RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   F27 STRYKER -Way Past the Limits Part 6 -Go deeper in to the Dark Side... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/6069877-f27-stryker-way-past-limits-part-6-go-deeper-dark-side.html)

gditeam 08-02-2007 09:23 PM

RE: F27 STRYKER -Way Past the Limits Part 6 -Go deeper in to the Dark Side...

pretty quick indeed. I myself can't wait to build a few up as well. What is the fastest recorded stryker so far?

Gryphon 08-02-2007 09:31 PM

gditeam,

With tail wind... I mean big tail wind.......Buggy.
He dared to fly in high speed winds and come in for a radar reading...He can tell you himself with a single number....

Gryphon

Buggygovroom 08-02-2007 09:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

gditeam,

With tail wind... I mean big tail wind.......Buggy.
He dared to fly in high speed winds and come in for a radar reading...He can tell you himself with a single number....

Gryphon

Flew in very gusty winds and got her to 168. Airframe still held up

gditeam 08-02-2007 09:35 PM

with which setup???

Buggygovroom 08-02-2007 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: gditeam

with which setup???
16/25/3 6s

Chris P. Bacon 08-02-2007 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: BubbleGum

Ace Dude,

Thanks for the link. That gave me the ideas I needed. I searched around the web for PVC fittings and there are 22 1/2 degree elbows available. Though I could only find them in schedule 40 and not the thicker schedule 80. But at least now I can complete a design for a 12' 'catapult' without any bungees with 22 degrees of up angle. Which, come to think of it, without bungees, it really isn't a catapult. Perhaps we should call it a 'take of ramp'?

~James
Are you planning on using just a set or rails w/o the bungee cord? I came across a bunch of pneumatic launchers as well, but that looks like way too much stress on the airframe for me.

gditeam 08-02-2007 09:39 PM

wow that is insane, for some reason I didn't think it could get done with that motor. Wowee amazing

Buggygovroom 08-02-2007 09:42 PM

Granted it was tail wind, but i ran that 3 turn at 2.5 times its rated capacity on a daily basis for quite some time and its still going strong. Its in a friends stryker now pushing a little less than its rated for :)

gditeam 08-02-2007 09:45 PM

Every try and get to the 200 mark with one or is that a bit too far for that body?

Gryphon 08-02-2007 09:48 PM

O.k. secrets revealed:

He propped up more than the 120 MPH setup and I was wrong about his batteries...they were the 25C 2200 or 2100, but either way they were not 20C as I have been posting. Thanks for the correction in that e-mail.

So when you heard me say 16/25/3 can be mild on 3S and low Amps to wild on 6S and high Amps, you see what WILD means.

Edit: you beat me to the post....:D

Gryphon

Buggygovroom 08-02-2007 09:48 PM

I would have liked to, but i dont think its an issue of making the body strong or rigid enough. I think the problem is fitting enough gear in for a 200mph application and have more than a minute or two of runtime.

Off topic but you played a bit of c&c renegade didnt you? :)

Gryphon 08-02-2007 09:57 PM

gditeam,

He wanted to go that fast.
"Gryphon what is needed to go 200"
I'm like...no way...but I have a recipe for 160-170 level flight...you'll need 3000W and a lot of battery with 60 O.Z. total weight.
That killed it right there, well at least for a non thinned wing.

Gryphon

gditeam 08-02-2007 10:01 PM

so what would you consider the perfect stryker setup if you could build one? Why should I start with my own mistakes when I can learn from both of your mistakes. I love the fact that you can go from 3s to 6s and achieve such wild numbers and with the same plane.

Gryphon 08-02-2007 10:07 PM

gditeam,

They are all perfect. To each...their own.

As long as you are having fun and you do what you want, not what someone else corners you into doing with your money.

Think what you want, then research towards it, save for it. Practice for it. Build it and enjoy it.

Be safe and have fun.

Gryphon

Buggygovroom 08-02-2007 10:07 PM

I dont know if this part about modding your stryker has come up in the thread or not but....

Its not just a matter of dropping in hefty gear and lots of batteries and calling it a day. You can just drop big gear in and have a fast stryker but your not getting the full potential out of your setup. The stryker airframe has quite a bit of lift built into the airframe. If you look at my pictures above where there is no covering on the fuse yet you'll notice that the fuse is a bit cloudy. I sanded the wings to make them thinner and more rigid and reinforced key areas to strengthen the airframe. You are actually removing lift from the airframe but reducing drag.

After all is said and done once you pack in all your gear your plane should want to climb on its own very little at full throttle with the ailerons in the neutral position. Having to trim out a lot of climbing will provide a temporary solution and keep you straight but it adds drag an slows you down. The little bit of climbing will come from the thrust angle on the motor mount unless you shim it to 0 degrees.

Buggygovroom 08-02-2007 10:14 PM

my first stryker build i did on my own was a mess. it rolled wildly to the right when it wanted to gain any kind of speed.. had a ton of fiberglass cloth on it and a shabby paint job. Once i worked out the issues I wound up snapping the fuse in half some 300 feet off the deck.

