RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   Parkzone Releases New F27 Stryker Model! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/3323165-parkzone-releases-new-f27-stryker-model.html)

sjchmura 09-08-2005 09:37 PM

RE: Parkzone Releases New F27 Stryker Model!

As others have pointed out (along with you) 33 AMPS through a standard stryker or even a BP21 brushless with a 7x6 prop will blow most speed controls :)
Second, the Dymond-lipo is again $45, no tax,
Weighs 128g (dymond) vs 146g (parkzone). I may not be a rocket scientist and only cure cancer but I think that is more weight :)

So in a F27B do you really think the $95 pack will do any better? No way - it will be slower and glide worse since it will be 15% heavier.

Look, I love this parkzone stuff. I am AMAMZED I can run a lipo and a slightly bigger prop on the stock motor and p51 electronics for 20 hours of flight AFTER at least 3-4 months of 8-9 cell NIMH flight

But for the cost of the "15C" vs "12C" - especially with thunderpower not giving discharge curves and no one - even those running brushless BP21 can tell a differencein flight times, you can buy 5 new MOTORS and 5 props for when mine explodes as you claim!!!!

I Promise promise promise to take pictures of my overheated and exploded stryker

Btw - my friend (David A Kovar PhD) (new to planes - talked him into it) Stryker Gen 1 (JUST GOT IT -why the hell did Parkzone send him Gen1??) EXPLODED IN FIGHT!!!!!!!!!! 7-cell battery caught on TAPE!!!!!!@!!!!!! He is sending the parts to parkzone and the DVD to prove it. It is really really scary. The entire middle just "exploded" with the wings and nose going opposite diretions. The motor was ripped out. He started a sharp dive when it blew up - I can't tell from the video if the electroncis ejected and got crunched in the prop or if the battery ejected, yanked the electronics out, and hit the motor. Looks like he put plastic explosives. Now he is REALLY a PhD rocket scientist and can't figure out how the hell NIMH could explode. Please send condolances and words of encouragement to dakovar@yahoo.(nospam)com. Remove the (nospam)

Thanks again for the help - for now the 2-3 block sailplane like effect of my stock stryker is stunning. I was thinking - ..... pull the nose weight OUT of the nose and move the lipo more forward ...... even more glide!!!!!

dribbe 09-09-2005 08:02 AM

FWIW... as many of you noted, We were out ot stock on Strykers for over 5 weeks before the B's came in.
This was intentional.... So we would not send anyone the 'old' one when the 'new' one was about out.
(Both warehouses were dry for this amount of time!)

The stock Stryker should use a (2100mAh) battery about 8C or better. If you do not intend to use the battery elsewhere in the future, buy a quality battery that fits your needs!

Have Fun!
David

LoudEye 09-09-2005 08:15 AM

So when do you think that the stocks will be replenished? I have had 2 stryker fuses on order now at my LHS in GA for over 3 months.

I don't think Parkzone anticipated that this plane would be so popular!!:D

dribbe 09-09-2005 09:48 AM

Planes and parts have pretty much been in stock for over a week now....

You can see the stock status here:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...ProdID=PKZ1200

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...g&SubCategory=

If EITHER warehouse is out, it will show... Out of Stock.

The elevons and Rx's are about the only significant part that is out at the moment.....
Plane is in stock... fuselage/wing is in stock.

FWIW, We have shipped fuselages EVERY month for the last 5 months.... While they have not been always in open stock, we have mostly had them, and certainly filled back orders at least every month.... You may want to double check with your shop!

Have Fun,
David

ORIGINAL: LoudEye

So when do you think that the stocks will be replenished? I have had 2 stryker fuses on order now at my LHS in GA for over 3 months.

I don't think Parkzone anticipated that this plane would be so popular!!:D

Glacier Girl 09-09-2005 09:54 AM

David,
So when I order today, I'll be assured of getting all Gen3(as we call them) parts?
And do the tail fin covers come with the tail fins or fuselage?
And what the heck, since you're here, did the Mustang get a new thicker material wing?

