plans) called the “Dragon”. The servo will pop the canards like crazy. The Dragon is a .40 size (OSMax .46) pusher, and a lot of fun to fly.

First confession: I also fly gassers… [X(] don’t fly them much, since I have a long drive from my house to the “boonies” to fly them.

I have another one I am using for …. I am so gonna get creamed for this…. Steering servo in a emaxx R/C monster truck.
There, I said it, I run trucks as well…second confession ![X(][X(]

The servo is pretty near bulletproof, LOTS of torque, and not one bit of problem despite a lot of hard “bashing” in the truck. For $40 I think it is just about perfect when you need lots of torque, and a quick reaction servo.:)

I also plan to use it in a BIG plane, if I get one. I have been working on a deal lately to get me one of these :
http://www.aerobaticmodels.com/Produ...4/40Yak54.html

So I vote for a 500 foot runway as well :)

TE

gunfighterII 06-26-2006 11:11 AM

Terry,
OH MY[8D] I can probably forgive you for the nitro, but..... A TRUCK!!!!!!:D:D Hey, if that servo works in the truck then it's A-OK. But when you get that 40% Yak, your going to be ganging several of them together on your rudder.

iflyatcae 06-26-2006 04:07 PM

Holy f------n s---t. 500. Nice.

Thanks for those videos Guns, I'll need that when I get to covering my cub.

ktaylor 06-26-2006 05:13 PM

I just got this in the mail today, just going by the size, this is what a 70 amp speed controller should be. [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6063030131&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1]f-dragon 70 amp speed controller[/link]
It's twice the physical size of the 60 amp one I had the magic smoke coming from. ( that one was barely bigger than my Align 25 amp & no bigger than my 40 amp towerpro). THis is huge. 70 continous, and 90 surge. Suweet!

gunfighterII 06-26-2006 05:29 PM

Ken,
I see he has a high torque coreless servo for $12 Tower Pro. I can't convert that damn metric so I don't know the specs.

Shikrabeast 06-26-2006 06:13 PM

Ken, the control arm is connected to the outer hole on both the servo and the elevator. Should I try to move it in?