I didn't just change from 3 to 6s. I went from 4s, 60 amp controller and a 6x4 prop to 6s 25c 2100s, 80 amp controller, props from 6.5x5, 6.5x6.5, to 7x7 and max timing advance on my speed control. Every little bit makes the difference. Keep your gear cool and it will be happy.

Even how smooth your final finish is makes a little bit of a difference :)

gditeam 08-02-2007 10:17 PM

I understand the body part and I already am working on one that has the air ducts operable and so forth. I am putting in cf rods throughout and adding a few other little tweaks like filling the body imperfections and getting her smooth. The one thing I am not totally down with is the electronics to achieve those amazing results. I just dont want to buy a motor that can go 80 no prob but is not going to move up in the 120 range without frying and so forth and same goes for the esc, bec and all that jazz.

I just like learning about the "gear" because atm I have 6-10 different setups all written up on paper BUT don't know what would be best. I am really leaning towards that mega motor but still undecided on the esc, props and so forth. I just don't want to buy the stuff and burn it out due to me not researching something.

Gryphon 08-02-2007 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For people who need to make their own motor mount and for people who want to tighten down their motor mount the same every time, here is a neat tool.

It costs under $15, closer to $10???

I bought this one from Factory direct outlet of Black and Decker.

Gryphon

Buggygovroom 08-02-2007 10:29 PM

I pumped 60-70 amps through my 16/25/3 on a regular basis. Get a slide on heat sink, cut it to cover whatever motor can stick out of the mount and squeeze thermal paste between the can and sink.

The phoenix 80 is a great controller. Can't say anything bad about it. I also used the Titan 80 opto which is still going strong

I used a medusa 2a bec and medusa opto isolator.

Before TP had their extreme series battery I used an off brand "extreme" pack which worked but you'll get better results with the TP extreme packs now. I used 2 3 cell packs and harnessed them in series just for space reasons.

There are other options for motors and controllers... there are motors out there like Neu, Lehner, Hacker and controllers such as the Hacker Master series but your looking at huge money to get into these. Your best bang for the buck is going to come from mega and CC hands down.

Buggygovroom 08-02-2007 10:38 PM

Thats making it smaller? i would hate to have seen the origional size :)

Gryphon 08-02-2007 10:46 PM

Something went wrong with RCuniverse, I think.

Other pics were 2 to 3 megs but came out O.K. This was 2 meg.

Thanks for the PM, paint brush program fixed it.

Cool,

Gryphon

Edit: O.K. I'll go make it smaller.:D
Better now.

gditeam 08-02-2007 11:12 PM

I was just looking at the 80 from cc and added it to my list. TPX batteries are amazing and will be added, I just bought some less expensive ones to play with at first as far as putting in series so I will see how it goes.

Here is another question and want to see what you might do to speed up my setup. What would be the fastest setup possible without killing the setup I currently run. 6 series 2k - 40a eflite esc - 3s 2100 batteries - 6 x 5.5 prop. Can I run batteries in series with the setup I have? I am just worried about the motor because I have not heard many pushing the 6 series 2k.

RCHubbub 08-02-2007 11:55 PM

ORIGINAL: tam popo

Info needed guys, please!! One of the smallest and cheapest things on the plane is about to let me down.[:o] Flying my Zagi today and lost complete control on approach - spiralled down. Checked it out and it was the plastic control clevis popped open despite being wrapped in fuse wire (precautionary!!). now the problem is, I have the same type on all 3 Strykers and don't want a repeat. Wot does everyone else use. I used some wire clevis on 2 other planes without mishap. Luckily it was the Zagi which is almost indestructable. Help please[:o]:eek:[>:]
I use HS-81MGs with 2-56 rods and Sullivan Gold'n clevises with retainer clip and gas tube retainer (which probably doesn't add much of anything). I haven't personally tested this in anything other than a stock C in dives with extreme maneuvers, but I don't see why it wouldn't hold up at dark side speeds.

BubbleGum 08-03-2007 02:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Ace Dude
Are you planning on using just a set or rails w/o the bungee cord?
Yahhh. The plane has plenty of power on its own. No bungees needed. Just want a nice smooth guide for the plane to accelerate and launch from. Something more consistent then my arm without the drag of the landing (errm, take off) gear.

tam popo 08-03-2007 02:08 AM

Thanks RChubub: I'll see if I can get those over here, if not see wots available for "gassers" or "Blender Benders"!!!! If no joy I might fabricate my own using tap/die/stockie on blanks. Plastic won't do the job and speed wise I reckon its just a tad better than Stryker C[>:]:DThanks for input.
Gryphon - I don't think you realise how many flyers out there read this thread, even if they don't own a Stryker!! Some flyers just "drop in" for motor/battery/esc info and leave a bit wiser. On one thread (no names at the BBQ) one of the guys has bought a mega to go in a Spitfire, can't wait till its up there[8D]:D I thought I'd retire gracefully but then I met Mr Stryker and his cousins - life will never be the same. Anyway Stryker flying to be done. Byeeee:)