Thanks
GG

sjchmura 09-09-2005 11:04 AM

Dribbe -

My Elevons are "warping" from use. What do you recommend? Can I "retrofit" the new ones on the F27"A" - are they stronger? Or do you suggest getting a new fusealage and elevons.

Also is it worth it to swap my "A" motor (no metal ring) for a p51 "B" motor that has the metal sleeve? Is that more power.

Btw- my LHS has the 5x3 lipo prop. I will report wattage and flight videos :) Also where cna I upload the props from teh AC, 6-cell, and 7-cell. These old model numbers are what is confusing everyone - trust me - they are no where near the same :)

Steve

MUSIC PUBLISHER 09-09-2005 11:12 AM

Are they selling the whole stryker..without electronics yet?? { and if so ..how much and where}...or does it still need to be bought in pieces??/..and assembled..I have no need for another 27mhz radio system..and would like to use all my own electronics...and was wondwering if a HIMAX 2812-1080 BRUSHLESS MOTOR WOULD EASILY FIT WHERE THE BRUSHED MOTOR MOUNTS....thanks...

dribbe 09-09-2005 01:37 PM

Hi,

RE: Elevons, Sorry, I don't have a lot of help here. The B ones can be used... you can trim off the hinge tabs if they are not helpful. Strength is about the same.

Sounds like your A motor may be a 'golden sample' (good one).
Generally, the B is better, and should be a bit more power, while running cooler.

The LiPo prop is designed for great performance, with good efficiency and life. I am sure you can get better performance for a time with more prop, but other areas will suffer, and catostrophic failures are possible (we, as the MFG need to avoid these whereever possible). Our goal.... less than 14 amps.

David
At this moment, the only way I can be sure to get fin retainers, is to by a complete Stryker B.

ORIGINAL: sjchmura

Dribbe -

My Elevons are "warping" from use. What do you recommend? Can I "retrofit" the new ones on the F27"A" - are they stronger? Or do you suggest getting a new fusealage and elevons.

Also is it worth it to swap my "A" motor (no metal ring) for a p51 "B" motor that has the metal sleeve? Is that more power.

Btw- my LHS has the 5x3 lipo prop. I will report wattage and flight videos :) Also where cna I upload the props from teh AC, 6-cell, and 7-cell. These old model numbers are what is confusing everyone - trust me - they are no where near the same :)

Steve

usmcculp 09-09-2005 01:51 PM

What is the amp draw on the motor on a stock set-up I have a 10amp max esc, will that work.

MUSIC PUBLISHER 09-09-2005 01:59 PM

drib..could you answer my question ??,,thakns

dribbe 09-09-2005 03:46 PM

The Stryker only available as and RTF at this time (with normal spare parts).
Officially, we do not comment on BL motors with the Stryker.... That is the Realm of 'the hobby' at large. ;)

David

sjchmura 09-09-2005 04:25 PM

Dribbe:

IF you could build a "brushless Stryker" "C" model do you realize we would all buy it? How does $249 sound :) You owuld have my cash tomororw.

Please make sure the same Lipos (Thunderpower/Dynmod ) thin long ones fit as before :)

Steve

einniv1 09-09-2005 05:07 PM

Glacier Girl
Do you spray WD-40 direcly on the electronics? And what is the best lube to use?
Thanx

usmcculp 09-09-2005 06:14 PM

What is the amp draw on the motor on a stock set-up I have a 10amp max esc, will that work.

dribbe 09-09-2005 06:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback!
We are always working to make appealing products for our customers.

David

ORIGINAL: sjchmura

Dribbe:

IF you could build a "brushless Stryker" "C" model do you realize we would all buy it? How does $249 sound :) You owuld have my cash tomororw.

