RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/)
-   -   GWS Funny Park? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/park-flyers-backyard-flyers-148/687755-gws-funny-park.html)

baddawg1976 04-11-2003 10:37 AM

GWS Funny Park?

Has anyone flown this yet? I flew in about 20mph wind and it seemed like it stalled easily. Had great power with 9047 prop though.

Zerobomber 04-13-2003 06:52 PM

My Funny Park

I too have just bought a funny park and was dondering if there was any thing i needed to know before building it, and how did it fly?

does any one have any paint sceems, for the funny park or the slowpoke.

baddawg1976 04-14-2003 12:15 AM

GWS Funny Park?

I flew today with no wind and the plane flies nicely if you just want to fly. Also lands very slow and stable.
NO AEROBATICS at all at least I can't get it to do any loops, rolls, andthing. As soon as you pull up it comes to a dead stop. not enough power with 9047 the only thing I can do is nice tail slides. The plane seems to short and you can tell this when flying.

SalvageMan 04-20-2003 02:07 AM

GWS Funny Park?

badDawg;
Some questions;

Where is your CG?
Did you use the supplied modeling clay?
What battery are you using?
Mine flys just fine, loops, rolls, etc.
I did have to redo the battery mounting, and didn't use the clay.

Chuck

baddawg1976 04-20-2003 07:23 AM

GWS Funny Park?

CG is as it says in book and is right on.
Using 8.4 600mah 2/3aa it weighs 15.4ozs
Its like a flying rock to me though.
I did not use the clay.
Has anyone tried the gws 400 and is it much different in power than the 370?

SalvageMan 04-21-2003 04:41 AM

GWS Funny Park?

BadDawg
Try a higher output pack. I use an 8x750 mah NiMH AAA pack and mine is a hoot to fly. I had to split and hinge the cowl so that I could put the pack in thru the firewall. This plane will fly and doesn't mind a little wind. I like to shut the motor off at around 100' and ride the wind down to an almost Harrier-like landing.

Chuck

Derek_TX 04-21-2003 12:27 PM

GWS Funny Park?

Fiddle with your CG, the plane seems very sensitive to CG changes. From a squirrely handful to a no-loop kludge. Mine is a ball of fun with an 8 cell, 700 mAh AAA NiMH pack. Many loops in a row. My battery is as far forward as the firewall.

I didnt bother to measure the CG really accurately, as the posts are all over the place on where it should be. A finger-tip look at the CG has it at roughly 1/3 back from the LE and it is stable, and responsive enough for mild aerobatics. Landings into the wind are truly Harrier style.

Tough plane too. I did coat the lower front fuselage with epoxy to help with the weakness there. Seems frontal impacts are cracking the fuse where the leading edge hits the fuselage. Not so far with my reinforced version.

Mine is 15.1 oz. and I think 16-17 would be fine. Fast take-offs, easily controlled. I can stretch the take-off to 200' without any trouble and then rip straight up into a hammerhead stall at 100 or more feet agl.

jchuston 04-25-2003 02:07 PM

GWS Funny Park?

Hey, will this funny park fly as slow as the Slow Stick??? I want something that will fly in my back yard...I bought a crazy max but it is still a little too hot!!!

Thanks...

-John

baddawg1976 04-25-2003 06:49 PM

GWS Funny Park?

I don't think so unless you have a big back yard.
It will LAND as slow as a slow stick but it flies fairly fast.

baddawg1976 04-25-2003 07:07 PM

GWS Funny Park?

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is:

Derek_TX 04-25-2003 07:13 PM

GWS Funny Park?

You can throttle down and fly slow, but you are on the edge of a stall. The ailerons go on vacation at that speed, so you need to use the rudder to steer, and tips stalls arent too hard to make happen.

Better thing might be to get a plane that is happy with a very slow speed. If you want backyard flight, the slow stick is goos, but the Tiger Moth might be even better. Buy 2 or 4 1020 mAh lithium polymer cells and make 2 cell batteries. Fly 45 min to an hour on a 1.5 oz battery. I stop after 30-40 minutes because my BEC doesnt protect until 5.5volts, low enough to kill the batteries.

The Tiger Moth will hang in the air when flying slow, compared to the Funny Park. The essential element is the low wing loading, about 4 oz/sq foot. The funny park is 8 oz/sf. Select any high camber wing with a 4 oz/sf wing loading to get flight slow enough to make a back yard flying comfortable. IMO of course! :)

donbardo 06-13-2003 05:49 PM

Funny Corsair

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to modify my Funny Park into a warbird-stlye flyer, taking cues from the legendary Corsair (until GWS finally decides to release their version), so here are a few pics.

Mods include removing the landing gear, custom canopy (made out of a 16oz. water bottle), a removeable hatch (makes getting to the batteries a lot easier!) custom decals, and paint job.

Using the stock GWS 270(?) that came with it and a 4-blade prop.

Lemme know what you guys think!!

-brad

donbardo 06-13-2003 05:57 PM

Funny Corsair

1 Attachment(s)
More Pics

donbardo 06-13-2003 05:59 PM

Funny Corsair 2

1 Attachment(s)
More pics

SalvageMan 06-13-2003 05:59 PM

GWS Funny Park?

That's a nice job.

Chuck

donbardo 06-13-2003 05:59 PM

Funny Corsair 3

1 Attachment(s)
More pics

donbardo 06-13-2003 06:04 PM

GWS Funny Park?

Thanks, Chuck!

I love this plane! I, too had to bore through the firewall to get a good CG, but she flies like a dream, now. Loops, rolls, inversions, all the good stuff.

The whole line of GWS is really incredible. They make simply wonderful kits. I have the Beaver, Cub, Mustang (in dry dock) and E-Starter. They are all killer planes!

stuk_at_work 06-13-2003 06:19 PM

Weight?

Brad,

I am curious about the weight impact of your changes (looks great, by the way!). Did you weight your plane before and after the mods? What type of paint did you use, and how was it applied?

Inquiring minds want to know!

donbardo 06-13-2003 07:06 PM

GWS Funny Park?

Stu,

Unfortunately, I did not weigh the plane before I started the mods.

However, with an 8-cell 700mAh powering the GWS Speed 280, it flys great! No complaints at all

Also, without the landing gear, the trade off with the plastic canopy is negligible.

The paint I used was Testors acrylic model paint - styro-safe! I applied it with a spray top, very similar to an airbrush, but not quite as much control. It sprays a very fine coat - very light.

Sorry I don't have more info on the weight.

matthewn7 06-23-2003 06:29 PM

GWS Funny Park?

With the wattage 8x800 mah nimh battery and a 1080 prop it should put out 14 oz of static thrust. This is way more than a speed 400. Great combo.

DrkSdeOTM 07-09-2003 02:16 AM

GWS Funny Park?

Bought a Funny Park Unused, painted, w/servos (experienced modeler)...however, was given no instruction manual...only need to know where to mount my receiver and place battery pack...a little help plz. Thank u

Joe

DrkSdeOTM 07-09-2003 02:19 AM

GWS Funny Park?

One more thing now that I think of it...how and where do you check CG? Thanks

Joe

rotagen 02-12-2005 09:49 PM

RE: GWS Funny Park?

Hey baddawg: I am new to painting foamies. What type of paint (acrylic?, tamiya brand?) did you use to paint your funny park yellow. And did you prime first? with what primer? The paint job looks great.

I tried painting my gws stearman fuse green and it is OK (with tamiya acrylic hobby paints and an airbrush); but nowhere near as nice as your funny park.

thanks.