Please make sure the same Lipos (Thunderpower/Dynmod ) thin long ones fit as before :)

Steve

MUSIC PUBLISHER 09-09-2005 07:07 PM

actually I think a better seller would be a complete stryker without electronics...I mean this is a common practice amongst great r/c planes that have been big sellers..almost 2 years have passed and parkzone still doesnt offer this option to consumers??I dont understand...many of us have all the components we need/want to install and use with a stryker...but the only real way of doing it is to order a bunch of stryker parts individually and build 1 from scratch,,then install our own equipment...Ive been wanting a stryker for quite a while...but until it can be purhcased by itself without the cost of additional toy type electronics {27 mhz tx/rec.etc.} I will refrain...HOW BOUT IT PARKZONE??...GIVE CONSUMERS A CHOICE ON THIS ONE AFTER 2 YEARS..

dribbe 09-09-2005 07:23 PM

Hi,
I think I have noted before that we have heard this issue and are doing our best to provide solutions for our customers.
Perhaps you have seen our Mustang Offering.... PKZ1570?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...&OverallCatID=

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...g&SubCategory=

Note: Complete painted and decaled aiframe ONLY, with motor, and prop. NO Rx, Tx, Servos, Batteries, or Charger.

Is this type of solution satisactory to you customers?

My normal disclaimer: I cannot discuss whether a product is under development or not.... therefore, I could not discuss unannounced products either.

Have Fun,
David

ORIGINAL: MUSIC PUBLISHER

actually I think a better seller would be a complete stryker without electronics...I mean this is a common practice amongst great r/c planes that have been big sellers..almost 2 years have passed and parkzone still doesnt offer this option to consumers??I dont understand...many of us have all the components we need/want to install and use with a stryker...but the only real way of doing it is to order a bunch of stryker parts individually and build 1 from scratch,,then install our own equipment...Ive been wanting a stryker for quite a while...but until it can be purhcased by itself without the cost of additional toy type electronics {27 mhz tx/rec.etc.} I will refrain...HOW BOUT IT PARKZONE??...GIVE CONSUMERS A CHOICE ON THIS ONE AFTER 2 YEARS..

usmcculp 09-09-2005 07:48 PM

Dribbe can you please answer this question

critterhunter 09-09-2005 07:51 PM

I've heard this argument before and can't understand it. Why do you feel the need to buy a "ready" F27 kit minus electronics? I understand if you don't like the Parkzone electronics but what's the big deal with just ordering the various parts to build one? I say "build" but the parts needed go together in a matter of a few minutes with a scratch build. In fact, most hobby stores have all thos F27 parts sitting right there on the shelf so you don't even have to order them. The only reason I could see wanting a complete Stryker kit minus electronics would be for the painted body. Trust me, as the owner of a stock Stryker with Parkzone electronics AND a BP21 brushless Stryker with standard electronics...the original body will NOT last you long while you learn the bird. I don't care how good of a RC flier you are, until you learn how to give the plane strength at it's weak points you will go through a body or two...along with a verticle fin or flap here and there...and I'd much rather buy these parts on a as needed basis than a whole kit with parts I might not need. As for the paint job, it's better to paint it yourself as the original paint job gets hard to see orientation with if you are doing anything above stock speeds with custom electronics.

dribbe 09-09-2005 08:51 PM

Critter,
I don't think you are taking my point.... Please read my post again.

USM,
No, I don't have that info handy.... Guessing.... Stock may be 11 or 12 amps.

David

MUSIC PUBLISHER 09-09-2005 08:53 PM

understood..and thanks...I guess im just suprised that not only has parkzone not offered a rtf version of the stryker WITHOUT electronics..but also suprised that no company I know of has actually assembled 1 specific order # for all the parts needed to assmeble this plane...most make you order a bunch of different parts..

dribbe 09-09-2005 09:02 PM

Hi, Just keep in mind, we JUST introduced the B.... It is a lot of work to transition many locations to a new product (with any degree of smoothness..... What do you think would happen if we stocked up on a bunch of Stryker A replacement airframes during the process??? (food for thought). Unfortunately (sometimes), we are not a couple of guys bringing this stuff into our garage!

Thinks are planned on the scale of months, not days or a couple of weeks!

Hope you understand the point I am making.... Change is HARD, but we want to deliver the best products to the market possible.... So, we improve the products and make the B.... not because it is easy, but because we know how to make it better for our customers.

Have Fun, [8D]
David

ORIGINAL: MUSIC PUBLISHER

understood..and thanks...I guess im just suprised that not only has parkzone not offered a rtf version of the stryker WITHOUT electronics..but also suprised that no company I know of has actually assembled 1 specific order # for all the parts needed to assmeble this plane...most make you order a bunch of different parts..

sjchmura 09-10-2005 09:26 AM

The "electronics naked" Strker is not a bad idea - godo for replacement. For example, the build quality of the Gen3 F27B looks great and - to be honest - i doon't want to spend 5 hours getting a good paint job :) I like their design. It has a "classic" look to it. So an empty body would be great for those of us who also simply where them out (mine is a gen 1, been running lipos, 9-cells, for about 200 flights - NO CRASHES - but everything is starting to warp).

I would spend the 30 minutes needed to pop in my old electronics to keep my paint job, get the new hinges etc. The pain of PAINTING is not something i want and parkzone should - if I were in charge - really see a demographic. It is amazing but peopel like me are you big advocates. Flying the Stryker at the Univrtsit y of Chicago Cancer Centers and cheered up so many poeple AND had SO SO SO many people come over, chat, want one for their son etc. People like me don't own glue or paint that does not go on walls.

Hence the whole "PRO" version. Throw a nice BP21 or whatevr in there - give me better carbon fiber, cool paint job, and I am off.

The thing that amazes me about the Strk(medown)er is the evelope it flies in and its pure simplicity. SO few moving parts, so durable, so so so maneuverable, the ability (with lipos) to "Glide down the midway (for those that have been to Chicago)" is STUNNING. With full control surfaces to have an almost "3D" like plane - to slow so far you can walk next to it and then STOP the plane and land in a 10 foot circle is fantastic. Then to open up the 11.1V 12C lipo and OVERLOCK the Stock A motor is pretty damn fast :)

My vote: Brushless with Typhoon Electronics for $249 or Brushless no electronics for $150 :)

Glacier Girl 09-10-2005 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: einniv1

Glacier Girl
Do you spray WD-40 direcly on the electronics? And what is the best lube to use?
Thanx
For water proofing, WD works well. Best out there is Corrosion X, but it's sometimes had to get.

critterhunter 09-10-2005 03:39 PM

Dribbie, wasn't replying to your message but rather another one. I still really don't see the need for a ready to fly kit minus the electronics as the parts to build one are easily available and cheap. The stock paint job, while good looking, is pretty hard to keep your eye on it's orientation at anything faster than the stock bird (you more than likely will be flying faster in a "kit" version you throw your own electronics into). If I'm building a faster bird I'd be painting over the stock colors anyway so I can see things better. I prefer a dark bottom with a light top, along with darker colors on the two fins and nose. This really helps to keep things upright and flying in the right direction. Not to mention the fact that a custom build needs re-enforcements in areas such as extra carbon rods and strapping tape...so that pretty paint job is going to be destroyed anyway and a new one will be in order. A build consists of a body (comes with nose) for $20, two verticle fins at $7, a set of flaps with horns for $7, two clevisis for $4, and a 3 piece canopy/hatch/grey cover pack for $7. Beyond that there is the motor mount for $4 or $5 if you want to use the stock one. Now, how hard is it to just buy those parts off the shelf? Like I said before, if you want to feel it's a kit then break out a magic marker and write "F27 Kit" on the box you throw them into. :D